Notices

Fitness Goals and Overall Health III

Old
08-07-2011, 05:26 PM
Waltah*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by punchedbear View Post
I have been wanting to get a trail bike for some time now. Looks like alot of fun and I used to do so as a kid. They are just dam expensive and I like to eat and have a place to live.
the intial cost to get into it sucks but once you get over that hump it is awesome. i joined a mtb forum , here's a sample of my first ride today.

First time hitting the trail today, may have over did it a bit though. My GPS app paused at 4.5 miles when i took a break and never restarted again. I did about 9.5-10.5 miles in 92+ degree heat. Was hydrated before and during the ride but really lost steam the last couple miles. luckily i stopped mid ride for a snack. Im a runner and have never felt this exhausted after a workout.

overall, an absolute blast. ran into another mtbr member as luck would have it and another local that was very courteous (showed me part of the trails before he had to go). I managed to biff it once, went right over my handlebars at a slow speed over some roots. caught myself though and no issues after that. really got a feel for my gears and when to switch to them. i didnt realize how much you have to pedal , thats for sure. on the street i can just pedal and coast, pedal and coast. not the case today. probably why it took so much out of me. regardless of being in a granny gear my legs were burning at some points.

i was surprised with my balance for my first time out and only having my bike 24hrs. sand can be really tricky but i only had to catch myself with my foot a couple times. other than that i was able to cycle through it. the funnest stuff was climbing some small hills with a ton of roots. i patted myself on the back for granny gearing it through some roots at what seemed to be the speed of smell but i made it

p.s. - the other mtbr member told me to check for ticks before i left....sure enough. 2 on my legs.

Waltah* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2011, 12:55 PM
Fire Julien

vCash: 1340
Quote:
Originally Posted by PurpleShamrock View Post
Personally I found that whole wheat pasta was an acquired taste. I didn't much care for the flavor of it at first. But now I actually like it better than white pasta, and thankfully so does my wife.
It all depends which brand of pasta you buy (unless you make your own). Some of them taste really gritty, papery and chalky.

Fire Julien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2011, 02:24 PM
Rocko604

@Waltah So jealous. Can't wait to get my bike tuned up!!

Anyway, pretty sure there are some rugby players on here (past or present) that could give their $0.02 here.

Back in 2009, at the age of 26, I went out and played rugby for the first time. It was a disaster to say the least. Wasn't in good enough shape, conditioning sucked. To make matters worse, I didn't know much about the game, so I read books and watched videos like a madman. In the end, it just didn't work out. The club didn't really seem to appreciate an out-of-shape rookie come on to a club that already sucked. They decided put me in the #5 position (lock/second row), but didn't teach me anything to do with the scrum, so every time I lined up, I had the outside flanker or #8 yelling at me for one reason or another. The club also didn't have a 3rd Division team (ie. where the beginners and less-dedicated play), so never got any playing time.

Anyway, I left the club, and the game for that matter, last September, after a summer full of foot and back problems. Couldn't run at all.

With the Rugby World Cup fast approaching, I'm getting the itch to play again. I won't go out this season, but use the time to get into the best shape of my life. I'll be going to a larger, more established club (that has a 3rd division team), and one that seems to be welcoming to newbies. While my skill level might be that of a pet rock, I'll go with the adage of "I may lack the skill, but make up for it with fitness". My ultimate goal is to play Rugby 7's at the 2015 World Police and Fire Games in DC.

I'll be 29 at the start of the 2012-13 season.

Rocko604 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2011, 03:31 PM
Kate08
HFBoards Sponsor

I went for what turned out to be a 4 mile walk on the beach today. I'm sure that burned some serious calories considering it was down by the water and it was like quicksand.

Kate08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2011, 03:57 PM
beaverjc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waltah View Post
the intial cost to get into it sucks but once you get over that hump it is awesome. i joined a mtb forum , here's a sample of my first ride today.

First time hitting the trail today, may have over did it a bit though. My GPS app paused at 4.5 miles when i took a break and never restarted again. I did about 9.5-10.5 miles in 92+ degree heat. Was hydrated before and during the ride but really lost steam the last couple miles. luckily i stopped mid ride for a snack. Im a runner and have never felt this exhausted after a workout.

overall, an absolute blast. ran into another mtbr member as luck would have it and another local that was very courteous (showed me part of the trails before he had to go). I managed to biff it once, went right over my handlebars at a slow speed over some roots. caught myself though and no issues after that. really got a feel for my gears and when to switch to them. i didnt realize how much you have to pedal , thats for sure. on the street i can just pedal and coast, pedal and coast. not the case today. probably why it took so much out of me. regardless of being in a granny gear my legs were burning at some points.

i was surprised with my balance for my first time out and only having my bike 24hrs. sand can be really tricky but i only had to catch myself with my foot a couple times. other than that i was able to cycle through it. the funnest stuff was climbing some small hills with a ton of roots. i patted myself on the back for granny gearing it through some roots at what seemed to be the speed of smell but i made it

p.s. - the other mtbr member told me to check for ticks before i left....sure enough. 2 on my legs.

One of those pictures looks like my underwear after the Bruins won game 7....

beaverjc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2011, 05:37 PM
reidy
@reidjjackson

Send a message via AIM to reidy
Anyone ever done Pendlay rows before? Just started mixing these in, and I'm really liking them over standard barbell rows. The movement is more explosive and I think it taxes the overall CNS more than regular rows.

Try mixing them in if you're a weight lifter.

reidy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2011, 06:57 PM
WBC8

Send a message via AIM to WBC8
Quote:
Originally Posted by thegodfather View Post
Day 2 of Insanity. Just completed the Plyometric Cardio Circuit and then took the dog for a walk. Seemed to get hotter out as the walk went on. Now I'm going for a swim.

Hey Lou; I have no clue what your cardio is like, but it can't be much worse then mine; but I'd say if you can get your hands on a copy of Insanity it's worth doing it.

Today naturally I had to stop during some of the exercises but I didn't stop for long and got right back into it. It really raises the heart rate and I think I'm going to have to buy a heart rate monitor watch. There were times my heart was racing, but I paused the video and let it come down and then went at it again.

So far I'm happy with it. Blows my step out of the water...
Man congrats...I start p90x on the 22nd...been walking through it...I can do the weights part no problem, but Plyo and Kempo may be tough...

WBC8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2011, 02:23 PM
ksp1957

vCash: 361
Send a message via AIM to ksp1957
Well, I've met my first goal and then a bit more. I lost almost 3 pounds in the last week so I'm below 208 pounds. Next week is the last Weight Watchers at work session for this series until September. Hope I manage without the classes and the ETools thing stops in about 3 weeks because I'm waiting for the new class to start. I hope to reach goal #2 of 195 pounds during that class and hit final goal in the third set of classes.

Oh I DID get my phone service back. Yay for Verizon. I don't have to change phone companies and I can stop ripping Verizon a new a-hole.

ksp1957 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2011, 03:48 PM
ksp1957

Quote:
Originally Posted by thegodfather View Post
Congrats Ken on reaching your goal.

Can't you find those ETools on the WW site ?

You can do it though.
Thanks, GF. I can do it this way because I get the tools for free when I enroll in the class. By the way, I'm down to 40 WW points which is still more than Kate08 gets per day , but, before all is said and done, I should be down to 30 points soon.

Old
08-09-2011, 04:17 PM
Cid

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhamBamCam8 View Post
Man congrats...I start p90x on the 22nd...been walking through it...I can do the weights part no problem, but Plyo and Kempo may be tough...
Soon you will be able to do more pull-ups than Tony Horton himself!

Cid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2011, 05:59 PM
BubbaBoot

Quote:
finally had the funds to get a bike. been wanting to get back into the mtb'ing game for awhile now. need something to do when im on an off day from running.

how epic is this color combo? (no its not why i got the bike) lol!

did 15 "urban" miles today and hitting a local trail tomorrow. wish me luck.

Oooooo, very nice wheels. What is it? I can't tell....

Mine is just a piece of crap hybrid I picked up at a yard sale 10 years ago for $25. I want a new one but I only use it for commuting to work....can't see the point in dropping 4 or 5 bill$ right now.

BubbaBoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2011, 10:12 PM
Waltah*

took another 9+ mile trail ride today. was getting dark so i wussed out and bailed early. the forest gives me the heebeejeebies as it gets dark

Old
08-10-2011, 03:17 AM
svat

any guru's in this thread know some good low-impact cardio exercises? i started dieting in feburary, started dieting and exercising in about april-may, and went from about 230/225 to about 170 right now. i'm not even close to being finished though, and still have about 30-35 pounds to lose (i'm really short).

i recently broke my ankle though, and i have a check-up with my surgeon on august 30, which is when im supposed to be able to walk. I wanna get back to doing cardio, but i doubt i'll be able to do things i was doing like running, playing road hockey and jumping rope. should i just stick to swimming, or are there other good cardio exercises i should know about?

svat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2011, 05:29 AM
Waltah*

Quote:
Originally Posted by svat View Post
any guru's in this thread know some good low-impact cardio exercises? i started dieting in feburary, started dieting and exercising in about april-may, and went from about 230/225 to about 170 right now. i'm not even close to being finished though, and still have about 30-35 pounds to lose (i'm really short).

i recently broke my ankle though, and i have a check-up with my surgeon on august 30, which is when im supposed to be able to walk. I wanna get back to doing cardio, but i doubt i'll be able to do things i was doing like running, playing road hockey and jumping rope. should i just stick to swimming, or are there other good cardio exercises i should know about?
cycling or elliptical come to mind

Old
08-10-2011, 07:42 AM
BMC
PerJohan Axelsson

vCash: 50
Quote:
finally had the funds to get a bike. been wanting to get back into the mtb'ing game for awhile now. need something to do when im on an off day from running.

how epic is this color combo? (no its not why i got the bike) lol!

did 15 "urban" miles today and hitting a local trail tomorrow. wish me luck.

Nice color scheme

BMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2011, 08:55 AM
Cid

Quote:
Originally Posted by svat View Post

For starters, swimming is your best bet. At least until you get the go ahead to start light exercise on the bad ankle.

Then I would suggest the rowing machine or bike. You want to try and keep your full weight off of it until it's feeling better.

Next up could be an elliptical or stair-master once you are comfortable putting your full body weight on it.

Then finally return to the treadmill for walking and light jogging before progressing to a run.

Skipping, and anything involving jumping would certainly be once you are 100%.

Old
08-10-2011, 09:23 AM
ksp1957

Quote:
cycling or elliptical come to mind
My vote is for the stationary bike. The elliptical puts a lot of pressure on your legs and probably your ankle but th stationary bike doesn't put AS much pressure of them. Ask your doctor for what he recommends before you proceed.

Old
08-10-2011, 02:11 PM
svat

thanks guys, i think i also will have some scheduled physio appointments where i can ask some similar questions

svat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2011, 02:15 PM
Cid

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksp1957 View Post
My vote is for the stationary bike. The elliptical puts a lot of pressure on your legs and probably your ankle but th stationary bike doesn't put AS much pressure of them. Ask your doctor for what he recommends before you proceed.
Not always the smartest thing to do. Most doctors are CLUELESS when it comes to physical exercise or rehab/physio. They really don't know what they are talking about, for the most part. They are trained in medicine and know very little in ways of exercise physiology.

For a break at a major joint, always go see a registered/licensed physio-therapist for proper exercise prescription. Then once range of motion and strength are returned maybe a personal trainer to help build up the strength further.

Common sense though for this particular case would be LOW impact (bike, rower, swimming) and to avoid anything weight bearing. (treadmill, elliptical)

Old
08-10-2011, 03:04 PM
reidy
@reidjjackson

Send a message via AIM to reidy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cid View Post
Not always the smartest thing to do. Most doctors are CLUELESS when it comes to physical exercise or rehab/physio. They really don't know what they are talking about, for the most part. They are trained in medicine and know very little in ways of exercise physiology.

For a break at a major joint, always go see a registered/licensed physio-therapist for proper exercise prescription. Then once range of motion and strength are returned maybe a personal trainer to help build up the strength further.

Common sense though for this particular case would be LOW impact (bike, rower, swimming) and to avoid anything weight bearing. (treadmill, elliptical)
What this guy said.

Most MDs recommend no more than 50g of protein per day no matter who you are, are advocates of low fat diets, and they see weight training as a potentially life-threatening hobby.

reidy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2011, 03:18 PM
ksp1957

Quote:
Originally Posted by reidy View Post
What this guy said.

Most MDs recommend no more than 50g of protein per day no matter who you are, are advocates of low fat diets, and they see weight training as a potentially life-threatening hobby.
Good point. The best thing my docs have done is a) refer me for cardiac rehab and b) refer me to physical therapy when I trashed my knee. I'll just settle for my doc making up his ****ing mind where my Coumadin level should be. Is it 2.3 like I was told today or between 2.5 and 3.5 like he's told me every blood draw since the heart surgery ? I'm beginning to think it's time for a new doctor.