HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Notices

Mario in NHL 12!?!?!

Old
08-09-2011, 07:15 PM
Gooch

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by sina220 View Post
They fixed most all of this for 11 and will only improve upon it for 12.

The potential was adjusted for 10 and tweaked more for 11. Perfect example I drafted sven baertschi in my NHL 11 dyansty as a b-, c-, b- potential in off, def, and athletics respectively. 2 years later he's now a-,c-,a- and is a 76 overall.

The reason his potential went up is because I have my assistant coach upgraded to nearly the max. This is what most people who complain about the development system don't understand, even as far back as 09'. If you say "I want player x to work on skating" and you only see his defensive ratings going up, it's not the game, it's the fact that your assistant coach isn't upgraded and that affects how accurately a player follows your training.

Regarding scouting and potential I think it's pretty real, for a video game. Players who end up ranked in the 1st round have the highest chances for good potential, and as you go down rounds so do players potential. Why would the game give you potential ratings when everyone would just draft all those high potential guys first regardless of how terrible they were? By giving you just a players current ratings (again based on your amature scouts level you get more accurate ratings) it forces you to actually choose players whose skillsets you want and actually "scout" the players rather than just take the best "potential" guy every time. If they don't pan they don't pan, just like real life. And knowing that potential ratings can change based on how well you've leveled up your assistant coach you actually can "develope" players by giving them lots of ice time in the minors and giving them call-ups, like I did with Sven in my dynasty.

Personally I think the system works quite well, everyone just either forgets to upgrade their coaches and scouts, doesn't know how to, or are too lazy to earn the points to do it.

It's a complex algorythm or whatever. A prospects ice time, production, call ups, playoff production, and the level of your assistant coach all affect the players ability to progress in varying degrees depending on the amount of each. I usually try to get a rookie I really like at least 10 NHL games his first pro/AHL season, just because it seems to really boost development. As does calling AHL players up to your roster for NHL playoff games.
I take it you havent played EHM before but the way they do drafting, scouting, and player development is light years ahead of EA's NHL game and they were doing it a long time ago on a much lower budget.

Why should the scouts reveal the potential? Well then what's the point of having a scout? They're supposed to tell you who's going to be something special. For instance in EHM you hired individual scouts who had different rankings and you assigned them to scout in whatever league. They'd all different reports on the players and a lot of the time they're wrong but it's the fun in it that you're trusting your scouts. Every once in a while you find a gem in the late rounds just like in real life.

In the EA series it just seemed so lifeless. You'd assign your scout to unrealistic targets like all defensemen in Canada and then all he'll return is the current ratings for various skills of those players. What is that supposed to do for you? What about players that are rough around the edges now but have extremely high upside? That scouting system does nothing for that.

Then draft day rolls around and with that we get one of the dumbest trade mechanisms ever. You have to make trades inbetween rounds. That completely defeats the whole purpose of making trades during the draft as you're often looking for a player who is falling farther than he should.

NHL10 was the last game I bought of this series and after they hyped the crap out of franchise mode saying they overhauled it. I played the game for a few days and it's been collecting dust since then. I felt the same way I did when I got suckered into purchasing the various Fable games when they came out, all hype and no substance.

Gooch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2011, 08:33 PM
hockeyplayer168

1. Add Mario and Gretzky to NHL 11.

2. Call it NHL 12.

3. Charge $60.

hockeyplayer168 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2011, 10:51 PM
OnMyOwn
Extremist

2k did all decade teams for years....wish ea would pick up on that

OnMyOwn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2011, 10:56 PM
BLASPHEMOUS
**** THE KING

vCash: 447
Quote:
Originally Posted by MetalheadPenguinsFan View Post
Hmmm.

To buy...or not to buy....

That. Is the question....
Whether 'tis nobler in the mind to suffer the slings and arrows of outrageous fortune, or take arms against a sea of troubles........

BLASPHEMOUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2011, 08:47 AM
M0NTY26
Force from Ma'gorsk

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyplayer168 View Post
1. Add Mario and Gretzky to NHL 11. Make goalies live. Give the players true physics. Make other smaller refinements to the gameplay and gamemodes.

2. Call it NHL 12.

3. Charge $60.
It's an annual sports game people. It's not like it's some RPG franchise thats slapped with a new story each installment. It's a sport game. Sports don't change.

As hockey fans that enjoy video games, we should consider ourselves lucky amongst sport fans that like to buy the sports video game, bc the NHL franchise is far and away the best out there. They do the most work year to year to improve their games, and each year they get better and better.

No one's forcing you to buy them, so why go into threads concerning the new games and bring in negativity about how you aren't going to buy the game. No one cares.

Just move along.

M0NTY26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2011, 09:07 AM
froods
Millerrrrrrr!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Certified Assassin View Post
I stand corrected. It appears there will be a legends team in the game, and Mario will be one of them. So does that mean we can move Mario over the current Pens roster, and trade for Jagr??? Sid, Geno, Mario, Jagr?

In any case, I pre-ordered this game about 3 weeks ago through amazon for my 360.

Got it for 30 bucks with free shipping, had some amazon credit. Excited to play this game.
You are gonna put Jagr on your team? I fixed the rosters on NHL11 and Orpik leads the league in majors, just from plastering Jagr into the boards every time I play Philthy!

froods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2011, 09:54 AM
spcastlemagic

Quote:
Originally Posted by M0NTY26 View Post
It's an annual sports game people. It's not like it's some RPG franchise thats slapped with a new story each installment. It's a sport game. Sports don't change.

As hockey fans that enjoy video games, we should consider ourselves lucky amongst sport fans that like to buy the sports video game, bc the NHL franchise is far and away the best out there. They do the most work year to year to improve their games, and each year they get better and better.

No one's forcing you to buy them, so why go into threads concerning the new games and bring in negativity about how you aren't going to buy the game. No one cares.

Just move along.
Yeah, it's not a final fantasy game... but they charge you just as much for it.

I like NHL. I play it a lot. That doesn't mean that EA Sports doesn't severely half-ass it on certain things. Goalie fights are neat, but I would prefer the AI to be revamped before you add a feature that doesn't impact gameplay at all.

spcastlemagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2011, 10:57 AM
ds246pit

I love the EA games as far as where they have come since 2008. The new changes could make it more appealing but i agree with what most of the posters here are saying that it does seem like NHL 11 1.5.

The one thing i've been complaining to EA about alot (for both Madden and NHL) is making the online dynasty comparable to the offline dynasty. IMO the HUD crap is boring and a waste of time. Advancing in the area of an online dynasty with trades and free agency and careers is way more intriguing for a group of guys.

We are in our 6th season of NCAA football online Dynasty and it is amazing. The recruiting and development is amazing. I fail to see why NHL and Madden cannot adopt some of the traits for that system in order to make it more entertaining.

ds246pit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2011, 11:36 AM
Gooch

Quote:

Just move along.
MLB the Show is far and away better than EA's NHL series. I havent played it but I hear the 2k basketball game is also very good, but you couldnt pay me to play basketball. So we're competing against Madden which has a monopoly and uh... well EA now has a monopoly with the NHL as well, also FIFA is better than the NHL series as well.

Old
08-10-2011, 02:01 PM
BLASPHEMOUS
**** THE KING

vCash: 447
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gooch View Post
MLB the Show is far and away better than EA's NHL series. I havent played it but I hear the 2k basketball game is also very good, but you couldnt pay me to play basketball. So we're competing against Madden which has a monopoly and uh... well EA now has a monopoly with the NHL as well, also FIFA is better than the NHL series as well.
I hate Basketball, I really do, but NBA 2K11 is indisputably the greatest sports game ever made. Hell, EA Sports had to cancel NBA Live 2011 because of how good NBA 2K11 was, and consider Live is made by EA that really tells you something.

BLASPHEMOUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2011, 02:52 PM
MrBurgundy*
Time to move forward

Yeah... usually EA is where creativity and innovation go to die. There are only a few select games that break that stereotype.

MrBurgundy* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2011, 03:42 PM
hockeyplayer168

Quote:

Just move along.
They do the most work to improve their games? Really? Do you have some evidence to back that up or just a few gimmicks each year that capture your imagination for 4 days? OMG broken sticks weeeee!!

Putting it nicely, if they really do the most work to improve their game, then their priorities are sorely misplaced.

hockeyplayer168 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2011, 03:49 PM
AugustBurnsRed*
Invisible Calls

Yeah EA could do better sometimes. Every game could be better... besides Battlefield, Battlefield is perfect

Why do people complain so much? The NHL series is very good.. yeah it's not perfect.. oh well.

AugustBurnsRed* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2011, 04:26 PM
Gooch

Quote:
Originally Posted by AugustBurnsRed View Post
Yeah EA could do better sometimes. Every game could be better... besides Battlefield, Battlefield is perfect

Why do people complain so much? The NHL series is very good.. yeah it's not perfect.. oh well.
well I know in my case that I am desperately trying to find something playable past EHM07 and since sports interactive has stopped even selling that I don't see them taking up that cause again. So I like others are stuck with what EA decides to do with their NHL license and since 2k pulled out now where really screwed because there is even less incentive to make a good product.

Old
08-10-2011, 04:30 PM
M0NTY26
Force from Ma'gorsk

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyplayer168 View Post
They do the most work to improve their games? Really? Do you have some evidence to back that up or just a few gimmicks each year that capture your imagination for 4 days? OMG broken sticks weeeee!!

Putting it nicely, if they really do the most work to improve their game, then their priorities are sorely misplaced.
You might think it's just advertising on their part, but when they put how many awards they've won at the start of their videos, there is a reason for them.

They also add much more than broken sticks for christ sake. BAP is one of their greatest features, and they were the first to implement it online. EASHL is ****ing amazing lol. HUT is great. Using the analog sticks to control your players stick. They've been the first to integrate this ideas and now everyone else is following in their paths.

EA NHL has created a lot of features that the other branches have eventually implemented into their games.

Yes, you look at what NHL does with their games and compare it to ANY other sports franchise and NHL is the best at constantly making their games better. Hell, Madden has been the same game for nearly a decade in its core mechanics. Baseball games could've been included in that sentence, except they now use a analog to mimic pitching and swinging the bat... which EAs NHL first integrated. The only things that've changed with golf is they too now use the stick to swing the club.

Again, it's a sport game. It's not going to change much year to year. It's ignorant to complain that it doesn't change much year to year. They play hockey the same today as they did ten years ago, so you shouldn't expect the game to change much lol. Esp. in todays age where video games are so ridiculous in their appearance and mechanics.

Old
08-10-2011, 04:35 PM
M0NTY26
Force from Ma'gorsk

Quote:
The Show is amazing. Thats the greatest sports game ever made. As far as the 2kbasketball, it's a good game, but you'll see the basketball fans that buy it every year saying the same things you see NHL fans buying NHL games every year... it's just a roster update.

BTW, I've bought the show every year since 06 and quite honestly, not much has changed in that time.

Also, I really dont see how the FIFA franchise is better. What exactly makes them better. They add about just as much annually as NHL does. I love FIFA and their franchise; they make great games, but I'd hardly call it better.

Old
08-10-2011, 05:05 PM
Gooch

Quote:
The Show is amazing. Thats the greatest sports game ever made. As far as the 2kbasketball, it's a good game, but you'll see the basketball fans that buy it every year saying the same things you see NHL fans buying NHL games every year... it's just a roster update.

BTW, I've bought the show every year since 06 and quite honestly, not much has changed in that time.

Also, I really dont see how the FIFA franchise is better. What exactly makes them better. They add about just as much annually as NHL does. I love FIFA and their franchise; they make great games, but I'd hardly call it better.
Not much has changed with the show each year but that is because they have a product that doesnt need as much done to it. They also have a great user community with rosters uploaded that you can download and try, to me those make the game amazing when you get Knights OSFM roster.

FIFA whenever I have played it has been an enjoyable game, and I really enjoyed the manager mode on it which to me blew away the franchise mode on NHL.

Out of all the sports games my least enjoyable experience is from playing the NHL series, I even like Madden better. The main reason why is that for the most part I go to franchise modes and I sim more than I play and thats where the NHL series is just bad. When theres bad scouting, bad draft, and bad player growth and trading engines then it makes for a bad experience for the type of game I play. They could keep their gameplay the way it is for all care but if they even half assed attemped to put some of the complexities and detail into the franchise side that EHM has then I'd probably be all over it and purchase it 1st day it comes out like I used to.

Old
08-11-2011, 03:53 AM
wej20

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelTownFever View Post
Yeah... usually EA is where creativity and innovation go to die. There are only a few select games that break that stereotype.
I think that use to be the case but EA have definitely improved recently, though I do agree that this year's NHL doesn't seem to have a lot of innovation (though I'll still shell 38 for it)

wej20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2011, 08:33 AM
M0NTY26
Force from Ma'gorsk

Quote:
The first three Legends are revealed! See Ray Bourque, Chris Chelios and The Great One back in action on the ice in NHL 12's Legends Mode!

http://www.gametrailers.com/video/ex...-nhl-12/718871
In the newest trailer it says you can add legends to any team. Mario on Sids line. W00T W00T

Old
08-12-2011, 08:35 AM
MrBurgundy*
Time to move forward

Quote:
In the newest trailer it says you can add legends to any team. Mario on Sids line. W00T W00T
Well technically you could just create him in any of the games and put him on the Pens...

I can't exactly get too excited about this development for that fact alone.

MrBurgundy* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2011, 09:54 AM
Beauner
Bye Bye Bylsma

Yeah if the legends thing was the "big announcement" then I would be real disappointed. It's really not a big deal. Legends will be nice for HUT, which is 97% of what I play but other than that I don't see the point.

Beauner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2011, 10:58 AM
M0NTY26
Force from Ma'gorsk

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelTownFever View Post
Well technically you could just create him in any of the games and put him on the Pens...

I can't exactly get too excited about this development for that fact alone.
Sure, you could create him and have some generic looking representation thats only resemblance is the sweater, number and name on the back of it.

Now you'll have the sweater, the name, the number, and the model looking exactly like Mario.

Which one sounds more win to you?

Old
08-12-2011, 03:27 PM
thegenerel*

Quote:
FIFA whenever I have played it has been an enjoyable game, and I really enjoyed the manager mode on it which to me blew away the franchise mode on NHL.
Unfortunately the Manager mode was pretty much gutted in FIFA 11

thegenerel* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2011, 03:58 PM
Dan Barr

Quote:
Sure, you could create him and have some generic looking representation thats only resemblance is the sweater, number and name on the back of it.

Now you'll have the sweater, the name, the number, and the model looking exactly like Mario.

Which one sounds more win to you?
Oh gee golly, surely the one with the face modeled after his!

Dan Barr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-18-2011, 01:43 PM
ds246pit

http://www.ea.com/nhl/videos/nhl12-legend-final-unveil-

It is official!! Looks scary seeing him a Leaf jersey. Any predictions on what he is going to be rated?

Also how about that crazy center depth. Staal would be a 4th liner if you don't convert Malkin

Neal-Lemieux-Sullivan
Kunitz-Crosby-Dupuis
Cooke-Malkin-Kennedy
Adams-Staal-Asham

Now it is really disappointing that Jagr didn't sign. That would have been fun

ds246pit is offline   Reply With Quote