Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Minnesota Wild
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Charlie Coyle Will Be X-Factor In Burns Trade

Old
08-10-2011, 06:05 PM
BuddyMcCormick

vCash: 500
IF people are that interested we could divvy up draft years and take a crack at it for the past 10 years or so.

BuddyMcCormick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2011, 06:13 PM
squidz*
dun worry he's cool

We'd need someone with a good grasp of statistics. I know it's been far too long since I've done any of that type of regression to remember how to do it.

squidz* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2011, 06:41 PM
BLBarmada

Quote:
Originally Posted by this providence View Post
I want them in college developing different aspects of their games and physical condition, not spending the majority of their time traveling and playing game after game. Not to mention both are in very good programs. It would be absolutely foolish for them to step down a notch and go to the major junior
level.
The CHL is a higher caliber of play then the NCAA so that ends there. Yes they're at good programs, but they could choose their teams in
the CHL.

To the poster who said that they could get an education in college hockey, They could get one in Canada too.

Anyways it's a moot point, they won't be playing CHL.

BLBarmada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2011, 06:44 PM
this providence
Chips in Bed Theorem

Don't agree. Especially in the conferences that these two play in. Lets just say this, good luck bringing this argument into a venue where college hockey is king.

After Meaningless Win - 3/29/12 - Game 77 | SoH-"Who knows, that could have cost us a Cup tonight." | Dooohkay
this providence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2011, 06:49 PM
squidz*
dun worry he's cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTLjunior View Post
To the poster who said that they could get an education in college hockey, They could get one in Canada too.

Anyways it's a moot point, they won't be playing CHL.
No.

There aren't any other words for this but no.

Old
08-10-2011, 06:51 PM
llamapalooza
Hockey State Expat

Quote:
Originally Posted by squidz View Post
We'd need someone with a good grasp of statistics. I know it's been far too long since I've done any of that type of regression to remember how to do it.
I can't say I've got a great grasp, as I haven't really done stats since HS, but I'm a current math major, so I'd at least have some ability, resources (friends in the right places, too), and motivation.

llamapalooza is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2011, 06:52 PM
BLBarmada

Quote:
No.

There aren't any other words for this but no.
I'm not gonna argue with you cause we both know that an NCAA education is better, but in the CHL these kids would have their education payed for.

Old
08-10-2011, 06:54 PM
BLBarmada

Quote:
Don't agree. Especially in the conferences that these two play in. Lets just say this, good luck bringing this argument into a venue where college hockey is king.
Ya no... Im sure that they play in good conferences, but the O and the dub are easily better, if it was the Q then maybe, but seeing as the Sea Dogs are the reigning memorial cup champs the Q isn't that bad.

Old
08-10-2011, 07:10 PM
this providence
Chips in Bed Theorem

I feel quite confident that these teams would fare extremely well against major junior squads. Big difference in physical maturity of these players in each league. There's some top level talent on some of CHL teams, but the drop off on down after them is severe when you compare at NCAA level.

Old
08-10-2011, 07:17 PM
BLBarmada

Quote:
I feel quite confident that these teams would fare extremely well against major junior squads. Big difference in physical maturity of these players in each league. There's some top level talent on some of CHL teams, but the drop off on down after them is severe when you compare at NCAA level.

I agree with you that the top NCAA teams and the top CHL teams can go toe to toe.

Your right about the physical maturity bit, that's where a lower end CHL team would probably lose more often then not to say Havard.

But MOST CHL teams are better at producing pro players and the CHL has more high end talent.

The argument is a tough one and I am biased but I still say that the CHL is better but it really is men against boys in terms of NCAA VS CHL.

The physical maturity in the NCAA is higher then the CHL but not the caliber of play.

Old
08-10-2011, 07:28 PM
squidz*
dun worry he's cool

Quote:
I agree with you that the top NCAA teams and the top CHL teams can go toe to toe.

Your right about the physical maturity bit, that's where a lower end CHL team would probably lose more often then not to say Havard.

But MOST CHL teams are better at producing pro players and the CHL has more high end talent.

The argument is a tough one and I am biased but I still say that the CHL is better but it really is men against boys in terms of NCAA VS CHL.

The physical maturity in the NCAA is higher then the CHL but not the caliber of play.
Players who have (to use Gillies' word) a man-body are not well served by playing overage in the CHL. When you're capable of beating the opponent simply by physically overpowering them, you're not going to learn and you're not going to get better. The AHL might be the best place for Coyle or Zucker this year, though with how crowded Houston is, I don't think that would be advisable for them or other Wild prospects. Of the other options in North America, the NCAA is a much better place for these two particular players to develop.

Old
08-10-2011, 07:41 PM
BLBarmada

Quote:
Players who have (to use Gillies' word) a man-body are not well served by playing overage in the CHL. When you're capable of beating the opponent simply by physically overpowering them, you're not going to learn and you're not going to get better. The AHL might be the best place for Coyle or Zucker this year, though with how crowded Houston is, I don't think that would be advisable for them or other Wild prospects. Of the other options in North America, the NCAA is a much better place for
these two particular players to develop.
Like you implied it depends in the player.

Old
08-10-2011, 08:39 PM
Rabid Husky

vCash: 539
I for one would love to see the Frozen Four teams face off with the Memorial Cup teams. I think some CHL fans would get quite an education on the physical play and defense that the NCAA teams play.

Rabid Husky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2011, 09:28 PM
forthewild

every player is different, some players are better served in college then they would be in CHL. Hell even Leddy who played for what many consider a bad U of M team is doing fine in the NHL and showed real good signs of growth and i think in large part that is to the staff and players Chicago has that are guiding him. Which is what both BU and Denver have a strong coach and a good program in two major hockey divisions.

the other aspect of growth is mental, there is a reason the Wild are letting their guys stay in college, same reason they are letting Granlund stay in Finland, and Larrson and Brodin in europe, they won't want the guy to leave before he's mature enough to leave, it would be different if the Wild felt the programs were bad but i think our management feels that these players are in a good place and won't mess with them.

forthewild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2011, 09:42 PM
BLBarmada

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabid Husky View Post
I for one would love to see the Frozen Four teams face off with the Memorial Cup teams. I think some CHL fans would get quite an education on the physical play and defense that the NCAA teams play.
I think that Jonathan Huberdeau would teach the Minnesota-Duluth
Bulldogs a few lessons.

The Sea dogs would win 9/10 times, the Majors too for that matter.

Old
08-10-2011, 09:57 PM
this providence
Chips in Bed Theorem

I think you severely under-estimate the talent on these teams. Especially the overall talent base up and down the rosters in relation to each separate league. If the top teams were to ever play a 3 or 5 game series, CHL teams wouldn't stand much of a chance in my opinion.

Hell, if one of these teams were to show up for a weekend series in Grand Forks, that plane ride home may as well just be one giant bag of frozen peas for those teenagers.

Old
08-10-2011, 10:20 PM
edgevolution
GO USA!

As much as I hate say it, being a gopher fan, UND would utterly destroy most of the CHL. They're just so physically mature compared to the CHL teams. It's not that their talent level is higher, it's that most of the players are 20-23 years old.

edgevolution is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2011, 10:45 PM
BLBarmada

Quote:
I think you severely under-estimate the talent on these teams. Especially the overall talent base up and down the rosters in relation to each separate league. If the top teams were to ever play a 3 or 5 game series, CHL teams wouldn't stand much of a chance in.
Hell, if one of these teams were to show up for a weekend series in Grand Forks, that plane ride home may as well just be one giant bag of frozen peas for those teenagers.
Yea.... the Sea Dogs would win, 5 1st round picks on their Memorial cup championship team, they're program is quickly becoming the best in the Q.

How many NCAA teams had ever boasted 5 1st round picks on their team ???

Old
08-10-2011, 11:00 PM
BuddyMcCormick

Quote:
Yea.... the Sea Dogs would win, 5 1st round picks on their Memorial cup championship team, they're program is quickly becoming the best in the Q.

This is a serious question, how old are you?

Old
08-10-2011, 11:16 PM
Victorious Secret
Eyebrows Defcon 1

Quote:

Really? I'd say there have been a few. And from one of my favorite teams the 05-06 Fighting Sioux.

Joe Finley 27th in '05
Jonathan Toews 3rd in '06
Travis Zajac 7th in 2005
Brian Lee 9th in '05
T.J. Oshie24th in '05

Since you obviously can't handle having only one example thrown in your face I'll throw in another one.

Jim O'Brien 29th 2007
Blake Wheeler 5th '04
David Fischer 20th '06
Erik Johnson 1st '06
Kyle Okposo 7th '06

not to mention other assorted draft picks.

Last edited by GopherState: 08-13-2011 at 06:35 PM. Reason: Editing the Edit
Victorious Secret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2011, 11:20 PM
Rabid Husky

vCash: 539
Quote:

You don't need to be a first round draft pick to beat one. NCAA teams are older, stronger, more experienced, and play IMO, better team hockey than their CHL counterparts. The Sea Dogs may win, but they would not destroy anyone in this past years Frozen Four. It's not about NHL potential when a team of 16-20 year olds play teams who are 18-24 years old. The physical maturity and experience do matter.

Rabid Husky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2011, 11:27 PM
BuddyMcCormick

Not to mention that isn't not like 1st rounders don't come from the college ranks either. Heck, some of the kids that do go to college get selected before they even get there. So while it may not appear that a lot of college kids get drafted in the first round (There's still some that do) chances are a good portion of them are getting draft before they reach college.

Old
08-10-2011, 11:41 PM
BLBarmada

I never implied that 1st rounders don't come the NCAA, the Seadogs would win against these NCAA teams, as would the Missisauga majors, not every CHL team is as young as the Seadogs were.

To say a that a team with 5 1st round picks would get schooled by
Minnesota-Duluth is ludicrous.

Huberdeau will be able to pull off
the same **** in the NHL, wait 5 years and Tomas Jurco will do some of the same **** that Datsyuk does.

Top NCAA team can give the the top CHL teams a run for their
money but the skill level of the CHL is far superior.

Add in that many top American prospects are headed for CHL teams.

If the level of play in the NCAA was so high then why did Jack Campell and John Gibson choose the OHL over BU ?

Adam Erne and Brendan Shea both chose CHL.

If the CHL is a lower caliber of play then why are so many top prospects playing there ?

Last edited by BLBarmada: 08-10-2011 at 11:50 PM.
Old
08-10-2011, 11:56 PM
Fel 96
JFC

Send a message via MSN to Fel 96
Wow, calm down guys.

I hate CHL vs NCAA debate so much.

Fel 96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2011, 11:59 PM
BuddyMcCormick

I personally don't care who would win, just the reasoning behind why the CHL will win is... not solid. That's like saying Aeros v. Sea Dogs. The Sea Dogs would win because they had first rounders on their team.