HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

van Riemsdyk head of the new pack of power forwards

Old
08-10-2011, 04:17 AM
Spongolium*
Potato Magician

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyfreak7 View Post
The issue here is that people are calling JVR a potential 50 goal scorer based on a post season stretch where he scored 7 goals in 12 games.

First of all, even if he is able to maintain that pace, he still wouldnt break 50 goals. Second of all, that pace is completely unattainable over the course of an 82 game season.

JVR is a potential 35 goal scorer and I have no doubts that he will be there. But cut the 50 goal crap. He'll never be that good.

35 goals is still excellent production...
Argh quotes like this really piss me off. Can you tell me the lottery numbers too while you are at it. Considering you must be able to see future events before they unfold. While I agree with you, you can't state that as fact.

Spongolium* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2011, 07:16 AM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollywood Couturier View Post
Let the overrating begin... Same thing happened with Giroux. They're good players but you'd think they are Top 10 in the league by the way some people talk about them. The majority of people were sour on JVR before he broke out in the playoffs and now everyone loves him.
Damn right. I wasn't too high on him because he never showed anything at the NHL level that would lead me to believe otherwise. Then he exploded in the playoffs. Gave people reason to believe. If Couturier has similar seasons to JVR his first two years in the NHL, I'm sure people will sour on him until he shows otherwise. Same thing happens with every single player in the NHL. Guys with high expectations who don't exactly live up to them right away get swept under the rug so to speak. If they later live up to those expectations people will of course be excited about them.

For example No one is going to get all hyped on a player like Ben Holmstrom because he hasn't done anything. If he makes the team and scores 30 goals, then of course everyone is going to be saying OMG Holmstrom is the cream of the Flyers prospect crop.

DrinkFightFlyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2011, 08:58 AM
MsWoof

One awesome game in the playoffs and people are expecting him to play that way every game. No way is he or anyone capable of playing that way every game. It was an emotionally charged game because bin Laden was killed and he was personally affected by 9/11 but let's not put a ginormous amount of pressure on him. He and Roo will be feeling it this year and god help them if they struggle with Philly fans being what they are.

MsWoof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2011, 09:40 AM
Hollywood Couturier

What am I trying to accomplish? nothing. I'm just stating that people shouldn't hype up players after a few playoff games after the majority of the fanbase wanted his head for not progressing. Now when/if he does not play to his "potential" this year people are going to want his head again. I've seen it enough times in this city with the fanbas.

"I Came Here To Bury Caesar, Not Praise Him" - Roy Halladay
Hollywood Couturier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2011, 09:48 AM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beef Runner

I'm not remotely convinced that JVR can be a beast consistently yet. Hopefully he proves that he can be very soon, this team is going to need it badly.

08-10-2011, 10:59 AM
CerpinTaxt

Quote:
The issue here is that people are calling JVR a potential 50 goal scorer based on a post season stretch where he scored 7 goals in 12 games.First of all, even if he is able to maintain that pace, he still wouldnt break 50 goals. Second of all, that pace is completely unattainable over the course of an 82 game season.

JVR is a potential 35 goal scorer and I have no doubts that he will be there. But cut the 50 goal crap. He'll never be that good.

35 goals is still excellent production...
Youre right that 7 goals in 12GP isnt nearly a 50 goal pace for a season, but the Flyers only played 11 PO games. If he stayed healthy, and kept up a 7G in 11GP for the reg. season, thats definitely 50 goals. Lots of ifs, but theres a possibility he could do it.

CerpinTaxt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2011, 11:16 AM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beef Runner

Quote:
Originally Posted by CerpinTaxt View Post
Youre right that 7 goals in 12GP isnt nearly a 50 goal pace for a season, but the Flyers only played 11 PO games. If he stayed healthy, and kept up a 7G in 11GP for the reg. season, thats definitely 50 goals. Lots of ifs, but theres a possibility he could do it.
Sure, if he's really consistent all season. He has yet to show any real consistency.

Beef Invictus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2011, 11:41 AM
MsWoof

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beef Invictus View Post
Sure, if he's really consistent all season. He has yet to show any real consistency.
That's my issue with him as well. Hopefully that will happen this year.

MsWoof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2011, 12:19 PM
tuckrr

If carter can get 46 JvR can get 50.

I said I wasn't 'expecting' him to. Im thinking more 30-35 goals...but when a guy like pronger says he can score 50-60, you know the kid must be doing something special in practice.

I think its within reason to believe if james has a perfect year (like carter did when he hit 46) he could hit 50
(60 is just absurd...but who knows?)

tuckrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2011, 12:37 PM
GoneFullHextall
Fire Berube

vCash: 0
asking for 50 goals from JVR and you might be setting yourself up for a letdown(and I might be one of the kids biggest fans here) I dont know if hes ready to get to that level. I mean how hard is it to get 40 goals. nevermind 50. We are in a division and conference with some very strong goaltending.
Personally I would hope for 30-30 from JVR.

GoneFullHextall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2011, 12:44 PM
Spongolium*
Potato Magician

I hope JVR becomes a little more than a top end Hartnell. I want JVR to be pushing 80 points consistently.

Old
08-10-2011, 12:57 PM
VanSciver

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuckrr View Post
If carter can get 46 JvR can get 50.

I said I wasn't 'expecting' him to. Im thinking more 30-35 goals...but when a guy like pronger says he can score 50-60, you know the kid must be doing something special in practice.

I think its within reason to believe if james has a perfect year (like carter did when he hit 46) he could hit 50
(60 is just absurd...but who knows?)
I think it's a long, long shot that JVR could hit 50. I don't know that he'll be a 50 goal scorer at any point in his career. There was what one 50 goal scorer last Season? And JVR doesn't have the wrist shot or raw natural scoring ability that Carter has either.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoneFullHolmgren View Post
asking for 50 goals from JVR and you might be setting yourself up for a letdown(and I might be one of the kids biggest fans here) I dont know if hes ready to get to that level. I mean how hard is it to get 40 goals. nevermind 50. We are in a division and conference with some very strong goaltending.
30-30 would be a real nice Season from JVR. I'd be happy with 25-25.

VanSciver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2011, 01:26 PM
captainpaxil

i think the possibility is there for jvr to top 40 but i also think that has alot to do with giroux's ability as a setup guy. i also think hes going to benefit immensely from having a more physical team around him which will make it difficult for other teams to get the matchups they had this past year

captainpaxil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2011, 01:28 PM
esuhock22

Quote:
Exactly. He has had games during the regular season too where he looked like a really dominant player, but consistency is lacking.

esuhock22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2011, 01:50 PM
tuckrr

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoneFullHolmgren View Post
im hoping for 35 goals...i just think its possible he could hit 50 (something i never considered until I read the pronger quote, then i thought about it and realized it could happen)

Old
08-10-2011, 02:14 PM
CerpinTaxt

Quote:
Quote:
If he stayed healthy, and kept up a 7G in 11GP for the reg. season, thats definitely 50 goals. Lots of ifs, but theres a possibility he could do it.
You basically just rewrote what I wrote.

CerpinTaxt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2011, 02:16 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beef Runner

Quote:
Originally Posted by CerpinTaxt View Post
You basically just rewrote what I wrote.
Except for the part where I pointed out that he has yet to be that consistent.

Old
08-10-2011, 05:53 PM
Ironmanrulez
Rookie Mistake

I donīt need 50 goals from him

I only want a guy who take the pressure in Philadelphia by the fans and the media and his teammates and play solid hockey in regular bases.

I donīt need a goalscorer who shoots the 3:0 and 4:0 every game and scores 50 goals a season.

If he is the one who make us a new Knuble. Or if he scores 25 Goals with Winning Goals its all i ask for.

We lost 2 of our most important pieces these offseason and all the pressure now is coming to Giroux and JVR with Pronger, Mesz, Timonen, Briere and Bryz.

So if the 2 can handle all these Pressure better than Richie and Carts we will love them and our future will be bright as hell!

So stop discussion about the 50 goals....

Do you want a Minnesota with Gaborik but no Playoffs?
Or a Atlanta with Kovalchuk but no PLayoffs?

I like more a Philadelphia without 40 or 50 Goalsscorers but with Playoff success!

Ironmanrulez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2011, 06:00 PM
Spongolium*
Potato Magician

Nice job clapping your own post. Did you just say that you wouldn't want a 50 goal scorer on the team. You do realise that You can have a 50 goal scorer and play-off success right?

Old
08-10-2011, 06:06 PM
Ironmanrulez
Rookie Mistake

In a capped world is i difficult to have both things. Because most of the high scoring players are too expensive.

But i donīt want JVR out of Philly if he scores 50 goals. But must i really say that??

I only wanted to say, that we donīt really need 50 goals from him?!

But maybe my english is too bad, so you get me wrong

And whats wrong with a handclap? It only shows positive mood in this case...

Ironmanrulez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2011, 06:55 PM
hockeyfreak7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spongolium View Post
Argh quotes like this really piss me off. Can you tell me the lottery numbers too while you are at it. Considering you must be able to see future events before they unfold. While I agree with you, you can't state that as fact.
Would you have a problem if I said JVR would never be a 100 goal scorer too?

In a perfect year, where his linemates complement him perfectly, the PP is #1 in the league, and the division gets really weak, sure, JVR might possibly brush 50 goals.

But until he even shows 35 goal potential, nobody should be talking about 50 goal potential.

hockeyfreak7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2011, 07:26 PM
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline

Quote:
Originally Posted by esuhock22 View Post
Exactly. He has had games during the regular season too where he looked like a really dominant player, but consistency is lacking.
Consistency is something that normally comes with maturity and growth.

CS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2011, 07:40 PM
tuckrr

Quote:
Would you have a problem if I said JVR would never be a 100 goal scorer too?

In a perfect year, where his linemates complement him perfectly, the PP is #1 in the league, and the division gets really weak, sure, JVR might possibly brush 50 goals.

But until he even shows 35 goal potential, nobody should be talking about 50 goal potential.
tell that to pronger

Old
08-10-2011, 07:42 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beef Runner

Pronger has been a great player, but he isn't a prophet. I'll believe JVR has what it takes to put away 50 goals when I see him do it.

Old
08-10-2011, 07:48 PM
tymed

The participation in this thread has gotten out of hand...I would expect so from the official board crybabies, but Hfboards are usually a lot better.

If I could make a few points without quoting;

-It is okay to discuss a players' upside before he has shown it, or consistency for that matter. Just about every player ever to play the game at this level lacked consistency before they didn't...imagine that.

-JVR is going to be great. Anyone who doesnt see him as as 30-35+ scorer will be made pleasantly suprised. Anyone saying he his a 40+ lock will likely be unpleasantly put back on earth.

-Last year the only player to net 50 was Corey Perry....yes, the same Corey Perry who's previous career high was 32. These two aforementioned seasons also make up the only times he has eclipsed the 30 goal mark.

After seeing his performance this past spring, I am 100% sure that great things are to come from #21. He stepped onto that next plateau hard and long enough to realize how he was doing it and what it takes of him to do.

A player's statistics will always be directly correlated to the players around him and well....Giroux just happens to already be one of the best playmakers in the game and there is no denying that.

Someone with as little amount of question marks as JVR has left will have no problems at all finding the back of the net for 30+ a year. With 50 being no more out of the question than it would have been for Perry only a year ago.

He has the set to be one of the league's best wingers. But will he put it all together? I think so. Clearly there are plenty who don't-which is fine.

He will take a big step in consistency this year. I beleive that his pedigree will have in line for a large raise here in his contract year- but his powerplay opportunities will be held to 2nd duty to hopefully save us some cash on his contract.

Go Flyers.

Last edited by tymed: 08-10-2011 at 07:55 PM. Reason: typo
tymed is offline   Reply With Quote