HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Ottawa Senators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Prospects who can hit like a freight train

Old
08-10-2011, 12:14 AM
Savannah Skunk

vCash: 500
Prospects who can hit like a freight train

There has been quite a bit of hype surrounding the leafs in their defensive core and their ability to punish their opponents. The leading candidate is of course Shenn.

Who amongst our prospects has the capacity to instill fear into the opponents as Scott Stevens once did? I hear Gryba lays out monster hits. Is this true? Who else has that potential? If we have to endure a few years of growing pains, it would be very nice to see the Sens doll out bone-crushing high-flying entertaining hits and earn a reputation for being clean, mean and one nasty machine.

Savannah Skunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2011, 01:40 AM
Gus Fring

I'm sure Cowen can handle his own and while not being prospects Neil, Smith, Carkner and konopka will have a say when it comes to physicality on the ice.

Gus Fring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2011, 01:50 AM
itscameron

itscameron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2011, 06:32 AM
SensAreReligion
GT- CxC Senator

Claesson

SensAreReligion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2011, 07:57 AM
hawthy

Not too make it too much of a Sens/Leafs thing, but I'm not sure there are any prospects at this point who will have that effect with the Sens, but rather established tough guys like Neil and Konopka. Seems like while the Leafs are trying to build that "truculent" team Burke loves, Murray is going more the finesse route. While the Leafs are drafting/signing Schenn, Armstrong, Phaneuf, Komisarek, Biggs, Percy etc, the Sens are building with guys like Karlsson, Zibanejad, Rundblad, Filatov, etc.

I may be wrong, because the Leafs do have finesse guys like Kessel and Kadri, and the Sens have some gritty/rugged players coming up too (Cowen, Claesson as was the examples), but it seems that while Burke is trying to build the 2007 Ducks in Toronto, Murray is trying to build the, well, Wings of the last 15 years in Ottawa. I think both teams are going to become competitve almost in sync, so it should mean some pretty good games for a long stretch in the coming years (a few years from now).

Wow, that was a tangent. Ha. In answer to the thread though, it'll be the Neils, Konopkas and Carkners providing that type of entertainment, barring any other signings. Phillips and Cowen are rugged, but as an above posted wrote about Cowen, it's more in a "hold-your-own" type of way. The back end has no freight train hitters, at least not on a regular basis.

hawthy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2011, 08:02 AM
xking23
Petersson

In the future there is also Blood who can and will intimidate everyone he is on the ice against. (I mean his name is BLOOD!)

xking23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2011, 08:19 AM
Coco the Monkey*
T-Bone!

Markus Sorensen

Coco the Monkey* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2011, 08:28 AM
Manny*

Kramer, Blood, Borowiecki, Gryba.

Manny* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2011, 08:31 AM
Shanny
Let's Win It All

anyone who saw Corey Cowick playing as a 67 knows he's an absolute beast.

Shanny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2011, 08:34 AM
jbeck5

Some of us seem to be confusing big hits with toughness.

For example, carkner is the toughest guy on our team...but he's too slow to catch anyone with a big crunching open ice hit. Konopka is slow as well and will get most of his hits along the boards.

Neil is the only one on our team right now that is a bonafide open ice hitter. As for our prospects, haven't seen enough of them to know who can actually perform open ice hits often (and not just once in a blue moon).

jbeck5 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2011, 08:36 AM
wubwubwubwub
What, Me Worry?

Three guys who will be NHLers who can hit are Cowen, Zyba and Gryba. BoroCop is a nice hitter too, and our management seems pretty confident he has an NHL future, too. Blood is more of a wild card but he also has a reasonable shot at being a bottom pairing D who can hit like heck. Claesson I haven't even seen a highlight of but he is supposedly a very nasty DMan too. I'd like to acquire one more physical prospect but we have a pretty decent stable of physicality. More importantly, our physical guys are well above average skill-wise compared to other physical prospects.

wubwubwubwub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2011, 10:31 AM
KarlSen

I bet Greening will lay a few good ones one. He is gritty, big, and has the footspeed to be in a good position for checks.

KarlSen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2011, 10:35 AM
Senacus Maximus
AlfSilferssonScores

Rundblad

There's some pretty big hits in there.

Senacus Maximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2011, 10:41 AM
Rhino Reilly
Gettn Wiggy wit it

Send a message via Skype™ to Rhino Reilly
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shanny View Post
anyone who saw Corey Cowick playing as a 67 knows he's an absolute beast.
He'll be lucky to carve out an AHL career though unless things change drastically imo

Rhino Reilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2011, 10:42 AM
JonnyMacSen
Divide and Conacher

What about prospects that will rock you like a hurricane!

JonnyMacSen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2011, 11:01 AM
Berserker*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manny View Post
Kramer, Blood, Borowiecki, Gryba.
You could also add Sdao, Hamilton and possibly Costello and Dizzy to that list as well.

Berserker* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2011, 12:01 PM
Savannah Skunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by SenacusMaximus View Post
Rundblad

There's some pretty big hits in there.
That was a really fun montage of Rundblad to watch. Yes, there were some really nice open ice hits there too!

Savannah Skunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2011, 12:14 PM
OmniSens
@OmniSenators

vCash: 145
Send a message via Skype™ to OmniSens
Gryba = a cheap mans Volchenkov

OmniSens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2011, 12:38 PM
PoutineSp00nZ
Beat that $%^& Bryan

Remember when Volchenkov put that guy in the hospital during a preseason game back when he was a rookie>?

PoutineSp00nZ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2011, 12:54 PM
Manny*

I don't think Claesson is much of a hitter. I think he's just nasty on the boards and in the crease. The kind of guy you don't want to battle with.

From what I've heard.

Manny* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2011, 02:44 PM
Berserker*

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawthy View Post
Not too make it too much of a Sens/Leafs thing, but I'm not sure there are any prospects at this point who will have that effect with the Sens, but rather established tough guys like Neil and Konopka. Seems like while the Leafs are trying to build that "truculent" team Burke loves,Murray is going more the finesse route. While the Leafs are drafting/signing Schenn, Armstrong, Phaneuf, Komisarek, Biggs, Percy etc, the Sens are building with guys like Karlsson, Zibanejad, Rundblad, Filatov, etc.

I may be wrong, because the Leafs do have finesse guys like Kessel and Kadri, and the Sens have some gritty/rugged players coming up too (Cowen, Claesson as was the examples), but it seems that while Burke is trying to build the 2007 Ducks in Toronto, Murray is trying to build the, well, Wings of the last 15 years in Ottawa. I think both teams are going to become competitve almost in sync, so it should mean some pretty good games for a long stretch in the coming years (a few years from now).

Wow, that was a tangent. Ha. In answer to the thread though, it'll be the Neils, Konopkas and Carkners providing that type of entertainment, barring any other signings. Phillips and Cowen are rugged, but as an above posted wrote about Cowen, it's more in a "hold-your-own" type of way. The back end has no freight train hitters, at least not on a regular basis.
This is a misconception that a lot of sens fans fall under. Murray is attempting to build a very well rounded competitive team that is both hard to play against in terms of physicality as well as being offensively potent. If Murray was really trying to build a finesse team then he wouldn't have drafted Zack Smith, Cowen, Borocop, Costello, Kramer, Sdao, Blood or sign free agents Hamilton or Dizzy.

Old
08-10-2011, 03:58 PM
Afro Thunder*

Filatov.

No seriously Zbad does the job, Cowen seems to be developing a nasty game the past year or so, Rundblad has a very underrated physical game as well.

We should be fine. We still have Silverberg, Stone, Sorenson and of course Yakupov.

Afro Thunder* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2011, 05:03 PM
PlayItAgain

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by poutineplato View Post
Remember when Volchenkov put that guy in the hospital during a preseason game back when he was a rookie>?
That was during the prospect tournament. Forget who he hit, but it was a prospect from Florida. Wowsers what a hit that was.

PlayItAgain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2011, 06:14 PM
Berserker*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Afro Thunder View Post
Filatov.

No seriously Zbad does the job, Cowen seems to be developing a nasty game the past year or so, Rundblad has a very underrated physical game as well.

We should be fine. We still haveSilverberg, Stone, Sorenson and of course Yakupov .
None of those are overly physical players, I am not sure why you listed them. Sure they might be gritty but they aren't really known for being big hitters. I guess you could make a case for Stone but even he would have to be a lot more consistent in terms of physical play to be in the mold that TS was suggesting.

Old
08-10-2011, 07:06 PM
Sens Mile

Quote:
Originally Posted by OmniSens View Post
Gryba = a cheap mans Volchenkov
I would prefer a poor man's Volecenkov to Volchenkov. We can afford the former, and as a 5-6 defenceman he works perfectly. Surprisingly he was out return for the departure of Peter Charelli in compensation

Sens Mile is offline   Reply With Quote