HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Rangers sign Brendan Bell

Old
08-10-2011, 06:21 AM
chosen

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan. View Post
Oh, yeah. That was bad. But no one is as bad as either Montreal or Toronto fans when it comes to obsessing over mediocre prospects.
Rangers fans do the same thing. The only difference is that hockey is more important in Canada so it gets more chatter.

There are plenty of posters here that are always explaining to the rest of us just how great the next one will be. If we are to believe them, Kreider, Hagelin and Thomas need not play a single game before being enshrined in the Hall of Fame.

Tons of fans in all sports scream about the next great prospect. The same idiocy that makes football fans love backup quarterbacks.

chosen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2011, 08:02 AM
GAGLine

Quote:
Originally Posted by chosen View Post
Grachev
The Grachev hype wasn't entirely undeserved. He had a great year in the OHL and he was high on THN's future watch 2 years in a row. He was still ranked 22nd overall after his rookie AHL season. So there were plenty of NHL scouts who contributed to the hype. All the physical tools are obviously there.

And we still don't know how he'll turn out. Let's not act like because we traded him, the book is already closed on him becoming an NHL player. If he hadn't requested a trade, I doubt we would have traded him.

Maybe he never lives up to the hype, but the only real moral of the story is that until the prospect does it in the NHL, you never really know if he can do it. But that doesn't mean we shouldn't be excited about them.

GAGLine is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2011, 09:41 AM
RangerFan10

Send a message via AIM to RangerFan10
he is our powerplay shooter http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1e-rc...eature=related

RangerFan10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2011, 09:43 AM
RangerFan10

Send a message via AIM to RangerFan10
He did have 21 points in 53 games as afformentioned. I mean, I still doubt he makes the team, but if he had a good camp and the young guys don't it won't shock me to see us start with Staal, Girardi, McDonagh, Sauer, Valentenko, Eminger, Bell as our 7 dmen

RangerFan10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2011, 11:51 AM
chosen

Quote:
Originally Posted by GAGLine View Post
The Grachev hype wasn't entirely undeserved. He had a great year in the OHL and he was high on THN's future watch 2 years in a row. He was still ranked 22nd overall after his rookie AHL season. So there were plenty of NHL scouts who contributed to the hype. All the physical tools are obviously there.

And we still don't know how he'll turn out. Let's not act like because we traded him, the book is already closed on him becoming an NHL player. If he hadn't requested a trade, I doubt we would have traded him.

Maybe he never lives up to the hype, but the only real moral of the story is that until the prospect does it in the NHL, you never really know if he can do it. But that doesn't mean we shouldn't be excited about them.
The Grachev hype will be deserved or undeserved based solely on the outcome, not on what anyone said he would be.

So far, it is undeserved.

chosen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2011, 01:46 PM
vipernsx
Flatus Expeller

vCash: 566
Quote:
Originally Posted by -31- View Post
Justin Pogge
James Reimer

vipernsx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2011, 04:40 PM
TrollololBoyle

good signing for the AHL team, I don't expect him to even play 1 NHL game, and neither should anyone else... in fact, I doubt he remains in the organization at any level for the whole year.

TrollololBoyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2011, 06:28 PM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by DatsyukSOGoal View Post
good signing for the AHL team, I don't expect him to even play 1 NHL game, and neither should anyone else... in fact, I doubt he remains in the organization at any level for the whole year.
What do you think we'll do with him?

It's just pain.
nyr2k2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2011, 07:11 PM
Bleed Ranger Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by DatsyukSOGoal View Post
I think he'll challenge for a spot.

I also think way too many people are sure that 4 rather dubious names will take care of the current 3rd pairing situation.

They might and probably will - but a slam dunk?

Bleed Ranger Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2011, 09:03 PM
Barnaby

Quote:
Originally Posted by GAGLine View Post
The Grachev hype wasn't entirely undeserved. He had a great year in the OHL
He was also built like a man - among boys... Oh yea, played next to some guy named Matt Duchene.

Barnaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2011, 09:31 PM
Brooklyn Ranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleed Ranger Blue View Post
I think he'll challenge for a spot.

I also think way too many people are sure that 4 rather dubious names will take care of the current 3rd pairing situation.

They might and probably will - but a slam dunk?
Exactly. There are only four defensemen (including Redden) in the organization with more NHL experience than Bell and only two of them are guaranteed a spot on the ice come opening night. Plus, Bell is going to come into training camp with the intention of not only showing Tortorella that he can win a job, but also the rest of the NHL who passed him over. That's not to say he won't end up in the AHL, but it's not set in stone.

Brooklyn Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2011, 09:32 PM
JeffMangum
Ra shi da

vCash: 300
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barnaby View Post
He was also built like a man - among boys... Oh yea, played next to some guy named Matt Duchene.
I believe he also played a lot with Cody Hodgson.

#TannerGlass2014
SEEN YOUR VIDEO!
#SheWentToHarvard
JeffMangum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2011, 11:22 AM
ohbaby

Not sure what to make of this signing. Seems like he might have a point blast. But isn't Richards playing the point with his bomb?

ohbaby is offline   Reply With Quote