HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Softest team this year?

Closed Thread

Old
08-10-2011, 09:17 PM
StellerEller
Canada's Team

vCash: 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dojji View Post
I calls it as I sees it. And what I saw in that first round series between my team and the Canadiens is exactly the kind of hockey I described. You don't need to be a Bruins homer to pick up on it (I'm a Bruins fan, but far from a homer).

And I give credit where it's due. Until the refs actually call diving penalties, it's a valid and viable hockey strategy that will result in wins, and will make a team difficult to play against. To play a diving team, you have to play with your emotions reined in to avoid giving them extra power plays, and that pulls the teeth of the big physical teams fans prefer. It takes them out of their comfort zone, and that's an advantage for the diving team.

I'll give full marks to the Canadiens for playing the system well, if they'll do me and the rest of us the courtesy of not insulting our intelligence or trying to tell us that what we all see plain as day, is not happening.
I'll let you think what you want, but you're not making yourself look good when you post such exaggerated, arrogant stuff like this.

Old
08-10-2011, 09:17 PM
TheRollingPuck
Free fallin'

vCash: 500

Gonna go with Ottawa. They have some imposing players, but not enough to make up for the rest of their roster.

Old
08-10-2011, 09:19 PM
Dojji*
Fight the Hate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roy33Clutch View Post
I'll let you think what you want, but you're not making yourself look good when you post such exaggerated, arrogant stuff like this.
I notice you're not denyin'. You accuse me of exaggeration and arrogance, but not per se of inaccuracy.

I suppose given the side of the fence you're on, I ought to consider that acceptable.

Old
08-10-2011, 09:19 PM
Master_Of_Districts

Quote:
Montreal. They don't care about being dominated physically, they just start diving and turn it around on the physical team. They revel in softness. They prosper by softness. It's the softness of a willow tree. It's the softness of a silk bulletproof vest. Softness is one of their strengths. Going down like they're shot by a .50 cal gets them their beloved power plays, and allows them to just play a tight trap in 5 on 5 and wait for a team to get frustrated enough to give them more power plays. That's why a team that is so small can be so deadly at times.

It's a comprehensive strategy with them, and one that's built around other teams' ability to manhandle them physically, and turning that into a weapon for their own purposes. It's slick, professional, intelligent, and soft as melted ice cream.
Thanks for providing us with a fair and objective position.

A question:

What did Montreal's powerplay differential (powerplays drawn versus powerplays conceded) look like last year?

Old
08-10-2011, 09:20 PM
Master_Of_Districts

Quote:
I notice you're not denyin'. You accuse me of exaggeration and arrogance, but not per se of inaccuracy.

I suppose given the side of the fence you're on, I ought to consider that acceptable.
Exaggeration implies inaccuracy.

Old
08-10-2011, 09:21 PM
tombombadil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biggest Canuck Fan View Post
Vancouver. Every team knows how to beat them and they will be bullied all the time. I would be surprised if they win a game this year.
Westbank represent!!

Old
08-10-2011, 09:22 PM
Dojji*
Fight the Hate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Master_Of_Districts View Post
Thanks for providing us with a fair and objective position.

A question:

What did Montreal's powerplay differential (powerplays drawn versus powerplays conceded) look like last year?
What do you mean by "conceded?" Do you mean "converted?" Because that was the word I was expecting to see there, and I want to make sure that's what you meant.

Old
08-10-2011, 09:22 PM
chopkins
Super Bowl Champs

Quote:
Originally Posted by stagedfightsrule View Post
What?!

They got Dan Carcillo, Sean O'Donnell, Jamal Mayers, and Steve Montador during the off-season. Throw in the super heavy weight John Scott, and I'd say they're one of the toughest teams in the league.

They also have guys like Seabrook and Bickell who love to throw their weight around.

As for the softest team, it's either Detroit (I know, shocker) or Vancouver. Both of practically no grit at all in their line-up.
For Vancouver:

Sedins, Kesler, Burrows, Malhotra, Hansen, Oreskovich, Bitz, Hamhuis, Bieksa, Edler, Alberts, Rome

The Canucks have their divers, but they also have their physical players. The Sedins and Burrows dive, but cycling requires you to take a lot of punishment along the boards. They won't hit people, but they won't shy away from hits. That's not soft to me.

Old
08-10-2011, 09:23 PM
StellerEller
Canada's Team

Quote:

I think it went without saying that I disagreed with you.

Old
08-10-2011, 09:23 PM
Dojji*
Fight the Hate

Quote:
Exaggeration implies inaccuracy.
Not really. It implies a generally accurate statement that some bit of it was taken too far. If he'd used a word like "hyperbole" then maybe.

Old
08-10-2011, 09:24 PM
Master_Of_Districts

Quote:
What do you mean by "conceded?" Do you mean "converted?" Because that was the word I was expecting to see there, and I want to make sure that's what you meant.
That's not what I meant.

To clarify:

How many powerplay opportunities did Montreal have last season?

How many did their opponents have?

Old
08-10-2011, 09:24 PM
KnightofBoston
MVP

Vancouver is softer than Montreal

so Vancouver

Old
08-10-2011, 09:25 PM
Dojji*
Fight the Hate

Quote:
I think it went without saying that I disagreed with you.
Sure. But you sure don't say that the Habs don't incorporate diving into their battle strategy in a systematic manner. You just stated you feel I've exaggerated the extent to which they do dive as a strategy, which is a lefthanded concession that they in fact do.

While they do that, and clearly they do that, you're going to be a candidate for mention in threads like this.

Old
08-10-2011, 09:26 PM
TCL40

Montreal or maybe Tampa.

Old
08-10-2011, 09:28 PM
StellerEller
Canada's Team

Quote:
Sure. But you sure don't say that the Habs don't incorporate diving into their battle strategy in a systematic manner. While they do that, and clearly they do that, you're going to be a candidate for mention in threads like this.
Habs don't dive anymore than the next team (exception: lapierre). I get that you're on your high horse about the Bruins winning and thats all well and good, enjoy your delusion.

Old
08-10-2011, 09:29 PM
TheHabMan43
You'd Better RUN!

Quote:
That's not what I meant.

To clarify:

Montreal had 290 PP opputunities and were shorthanded 327 times.

Old
08-10-2011, 09:30 PM
Dojji*
Fight the Hate

Quote:
That's not what I meant.

To clarify:

Ahh. Well I don't consider that an apples to apples comparison. More aggressive teams will both draw and incur more penalties, more passive/defensive teams will draw less.

The Bruins use that same argument to proclaim that they are accused of being bullies, that they do not draw that many penalties for their physical behavior on the ice. That doesn't mean they aren't physical. It just means they play a passive defensive system, as do the Habs.

Old
08-10-2011, 09:30 PM
Bob Cole

Quote:
Sure. But you sure don't say that the Habs don't incorporate diving into their battle strategy in a systematic manner. You just stated you feel I've exaggerated the extent to which they do dive as a strategy, which is a lefthanded concession that they in fact do.

While they do that, and clearly they do that, you're going to be a candidate for mention in threads like this.
do you have any proof to back up anything your saying?

Contrary to what jack edwards says, its possible for habs players to fall down without diving. I specifically remember Eller falling in Game 6 and Bruins fans were whining (whats new) that he dove. Turned out he seperated his shoulder on the play.

The only diver on the roster this year was Pk and I suspect he will cut it out in his 2nd year.

Old
08-10-2011, 09:31 PM
KnightofBoston
MVP

The Habs have way more heart than Vancouver, there's more that goes into being soft than diving.

Old
08-10-2011, 09:33 PM
Dojji*
Fight the Hate

Quote:
Habs don't dive anymore than the next team (exception: lapierre). I get that you're on your high horse about the Bruins winning and thats all well and good, enjoy your delusion.
Subban, Halpern, Wisniewski and Hamrlik all caught on tape trying to dive or embellish at key points in game 7 alone. Halpern in particular deserved a Golden Globe.

I don't blame you for downplaying that. But I am gonna call you on it.

Old
SephF
Thanks Smytty

The Oilers are painfully soft up front, especially if RNH makes the team.

Hall-Gagner-Hemsky
Smyth-RNH-Eberle
Paajarvi-Horcoff-Omark
Eager-Belanger-Jones

One physical player, Hall and Hemsky are reckless but they aren't going to plaster anyone

Old
keslehr*

Quote:
Originally Posted by KnightofBoston View Post
The Habs have way more heart than Vancouver, there's more that goes into being soft than diving.
By all means, please, bring up the Canucks even though no one else is talking about them.

What the hell is wrong with you? Boston won.

Old
08-10-2011, 09:35 PM
KnightofBoston
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by keslehr View Post
By all means, please, bring up the Canucks even though no one else is talking about them.

What the hell is wrong with you? Boston won.
I'm not allowed to voice my opinion on a message board? The TC asked a question, I answered.

Jeez I guess Ill just take my ball and go home too

Old
08-10-2011, 09:36 PM
Impossible Glory

Quote:

By diving, do you mean something like this?

Seriously, Habs are not a tough team, but it is better than it was in the past years. Obviously, we're not in the top 15 of "though teams" maybe not even in the top 20, but Cole, Paches, AK, Eller are all top 9 forwards that can hit. Also, White and Blunden (if he makes the team...) can both hit and fight (seems a little harder for Blunden tho ). On defense, Subban, Gorges and Gill are not scared by physical play even if they don't hit a lot. Also, we have a wild card this year in Emelin who's very tough and mean if he makes the team.

Old
08-10-2011, 09:36 PM
keslehr*

Quote:
Originally Posted by KnightofBoston View Post
I'm not allowed to voice my opinion on a message board? The TC asked a question, I answered.

Jeez I guess Ill just take my ball and go home too
Because all I've noticed from you and several other Boston fans is gloating, dragging the Canucks through the mud and slagging them even if the thread has nothing to do with them. Win graciously.

Closed Thread