HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Softest team this year?

Closed Thread

Old
08-10-2011, 10:36 PM
Master_Of_Districts

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dojji View Post
Ahh. Well I don't consider that an apples to apples comparison. More aggressive teams will both draw and incur more penalties, more passive/defensive teams will draw less.

The Bruins use that same argument to proclaim that they are accused of being bullies, that they do not draw that many penalties for their physical behavior on the ice. That doesn't mean they aren't physical. It just means they play a passive defensive system, as do the Habs.
The post above yours indicates that the Canadiens had 37 fewer powerplay opportunities than their opponents last year. Without checking, I'm confident that this was one of the worst differentials in the league.

Your assertion was that the Canadiens employ a passive game plan centered around diving and drawing more powerplays than the opposition.

The evidence discussed above calls the validity of that assertion into question.

Old
08-10-2011, 10:37 PM
Dojji*
Fight the Hate

Quote:
Originally Posted by KnightofBoston View Post
The Habs have way more heart than Vancouver, there's more that goes into being soft than diving.
Sure, like I said, their job is to frustrate you into taking a penalty, and then embellish to make sure they get it.

But it is soft, it's soft in a smart way. It's a sign that you don't think you can stand up toe to toe with the other team and would rather play the situation to your advantage another way.

As I said before, I'll give the Habs full credit for being cold-blooded, and good opponents exactly because if their diving strategy. I just wish they wouldn't insult my intelligence by trying to pretend that it wasn't happening.

Old
08-10-2011, 10:39 PM
Master_Of_Districts

Quote:
Subban, Halpern, Wisniewski and Hamrlik all caught on tape trying to dive or embellish at key points in game 7 alone. Halpern in particular deserved a Golden Globe.

I don't blame you for downplaying that. But I am gonna call you on it.
That's your perception of what happened.

It's not fact.

Old
08-10-2011, 10:40 PM
Dojji*
Fight the Hate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Master_Of_Districts View Post
The post above yours indicates that the Canadiens had 37 fewer powerplay opportunities than their opponents last year. Without checking, I'm confident that this was one of the worst differentials in the league.

Your assertion was that the Canadiens employ a passive game plan centered around diving and drawing more powerplays than the opposition.

The evidence discussed above calls the validity of that assertion into question.
All I know is what I've seen with my own two peepers. It's entirely possible that that isn't how you play the entire league, but it's damn sure how you play the Bruins.

You feel free to take refuge in the numbers if that's what makes you feel good. It doesn't change what your team is in the slightest. You haven't had the stones or the personnel to stand toe to toe with the Bruins in any meaningful sense since Komisarek got messed up by Lucic. Nor has your GM attempted in any meaningful way to fix either problem. That's the truth.

Old
08-10-2011, 10:41 PM
KnightofBoston
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by keslehr View Post
Because all I've noticed from you and several other Boston fans is gloating, dragging the Canucks through the mud and slagging them even if the thread has nothing to do with them. Win graciously.
Life is SO hard

Here's a tip, if it pains you so much to see people voice their opinions, stay off the web - it's a sespit full of them

o and, the thread absolutely has something to do with them, the OP asked who the softest team was, and my first thought was the Canucks, Im sorry my sole opinion disrupts your life so much.

Quote:
Sure, like I said, their job is to frustrate you into taking a penalty, and then embellish to make sure they get it.

But it is soft, it's soft in a smart way. It's a sign that you don't think you can stand up toe to toe with the other team and would rather play the situation to your advantage another way.

As I said before, I'll give the Habs full credit for being cold-blooded, and good opponents exactly because if their diving strategy. I just wish they wouldn't insult my intelligence by trying to pretend that it wasn't happening.
Don't worry Doj, I know you're intelligent, you craft your posts like a fine Grecian sculpture. It's quite nice

Old
08-10-2011, 10:41 PM
Lebanese Leaf

2 years ago, the Leafs would have been all over this thread.
Thank you Burke

Old
08-10-2011, 10:42 PM
Mowerman

Quote:
Because all I've noticed from you and several other Boston fans is gloating, dragging the Canucks through the mud and slagging them even if the thread has nothing to do with them. Win graciously.
It's called an opinion.

Vancouver. There, I said it. Try not to cry.

Old
08-10-2011, 10:42 PM
zombi
I D D Q D

Not sure how Detroit is considered soft now...

Kronwall, Cleary, Bertuzzi, Stuart, White, Commadore, Ericsson, Abdelkader, Helm, Franzen....

Old
08-10-2011, 10:43 PM
StellerEller
DeadliestSekac

vCash: 351
Quote:
Subban, Halpern, Wisniewski and Hamrlik all caught on tape trying to dive or embellish at key points in game 7 alone. Halpern in particular deserved a Golden Globe.

I don't blame you for downplaying that. But I am gonna call you on it.
Halpern, Wiz, and Hamrlik are all gone now. I thought this was a thread about this coming year. Also, the habs have improved grit wise for next season, so your arguments pretty weak.

How is that a dive when campbell throws him to the ground? PK falls awkwardly (by that i mean stiff, straight up) but if you look at the replay closely, you can see a grown man pull down another onto the ice. Is that SO hard to believe?

Bruins have divers too, btw...

(Im sure there is a reason why its okay for Marchand to act like that on the ice, right?)

Old
08-10-2011, 10:43 PM
keslehr*

Quote:
Originally Posted by KnightofBoston View Post
Life is SO hard

Here's a tip, if it pains you so much to see people voice their opinions, stay off the web - it's a sespit full of them

o and, the thread absolutely has something to do with them, the OP asked who the softest team was, and my first thought was the Canucks, Im sorry my sole opinion disrupts your life so much.

Don't worry Doj, I know you're intelligent, you craft your posts like a fine Grecian sculpture. It's quite nice
Disrupts my life so much? it took me 15 seconds to reply to your post, while I'm already on the computer already.

Anyway. My point went so far over your head that I'm not gonna bother.

FYI, *cesspit. And the correct word is actually "cesspool".

Old
08-10-2011, 10:44 PM
Sharp Skates

vCash: 1240
Quote:

I think everyone should look at this poster and take notes as he is without a doubt the guru of back-handed compliments. It is honestly bewildering. And to top it all off, his team just won the Stanley cup. Incredible, ladies and gents, incredible.

Old
08-10-2011, 10:45 PM
Signature
Capitano Giordano

vCash: 132
Would Edmonton be considered soft? I'm not trying to pick on a division rival here, but it was a team that came to mind. Also the Islanders?

Old
08-10-2011, 10:45 PM
keslehr*

Quote:
Originally Posted by WendelBrown View Post
It's called an opinion.

Vancouver. There, I said it. Try not to cry.
Lol, don't worry I won't. I have recent memories of my teams making the playoffs, having success in adding quality free agents, winning awards, etc

Old
08-10-2011, 10:46 PM
Dojji*
Fight the Hate

Quote:
That's your perception of what happened.

It's not fact.
What's not fact?

That Subban grabbed Campbell's stick under his right armpit, looked around for a striped shirt, and deliberately hit the deck in the third period with his team down a goal?

That Wisniewski flinched his head back and felt his nose when Bergeron's stick didn't even come within 4 inches of his head with minutes to go in the third?

That Hamrlik's biggest faults on the Kelly goal to make it 3-2 were first failing to get a call on a borderline high-stick, and then not getting back up fast enough to get back into the play?

That Halpern deliberately ran facefirst into Ference and then fell to the ice like Andrew was made of depleted uranium?

Which one of these is not fact?

Old
08-10-2011, 10:48 PM
Master_Of_Districts

Quote:
All I know is what I've seen with my own two peepers. It's entirely possible that that isn't how you play the entire league, but it's damn sure how you play the Bruins.
If that's the case, you should have added that qualifier in your original post.

Otherwise, it appears as though you're just making **** up.

Quote:
You feel free to take refuge in the facts if that's what makes you feel good. It doesn't change what your team is in the slightest. You haven't had the stones or the personnel to stand toe to toe with the Bruins in any meaningful sense since Komisarek got messed up by Lucic. Nor has your GM attempted in any meaningful way to fix either problem. That's the truth.
Fixed.

Old
KnightofBoston
MVP

Quote:
Disrupts my life so much? it took me 15 seconds to reply to your post, while I'm already on the computer already.

are you adding up all the time it's taken you to read my replys, and then respond to those

Fyi, you brought up the cup/playoffs ie "winning graciously", I'm solely thinking about the Canucks going into next season, they are the softest until they prove otherwise. I wasnt sitting here complaining about their antics in the playoffs and ignoring the fact my team won the cup.

and thanks on that clarification, I actually always wondered about that

Old
Mowerman

Quote:

Lose graciously. It's a two way street.

Vancouver is a team full of many soft players who dive more than the United States' credit rating, but at the same time have a few players who desperately try to put on the illusion of being tough even though in reality they are nothing more than talk and picking their battles to an extreme degree only dropping the mittens with players who are outmatched.

You have a soft team. Try to deal with that without becoming insufferably ********.

By the way, when you have to resort to picking out grammar in a post that is a good indicator that you aren't doing too well.

Old
08-10-2011, 10:49 PM
Dwight
The French Tickler

Quote:
What's not fact?

That Subban grabbed Campbell's stick under his right armpit, looked around for a striped shirt, and deliberately hit the deck in the third period with his team down a goal?

That Wisniewski flinched his head back and felt his nose when Bergeron's stick didn't even come within 4 inches of his head with minutes to go in the third?

That Hamrlik's biggest faults on the Kelly goal to make it 3-2 were first failing to get a call on a borderline high-stick, and then not getting back up fast enough to get back into the play?

That Halpern deliberately ran facefirst into Ference and then fell to the ice like Andrew was made of depleted uranium?

Somebody's been drinking the kool-aid.

Old
08-10-2011, 10:49 PM
bigjohnson

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoarDefense View Post
Gonna go with Ottawa. They have some imposing players, but not enough to make up for the rest of their roster.
Carkner, Konopka, Lessard, Neil, and Smith.

Possibly top-5 toughest team if Lessard is around.

Old
08-10-2011, 10:50 PM
Moore Money

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hot Conroy View Post
Would Edmonton be considered soft? I'm not trying to pick on a division rival here, but it was a team that came to mind. Also the Islanders?
Yes, the Oilers are up there but they are extremely young so it should be expected.

I would have to go with Dallas.

Old
08-10-2011, 10:50 PM
Master_Of_Districts

Quote:
What's not fact?

Reasonable persons can and will disagree with the truth value of at least some of those statements.

Old
08-10-2011, 10:51 PM
Dojji*
Fight the Hate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dwight View Post
Somebody's been drinking the kool-aid.
Yep. That's why you obviously don't like what I'm saying, but would still rather snark me than actually try and refute anything I've said.

Old
08-10-2011, 10:51 PM
KnightofBoston
MVP

Quote:
Yep. That's why you obviously don't like what I'm saying, but would still rather snark me than actually try and refute anything I've said.
same old same old eh George?

Old
08-10-2011, 10:52 PM
Emerica
Thank You Alfie

Well looks like all 30 teams will be tough this year.

Old
08-10-2011, 10:52 PM
Dojji*
Fight the Hate

Quote:
Reasonable persons can and will disagree with the truth value of at least some of those statements.

C'mon dude. Let's define "is" and get down to cases. You can accuse me of fancy language all you want, are you gonna call me a liar or aren't you?

Closed Thread