HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Hockey Talk by Country > Finland

Finnish Top Prospects ( In Future)

Closed Thread

Old
08-09-2011, 09:32 AM
sinettiseura

vCash: 500
Yep I meant this years WJC. The defence isn't impressive in this years WJC... But in 95 there is also few promising d-men for example Jimi Kuronen..

Old
08-09-2011, 02:19 PM
Tormentor

Quote:
Originally Posted by bebl View Post
Im pretty sure he meant next WJC team.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sinettiseura View Post
Yep I meant this years WJC. The defence isn't impressive in this years WJC...
I'm feeling even stupider than usual. Now that I read the paragraph for a 2nd time I somehow managed to understand it correctly.

Old
08-10-2011, 02:32 AM
YARR123

Did anyone notice how Jimi Kuronen looked out there? There's been no talk about the guy but he's obviously good if he's playing as an underager

Old
08-10-2011, 08:05 AM
RKC

I'd like to know more about these lesser known 2013 eligible players like Joose Antonen, Aleksi Mustonen and Saku Salminen. Are they good skaters and what kind of players they are. Obviously the draft is almost 2 years away but are they good enough to be drafted?

Old
08-10-2011, 09:48 AM
sinettiseura

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tormentor View Post
I'm feeling even stupider than usual. Now that I read the paragraph for a 2nd time I somehow managed to understand it correctly.
Hah, these misreadings or misapprehensions happens sometimes.. Btw how high are you on Barkov? I saw him playing few times last season and I must say that it looks like he has developed a lot since then and he was considered as a 1st-2nd round prospect even last season.

Of course these few pre season Ivan Hlinka games don't tell the whole truth because all the guys aren't in same shape after the offseason and player's performing in tournaments is always a bit different thing that in season games. Few succeeding in these kind of tournaments and player can be on fire. (i.e. Toni Rajala, Jarkko Immonen etc.)

Old
08-10-2011, 03:58 PM
Tormentor

Quote:
Originally Posted by YARR123 View Post
Did anyone notice how Jimi Kuronen looked out there? There's been no talk about the guy but he's obviously good if he's playing as an underager
In Jr.B playoffs Jimi Kuronen faltered a bit under pressure, higher level of intensity and strong forechecking by the opponent was too much for him at the time. He didn’t have the wheels to get out of trouble when in possession of the puck and his physical game wasn’t at a required level for puck battles, especially along the boards. If I remember correctly he was benched in one of the games. His teammate from last season Alex Lintuniemi who’s also a 95’ looked better, although his game wasn’t error free either.

Kuronen’s decision making with the puck is pretty good when he has enough time and space. His opening passes are usually good and he’s a decent blueliner on the power play. Yesterday Slovakia scored both of their goals when Kuronen was on the ice and in addition he was outstripped few times by fast advancing opponents. In defensive situations his anticipation could be better, but he’s still inexperienced at this level, so things might improve in the future. Overall he could be more active on the ice both defensively and offensively, at least when playing against older players that is.

He’s a smallish defenseman without elite wheels or elite puck skills and he doesn’t have a very physical approach to the game. Personally I don’t see him as much of a NHL prospect at the moment, but it’s early so I could naturally still change my mind if he develops a lot. …And this doesn’t mean that someone else couldn’t think differently about him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RKC View Post
I'd like to know more about these lesser known 2013 eligible players like Joose Antonen, Aleksi Mustonen and Saku Salminen. Are they good skaters and what kind of players they are. Obviously the draft is almost 2 years away but are they good enough to be drafted?
Joose Antonen is still a bit of a mystery to me. I’ve only seen him play against older competition and he wasn’t overly visible in those games. Seems like a promising player, but I want to see him more before going into details.

Aleksi Mustonen is a good and agile skater. Seems like determined player with a fairly good head for the game. Clearly not as skilled as for example Juuso Ikonen, but I don’t think he’s that far from Jonatan Tanus who’s another undersized forward. Whether he gets drafted or not depends on his growth and overall development, that’s the name of the game with all these undersized forwards.

Saku Salminen doesn’t seem to be as skilled as his older brother and I wouldn’t call him an elite skater. I’ve seen him a few times now and I’m left with a feeling that his input to the game should be slightly higher before I’d see him as a good NHL prospect; he’s definitely not dominating the game. Let’s see how the change of scenery from HIFK to Jokerit affects his game, maybe there’s more to be heard from him.

Quote:
Btw how high are you on Barkov? I saw him playing few times last season and I must say that it looks like he has developed a lot since then and he was considered as a 1st-2nd round prospect even last season.
Barring a serious injury or something totally unexpected it’s hard to see Barkov not being a 1st rounder in 2013. ISS had Barkov 15th and Ristolainen 17th on their draft guide this summer. I’d think that after this tournament the difference between these two guys should be slightly clearer for Barkov’s advantage. Development in Barkov’s physique and skating power over the summer have made him stand out a lot more, and show that he’s serious about developing his game. Definitely a future pro.

ISS top-3 for 2013 was: 1. Curtis Lazar, 2. Nathan MacKinnon and 3. Seth Jones. I’ve seen Jones play several times now from different web streams and the one that I watched from Fasthockey.com two days ago (the U20 game between Finland and USA White) made me revere him even more than before. He has also developed a lot during the summer. A smooth skating behemoth with great puck skills and the ability to command the offensive blue line. I like him more than Victor Hedman for example. As good of a prospect as Barkov is, Jones is on an even higher level.

I’ve seen MacKinnon play once (a game between Finland and Team Atlantic at the WU-17 Hockey Challenge, also from Fasthockey.com), he’s a totally different kind of player in comparison to Barkov. His success is based on fast, straight forward power game which is accompanied with a high skill level. As of now MacKinnon should probably be seen as a better prospect than Barkov, but let’s see how he adapts to the QMJHL and how he has developed during the summer. It’s not like Barkov couldn’t eventually become a better player than MacKinnon. I haven’t seen Lazar play yet.

---

BTW, did anyone notice this name on the U17 national team list; Teemu Kivihalme - Burnsville Blaze Varsity. Based on a quick Google search he was one of the top freshmen in Minnesota HS hockey, interesting.

Old
08-11-2011, 01:44 AM
sinettiseura

Okay thanks for the analysis, Tormentor. You obiviously think that Barkov has great potential if you compare him to MacKinnon, Jones and Lazar. In this point he doesen't have any big flaws so everything is possible. He is still that young that he can still develop his leg speed quite well. And there is a chance that he grows still couple of inches and ends up something like 6'4. If that happens and his development continues I think that we could have a top 5 contender for 2013. Will be interesting to see jr A games next season. I'm not yet sold on about opinions that his vision and his decisions with the puck are comparable to Mi. Granlund..

Old
08-11-2011, 02:10 AM
Latex*
DM is good

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tormentor;35823813
BTW, did anyone notice this name on the U17 national team list; [B
Teemu Kivihalme[/B] - Burnsville Blaze Varsity. Based on a quick Google search he was one of the top freshmen in Minnesota HS hockey, interesting.
I have to say, that guy has one badass last name.

Old
08-11-2011, 02:27 AM
Latex*
DM is good

Quote:
Originally Posted by LatexiKledjut View Post
I have to say, that guy has one badass last name.
I sure did good work with the bolding well, you get the point.

Old
08-11-2011, 04:06 AM
Latex*
DM is good

Quote:
I sure did good work with the bolding well, you get the point.
I sure did great work reading i though it said 'Kivihame'.. It doesn't sound that cool when i read it correctly.

I prefer Kivihame.

Old
08-11-2011, 06:01 AM
Tormentor

Quote:
Okay thanks for the analysis, Tormentor. You obiviously think that Barkov has great potential if you compare him to MacKinnon, Jones and Lazar. In this point he doesen't have any big flaws so everything is possible. He is still that young that he can still develop his leg speed quite well. And there is a chance that he grows still couple of inches and ends up something like 6'4. If that happens and his development continues I think that we could have a top 5 contender for 2013.
I guess my goal was to say that the consensus seems to be that there are at least a few prospects in 2013 that are perhaps better or more promising than Barkov at the moment. Therefore Barkov might be somewhere in the 6th to 15th range at the moment, but with potential to bypass some of the early favourites, if things go well.

If Barkov is a full time SM-liiga player in 2012/2013 and continues to show promise, I don’t see a reason why he couldn’t be a top-5 contender. If someone like Galchenyuk is a top-5 contender this year, I don’t think Barkov has anything to be ashamed about. Galchenyuk might have a slightly better scoring potential and a higher wow factor in his game, but on the other hand Barkov seems like a player you’d want to build your team around.

Quote:
Will be interesting to see jr A games next season.
I agree, there should be quite a lot of interesting prospects in Jr.A this upcoming season. We’ll probably get a good look of many 2013 prospects and it’s not even their draft year yet.

Quote:
I'm not yet sold on about opinions that his vision and his decisions with the puck are comparable to Mi. Granlund..
I wrote in another thread that Barkov reads the game really well and that a clear majority of his decisions are correct. The next sentence was; it’s almost Granlund like perfection in a NHL frame. …So not equal, but not that far either, at least in my opinion. During Granlund’s rookie season in SM-liiga there was an article in Jääkiekkolehti where a Finnish scouting organization did an in-depth analysis of Granlund’s game. I have a feeling that Barkov would score almost as well in a similar analysis.

And nevertheless Barkov’s hockey mind doesn’t have to be as exceptional as Granlund’s for him to be successful. Unlike Granlund, Barkov won’t have a size hindrance/handicap in comparison to most NHL players.

You seem to be well aware of upcoming Finnish prospects, I’d like to hear more about your views and opinions. Who do you think are the top Finnish prospects for 2013 at the moment? Maybe a top-3, top-5 or whatever you’re comfortable with. From what I’ve seen so far I’d have Barkov 1st, Ristolainen 2nd, Lehkonen 3rd, possibly Koivistoinen 4th and so on…

Quote:
I prefer Kivihame.
I'm glad that I'm not the only one suffering from sudden dyslexia.

Old
08-11-2011, 07:04 AM
thomast

Isn't mackinnon one dimensional player compared to barkov? He's great offensive talent what i have heard. If barkov manages to develope his skating in good Shape and put Granlund like numbers i think he has shot at top 3 He's so versatile, smart and offensively he got everything what is needed for succeeding in his toolbox, leadership .What you think does he have shot at wjc?

Old
08-11-2011, 07:50 AM
ChadS

Quote:
BTW, did anyone notice this name on the U17 national team list; Teemu Kivihalme - Burnsville Blaze Varsity. Based on a quick Google search he was one of the top freshmen in Minnesota HS hockey, interesting.
Noticed this as well and it looks like his dad is quite an estabilshed coach(read something about him being a condition coach/personal trainer as well) in the Minnesota high school hockey scene.

This blog ranks him as the best Minnesota HS freshman last season. Listed last year at 5'10/150, stats from 10/11: 27gp 3g 11a 14pts 12pim +7.

He also participated at last summers Finland U16 camp in Vierumäki: http://www.finhockey.fi/maajoukkueet...aja-ja_maaliv/

Old
08-11-2011, 11:26 AM
sinettiseura

Quote:
I wrote in another thread that Barkov reads the game really well and that a clear majority of his decisions are correct. The next sentence was; it’s almost Granlund like perfection in a NHL frame. …So not equal, but not that far either, at least in my opinion. During Granlund’s rookie season in SM-liiga there was an article in Jääkiekkolehti where a Finnish scouting organization did an in-depth analysis of Granlund’s game. I have a feeling that Barkov would score almost as well in a similar analysis.
I didn't mean that you stated that Barkov's hockey IQ is on same level as Granlund's. Just heard people saying that. But I will get back on this when I have seen Barkov enough to say things about his hockey mind.

Quote:
You seem to be well aware of upcoming Finnish prospects, I’d like to hear more about your views and opinions. Who do you think are the top Finnish prospects for 2013 at the moment? Maybe a top-3, top-5 or whatever you’re comfortable with. From what I’ve seen so far I’d have Barkov 1st, Ristolainen 2nd, Lehkonen 3rd, possibly Koivistoinen 4th and so on…
Well my prospect knowledge is based on very limited views but I like to think that I understand hockey quite well cause I have played it my whole life. Hmm.. My top 5 for 2013: 1. Sasha Barkov- clearly number one after the games I saw in Ivan Hlinka. Big frame, good wrister, decent skating and great vision. Showed some wow factor also against Slovakia. Something I haven't seem from him before. When watched him play in Ivan Hlinka it looked like he doesen't even have to play with full intensity even though the competition is year older than him. Maybe it is because of the ability to froze the game or its tempo. Calm with the puck and poke checks good with his stick. Has developed imo a lot this offseason. Looking good. 2. Rasmus Ristolainen - Has no significant weaknesses in his game. Good hands, big, quite physical, good vision and skating. Does sometimes little bit hasty or nervous decisions with the puck but generally has good understanding of the game. Skating is pretty good but I must say that he looks bit clumsy specially in turns. Maybe it is his growth because I remember he was smoother when I first saw him play 2009-2010 season. His development has slowed down a bit imo. I was expecting him to be a top 10 or even top 5 contender for this draft in some point. He is still a great prospect and has potential to be top 10 pick in 2013. If I remember right he had somekind of injury last autumn? Maybe that has slowed a bit his development... 3. Juuso Ikonen - Have to say Ikonen because he is imo the most talented finn in this draft class. His skating reminds me a lot of Selänne's skating. Has also good vision and hands. All is there but size and maybe shot. Haven't been manhandled in Ivan Hlinka like Jonathan Tanus so I have still hope that he could become NHLer. He is that good skater. If he doesen't grow no more the chances are very slim but if he ends up something like 5'9-5'10 he could have a chance. If he can handle the bigger opponent now why not later?

Hah, I can't decide who to name for the 4. and 5. because haven't seen them yet this season.. the contenders for those places are imo Ville Husso, Koivistoinen, Lehkonen and maybe Alex Lintuniemi. I mentioned Jimi Kuronen here before but what I saw in Slovakia game wasn't convinced.

Old
08-11-2011, 11:54 AM
sinettiseura

Maybe few enters next time

Old
08-11-2011, 12:19 PM
Latex*
DM is good

Quote:
I didn't mean that you stated that Barkov's hockey IQ is on same level as Granlund's. Just heard people saying that. But I will get back on this when I have seen Barkov enough to say things about his hockey mind.

Well my prospect knowledge is based on very limited views but I like to think that I understand hockey quite well cause I have played it my whole life. Hmm.. My top 5 for 2013: 1. Sasha Barkov- clearly number one after the games I saw in Ivan Hlinka. Big frame, good wrister, decent skating and great vision. Showed some wow factor also against Slovakia. Something I haven't seem from him before. When watched him play in Ivan Hlinka it looked like he doesen't even have to play with full intensity even though the competition is year older than him. Maybe it is because of the ability to froze the game or its tempo. Calm with the puck and poke checks good with his stick. Has developed imo a lot this offseason. Looking good. 2. Rasmus Ristolainen - Has no significant weaknesses in his game. Good hands, big, quite physical, good vision and skating. Does sometimes little bit hasty or nervous decisions with the puck but generally has good understanding of the game. Skating is pretty good but 2. I must say that he looks bit clumsy specially in turns. Maybe it is his growth because I remember he was smoother when I first saw him play 2009-2010 season. His development has slowed down a bit imo. I was expecting him to be a top 10 or even top 5 contender for this draft in some point. He is still a great prospect and has potential to be top 10 pick in 2013. If I remember right he had somekind of injury last autumn? Maybe that has slowed a bit his development... 3. Juuso Ikonen - Have to say Ikonen because he is imo the most talented finn in this draft class. His skating reminds me a lot of Selänne's skating. Has also good vision and hands. All is there but size and maybe shot. Haven't been manhandled in Ivan Hlinka like Jonathan Tanus so I have still hope that he could become NHLer. He is that good skater. If he doesen't grow no more the chances are very slim but if he ends up something like 5'9-5'10 he could have a chance. If he can handle the bigger opponent now why not later?

Hah, I can't decide who to name for the 4. and 5. because haven't seen them yet this season.. the contenders for those places are imo Ville Husso, Koivistoinen, Lehkonen and maybe Alex Lintuniemi. I mentioned Jimi Kuronen here before but what I saw in Slovakia game wasn't convinced.
1st Bolded part: In the few chances i have had to watch him play, his decision making with the puck in the offensive zone seemed very good. Maybe he tried too hard/fancy passes or shots from bad places, but that was by no means "hasty" or "nervous". I'd say it's more of a maturity thing, like with Vatanen a few years ago.

2nd Bolded part: Hmmm.. Really? IMO his skating was technically very good, and seemed to be very agile guy for his size. Skating technique was smooth i'd say, but he didn't seem to have that immediate burst of acceleration/speed. Nyt tuli kielimuuri väliin, mutta kundilla sotkeutu jalat toisiinsa ja tuntu jotenkin koordinaatio olevan hukassa välillä. The problem was IMO not in the skating technique, but in his physique. (like you kind of said)

Biggest problem is his defensive awareness/positioning. I'm not worried about that, because he seems to have pretty good hockey sense and with tougher opponents he'll learn that eventually.

Just my 2 cents.

Very nice to hear other peoples opinions about these youngsters! Keep 'em coming!

Old
08-11-2011, 12:23 PM
Latex*
DM is good

Quote:
2nd Bolded part: Hmmm.. Really? IMO his skating was technically very good, and seemed to be very agile guy for his size. Skating technique was smooth i'd say, but he didn't seem to have that immediate burst of acceleration/speed. Nyt tuli kielimuuri väliin, mutta kundilla sotkeutu jalat toisiinsa ja tuntu jotenkin koordinaatio olevan hukassa välillä. The problem was IMO not in the skating technique, but in his physique. (like you kind of said)
By agile i of course mean, "blade work" or whatever it's called was very good. Not agile in terms of physical traits.

I hate that i can't edit my posts.

Ei tunnu päästä irtoavan mitään kyllä tänään. Huoh..

Old
08-11-2011, 01:01 PM
thomast

Quote:
1st Bolded part: In the few chances i have had to watch him play, his decision making with the puck in the offensive zone seemed very good. Maybe he tried too hard/fancy passes or shots from bad places, but that was by no means "hasty" or "nervous". I'd say it's more of a maturity thing, like with Vatanen a few years ago.

Biggest problem is his defensive awareness/positioning. I'm not worried about that, because he seems to have pretty good hockey sense and with tougher opponents he'll learn that eventually.

Just my 2 cents.

Very nice to hear other peoples opinions about these youngsters! Keep 'em coming!
You're right Ristolainen is a very smooth skater, Barkov's skating is bit clumsy.

Old
08-11-2011, 01:05 PM
sinettiseura

Quote:
LatexiKledjut;35846007]1st Bolded part: In the few chances i have had to watch him play, his decision making with the puck in the offensive zone seemed very good. Maybe he tried too hard/fancy passes or shots from bad places, but that was by no means "hasty" or "nervous". I'd say it's more of a maturity thing, like with Vatanen a few years ago.
Okay misunderstanding here because I meant to say decision making in defencive zone. Offensive zone he is good when he has time. But defensive zone he has sometimes problems which are related to his maturity and postioning.. maybe "hasty" or nervous aren't the right words for decision he sometimes does in defensive zone but I mean that he does sometimes risky or bit "stupid".. Does too quick decision when he has time and holds the puck when he hasn't the time or so... Normally he has good first pass but sometimes he has these problems.

But those are things that develop when he gets older..

Quote:
I think that we have consensus in this thing. What I meant is that his skating is good. Good technique, decent speed and acceleration but he has some clumsiness in his moves when for example turning around for examle in front of the goal. And I also think that they are related to his growth and that he hasn't used to his body etc..

I think that we were talking pretty much about same things but I just wrote my points little unclearly...

Old
08-11-2011, 01:29 PM
thomast

Ok, lets start new topic, can Barkov play himself into U-20 roster? I think he would, he would be our number 2 center in my books put more offensive players on his line like in Ivan Hlinka, Barkov balances it. I think we should do 1st line 2A and 2B lines fourth line would be energy line, like last year WJC, it worked well.

Old
08-11-2011, 01:45 PM
sinettiseura

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomast View Post
Ok, lets start new topic, can Barkov play himself into U-20 roster? I think he would, he would be our number 2 center in my books put more offensive players on his line like in Ivan Hlinka, Barkov balances it. I think we should do 1st line 2A and 2B lines fourth line would be energy line, like last year WJC, it worked well.
Haha first I was like "this dude has serious bias for barkov! No way some 15 year old is going to play in WJC" but then I realized that Määttä is just one year older than Barkov and he played in WJC last year and Granlund played also as a 16 years old. But to answer your question I think that there is just two offensive lines and Barkov isn't physically ready for grinders role so no chance.

I think also that his game isn't at the same level what Granlund's game was when he first played in WJC. Barkov's development has just started to take big steps. Also the roster Granlund broke in wasn't that good we have now.

Old
08-11-2011, 02:22 PM
thomast

Quote:
Haha first I was like "this dude has serious bias for barkov! No way some 15 year old is going to play in WJC" but then I realized that Määttä is just one year older than Barkov and he played in WJC last year and Granlund played also as a 16 years old. But to answer your question I think that there is just two offensive lines and Barkov isn't physically ready for grinders role so no chance.

I think also that his game isn't at the same level what Granlund's game was when he first played in WJC. Barkov's development has just started to take big steps. Also the roster Granlund broke in wasn't that good we have now.
There's alot of players who fails at Camp at USA. I think he has chance to the team. Määttä played 1 shift Granlund played because there was weak team in that year.

Old
08-11-2011, 06:51 PM
Tormentor

Probably best that I don’t say much about MacKinnon since I’ve only seen him once and it was through a web stream, but I don’t think he’s a new Crosby, that’s for sure.

Ristolainen’s game defensively in his own zone could be a thing worth keeping an eye on against tougher opponents. He didn’t have problems in Jr.B or national team, but last season in Jr.A his +/- was -20 in only 27 games, which was worst in his team and one of the worst in the whole league. I remember watching a Jr.A game where he was in trouble in his own zone almost every other shift, it seemed that he had problems reading and anticipating the play correctly, plus he was running around a bit foolishly every now and then. The coach was clearly trying to give instructions to him after the shifts. Ristolainen seemed to have a fairly free role to take boldly part in offensive plays, so in total his +/- isn’t a big surprise, but his defensive game might be the part where he needs to improve the most. It would be nice to see him play regularly in SM-liiga in order to get a better picture of his defensive shortcomings at the moment. I don’t think him playing against kids of his own age is going to tell as much anymore.

I remember seeing Ristolainen for the first time when he was playing in Jr.C as an underager, he was probably 5’9’’ tall at the time and what really stood out in his game was his great lateral movement. Growing 6 inches during the next 2 or 3 years changed the way he moves.

If Juuso Ikonen would be 6’0’’ tall, he’d 1st on my list. 5’10’’ and he’d be 2nd on my list, but he’s probably something like 5’7’’ at the moment, so all I can say that let’s hope he still has some growth left in him.

I like the way Lehkonen has developed lately, during WU-17 hockey Challenge he was still clearly behind Ikonen and Tanus, but during Jr.B playoffs he was the best player for TPS alongside with Ristolainen, and now in Hlinka he seemed like the best forward on the 2nd line. Such a smart player and plays a surprisingly mature two-way game. I’m not sure if he’s a prime NHL prospect just yet, but I have a feeling that he at least has a good chance of developing into a national team player. Seems to have grown from last season as well, looks to be something like 5’10’’ at the moment.

Koivistoinen is an intriguing prospect; skill, size and a fairly nice skating ability. Not quite sure about his hockey sense, level of determination and the ability/willingness to play a more physical game. As far as I can tell he could go either way, either he becomes a good pro player or just another beer leaguer. Seeing him play in Jr.A should answer some questions.

At first I was very high on Husso, but I have since then changed my mind a bit and I’m not sure if he’s ready for a full season in Jr.A this upcoming season. Not that I understand much about goaltending. Lintuniemi is a 2014 prospect by the way.

I’ve watched 8 periods from U20 Summer Challenge now (missed the 3rd period against Sweden, I was too sleepy) and I have to say that Barkov might have a small chance of making the team, especially if either Mi.Granlund or Salomäki is unavailable for some reason. There just aren’t that many good options for centre forward position. I think Barkov should be tried out in Mestis games to see how he succeeds there and advance from there if things go well. You won’t loose anything by looking at this option. Of course we have to remember that USA and Slovakia weren’t the best possible opponents at Hlinka, so maybe that gave a too good of a picture about him. We’ll be a lot wiser in a few months.

Ruuttu played the first two games with Pulkkinen and Ma.Granlund on the 1st line and didn’t really shine, not enough puck skills and didn’t seem ready for such a big role. He didn’t play tonight and I think he might be more useful in an energy role on the 3rd or 4th line. Paajanen played between P & G tonight and wasn’t much better. Then there’s Halinen who was used a lot on penalty kill and might be the best option that we have for the 4th line centre forward role. Ma.Granlund is another option as a centre forward, but I’d prefer to see him on the wing in this tournament.

In my dreams the forward lines for WJC’s would at the moment be as following:
Mr.Someone – Mi.Granlund - Pulkkinen
Donskoi – Barkov - Salomäki
Ma.Granlund - Ruuttu - Armia
Suoranta – Halinen - Partanen

I’m hoping for 3 strong lines, the option to move Salomäki to the wing, Barkov having a real breakthrough season and someone coming from nowhere to fill one of the top-9 roles):

Old
08-11-2011, 08:35 PM
Latex*
DM is good

Quote:
Probably best that I don’t say much about MacKinnon since I’ve only seen him once and it was through a web stream, but I don’t think he’s a new Crosby, that’s for sure.

Ristolainen’s game defensively in his own zone could be a thing worth keeping an eye on against tougher opponents. He didn’t have problems in Jr.B or national team, but last season in Jr.A his +/- was -20 in only 27 games, which was worst in his team and one of the worst in the whole league. I remember watching a Jr.A game where he was in trouble in his own zone almost every other shift, it seemed that he had problems reading and anticipating the play correctly, plus he was running around a bit foolishly every now and then. The coach was clearly trying to give instructions to him after the shifts. Ristolainen seemed to have a fairly free role to take boldly part in offensive plays, so in total his +/- isn’t a big surprise, but his defensive game might be the part where he needs to improve the most. It would be nice to see him play regularly in SM-liiga in order to get a better picture of his defensive shortcomings at the moment. I don’t think him playing against kids of his own age is going to tell as much anymore.

I remember seeing Ristolainen for the first time when he was playing in Jr.C as an underager, he was probably 5’9’’ tall at the time and what really stood out in his game was his great lateral movement. Growing 6 inches during the next 2 or 3 years changed the way he moves.

If Juuso Ikonen would be 6’0’’ tall, he’d 1st on my list. 5’10’’ and he’d be 2nd on my list, but he’s probably something like 5’7’’ at the moment, so all I can say that let’s hope he still has some growth left in him.

I like the way Lehkonen has developed lately, during WU-17 hockey Challenge he was still clearly behind Ikonen and Tanus, but during Jr.B playoffs he was the best player for TPS alongside with Ristolainen, and now in Hlinka he seemed like the best forward on the 2nd line. Such a smart player and plays a surprisingly mature two-way game. I’m not sure if he’s a prime NHL prospect just yet, but I have a feeling that he at least has a good chance of developing into a national team player. Seems to have grown from last season as well, looks to be something like 5’10’’ at the moment.

Koivistoinen is an intriguing prospect; skill, size and a fairly nice skating ability. Not quite sure about his hockey sense, level of determination and the ability/willingness to play a more physical game. As far as I can tell he could go either way, either he becomes a good pro player or just another beer leaguer. Seeing him play in Jr.A should answer some questions.

At first I was very high on Husso, but I have since then changed my mind a bit and I’m not sure if he’s ready for a full season in Jr.A this upcoming season. Not that I understand much about goaltending. Lintuniemi is a 2014 prospect by the way.

I’ve watched 8 periods from U20 Summer Challenge now (missed the 3rd period against Sweden, I was too sleepy) and I have to say that Barkov might have a small chance of making the team, especially if either Mi.Granlund or Salomäki is unavailable for some reason. There just aren’t that many good options for centre forward position. I think Barkov should be tried out in Mestis games to see how he succeeds there and advance from there if things go well. You won’t loose anything by looking at this option. Of course we have to remember that USA and Slovakia weren’t the best possible opponents at Hlinka, so maybe that gave a too good of a picture about him. We’ll be a lot wiser in a few months.

Ruuttu played the first two games with Pulkkinen and Ma.Granlund on the 1st line and didn’t really shine, not enough puck skills and didn’t seem ready for such a big role. He didn’t play tonight and I think he might be more useful in an energy role on the 3rd or 4th line. Paajanen played between P & G tonight and wasn’t much better. Then there’s Halinen who was used a lot on penalty kill and might be the best option that we have for the 4th line centre forward role. Ma.Granlund is another option as a centre forward, but I’d prefer to see him on the wing in this tournament.

In my dreams the forward lines for WJC’s would at the moment be as following:
Mr.Someone – Mi.Granlund - Pulkkinen
Donskoi – Barkov - Salomäki
Ma.Granlund - Ruuttu - Armia
Suoranta – Halinen - Partanen

I’m hoping for 3 strong lines, the option to move Salomäki to the wing, Barkov having a real breakthrough season and someone coming from nowhere to fill one of the top-9 roles):
Oh wow, Salomäki in the 2nd line and Armia in the 3rd? I know you have a bias for the lapplanders (), but that's... something. Two defensively good forwards in the 2nd line and 2 guys that are totally useless in the d-zone in the 3rd?

Partanen can play RW? That's good news i guess. I'd expect "mr someone" to be a guy for the 3rd line. Hoping for Partanen to break out offensively, and for Armia to learn to use his body. These would be my lines if those things happen:

Donskoi - Mi.G - Armia (hmm why not try?)

Partanen (if he breaks out) - Barkov - Pulkkinen

Ma.G - Ruuttu - "Mr. Someone"

Insert a grinder here - Salomäki - Grinder Here too

I'm going to get flamed for this sooooo bad...

Old
08-11-2011, 10:12 PM
thomast

Quote:
Oh wow, Salomäki in the 2nd line and Armia in the 3rd? I know you have a bias for the lapplanders (), but that's... something. Two defensively good forwards in the 2nd line and 2 guys that are totally useless in the d-zone in the 3rd?

Partanen can play RW? That's good news i guess. I'd expect "mr someone" to be a guy for the 3rd line. Hoping for Partanen to break out offensively, and for Armia to learn to use his body. These would be my lines if those things happen:

Donskoi - Mi.G - Armia (hmm why not try?)

Partanen (if he breaks out) - Barkov - Pulkkinen

Ma.G - Ruuttu - "Mr. Someone"

Insert a grinder here - Salomäki - Grinder Here too

I'm going to get flamed for this sooooo bad...
Donskoi faired pretty Well without Granlund or Pulkkinen last wjc. So we should spread the scoring potential and keep them seperated. Ma. Granlund and Armia has nice chemistry so keep them together. So does Mikke and pulu. I had similar lines in my head with tormentor.There is Always a supriser who come out of nowhere.

Closed Thread