HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Softest team this year?

Closed Thread

Old
08-11-2011, 01:02 AM
HatchtrickBateman

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheAngryHank View Post
Dallas.
lol really?

Morrow, Benn, Robidas, Grossman, Ott, Godard, Souray, Fistric, Barch(cant fight very good but hits), Dowell, Burish, Pardy..

i hope you're trollin, if not it's pathetic how little people know about this team. If i remember right, last season Dallas was one of two teams with 3 guys with at least 200 hits.

Last edited by HatchtrickBateman: 08-11-2011 at 01:08 AM.
Old
08-11-2011, 01:06 AM
nitric
German Engineering

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeafOfBread View Post
I agree 100% with what you're saying, but this part didn't make sense to me at all.

And sad how this thread turned into a Vancouver vs Boston vs Montreal argument.
I thought that was the whole purpose of the Main Boards.

Old
08-11-2011, 01:28 AM
TheAngryHank
Expert

vCash: 519
Quote:
Originally Posted by NEstarfan View Post
lol really?

Morrow, Benn, Robidas, Grossman, Ott, Godard, Souray, Fistric, Barch(cant fight very good but hits), Dowell, Burish, Pardy..

i hope you're trollin, if not it's pathetic how little people know about this team. If i remember right, last season Dallas was one of two teams with 3 guys with at least 200 hits.
I wasn't trolling , I just picked some random team because I was the first to reply.

Old
08-11-2011, 02:30 AM
Penslaaja

Vancouver, Ottawa.

Old
08-11-2011, 02:59 AM
DumpyD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dojji View Post
Eh, the fact that the Flyers ran into the Cup champs and it didn't go well doesn't make 'em soft, after all the Bruins beat everyone this postseason. Their goaltending got exposed, and that's not going to be a problem going forward with Bryzgalov and Bobrovsky, it's not Timmy and Tuukka, but that's a match for, say, Roloson and Smith, and that's apparently good enough to get you to the ECF.

They might have some problems with depth or experience at forward, but I don't think they'll have any trouble with softness.
The Boston Bruins had nothing to do with what I said.

Old
08-11-2011, 03:12 AM
BobbyMarks1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Master_Of_Districts View Post
The post above yours indicates that the Canadiens had 37 fewer powerplay opportunities than their opponents last year. Without checking, I'm confident that this was one of the worst differentials in the league.

Your assertion was that the Canadiens employ a passive game plan centered around diving and drawing more powerplays than the opposition.

The evidence discussed above calls the validity of that assertion into question.
That evidence suggests that the Habs took more penalties than they drew.

Last edited by BobbyMarks1: 08-11-2011 at 03:44 AM.
Old
08-11-2011, 03:12 AM
DumpyD

Quote:
Originally Posted by struckbyaparkedcar View Post
In musing on a response to this, I realized half the guys that jumped to mind didn't actually play for that team anymore

But there's still no way that lineup is softest in the league. They won't win many fights, but Hartnell/Simmonds/Talbot are all tough to play against, Pronger is still going to work over everyone he can in front of the net, Mezaros can throw the body as well, and Shelly is a decent enforcer for 40 odd games. Giroux plays a lot bigger than he is too.
Every team can name at least 2-3 grinder types. Mesz and Coburn aren't exactly tough guys, but they do help fight off the softness label. You might be lucky to get 80 games out of Pronger and Shelley combined at this point.

The reason they came immediately to mind is because of their complete lack of size down the middle. Their only center to be over 6' is a rookie.

Old
08-11-2011, 03:13 AM
BobbyMarks1

As much as I would like to say the Habs or Canucks, I think the Oilers are just a little bit softer... But not by much.

Old
08-11-2011, 03:15 AM
BobbyMarks1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Master_Of_Districts View Post
That's your perception of what happened.

It's not fact.
Wisniewski drew a high sticking penalty with 3 minutes left and his team down 1 that didn't even hit him.

Old
08-11-2011, 03:30 AM
voyageur
Registered lunatic

Quote:
Montreal. They don't care about being dominated physically, they just start diving and turn it around on the physical team. They revel in softness. They prosper by softness. It's the softness of a willow tree. It's the softness of a silk bulletproof vest. Softness is one of their strengths. Going down like they're shot by a .50 cal gets them their beloved power plays, and allows them to just play a tight trap in 5 on 5 and wait for a team to get frustrated enough to give them more power plays. That's why a team that is so small can be so deadly at times.

It's a comprehensive strategy with them, and one that's built around other teams' ability to manhandle them physically, and turning that into a weapon for their own purposes. It's slick, professional, intelligent, and soft as melted ice cream.
Boston fan? Wasn't Montreal the most penalized team in the league? I don't think their strategy worked, though I acknowledge that they do dive too much, even as a Habs fan. However Hal Gill, Travis Moen, and Ryan White are tough cookies. I would say Florida is the softest team.

Old
08-11-2011, 03:30 AM
K2B
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by WendelBrown View Post
That's true. He sure puts a lot of heart into his dives. Sometimes I really just relate to him and root for him until I see the replay. He's that good. Maverick really.
So yeah I'm guessing you didn't watch Kesler play last year.

Old
08-11-2011, 03:40 AM
BobbyMarks1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biggest Canuck Fan View Post
This is the only true statement you have made.

Vancouver isn't injured, they Roll the Big Bad Bruins.

But you don't truly get that.

You get Daniel mixed up with Henrik in the face punching incident which tells me how truly knowledgable a fan you really are.

And I know you think the Bruins magical run was because of their "superiority", when in fact it stemmed from an unworldly performance from their goalie who showed in the past the said mental fragility, and meeting the best team in the final that...

Everything that could go wrong at the most critical time and juncture did go wrong. It is truly remarkable that the Canucks were even within a game with so many injuries, the suspension, the pp and defense going virtually scoreless... That is not because they could not do it like you ridiculously make it out, but here's more:

Alot of you would say the Canucks had "so many lucky" things go their way...

Playing the Defending SC Champs in round 1? Having their rookie goalie (Crawford) in all honesty out preform your money goalie (Luongo) and almost win you a series in all honesty they had no business being in?

Then playing Rinne and a Preds team that took out the heavily favored and feared Ducks in a quick 6 games, who then play a grind out physically tough series?

Then playing the top defensive team in Boston who had not only the Vezina winning goalie, but for the entire series put on a clinic of goaltending we may not see again for another 10-15 years?

Or the Luck of playing Kieth and Seabrook, then Weber Suter and finally Chara Seidenburg?

Or the Injury Luck of having your #1, #2 Centers battle severe injuries, losing your top Shut down D man to injury, having the other play on one leg because of a Severly bruised MCL, or having your best Defenseman play with 2 broken fingers, or your best offensive D man play with a seperated shoulder?

Or how about starting the playoffs without their best faceoff and top Defensive center who can shadow and make a huge impact in shutting down the other teams top lines, forcing your #2 center who scored 40 goals to play defence instead?

Or how about losing one of your 3rd line impact players to a suspension? Or having one of you depth D men who provides line stability suspended for the rest of the SCF because he was made an example of for a hockey hit we see 99/100 times not suspended?

Yeah the Canucks Clearly had alot of things go their way during this run. That was why losing was so hard. Clearly they were the best team in hockey, and should've won the cup, but almost everything that could've stack up against them, did stack up against them... and they still almost won!

Vancouver is not soft mentaly or physically. In fact they may be one of the toughest!

The Bruins? You guys point to winning 3 game 7's, yet really the bruins played and injured Habs team missing their best D man in Markov, and then Spacek getting injured... by the time the series was done the Bruins barely beat a team, that if healthy would've beaten them for certain. Sure Chara is out for 1 game that series... oh the adversity.

Then they play the Flyers who were without their best D man, their forwards were beat up and injured, and most importantly a goalie whou couldn't back stop a junior team. Remember the Flyers starter Boucher, I mean Leighton... oh yeah Leighton left the team in the middle of the series... but you never think of that and the effect the injuries and the drama those have on the team and the series. As a Bruins fan you just think your Bruins were so dominant that the dominace is the true factor.

Then you play a TB team that should've won, and had the player who scored the game 7 winner where the Refs clearly would not call a penalty, a detriment for the Lighting, not the Bruins, especially after getting pummled the game before on the PK. A game in which Horton clearly interacts with the fan that clearly violates league policy where he had to be suspended... but not for game 7 cause that could hurt the Bruins.

Aside from the Horton Injury, everything the bruins needed to go right for them to win the cup did.

It had nothing to do with the Bruins being a vastly superior team.

That happens. Happened for the 86 and 93 habs as well as the 2006 Canes.

But you would never get that, and just be a nice humble person. Instead you flaunt your teams success as a "Say anything I want and get away with it badge".

Bruins got lucky! Plain and simple. Enjoy the win, but don't call the Wings Habs or Canucks soft, cause those 2 teams are the least soft teams you will ever face.
All those things sound nice, but it doesn't change the fact that when most fans, no matter where they live, think soft, they think Canucks, aside from Canucks fans of course.

Old
08-11-2011, 03:56 AM
Rivet52
Sabres & Blackhawks

Send a message via AIM to Rivet52
Not seeing Buffalo as the answer to the question of this thread is like a pot of gold at the end of a very long rainbow.

Old
08-11-2011, 07:23 AM
theboss*

Quote:
Subban, Halpern, Wisniewski and Hamrlik all caught on tape trying to dive or embellish at key points in game 7 alone. Halpern in particular deserved a Golden Globe.

I don't blame you for downplaying that. But I am gonna call you on it.
I don't know why you are talking. Chara dove in the series. He got hit by Eller. What garbage your captain did that. Lucic can't take a clean hit. Bruins dive a **** amount of too. Jack Edwards act like it's nothing.

Old
08-11-2011, 08:18 AM
seafoam
Players, please

vCash: 395
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hot Conroy View Post
Would Edmonton be considered soft? I'm not trying to pick on a division rival here, but it was a team that came to mind. Also the Islanders?
Trevor Gillies, Matt Martin, Michael Haley, and even Travis Hamonic say Hi!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=puMana_bq1o

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5BMQuNfOzrE

Old
08-11-2011, 08:19 AM
Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rivet52 View Post
Not seeing Buffalo as the answer to the question of this thread is like a pot of gold at the end of a very long rainbow.
BUFFALO!

Old
08-11-2011, 08:26 AM
SupremefartMachine

Easily Montreal and Vancouver. The top two Olympic diving teams!

Old
08-11-2011, 08:39 AM
HH
GO HABS GO!

Quote:
Not really. It implies a generally accurate statement that some bit of it was taken too far. If he'd used a word like "hyperbole" then maybe.
Then the Bruins are neanderthals and gutless ugly with huge noses. I call it as I see it.

Old
08-11-2011, 08:41 AM
HH
GO HABS GO!

Quote:
What's not fact?

That Subban grabbed Campbell's stick under his right armpit, looked around for a striped shirt, and deliberately hit the deck in the third period with his team down a goal?

That Wisniewski flinched his head back and felt his nose when Bergeron's stick didn't even come within 4 inches of his head with minutes to go in the third?

That Hamrlik's biggest faults on the Kelly goal to make it 3-2 were first failing to get a call on a borderline high-stick, and then not getting back up fast enough to get back into the play?

That Halpern deliberately ran facefirst into Ference and then fell to the ice like Andrew was made of depleted uranium?

Which one of these is not fact?
Facts? Child pleaseeeee

Old
08-11-2011, 08:44 AM
SupremefartMachine

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryI View Post
Then the Bruins are neanderthals and gutless ugly with huge noses. I call it as I see it.
It's called hockey, watch a different sport if hockey is a little to physical for your tastes. Such ********!

Old
08-11-2011, 08:46 AM
CloneHakanPlease*

Quote:
Originally Posted by zombi View Post
Not sure how Detroit is considered soft now...

Kronwall, Cleary, Bertuzzi, Stuart, White, Commadore, Ericsson, Abdelkader, Helm, Franzen....
If you are expecting White to come in and be a force you are setting him up to unlofty expectations. He has thrown a few good hits, but he isn't that type of player.

Bertuzzi and Franzen are both big, but soft especially. When was the last time you saw Franzen throw a huge hit? He has a temper, and can throw it down in scrums, but he is too fragile to do anything.

Also just LOL at Ericsson being listed. He is one of the softest players relative to his size in the league. That may change now that there will be more pressure on him, but as of Now you cannot say he is a physical player in the least.

Old
08-11-2011, 08:48 AM
tarheelhockey
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple Axel View Post
Carolina.

And they all dive....
For real, the Canes are easily as soft and dive-y as the Habs.

Old
08-11-2011, 08:49 AM
Iamok
#Panic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penslaaja View Post
Vancouver, Ottawa.
Neil, Smith, Carkner and Konopka say hi.

Old
08-11-2011, 08:51 AM
Jerk Store*
Classless

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biggest Canuck Fan View Post
You are always such a sane and respectful poster. I salute you sir. But he is right. As soon as that goal went in I knew it was over. not just the way Thomas played, but the Bruins did one thing in the final that was truly impressive and deserve full marks for it...

I have never seen a team collapse in front of their goalie and prevent 2nd and 3rd chances like the bruins. Was very awesome to watch. Canucks being so injured had no answers for it.

Dojji, please enjoy your teams cup win for quite a long team. Win with humility!
Wow... Stop making excuses. You ask the other guy to win with humility, then don't downplay their win with your silly "we could have won but we were injured" bs. You're looking for people to rub it in your face with dumb comments like that.

Old
08-11-2011, 08:57 AM
Jerk Store*
Classless

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryI View Post

Anyway, your lack of toughness got you nowhere. Their team toughness won them the cup. What's your point? Enjoy the... small noses in Montreal?

Closed Thread