Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2

Kitchener Rangers Off-Season Thread

Old
08-10-2011, 11:43 AM
Ward Cornell

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by KnightRanger View Post
I see the rosters are up for most of the teams now on the OHL Website. The Rangers have 7 OA's currently listed on the roster. I would have to think they keep Catenacci, Jasper and Melchiori. Anyone heard anything?
Lowry has committed to WLU (he did last year also but thought he would try the OHL one last time but we know how well that went so i expect he won't be back).
If Randall is available to be here then I suspect it would be between him and Jasper.

edited to ad.....I assumed Randall would be one of the 7 and I just noticed he isn't!
The seven are:
Sol
Catenacci
Hassan
Lopes
Jasper
Melchiori
Lowry

Ward Cornell is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2011, 12:58 PM
Tim Wallach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ward Cornell View Post
Lowry has committed to WLU (he did last year also but thought he would try the OHL one last time but we know how well that went so i expect he won't be back).
If Randall is available to be here then I suspect it would be between him and Jasper.

edited to ad.....I assumed Randall would be one of the 7 and I just noticed he isn't!
The seven are:
Sol
Catenacci
Hassan
Lopes
Jasper
Melchiori
Lowry
Spott himself indicated that the three he's planning on having are Cat, Jasper and Melchiori. I expect Sol and Randell in the AHL as both are signed players. And Hassan and Lopes simply take ice from a younger player, so they'd be cut loose.

Unless something drastic changes, like Randell surprisingly showing up or Melchiori making the AHL, that won't change. The Rangers are virtually set.

Tim Wallach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2011, 08:05 PM
EvenSteven

As far as Hicks goes, I was always of the belief that he was using his position as Rangers beat writer as a stepping stone - a way to graduate, if you will, to one of the major Toronto newspapers, or the equivalent in another major city.

Had all he ever wanted to do was write on the Rangers for the Record, he would have written those articles that the anti-Hicks people wanted written. You know, sunshine and lollipops, all is well on and off the ice no matter what, etc. etc.

Instead, Hicks wrote articles such as:
- the anti-Ranger 2002 Kit/Gue fracas I mentioned earlier
- bringing to light, and questioning the post season team trip down south
- the interview with D'Amigo's father that had Jerry being mad about being sent here
- being criticle of the DiRienzo/Heshmatpour for Turple trade
- Roy and Halkidis being suspended for having a beer

I'm sure others could add to the list.

These are the types of articles that columists like Steve Simmons, Damian Cox, Al Strachan and others write in their publications. Hicks was just covering the Rangers in a comparable way.

I know, I know. Not everyone likes the above mentioned columnists. However, most that don't are the same kind of fans that don't like Hicks - fans that don't want anything negative written about their team. A lot of Leaf fans I know don't like the above columnists for the same reason some Ranger fans didn't like Hicks.

But Hicks saw those guys earning a good living in the manner that they did and Hicks probably just wanted to one day get a comparable gig. No harm in that.

If you want to read a good book, by the way, Al Strachan's "Why the Leafs suck..." is a good one. He goes into some detail on how the manner in which columnists cover their respective teams has changed over the years. One time, nothing bad was written about the teams and that was that. The writers were almost like employees of the team. These days, it's completely different.

On the overage situation:

Spott has said that Catenacci, Melchiori, and Jasper would be the OA's. However, I have to believe that if either Randell or Sol was ever sent back to Kitchener, they'd bump Jasper out of a job.

Sol because he is just better on the back end and Randell because we could use the toughness - and we have a lot of d-men signed already.

Randell is that type of player who could be this season's Mike Angelidis or Brandon Mashinter.

To be honest, depending on how the young defense looks, Jasper may be bumped out of a job.

Right now on the roster we have:
Melchiori - 91
Jasper - 91
Murphy - 93
Fanelli - 93
McEneny - 94
Young - 94
Genovese - 94
Gilbert - 95

What if Fanelli returns? What if Spott chooses to bring in a physical OA forward? Maybe one of Kaib or Mayfield reports (longshots). It's a long season and I'm thinking the odds of Jasper finishing the season as a Ranger may not be that good.

EvenSteven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2011, 08:48 PM
Tigers1992

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvenSteven View Post
As far as Hicks goes, I was always of the belief that he was using his position as Rangers beat writer as a stepping stone - a way to graduate, if you will, to one of the major Toronto newspapers, or the equivalent in another major city.

Had all he ever wanted to do was write on the Rangers for the Record, he would have written those articles that the anti-Hicks people wanted written. You know, sunshine and lollipops, all is well on and off the ice no matter what, etc. etc.

Instead, Hicks wrote articles such as:
- the anti-Ranger 2002 Kit/Gue fracas I mentioned earlier
- bringing to light, and questioning the post season team trip down south
- the interview with D'Amigo's father that had Jerry being mad about being sent here
- being criticle of the DiRienzo/Heshmatpour for Turple trade
- Roy and Halkidis being suspended for having a beer

I'm sure others could add to the list.

These are the types of articles that columists like Steve Simmons, Damian Cox, Al Strachan and others write in their publications. Hicks was just covering the Rangers in a comparable way.

I know, I know. Not everyone likes the above mentioned columnists. However, most that don't are the same kind of fans that don't like Hicks - fans that don't want anything negative written about their team. A lot of Leaf fans I know don't like the above columnists for the same reason some Ranger fans didn't like Hicks.

But Hicks saw those guys earning a good living in the manner that they did and Hicks probably just wanted to one day get a comparable gig. No harm in that.

If you want to read a good book, by the way, Al Strachan's "Why the Leafs suck..." is a good one. He goes into some detail on how the manner in which columnists cover their respective teams has changed over the years. One time, nothing bad was written about the teams and that was that. The writers were almost like employees of the team. These days, it's completely different.
Go look at my comment about the CHL Import's. He came off as someone who really, really tried to be anti CHL. Im not a Ranger fan, but I just found his colums to be controversial for the sake of controversy. There is a difference, in my opinion, between that and wringing a strong opinion piece.

Either way, he wont be missed by me.

Tigers1992 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2011, 07:10 AM
KnightRanger

This mornings record is rumoring Morrison to Oshawa. Anyone heard who or what might be coming to Kitchener for him??

KnightRanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2011, 10:04 AM
Ward Cornell

Quote:
This mornings record is rumoring Morrison to Oshawa. Anyone heard who or what might be coming to Kitchener for him??
Since Brian Burke liked the results of D'Amigo's tenure here maybe the rights to Tyler Biggs and something conditional? (would be really sweet!!!!)
There seems to be some talk/rumours of Scott Laughlan coming here.
I believe (someone can confirm) Laughlan was Matias teammate with the Marlies.

Old
08-11-2011, 10:25 AM
Tigers1992

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ward Cornell View Post
Since Brian Burke liked the results of D'Amigo's tenure here maybe the rights to Tyler Biggs and something conditional? (would be really sweet!!!!)
There seems to be some talk/rumours of Scott Laughlan coming here.
I believe (someone can confirm) Laughlan was Matias teammate with the Marlies.
He was yes.

I cant see Laughton for Morrison, thats tipped pretty favourly towards Kitchener.

Tigers1992 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2011, 10:31 AM
Ward Cornell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigers1992 View Post
He was yes.

I cant see Laughton for Morrison, thats tipped pretty favourly towards Kitchener.
I agree.....but those 2 would be the centrepieces going eachway.

Old
08-11-2011, 06:00 PM
EvenSteven

Quote:

Oh my god!! How dare Hicks actually print the name of a Ranger player rumored to be dealt from the team!! Doesn't he know that these guys are just teenagers, etc, etc.

Oops my bad. Josh Brown covers the Rangers now

Old
08-11-2011, 07:12 PM
EvenSteven

The question was asked on the Rangersrush board about the "Amodeo nonsense" and since I was the one who brought it up on this board and was quoted over on that board, I thought I'd give a little summary as to what went down.

Guelph was at Kitchener for their 2nd last game or the regular season. Late in the game, when the game was out of reach, Guelph's Ryan Thompson did what could be compared to as a "Bertuzzi" on Derek Roy (of course without the same results). Bottom line is that Thompson dropped the gloves, chased Roy down, jumped him from behind, and pummelled him for no apparent reason. Thompson later said that Roy accepted a challenge to fight (yeah sure he did buddy. Ranger non-fighting star player vs a 4th line plugger at the end of a nothing game.)

Roy sustained a minor eye injury and missed the last game or two of the regular season. For his trouble, Thompson was suspended 3 games. These days, in Branch's OHL, that suspension would be double digits for sure!!

Fast forward to game three of the 1st round matchup between Kit/Gue. After Kitchener pretty much owned the Storm down the stretch in the regular season, many in Rangerland, and likely the team as well, were talking upset of the Memorial Cup hosts. However, the Storm had other plans.

Game three was Ryan Thompson's 1st game back after suspension. All was quiet during the 1st half of the game. But, Guelph was starting to blow out the rangers and by the middle of the 2nd period or so, the game was pretty much over. It was all Guelph Storm.

Once the game was out of hand, and the series now with the Rangers about to go down 3-0 in games, the Rangers directed their attention to getting revenge on Thompson for the Roy incident - and any other Guelph storm player that got in the way as well. I can't remember how many times Thompson had to drop the gloves but I do know that TJ Eason pummelled him. Later, on Thompson's 1st shift out of the box for the Eason fight, Adam Keefe jumped him and pummelled him all the way to the Guelph bench where Keefe found himself on the Storm bench. Nick Policelli may have even took a round out of him too. I can't remember but I thought Thompson fought 3 times.

Everytime Thompson served a penalty, coach Jackson kept sending him out on the ice and like a red sheet in front of a Bull, the Rangers reacted. Thompson wasn't the only victim. Just about every shift Amodeo took in the 2nd half of the game, he was intent on drilling Guelph players with the hardest hits he could (yes, the kind of which has one thinking of Liambas on Fanelli). On of these hits left a big Guelph d-man visibly dazed and I can't say if he returned to the game or not. Amodeo was not penalized on the play. I'm pretty sure the ref was right there.

Late in the game, with the Ranger penalty box full and the Rangers down two men for the rest of the game, DeBoer put Amodeo out to be the only forward to kill the 5 on 3. You had to know something was going to happen. The puck was shot into the corner in the Guelph zone. The Guelph d-man turned to go get it and, as was legal in those days, another Guelph player held-up Amodeo to slow him down and effectively veered Amodeo away from the d-man. But, in veering him away from the d-man, he sent him towards the net. Amodeo, with lots of time to change his mind, mind you, obviously decided, "OK, I'll hit the goalie then", and barrelled full speed into Andrew Penner slamming him and the net into the backboards. Penner wasn't injured on the play.

During this game, many of the Guelph players were exacting their own amount of dirt as well with the most major incident being a Kevin Dallman spear into the gut of Derek Roy. Can't remember if he was penalized or not.

The outcome of this game was 15 games for Adam Keefe for going after Thompson into the Storm bench. Amodeo got 20 games for running Penner. He got an additional 5 games for knocking the Guelph d-man silly earlier in the game on what was deemed a clean hit mentioned above by the ref at the time.

Dallman receved nothing for the spear.

Don't try and find any video of this anywhere cause earlier that day, with the building not close to a sellout, the Storm management decided not to televise the game in an effort to get more Ranger fans to come to the game.

I used to have the OHL.com game summary printed off but lord knows where that is now. You wouldn't believe how long it was. I wonder, is there a way to dig that up out of the OHL.com archives?

Hicks lambasted the Ranger players and coaching staff for what happened in the game while refusing to acknowledge the fact that the Guelph players were very dirty as well. This article enraged many Ranger fans - especially the ones who were at the game and saw how it all really went down.

I believe this may have been the first rumblings from the anti-Hicks faction as to him being a Guelph fan covering the Rangers.

DeBoer / Spott has had no use for Hicks ever since.

Old
08-11-2011, 07:14 PM
EvenSteven

I can't see Laughton or Biggs for Morrison. Spott would have to throw in a lot more to get either deal done.

Old
08-11-2011, 09:28 PM
moko00

What were the conditions on Melchiori being dealt to Kitchener?

moko00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2011, 12:52 AM
EvenSteven

Quote:
Originally Posted by moko00 View Post
What were the conditions on Melchiori being dealt to Kitchener?
I can't remember how it all actually went down, but I think it wound up being a 5th rounder for the rights to Melchiori. Someone may want to correct me on that though because I'm not 100%.