HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Rangers 1st Line LW

View Poll Results: 1st line LW?
Brandon Dubinsky 40 37.04%
Wojtek Wolski 48 44.44%
Mats Zuccarello 0 0%
Brian Boyle 3 2.78%
Derek Stepan 3 2.78%
Mike Rupp 3 2.78%
Carl Hagelin 0 0%
Sean Avery 11 10.19%
Brandon Prust 0 0%
Voters: 108. You may not vote on this poll

Old
08-11-2011, 11:31 AM
ohbaby

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by HagelinForPresident View Post
How about this. I may be the only one, but I don't think I am, that thinks Anisimov has some hidden chemistry with Gaborik. Most people want D-Step to stay at Center, as do I. Maybe we can move Arty to LW and try this.

Anisimov-Richards-Gaborik
Dubinsky-Stepan-Callahan
Wolski-Rupp/Boyle-Fedotenko/Zuccarello
Fedotenko/Zuccarello (if Zucc, switch him to RW and put Prust at LW)-Rupp/Boyle-Prust

Just my 2 cents. I think it would work very nicely. Also, if we want Stepan to develop into the best he can be, look no further, have him play with Duby and Cally, two guys who know what it's all about. I'd rather Stepan play and develop between Duby and Cally than play and develop between Wolski and Zuccarello
We can all speculate whats gonna be. But what worked generally makes the most sense.

Both Dubi and Cally credit AA for the success their line had last season.

Go with what works.

ohbaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2011, 11:37 AM
94now

Mike Rupp. That is why we signed him. Wolski cannot fight. Without protection Richards will be another Lindros.

94now is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2011, 11:38 AM
Clowes Line
Cally's Chicken Parm

alright let's get this over with, we all know who should be up there, let's stop the arguing. The clear cut choice for top line LW is Brendan Bell.

Clowes Line is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2011, 11:43 AM
mike14

I'd slot Dubi on the first line and WW on the 2nd...

mike14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2011, 11:44 AM
xxxZENxxx

Let's fast forward to November 15th (let's say). I want everyone here to remember that Zen told you that Derek Stepan will be the top-line LW.

BTW- how hasn't he gotten any votes???

xxxZENxxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2011, 11:47 AM
Clowes Line
Cally's Chicken Parm

Quote:
Originally Posted by xxxZENxxx View Post
Let's fast forward to November 15th (let's say). I want everyone here to remember that Zen told you that Derek Stepan will be the top-line LW.

BTW- how hasn't he gotten any votes???
Because most of us want to see him continue to progress as a Center. After lacking a #1 center for SO LONG, it's so nice and refreshing to have Stepan come in and put up 40+ points as a rookie center. Let him progress as a center so he can take over when Richards is out of gas. Arty and Step are our only hopes right now for future top-6 centers.

Old
08-11-2011, 11:51 AM
Vitto79

I am 50/50 on this. Part of me says has to be Dubi since he is the best LW on the team but then he would be off the Packline. Wolski has been working hard in the offseason and needs to be a top 6 to be successfull

in the end I am voting for the best player Dubinsky as 1st line LW

Vitto79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2011, 11:51 AM
ohbaby

Quote:
Originally Posted by 94now View Post
Mike Rupp. That is why we signed him. Wolski cannot fight. Without protection Richards will be another Lindros.
Good point! Didn't even think about him protecting our 2 top players. I think of Rupp more of an agitator than a fighter like Avery,... that can forecheck and create havoc in the crease. He has got some skill in those areas. I'm surprised more Rangers fans don't think more highly of him. He always played well against us. You always noticed him on the ice. Always someone getting in his face. Always making something happen for his team. I think he would fit well with Gabby and Richards. Same goes for Avery for the same reasons.

Old
08-11-2011, 11:56 AM
Vitto79

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohbaby View Post
Good point! Didn't even think about him protecting our 2 top players. I think of Rupp more of an agitator than a fighter like Avery,... that can forecheck and create havoc in the crease. He has got some skill in those areas. I'm surprised more Rangers fans don't think more highly of him. He always played well against us. You always noticed him on the ice. Always someone getting in his face. Always making something happen for his team. I think he would fit well with Gabby and Richards. Same goes for Avery for the same reasons.
Richards will be good with whoever but if you are basing it on his last few yrs Dubinsky is more of a grinder like Neal and Gaborik a sniper like Erickson

Vitto79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2011, 12:01 PM
JaeTM

Something interesting I just thought of and totally hypothetical seeing as he is in the KHL now

Obviously no one here was impressed with Frolov's job here as a Ranger and all his wraparounds

However, if you had the chance to choose between Wolski and Frolov for our top LW spot for the upcoming season, who would you choose? Given the talent of our first line this year I don't think Frolov would suffer as greatly as he did last year.

JaeTM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2011, 12:05 PM
Clowes Line
Cally's Chicken Parm

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaeTM View Post
Something interesting I just thought of and totally hypothetical seeing as he is in the KHL now

Obviously no one here was impressed with Frolov's job here as a Ranger and all his wraparounds

However, if you had the chance to choose between Wolski and Frolov for our top LW spot for the upcoming season, who would you choose? Given the talent of our first line this year I don't think Frolov would suffer as greatly as he did last year.
Wolski. He is 25, has more talent than Frolov, and Frolov had a serious knee injury.

Old
08-11-2011, 12:06 PM
ohbaby

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vitto79 View Post
Richards will be good with whoever but if you are basing it on his last few yrs Dubinsky is more of a grinder like Neal and Gaborik a sniper like Erickson
Forget Dubi. Why does everyone want to break up the Pack line? Torts is not gonna break up a successful line to fix another. Dubi is not in the running for that spot.

Old
08-11-2011, 12:07 PM
Propane Nightmares
Spirit Shine

Quote:

Frolov without a doubt, he did actually put the effort in last year but nothing went right for him and he just couldn't find the net

Propane Nightmares is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2011, 12:19 PM
MacTruck
In Gordie We Trust

Quote:

Wolski is younger and more skilled but Frolov works harder.

I'd probably go with Fro. If he could just score last season, he'd have been perfect.

He did everything but score last year.

MacTruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2011, 12:22 PM
Bardof425*

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR Boyler87 View Post
I think Torts will rotate both Rupp and Fedotenko and possibly Boyle through that line throughout games. I wouldn't expect any (1) of those guys to play 22 minutes, but I think they will all see some time up there and all be around 10-13 minutes a night. I think that is the best way to go about it because Fedotenko and Boyle especially deserve more than 5-8 minutes of ice time a game.

I just want to point out that Wolski had a total of 12 goals last year. Boyle had 21 and is MUCH better defensively.

Just throwing it out there.
Last year will prove to be a career year offensively for Mr. Brian Boyle. Everything went in the first three months of the year and then he went back to normal; not scoring.

He can center our 4th line and that is fine. But please with the first line talk and him playing wing on other lines. He does not have the skill and his improved skating makes him a better checker, which is what he is. And I agree, against certain high powered teams, he deserves more than 5 - 8 minutes a game. He should be working on faceoffs and using his large frame more to his advantage to get pucks out of the zone.

Bardof425* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2011, 12:45 PM
bishop12
Ovyously

You guys really think AA will be on the second line over Steps?

bishop12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2011, 12:52 PM
MacTruck
In Gordie We Trust

Quote:
Originally Posted by mind_the_gap View Post
You guys really think AA will be on the second line over Steps?
Yes. AA is very strong defensively and has chemistry with Callahan. Stepan, Boyle, Zucc/Feds will be a very solid 3rd line that can get enough minutes for Stepan to succeed.

Post number 700! #winning.

MacTruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2011, 01:01 PM
SouthJerseyRanger

Write-in: Erik Christensen

yea... I said it.

SouthJerseyRanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2011, 01:14 PM
skroob**

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrhockey193195 View Post
I went with Wolski. I think he'll thrive playing with Gaborik and Richards.
I would think that at 3.9M and on the last year of his deal, he gets the first audition.

skroob** is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2011, 01:29 PM
n_a_c

I voted Dubinsky.

But I'd be thrilled if Wolski wins the spot from him. Because I am confident in what Dubinsky will bring regardless of what line he is on; but am not confident Wolski will perform well enough to keep up with Richards and Gaborik for most of the season.

n_a_c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2011, 01:34 PM
RGY
(Jagr68NYR94Leetch)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 94now View Post
We signed Mike Rupp to play 1st line LW? I must have missed that explanation by sather in the press releases and conferences.

If BR was in any danger of being seriously susceptible to another concussion the rangers wouldnt have spent as much money as they did on him.

Mike Rupp on the 1st line to protect BR? Get real.

RGY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2011, 01:46 PM
ohbaby

Rupp will get some ice time with those 2. You can bet on iit.

Old
08-11-2011, 01:48 PM
RGY
(Jagr68NYR94Leetch)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohbaby View Post
Rupp will get some ice time with those 2. You can bet on iit.
I'm not saying he wont get SOME, which still wont be much. But I'm not gona listen to people make false claims that rupp was signed to protect BR. If he gets ice time with those two its bc of his size and ability around the net.

RGY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2011, 01:55 PM
kovazub94

Quote:
Originally Posted by HagelinForPresident View Post
How about this. I may be the only one, but I don't think I am, that thinks Anisimov has some hidden chemistry with Gaborik. Most people want D-Step to stay at Center, as do I. Maybe we can move Arty to LW and try this.

Anisimov-Richards-Gaborik
Dubinsky-Stepan-Callahan
Wolski-Rupp/Boyle-Fedotenko/Zuccarello
Fedotenko/Zuccarello (if Zucc, switch him to RW and put Prust at LW)-Rupp/Boyle-Prust

Just my 2 cents. I think it would work very nicely. Also, if we want Stepan to develop into the best he can be, look no further, have him play with Duby and Cally, two guys who know what it's all about. I'd rather Stepan play and develop between Duby and Cally than play and develop between Wolski and Zuccarello

And if Hagelin makes the team, switch out Zuccarello for Hagelin. Because most likely, that's the spot he'll be taking, Zucc's.
I'm with majority here - put Wolski in this spot over Dubi because Pack line should stay intact - it worked last year and should be counted on to, at very least, repeat its last year's success. IMHO, if you don't like Wolski on the 1st line then your choices are either Fedotenko or Stepan and again, Stepan should continue to develop as a center after what he shown last year. So Fedotenko might work if you don't think Wolski fits.

kovazub94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2011, 02:17 PM
TrueBlue9

write-in: Feds

TrueBlue9 is offline   Reply With Quote