HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Vancouver-Carolina Talks

Closed Thread

Old
08-11-2011, 12:10 PM
Hottubber

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by y2kcanucks View Post
Actually I do.

1) Ward is way overrated for his one playoff run as a rookie (in which, had his name been Luongo he would have been ripped apart still).

2) Eric Staal is a great player, but for the Canucks at $8.25M cap hit he just doesn't fit.
The same could be said about Lou

Old
08-11-2011, 12:11 PM
Chicago Made Punk
You're Gonna Go Far

vCash: 446
Quote:
Actually I do.

1) Ward is way overrated for his one playoff run as a rookie (in which, had his name been Luongo he would have been ripped apart still).

2) Eric Staal is a great player, but for the Canucks at $8.25M cap hit he just doesn't fit.
You said Staal has "way too high of a cap hit". Did you know that since the lockout, no center has scored more goals than he has? He's tied with Crosby, and the only other center who hasn't been in the league long enough to be up there but probably would based on his pace is Stamkos, which still puts Staal in elite company. Of course his cap hit doesn't fit for the Canucks, but that wasn't your original statement.

I'm not even going to touch what you said about Ward, because nothing could be further from the truth. As I said, no clue.

Old
08-11-2011, 12:11 PM
Nuckles
༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ ( ͡ ᴥ͡)

vCash: 50
There is something to keep in mind, it's Eklund. A.K.A. There is a 99.9999999% chance it's made up or never going to happen.

Old
08-11-2011, 12:12 PM
impeach estaalo
RIPronrefo nevar4get

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby Lou View Post
Is this an extended joke or something?

LaRose is a fairly solid third liner similar to Hansen, but he's 29 years old and seems to have maxed out at 30 points. His +/- was also horrendous last year, even by Carolina standards.
I'm just quoting Stanley Cup Finalist coach Paul Maurice.

Old
08-11-2011, 12:13 PM
tarheelhockey
Global Moderator

Consider the source. I don't believe Eklund has ever broken news about the Canes.

Old
08-11-2011, 12:13 PM
Bobby Lou
We Surrender

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anton Dubinsky View Post
I'm just quoting Stanley Cup Finalist coach Paul Maurice.
Well that's great, our Stanley Cup Finalist coach loves Aaron Rome, maybe you'd like to trade Staal for him...I mean it's the opinion of a SCF coach and all.

Old
08-11-2011, 12:14 PM
y2kcanucks
Cult of Personality

Send a message via AIM to y2kcanucks
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anton the Great View Post
You said Staal has "way too high of a cap hit". Did you know that since the lockout, no center has scored more goals than he has? He's tied with Crosby, and the only other center who hasn't been in the league long enough to be up there but probably would based on his pace is Stamkos, which still puts Staal in elite company. Of course his cap hit doesn't fit for the Canucks, but that wasn't your original statement.

I'm not even going to touch what you said about Ward, because nothing could be further from the truth. As I said, no clue.
I probably should have continued typing and added on "for the Canucks" to the end of my statement.

08-11-2011, 12:15 PM
impeach estaalo
RIPronrefo nevar4get

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby Lou View Post
Well that's great, our Stanley Cup Finalist coach loves Aaron Rome, maybe you'd like to trade Staal for him...I mean it's the opinion of a SCF coach and all.
I would. Staal is overpaid. But, of course, the Canucks would not make that trade.

Old
08-11-2011, 12:15 PM
Homegrown Kings
ft. Philly & Lumbus

Quote:
The only star player on the Hurricanes I would want (aside from Skinner but there's no way they trade someone like Jeff Skinner a year after he won the Calder after being drafted with a top 10 pick) would be Eric Staal. Except he makes way too high of a cap hit.

No thank you.
Fixed, sorry.

Skinner would be a dream for Canucks fans playing with Kesler, but the price as you've said is too high. I'm with you in that I don't see too many options here that would benefit both teams.

They both are happy with their goaltending, Vancouver shouldn't get rid of any blueliners, and the price on the forwards they'd be interested in probably makes any deals unrealistic.

Eklund got right with the Philly blockbuster and all summer long we're left picking apart the rest of his rumours.

Old
08-11-2011, 12:16 PM
tarheelhockey
Global Moderator

Quote:
I wouldn't. I would much rather have Luongo over Cam Ward.
I would rather you have Luongo too.

Old
08-11-2011, 12:17 PM
impeach estaalo
RIPronrefo nevar4get

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarheelhockey View Post

Old
08-11-2011, 12:18 PM
Bobby Lou
We Surrender

Quote:
I would. Staal is overpaid. But, of course, the Canucks would not make that trade.
For Rome? No probably not, the man does walk on water according to our organization.

Old
08-11-2011, 12:21 PM
Kamal007
God Level

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarheelhockey View Post

Old
08-11-2011, 12:24 PM
chopkins
Super Bowl Champs

A few people in this thread deserve a facepalm...

You could consider Ballard a borderline star player if you ignore last year. Same with Jokinen.

Old
08-11-2011, 12:25 PM
TehDoak
General Zad

Send a message via AIM to TehDoak
Quote:
Kesler for LaRose. Hurricanes get a decent second line center, Canucks get a star winger who could possibly score 35 points playing with the Sedins.
You forgot the sarcasm smiley.

Old
08-11-2011, 12:25 PM
Gobo
What's Your Issue?

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamal007 View Post

Cup > Gold.

Old
08-11-2011, 12:26 PM
arsmaster

Quote:
We get it.

Carolina won a cup.

Vancouver hasnt.

This reminds me of the movie '8mile' - to quote B-Rabbit - "tell these mother****ers something the dont know about me(us).

Its fun kicking a horse when they are down isnt it.

At this point Cam Ward and Roberto Luongo are pretty much a saw off, both are excellent goalies.

Roberto Luongo is an excellent goalie, without him in the finals the Canucks dont make it to game 7. 2 shutouts in the finals.

Maybe the team doesnt have 'big game players'...other than Kesler.

Old
08-11-2011, 12:26 PM
Scottrockztheworld*

Gotta love Canes fans posting pictures from 5 years ago to make a point about now. Not only that but you guys got to shoot against Jussi Markkanen, not the guy who had the best season a goalie has EVER had...

IMO Roloson doesn't get hurt, Canes don't win the cup.

Old
08-11-2011, 12:28 PM
TheRollingPuck
Free fallin'

Shoulda, woulda, coulda...

Old
08-11-2011, 12:29 PM
Chicago Made Punk
You're Gonna Go Far

Quote:
Originally Posted by TehDoak View Post
You forgot the sarcasm smiley.
Why do so many people seem to think LaRose can't score 35 points on a line with the Sedins?

Old
08-11-2011, 12:30 PM
Boom Boom Anton

Quote:
Actually I do.

I think it's fair to say both teams are happy with their goaltenders and wouldn't want to trade them.

Regarding Ward being "over-rated". I agree he was for the first couple of years after his cup win, but since then he's been viewed anywhere from a 5-15 rated goalie and that's how he's been performing. He's improved every year since he's been in the league and this year, his save % this year was .923 (vs. Lungo's .928) yet Ward played in 74 games (vs. 60 for Luongo) and faced 2375 shots (vs. Lungo's 1753).

Carolina's team defense was atrocious and they gave up more shots than any other team in the league (and watching them, they gave up a lot of quality scoring chances). Because of insufficient back-up, he had almost no rest and played almost every night including back-backs.

I didn't watch enough of Luongo to compare Ward's season with Lungo's. But to say he's "over-rated" tells me that you didn't watch him this season and are going off of preconceived notions and/or strictly stats. Ward is the main reason the Canes were even in the hunt for a playoff spot.

I would keep Ward over Luongo simply because I think the difference between him and Luongo is minor but Ward is 27 (and Luongo is 32) and I don't think Carolina will be competitive enough for another couple of years.

Old
08-11-2011, 12:30 PM
Wippersnapper

Chad Larose would be a fantastic addition to round out our top 6, but I don't think I'd move Kesler for him. Burrows I could probably part with.

Old
08-11-2011, 12:31 PM
Chicago Made Punk
You're Gonna Go Far

Quote:
Originally Posted by RubberSoul View Post
Gotta love Canes fans posting pictures from 5 years ago to make a point about now. Not only that but you guys got to shoot against Jussi Markkanen, not the guy who had the best season a goalie has EVER had...

That's funny because the Canes scored four times on Roloson in just over 40 minutes.

Old
08-11-2011, 12:31 PM
impeach estaalo
RIPronrefo nevar4get

Quote:
Originally Posted by arsmaster View Post
We get it.

Carolina won a cup.

Vancouver hasnt.

This reminds me of the movie '8mile' - to quote B-Rabbit - "tell these mother****ers something the dont know about me(us).

At this point Cam Ward and Roberto Luongo are pretty much a saw off, both are excellent goalies.

Roberto Luongo is an excellent goalie, without him in the finals the Canucks dont make it to game 7. 2 shutouts in the finals.

That's not Ward holding the Cup. It's the great Chad LaRose.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RubberSoul View Post

Roloson blew a 3-0 lead in Game 1 and the score was 4-4 when he got hurt. The Oilers scored a stunning two goals combined in the three games they lost with Markannen in net (which had nothing to do with Cam Ward, I presume).

Old
08-11-2011, 12:32 PM
Thepainter

Quote:
Originally Posted by arsmaster View Post
We get it.

Carolina won a cup.

Vancouver hasnt.

Yeah, without him the Canucks don't get absolutely ***** in 4 of the 7 games, and without him they are probably given a nice chance to actually win.

Closed Thread