HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

NHL RDO Camp Schedule 2011

Old
08-11-2011, 01:18 PM
hckyplayer8
He's Gone!

vCash: 500
NHL RDO Camp Schedule 2011

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=585925

Quote:
WHAT'S BEING TESTED?
Listed below are the session agendas for the 2011 NHL Research, Development and Orientation Camp to be held next week in at the Mastercard Centre for Excellence in Etobicoke, Ont.

Wednesday, Aug. 17
(all times ET, subject to change)

10:00 a.m – Noon
• No-touch icing
• No line change for team committing an offside
• Faceoff variations (penalty line for center committing an infraction; all faceoffs in circles; same linesman drops puck for all faceoffs)
• No icing permitted while shorthanded
• Verification line (additional line behind the goal line)
• Overtime variation (four minutes of 4-on-4 followed by three minutes of 3-on-3)
• Shootout variation (5-man shootout precedes sudden-death format)
• Shallow-back nets

2:30 p.m to 4:30 p.m.
• After offside, faceoff goes back to offending team's end
• Faceoff variations (both centers must come set on whistle; all faceoffs in circles; same linesman drops puck for all face-offs)
• Delayed penalty variation (offending team must exit zone in possession of puck to stop play)
• Changes only permitted on-the-fly (except after goals and upon manpower changes)
• Strict enforcement of goaltenders covering puck outside crease (Rule 63.2)
• Remove trapezoid
• Verification line
• Allow hand passes in all zones
• Overtime variation (switch ends)
• Shootout variation (5-man shootout with repeat players if tied after 5 shooters)
• Thin-netting nets

Thursday, Aug. 18

9:30 a.m. to 11:30 a.m.
• 'Hybrid' icing
• Offside variation (offending team can't change and faceoff in its end zone)
• Faceoff variations (player encroaching can't replace thrown-out center, all faceoffs in circles; same linesman drops puck for all faceoffs)
• All penalties to be served in their entirety
• Strict enforcement of goaltenders covering puck outside crease (rule 63.2)
• Bear-hug rule ?
• Verification line
• Overtime variation (switch ends for four minutes of 4-on-4, followed by three minutes of 3-on-3)
• Shootout variation (3-man shoot out with repeat shooters if tied after 3 shooters)
• Shallow-back nets

1:30pm to 3:30pm
• All-Star Skills competition (fastest skater, breakaway challenge, accuracy shooting, skills relay challenge, hardest shot, elimination shootout)

Other technology/modifications to be tested during various sessions:

• On-ice officials communication -- ref-to-ref wireless
• Overhead camera -- to assist Hockey Operations reviews of various initiatives (verification line/goal netting/in-net camera)
• In-net camera -- mounted camera at one end with one net with camera view focused on the goal line to help verify goals
• Robotic camera -- to test camera angles for coverage closer to ice
• Video replay application review
• Curved glass -- protection options at players bench areas

The bold are terrible ideas.

hckyplayer8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2011, 01:23 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Wing or Retire!

vCash: 156
No touch icing is also a terrible idea, at least at the professional level.

edit: no line changes after an off-side is pretty pointless as well.

08-11-2011, 01:35 PM
hckyplayer8
He's Gone!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beef Invictus;35848237[B
]No touch icing is also a terrible idea, at least at the professional level.[/B]

edit: no line changes after an off-side is pretty pointless as well.
Think that is purely a safety aspect. I can understand if its in the name of safety. Lots of scary collisions with the boards. Everybody hustling down to cancel, only to catch an edge and go in head first.

Old
08-11-2011, 01:41 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Wing or Retire!

Yeah, but it's part of the excitement of the game. I can understand why the NCAA did it. They're protecting student players who arent making from millions a year to do it.

How often do people actually get injured while chasing down a puck?

edit: I'm fine with it if it's just for the camp, and not being seriously considered as a rule change.

Beef Invictus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2011, 01:41 PM
RevUpThoseGolfCarts
Experts at losing

5-man shootout might be cool

RevUpThoseGolfCarts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2011, 01:44 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Wing or Retire!

Hand passes in all zones would get pretty wild. I'm also a fan of the verification line.

Old
08-11-2011, 01:48 PM
hckyplayer8
He's Gone!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beef Invictus View Post
Yeah, but it's part of the excitement of the game. I can understand why the NCAA did it. They're protecting student players who arent making from millions a year to do it.

How often do people actually get injured while chasing down a puck?

edit: I'm fine with it if it's just for the camp, and not being seriously considered as a rule change.
Admittedly less since they took the player vs player contact away.

Quote:
Hand passes in all zones would get pretty wild. I'm also a fan of the verification line.
Terrible idea. They have sticks to pass for a reason.

Old
08-11-2011, 01:56 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Wing or Retire!

Using that logic you might as well do away with hand passing in the defensive zone.

My main grief with hand passing in the offensive zone is that I can see it leading to a sharp increase in players batting the puck into the net. That would get annoying. Other than that, it has potential to increase offensive production.

Old
08-11-2011, 02:04 PM
hckyplayer8
He's Gone!

Quote:
Using that logic you might as well do away with hand passing in the defensive zone.

My main grief with hand passing in the offensive zone is that I can see it leading to a sharp increase in players batting the puck into the net. That would get annoying. Other than that, it has potential to increase offensive production.
They have already done tons to artificially increase offense.

I have no idea what makes the NHL....well Buttman...think the fans wants to see ultra highs scoring games.

If I wanted to watch a sport that it was easy to score in, I would watch basketball.

Old
08-11-2011, 02:11 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Wing or Retire!

I don't think offensive zone hand passes would necessarily increase goals by a huge amount. I don't think you'd even see them a whole lot. It'd just be a means of keeping possession in the offensive zone, which would end up causing a few more goals over the course of a season. It could be interesting.

Of course you'd get players who will slide or bat the puck into the net, and that annoyance likely would overshadow anything positive it'd accomplish.

Old
08-11-2011, 02:45 PM
Vikke
FHM 13 researcher

That verification line would be good if the pucks were balls.

Vikke is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2011, 02:46 PM
RJ8812
Gunner Stahl #9

vCash: 769
Most of those are brutal

RJ8812 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2011, 03:04 PM
orangecrush8

I have thought of the icing not being permitted while shorthanded and I would be all for it.

It's counter productive letting a team violate a rule when it is their own fault that they are shorthanded.

orangecrush8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2011, 03:07 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Wing or Retire!

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangecrush8 View Post
I have thought of the icing not being permitted while shorthanded and I would be all for it.

It's counter productive letting a team violate a rule when it is their own fault that they are shorthanded.
If they enact that rule, they'd certainly need to rule out the possibility of a team serving an entire penalty.

Old
08-11-2011, 03:25 PM
Spongolium*
Potato Magician

When are they going to bring in when a player clears puck over the glass, no line changes, removal of the stupid penalty"

Spongolium* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2011, 03:27 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Wing or Retire!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spongolium View Post
When are they going to bring in when a player clears puck over the glass, no line changes, removal of the stupid penalty"
I'd at least like for it to be reviewable.

Old
08-11-2011, 05:05 PM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

vCash: 155
Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
No touch icing is a terrible idea. I get the safety factor, but come one, these guys are pros playing at an elite level. Yes guys can injured in a race for the puck, but this is a physical fast paced sport where injuries can happen at all times. Injuries suck, but if they happen, they happen. Adding no-touch icing is like when people were complaining this season about running into catchers when Posey got hurt. Yeah, it sucks, but it is part of the game.

DrinkFightFlyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2011, 10:26 PM
ShawnTHW
@ShawnTHW

I'm one of the few who wouldnt mind no touch icing. And a 5 man shootout is a better idea than a 3 man shootout, but still the shootout sucks and should be removed from the game. I say go back to ties. No team should ever get points for losing.

ShawnTHW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2011, 10:38 PM
Clown Baby

I've been advocating for thin-netting nets for years.

Clown Baby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2011, 10:47 PM
FlyersFan61290

since the no contact icing rule i don't really see safety being much of an issue and if it still is then they should just get rid of the stupid trapezoid.

what they really need to do is go with 3 points a game, ever game method like the Olympics. these loser points (and subsequent 3 point games) are completely idiotic. over the span of a season you could have a team finish with more points but less wins and that is just moronic.

FlyersFan61290 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2011, 06:36 AM
JLHockeyKnight
IMA Real American

I'm fine with removal of the trapezoid and making the shootout a 5 man shootout. If they're worried about time with the 2 extra shooters, make the OT a 4 minute OT of 4 on 4.

JLHockeyKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-19-2011, 02:48 PM
MiamiScreamingEagles
Global Moderator
A Fistful of Dollars

vCash: 1412
http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/2011/...lumn_nhl_nets/

Quote:
So the NHL is contemplating using their newfangled nets in pre-season games. Hey, anything that makes the game better should be welcomed with open arms.

The new nets are shallower, have a clear plastic strip along the top and built-in high definition cameras to make goal reviews easier, and has thinner mesh.

Cool.

The problem is the changes the NHL are proposing do not address the real problem facing the league: a lack of goal-scoring. Sportsnet.ca's Michael Grange addresses the issue in his latest column, suggesting goaltenders, with few exceptions, are bigger than ever. The league has addressed the size of goalie equipment the past few years, but it seems skaters now see less net than ever before.

The answer to more goals is quite simple and not exactly new: Make the damn nets bigger.

MiamiScreamingEagles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-19-2011, 02:55 PM
Jaydepps

Send a message via AIM to Jaydepps
Personally I hate most of these rule changes. The worst in my opinion is penalties being served in their entirety.

Jaydepps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-19-2011, 02:58 PM
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline

I don't like bigger nets, and I don't like screwing with offsides.

Making icing illegal when man-down OR making teams serve the full penalty regardless of scoring sounds alright. I'd be okay with those ideas.

CS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-19-2011, 03:35 PM
FlyersCup08

I'd be alright with many of these ideas.

-Hybrid icing: (note: no touch icing sucks) Keeps the element of the race to cancel icing, but eliminates the danger of the boards. There is no advantage to touch-up over the hybrid, and this needs to get in the game right away. Many leagues already use it and it works.

-Trapezoid: Thought to keep the flow of play moving, but turns out to do the opposite. By not letting goalies in the corners, the transition game that keeps hockey so exciting is greatly affected. Remove the trapezoid and you will have a faster game.

-Shallow nets: Looks like this is gonna happen; it creates more room behind the net and thus more scoring.

-Bear hug: I love this rule, but I'm not sure how it will be differentiated from holding. Is it only allowed if you fully wrap both arms around? Not sure how it'll look, but it seems like something that wouldn't hurt the game and would increase the safety of players.

-Full 2 minutes served: Loved this, you get a penalty, serve the full 2. The NHL had this for years until the 1950s when they allowed a player to come out early if a goal was scored. A similar idea I'd be in favor of is if a goal is scored in the first minute of the PP, you get another minute of PP time. I.e. you score and there's till 1:27 left on the man-advantage, there would now be 1:00 on the PP.

-4on4, 3on3, five man shootout. That's how overtime should be, 3on3 is awesome.

-Get rid of the loser point. You either win or lose, like in the MLB.

-Not opposed to the verification line, just don't see it helping that much, considering many questionable calls are when the puck is on its side.

-I wish they would go to 90'-92' width like Finland. Not so wide that it eliminates the physical play, but gives enough width for more skill to show. However, you lose seats by doing this, so it's doubtful it'll happen.

-One that I think will never happen and people will question my IQ on, but I think would be interesting, is the 3rd period does not end until the puck clears the offensive zone or there is a stoppage of play. I.e. 5 seconds left in the game, down by one, team has pressure, instead of time expiring, they play until the defending team gets a stoppage or they clear the zone. Would make the end of games much more interesting.

FlyersCup08 is offline   Reply With Quote