HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Unofficial Offseason Trade Rumor/Proposal Thread | Part VII

Closed Thread

Old
08-11-2011, 12:21 PM
Oilbleeder
Lead us to glory.

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by joestevens29 View Post
I see Andrei Kostitsyn has issues with Martin. Wonder if NSH makes a play for him at some point?
I would if I was NSH.

IIRC AK plays the style of game that NSH likes from their players (not scared to go into corners, two-way play at a decent level and offensive output).

If him and his brother can regain some sort of chemistry, it could be a very good pick up for NSH, and one which would come at a pretty decently price.

08-11-2011, 12:23 PM
joestevens29

vCash: 427
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oilbleeder View Post
I would if I was NSH.

IIRC AK plays the style of game that NSH likes from their players (not scared to go into corners, two-way play at a decent level and offensive output).

If him and his brother can regain some sort of chemistry, it could be a very good pick up for NSH, and one which would come at a pretty decently price.
MTL fan already posted **** and a prospect/2nd for Erat/Hornqvist.

Habs fans will be in for a big suprise if that's what they are looking for.

Old
08-11-2011, 12:55 PM
Lottery Oilers*
Nuge is Cobra

Quote:
Originally Posted by joestevens29 View Post
I see Andrei Kostitsyn has issues with Martin. Wonder if NSH makes a play for him at some point?
I doubt it. Sergei is better without Andrei around.

Old
08-11-2011, 06:43 PM
awesomo
HARD!

See it isnt all that bad. MTL gets some offseason talk too.

But mostly from Russia and Belarus

When i say mostly, i mean 2 players lol

Old
08-11-2011, 06:49 PM
jumptheshark
the burn out

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gobo View Post
Gagner/RNH comparisons are bad for a few reasons:

RNH is a better:

- Playmaker
- Skater
- Better hands
- Stronger on draws
- Better defense

If you're short and weak, you have to be fast unless your Jordan Eberle.
untill RNH make the NHL this is all assumption

Heaven wont take me and hell is afraid I'd take 0ver
Old
08-11-2011, 07:00 PM
T-Funk

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheStig View Post
Except the better skater part

Old
08-11-2011, 07:43 PM
oilers92

vCash: 788
Quote:
Originally Posted by T-Funk View Post
Except the better skater part
even that can change with the difference in the way the game is played less ice space means a higher need for a better 1st stride to make yourself look quicker

Old
08-11-2011, 08:50 PM
Bryanbryoil
Paying Off A Bet

Quote:
Better shot, better passer, better stickhandler, better vision, IMO none of these are debatable. You threw a shot at a poster in another thread because they offhandedly compared Schremp and Gagner saying they were a similar type of a player or at least had similar weaknesses, you saying that these two are close just because RNH hasn't played an NHL game is no better than the comment that you scoffed at. RNH will be the better player and it really isn't even close. It's close like Kane Vs. Gagner is close.

08-11-2011, 09:02 PM
Futon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryanbryoil View Post
Better shot, better passer, better stickhandler, better vision, IMO none of these are debatable. You threw a shot at a poster in another thread because they offhandedly compared Schremp and Gagner saying they were a similar type of a player or at least had similar weaknesses, you saying that these two are close just because RNH hasn't played an NHL game is no better than the comment that you scoffed at. RNH will be the better player and it really isn't even close. It's close like Kane Vs. Gagner is close.
Yeah some people don't seem to get that RNH is an elite talent.

Old
08-11-2011, 09:08 PM
Bryanbryoil
Paying Off A Bet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tetriser View Post
No doubt, they are either selling the kid short, flattering the hell out of Gagner, or both.

Old
08-11-2011, 09:15 PM
jumptheshark
the burn out

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tetriser View Post
In his draft year Alex Daigle was called a generational talent

Old
08-11-2011, 09:19 PM
Paralyzer
Tier 13428 Oiler Fan

Quote:
I never heard RNH and "Generational Talent" in the same breath. So I dunno what you are getting at

Old
08-11-2011, 09:25 PM
I am the Liquor

Quote:
For those that have seen both players play, no it really isnt.

Old
08-11-2011, 09:27 PM
Bryanbryoil
Paying Off A Bet

Quote:
Maybe he was and he just didn't have the mental makeup to get there? I don't hear anyone saying that RNH thinks that he's the cats ass and that he doesn't need to work on anything, nor do I hear anyone saying that he's anything but a hard working kid from a blue collar family. Hard work + elite skill = special player.

Old
08-11-2011, 09:28 PM
jumptheshark
the burn out

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil Oilers View Post
I never heard RNH and "Generational Talent" in the same breath. So I dunno what you are getting at

I was using the comparison for those who are calling RNH elite before he plays a game in the NHL--daigle was called a generational talent by some before he played a game in the nhl

Old
08-11-2011, 09:30 PM
harpoon
FOB

Quote:
Originally Posted by theoil View Post
Gagner is physically weak and does get bodied off the puck. This is true whether you like him or not.
Thanks for quoting the half of the sentence that makes it look like I think Gagner is some kind of tough guy . Kid is weak , I've never said otherwise . However it seems apparent that RNH is weaker . I never saw Gagner have trouble against junior players (and I watched him quite a bit more than I've seen RNH) , but I did see RNH getting bodied off the puck with ease through most of the red/white game . Not fair to judge him on that one game , but for me it gave legitimacy to some of the concerns I've heard about his physical frailty .
Quote:
There are guys in the league his size and smaller who win puck battles but Sam is not one of them
Yet . And what evidence do you have that RNH will be able to overcome that ?
Quote:
I call it 'David Oliver Syndrome'.
You would . Gagner is in no way a David Oliver comp .
Quote:
You don't get to be the #1 pick without reason and the chances he is less of a player than Gagner are very, very small. Almost non-existent really.
There you go again trying to make it look like I said something I didn't. My point was that Gagner is no weaker than RNH and we at least know what he can do in the NHL . Therefore it would be foolish to move him out because there are some guys down the pipeline who win more draws against junior centers while being every bit as physically weak as Gagner .
Quote:
If you think Tambellini's job is in danger you have been reading too much Lowetide.
I think you know I don't read any Lowetide . But I do know that when you finish last overall two years running your job should be in jeopardy .
Quote:
There isn't the slightest chance that his job is in danger as the major architect of the rebuild.
Major architect . lmao . Dude has done nothing but take walks up to the podium to read out the names his betters have written down on a slip of paper . In no way does Tamby get credit for drafting players . Like I said earlier he's got Staios and Jones as his big successes over three years . And a working farm system . What an architect .
Quote:
He is clearly implementing a plan approved by the owner and Lowe and to date it is firmly on track.
You are right the plan has been approved by ownership . I would go so far as to say it was created by ownership .
Which makes Tamby not an architect but rather a mouthpiece .... and a pretty damn poor one at that .

Old
08-11-2011, 09:31 PM
jumptheshark
the burn out

Quote:
Maybe he was and he just didn't have the mental makeup to get there? I don't hear anyone saying that RNH thinks that he's the cats ass and that he doesn't need to work on anything, nor do I hear anyone saying that he's anything but a hard working kid from a blue collar family. Hard work + elite skill = special player.

best case scenerio for RNH he can turn into Doug Gilmour--but Gilmour turned into Gilmour after a few years

I believe some people think RNH will walk in the nhl and be the cats neow from the word go

Old
08-11-2011, 09:39 PM
Eytinge

Quote:
best case scenerio for RNH he can turn into Doug Gilmour--but Gilmour turned into Gilmour after a few years

I believe some people think RNH will walk in the nhl and be the cats neow from the word go
I think you're just mad they didn't draft your golden boy Larsson.

Old
08-11-2011, 09:42 PM
Bryanbryoil
Paying Off A Bet

Quote:

It's still to be determined how much of an impact he'll have when he makes it. Did you expect Kane or Skinner to have the immediate impacts that they did? How about we wait and see before jumping to conclusions about how quickly/slowly he'll adjust to the NHL game. That said I see no reason to not consider most if not all of RNH's skills to be better than Gagner's, Gagner isn't exactly a special player.

Old
08-11-2011, 09:48 PM
harpoon
FOB

Quote:
It's still to be determined how much of an impact he'll have when he makes it.
Yet you and others have him pencilled in as our "best offensive option at center" before he's ever even put the sweater on .
I think that's what jts is getting at .

Quote:
That said I see no reason to not consider most if not all of RNH's skills to be better than Gagner's, Gagner isn't exactly a special player.
Skills are great but as Gagner has found out they don't do you much good if you're constantly picking yourself up in the corners .
Why do you think RNH will be able to overcome his physical weakness while Gagner cannot ?

Old
08-11-2011, 09:56 PM
Bryanbryoil
Paying Off A Bet

Quote:
Originally Posted by harpoon View Post
Yet you and others have him pencilled in as our "best offensive option at center" before he's ever even put the sweater on .
I think that's what jts is getting at .

Skills are great but as Gagner has found out they don't do you much good if you're constantly picking yourself up in the corners .
Why do you think RNH will be able to overcome his physical weakness while Gagner cannot ?
He easily has the most skill and the highest upside of any center that we have, surely you can see that?

His impact this year is TBD. I am all for seeing what he can do in camp and in the preseason and maybe some regular season games before making that decision. If he is too weak and looks over matched then send him down. If not then IMO it won't take long before he proves to be our best offensive threat down the middle.

As for why I expect RNH to do better than Gagner strength wise? Better balance, the kid is wiry strong, and he tested a hell of a lot better at the combine than Gganer did. If the Oilers staff had any concerns about him getting stronger there is no way in hell they would've burned the 1st overall pick on him. Now your turn, what makes you think that he won't be stronger than Gagner?

Old
08-11-2011, 10:02 PM
Eytinge

Quote:
and he tested a hell of a lot better at the combine than Gganer did.
I've seen you reference this a couple times now, do you have a link or some kind of proof that shows how Gagner tested at the combine?

Old
08-11-2011, 10:07 PM
harpoon
FOB

Quote:
As for why I expect RNH to do better than Gagner strength wise? Better balance, the kid is wiry strong, and he tested a hell of a lot better at the combine than Gganer did. If the Oilers staff had any concerns about him getting stronger there is no way in hell they would've burned the 1st overall pick on him. Now your turn, what makes you think that he won't be stronger than Gagner?
OK , you have reasons . Thank you for sharing those with me . I didn't watch the combines much but I did hear that RNH could only do twenty six pushups . That's less than half of what I can do .... and screams weak to me .
I do have some faith in the Oiler scouts and agree that they must be convinced RNH will develop more/faster physically than Gagner has . Were it not so they would be repeating a mistake , right ?

I already said why I think he will not initially be any stronger than Gagner . Gagner didn't have trouble with physical weakness in junior - even at WJC . RNH was getting bodied off the puck at will in the red/white game . You saw that right ?

Old
08-11-2011, 10:17 PM
I am the Liquor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eytinge View Post
I've seen you reference this a couple times now, do you have a link or some kind of proof that shows how Gagner tested at the combine?
Hopkins did eight reps on the bench press.

Pretty sure Gagner did either one or zero. I think it was zero tbh.

If you go to youtube and search you will find a video of Gagner and another guy going through the different stations. It was a promo for some training academy. It showed the other guy do some reps on the bench but the Gagner footage was conspicuously absent.

Hopkins is stronger than Gagner, both in strength and on his skates. Yet he is four years younger.

Old
08-11-2011, 10:31 PM
BlowbyBlow

The one thing if you ever see RNH live is he has a way bigger frame than Gagner. A frame to be filled out. Gagner has a smaller frame to start off. Its all potential for RNH to put the effort in the gym, but he gets sold short on his potential in size. If you are the same height, weight at 18, you are a physical anomaly cause everyone puts some sort of size (if in physical sports) by the time there in there 20's

Closed Thread