HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Notices

Prospect Thread and Index 2011-2012 Edition

Closed Thread

Old
08-09-2011, 10:00 PM
ct2111

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnthonySaxe View Post
Wow, looks like Finland got smoked. Sweden won 7-1, but Armia had a secondary assist on the lone Finland powerplay goal.
Article about him: http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=585951

Old
08-10-2011, 06:05 PM
jfb392

Another prospect on Twitter: @tropp25.

He hasn't used it since creating it last October, but it was mentioned by a former teammate of his from Sioux Falls, David Solway.
Maybe he'll start using it because he was mentioned..

Edit: It's @ctropp25.

Last edited by jfb392: 08-11-2011 at 09:02 PM.
Old
08-11-2011, 07:34 AM
Devo-2

Buffalo's future lunch bucket crew...

http://yfrog.com/h8fs6ykj

Old
08-11-2011, 07:58 AM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Devo-2 View Post
Buffalo's future lunch bucket crew...

http://yfrog.com/h8fs6ykj
"Okay guys, we need fifty reps on the steel re-bar bundles... 50 more on the tile squats... and then 50 on the sheet rock overhead presses. Then repeat."

08-11-2011, 11:43 AM
jfb392

Catenacci on the move in the OHL?

Quote:
"There is a lot in the works, but nothing concrete. When the (Sault Ste. Marie centre Daniel) Catennaci kid is available, there's a lot of people talking. Hypothetically, if Bateman is available, I'm getting lots of calls."
http://www.stcatharinesstandard.ca/A...aspx?e=3253029

Edit: Hmm..

Quote:
sunayas Hey @kyledubas IceDogs GM Marty Williamson says you're shopping Dan Catenacci... who is he shopping? http://t.co/Ut2XrTr
http://twitter.com/sunayas/status/101715093741510656

Quote:
kyledubas @sunayas "shopping" is not accurate.
http://twitter.com/kyledubas/status/101720672400719873

Quote:
sunayas @kyledubas sorry "available"
http://twitter.com/sunayas/status/101721174467293184

Quote:
kyledubas @sunayas at the appropriate time our team will present all accurate facts on this situation. Now is not the appropriate time.
http://twitter.com/kyledubas/status/101722300306571264

@sunayas is a writer for Yahoo and @kyledubas is the GM of the Greyhounds.
Sounds like all is not well between Catenacci and the Hounds and that he could definitely be moved.
I wonder if this has to do with why he was available in the third..

Anyone want to speculate where he might land?
I'll try to come up with some ideas.

Last edited by jfb392: 08-11-2011 at 02:31 PM.
Old
08-11-2011, 03:25 PM
jfb392

Armia with a goal today vs. Team USA with their final camp roster.
Game is still on-going and it's 1-1 with about a quarter of the 1st left.

Old
08-11-2011, 03:42 PM
jesui

Good period from Armia. The goal was a beaty, and he was dominating when he was on the ice. Made a second goal at the end of the period but it was not count cus the net moved before..

Old
08-11-2011, 05:12 PM
jfb392

Looks like the US is going to take it 4-1.

Armia also had a roughing penalty in the second period.

Old
08-11-2011, 08:01 PM
jfb392

Quote:
JeffMarek OHL News: SS Marie forward + Sabres 3rd round pick Daniel Catenacci has requested a trade from the Greyhounds.
http://twitter.com/JeffMarek/status/101808129221734400

Fail.

Old
08-11-2011, 08:09 PM
ct2111

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfb392 View Post
Hmmm, hope he gets to play on a better team especially with the knock on him trying to do too much on his own. On the other hand I think about how Shipley's trade request worked out for him...

Old
08-11-2011, 08:21 PM
jfb392

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgn View Post
Hmmm, hope he gets to play on a better team especially with the knock on him trying to do too much on his own. On the other hand I think about how Shipley's trade request worked out for him...
He was going to be fine on the Greyhounds this season, especially with Dubas in charge of the team and a whole new coaching staff.

The only reason I can think of right now for him requesting a trade is the Beukeboom trade, which may have angered him, as he (Beukeboom) was the captain of the team.
Catenacci wore an A, so he was probably close with him.

Still, I look at trade requests as a negative 99% of the time and usually karma feels the same way.

Old
08-11-2011, 08:39 PM
ct2111

Quote:
He was going to be fine on the Greyhounds this season, especially with Dubas in charge of the team and a whole new coaching staff.

The only reason I can think of right now for him requesting a trade is the Beukeboom trade, which may have angered him, as he (Beukeboom) was the captain of the team.

Still, I look at trade requests as a negative 99% of the time and usually karma feels the same way.
Any inside why they traded Beukeboom? I know about his concussion and his disappointing season (mainly from the Brewer trade), but looking up Schwindt he seems like a rather average CHL player who'll occupy an overager spot to add to that. As someone who doesn't follow the CHL all that much I don't get that trade from the Greyhounds POV.

Old
08-11-2011, 08:40 PM
New Sabres Captain
ForFriendshipDikembe

Quote:

Do NHL teams sometimes put pressure on a player in juniors to switch teams? Not saying Buffalo would have done that, but mostly just wondering.

Old
08-11-2011, 08:59 PM
jfb392

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgn View Post
Any inside why they traded Beukeboom? I know about his concussion and his disappointing season (mainly from the Brewer trade), but looking up Schwindt he seems like a rather average CHL player who'll occupy an overager spot to add to that. As someone who doesn't follow the CHL all that much I don't get that trade from the Greyhounds POV.
He just wasn't working out with the Hounds.
They got a few picks which will be useful, but maybe he requested a trade too and Dubas was handcuffed into taking the whatever he could find.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveDaSwords View Post
Do NHL teams sometimes put pressure on a player in juniors to switch teams? Not saying Buffalo would have done that, but mostly just wondering.
I guess they could, but I can't recall it happening recently.
It does happen a lot with committed NCAA players though because most NHL teams prefer the CHL.

I know you're not asking if Buffalo has done that, but he was rumored to be on the block in May, so I don't think that's the case here before anyone starts to get that idea in their head.

Last edited by jfb392: 08-11-2011 at 09:04 PM.
Old
08-11-2011, 10:52 PM
jfb392

Quote:
"We have not initiated any trade scenarios or situations with this player," the rookie GM said. "There's always a possibility (we would trade Catenacci), and the truth of the matter is, in this regard, is that this player has requested to be traded."

Dubas said he has yet to receive any serious offers for Catenacci and reiterated he won't trade the player unless he gets fair equity in return. He would not elaborate on why Catenacci wants out of the Sault, choosing instead to say that's something the Catenacci camp will have to divulge.
Quote:
Dubas, told of Catenacci's stance by Ferris during a July 19 meeting, said he's not aware of any "real reason" why the first-line centre, who racked up 71 points last season, is so determined to leave.
http://www.saultstar.com/ArticleDisplay.aspx?e=3254820

Fun stuff.

Old
08-11-2011, 11:53 PM
jBuds
pretty damn valuable

Quote:
Not fun at all. Shut your mouth and play. He better have a damn good reason for causing a stink and bringing these demands out. "Wahhhhh you just traded my buddy" isn't good enough IMO.

Old
08-12-2011, 07:37 AM
OcAirlines

It's going to be interesting how the Catenacci-hype-crew will react now...

Old
08-12-2011, 08:17 AM
rabi

wonder why McCauley hasn't come to an agreement yet?

Old
08-12-2011, 08:35 AM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by OcAirlines View Post
It's going to be interesting how the Catenacci-hype-crew will react now...
It also could be something family related, which has been known to happen, especially with the distance up to SSM from the GTA.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rabi View Post
wonder why McCauley hasn't come to an agreement yet?
Scuttlebutt was that he wants to stay closer to home in New England. It wouldn't be a surprise if they make a minor deal with the Yotes or Sharks to send his rights either to Portland or Worcester.

Old
08-12-2011, 12:34 PM
jfb392

Another prospect on Twitter: @Colin_Jacobs19

Old
08-12-2011, 12:41 PM
OcAirlines

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chainshot View Post
It also could be something family related, which has been known to happen, especially with the distance up to SSM from the GTA.
That's certainly possible. I also didn't want to imply that this trade-request is a sign of a bad character or something like that. But a lot of users were very enthusiastic after some of his quotes and some reports that, at least to me, were nothing special and just draftee-standard. It will be interesting to see if reactions to his trade-request will be as strong as those after the draft or if people don't read too much in it.

Old
08-12-2011, 12:42 PM
WhoIsJimBob
Suffering

http://ca.sports.yahoo.com/juniorhoc...rhockey-wp1024

Quote:
As near as one can tell, Catenacci's trade request became public when Niagara IceDogs coach-GM Marty Williamson mentioned it in passing while talking about negotations with his first-rounder, defenceman Adam Bateman. From Bernie Pulchaski:

Williamson said ice time is indeed the reason for the stalled negotiations with Bateman.

"We've only spoken through the agent and the agent feels that we're possibly so deep that he might not develop this year and missing that year of development could hurt him.

"It has been very cordial. It's not like we're upset with each other, but it's exploratory to see if maybe there is a better situation for him."

Williamson said several other teams have an interest in Batemen, who compares himself to IceDogs defenceman Jesse Graham.

"There is a lot in the works, but nothing concrete. When the (Sault Ste. Marie centre Daniel) Catenacci kid is available, there's a lot of people talking. Hypothetically, if Bateman is available, I'm getting lots of calls."

When contacted by Yahoo! Canada Sports on Friday morning, Ferris said he had "no comment at this time," explaining that he didn't want to speak for the record before making contact with Dubas. As noted, Catenacci, who was taken No. 1 overall by the Greyhounds in the 2009 OHL priority selection draft, is not alone in requesting a change of scenery after going through the NHL draft. Last season, Steven Shipley (Owen Sound to Niagara), Ryan Spooner (Peterborough to Kingston) and John McFarland (Sudbury to Saginaw), who were each Top 5 picks coming out of minor midget in 2008, all changed teams in the span of about three months. McFarland and Spooner were second-round NHL picks of the Florida Panthers and Boston Bruins, while Shipley went to the Buffalo Sabres in the fourth.
I'm guessing his agent is surprised that it got out....

Old
08-12-2011, 03:25 PM
ohlguy

I think since being drafted 1st overall there was a promise to Catenacci and the Orr Group that things would turn around in the Soo for the Greyhounds. They really haven’t met that promise for the team or for him in my opinion. There is an alarming feel of instability surrounding the Soo with this team, despite the latest hires or how their new 25 year old GM spins the situation.

I think Catenacci and his agent did their due by sticking it out for 2 years to see what happened, but ultimately the team continued to flounder, through no fault of his own in my opinion. You always got 100% effort night in and night out so he can't be faulted. At 17 he lead the team with 71 points and also witnessed a coach and GM both getting fired. It just seems like a lot of turmoil from afar in my opinion.

There is some hope, but if that was all you were being sold on in the previous regime, with little to no substance, I think you sour. The last thing the Orr Group want's is Cat's development potentially being stalled, I think they would want him to be part of a program that is looking out for him in becoming a better player. He gave the Soo the shot, junior is a small window to develop, and ultimately they didn’t really help him out. Hard to fault the guy when he gave them a chance. Right or wrong, I can understand this decision.

Old
08-12-2011, 03:40 PM
jfb392

So far today against Sweden, Armia has a primary assist on Miikka Salomäki's goal that tied the game.
Sweden later took the lead and are currently holding onto it at the end of the first period, 2-1.

Armia is on a line with the aforementioned Salomäki (NSH) and Joonas Donskoi (FLA) and they are apparently playing well.
He's apparently been pretty physical today also.

I should mention that he's leading his team in scoring so far through this tournament, with four points in four games.
He's also had a point in every game so far.

Edit: Finland loses 8-4.
Armia ends the camp with 1 goal, 3 assists in 4 games, tied for first on his team along with Markus Granlund.
Finland did pretty poorly, going 0-4 and giving up 24 goals while only scoring 9.
I'm sure they'll do much better at the WJC, hopefully they won't be missing Mikael again.

Last edited by jfb392: 08-12-2011 at 05:28 PM.
Old
08-12-2011, 06:43 PM
Granin

Here's Armia's assist on Salomäki's goal. Showed some great hands there

Closed Thread