HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Situation on defense?

Old
08-11-2011, 06:02 PM
UniverStalinGraduate*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by neofury View Post
Not saying I'd give up Subban but if we had to trade a nice package to get Iginla for a cup run, I'd be happy we did it. I'd be furious with Iginla if he busted but not with management. It would likely be a pretty high % trade idea. Cammy and Iginla have played well together.
I might be alone on this but I don't think the habs need another forward. Iginla is great but this team flat out can't have that much money invested at forward, what if Iginla has a big drop off, which is totally conceivable. I want nothing to do with Iginla.

I'd love to see the habs target someone like Pavelski, he's young and versatile as well, if they're going to go after a forward. That 5 million in cap space could be pretty huge for getting an upgrade at defence later in the year, maybe they move out Spacek for a 4th round pick

Calgary would want too much, and the risk versus reward really isn't in the habs favour when you consider the return and his being on the team in no way ensures the team has some sort of greater success.

UniverStalinGraduate* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2011, 06:03 PM
Ozymandias
#firetherrien

I can't believe some people are regulars here and still don't know what LJV stands for...

like this dude :

Quote:
Originally Posted by UniverStalinGraduate View Post
I don't know who LJV is...

I'm sure there are lots of teams who would have serious interest in a guy like Weber. He's young, cheap and has some serious offensive potential.
He's the young Weber...

Y'know, Le Jeune Vébère....

Ozymandias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2011, 06:16 PM
BigTime

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozymandias View Post
I can't believe some people are regulars here and still don't know what LJV stands for...

like this dude :

He's the young Weber...

people are slow and need it spelt out for them

Le
Jeune
Vébère

BigTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2011, 06:22 PM
UniverStalinGraduate*

Quote:

like this dude :

He's the young Weber...

LJV=Weber, good to know. Thanks

Old
08-11-2011, 06:23 PM
neofury*

Quote:
Originally Posted by UniverStalinGraduate View Post
I might be alone on this but I don't think the habs need another forward. Iginla is great but this team flat out can't have that much money invested at forward, what if Iginla has a big drop off, which is totally conceivable. I want nothing to do with Iginla.

I'd love to see the habs target someone like Pavelski, he's young and versatile as well, if they're going to go after a forward. That 5 million in cap space could be pretty huge for getting an upgrade at defence later in the year, maybe they move out Spacek for a 4th round pick

Calgary would want too much, and the risk versus reward really isn't in the habs favour when you consider the return and his being on the team in no way ensures the team has some sort of greater success.
One thing I will say is don't count on Calgary to win any trades any time soon. They've been a disaster with trades lately.

neofury* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2011, 07:27 PM
UniverStalinGraduate*

Quote:
One thing I will say is don't count on Calgary to win any trades any time soon. They've been a disaster with trades lately.
Yeah Calgary is going to be a joke of a franchise for many years to come. It's quite amusing.

Old
08-11-2011, 07:57 PM
Blind Gardien
Global Moderator
nexus of the crisis

Quote:
I had the same thought, but let my ego aside, and concluded that they must know something we don't...
It's premature to draw any conclusions. Without a doubt they've seen Emelin more than any of us here have. It doesn't add up to enough for them to make conclusions, or for us to make conclusions about their conclusions. All we can say is that we think the defense looks thin atm, and doesn't look like it could handle the failure of Emelin. But they could already have talked to Mara and some others about coming to camp, and/or simply have no worries about finding those kinds of guys if/when needed. It's fair for us to wonder in the meantime. And to express concern. Without having any expectation of ever having any additional insight. Ego isn't really a factor. They know so much more about what's going on than we ever can that there really isn't any room for ego to even get a foot in the door. We just play the game, it's all we have.

Blind Gardien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2011, 07:55 AM
neofury*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blind Gardien View Post
It's premature to draw any conclusions. Without a doubt they've seen Emelin more than any of us here have. It doesn't add up to enough for them to make conclusions, or for us to make conclusions about their conclusions. All we can say is that we think the defense looks thin atm, and doesn't look like it could handle the failure of Emelin. But they could already have talked to Mara and some others about coming to camp, and/or simply have no worries about finding those kinds of guys if/when needed. It's fair for us to wonder in the meantime. And to express concern. Without having any expectation of ever having any additional insight. Ego isn't really a factor. They know so much more about what's going on than we ever can that there really isn't any room for ego to even get a foot in the door. We just play the game, it's all we have.
I have to say I disagree. It is enough imo to come to the conclusion that they think he's ready. I really doubt they'd risk a one-way contract on him even knowing full well he'll defect back if he isn't good. It wouldn't be good for the org or Emelin.

I think their main concern isn't so much how well he'll play, I think they're already assuming at worst he'll be a #6. Scouting reports of the guy seem pretty positive as well. So if PG and TT seem to think the guys at the bare minimum a #6 I think it is safe to conclude we should at least expect him to be passable for one season. Whether or not he'll stick is another story.

Barring a complete disaster I think they'll be patient with him and nurture him into a real NHL role. Doubt they would have signed him or even tried to unless they were extremely confident. So yeah, I'm concluding that the odds are pretty slim he'll be bad.

Old
08-12-2011, 08:34 AM
swimmer77
Post Oates

Quote:
I have to say I disagree. It is enough imo to come to the conclusion that they think he's ready. I really doubt they'd risk a one-way contract on him even knowing full well he'll defect back if he isn't good. It wouldn't be good for the org or Emelin.

I think their main concern isn't so much how well he'll play, I think they're already assuming at worst he'll be a #6. Scouting reports of the guy seem pretty positive as well. So if PG and TT seem to think the guys at the bare minimum a #6 I think it is safe to conclude we should at least expect him to be passable for one season. Whether or not he'll stick is another story.

Barring a complete disaster I think they'll be patient with him and nurture him into a real NHL role. Doubt they would have signed him or even tried to unless they were extremely confident. So yeah, I'm concluding that the odds are pretty slim he'll be bad.

What are the chances of JM foiling the plan? LOL

swimmer77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2011, 08:51 AM
Playmaker09
Valar Morghulis

Quote:

I definitely see him getting some preseason games next to Markov. If that doesn't work out, then we'll see the return of Gill-Subban and he should anchor the third pair with either Spacek/Weber.

Playmaker09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2011, 09:10 AM
Dan K
HFBoards Partner

Send a message via MSN to Dan K
I would like to think there is still another move to upgrade our defense planned, but I guess it's unlikely at this point.

I think the idea would be to bring in a real top 4 defenseman, and then find a taker in trade for Spacek.

That could give us:

Markov - Gorges
TOP 4 - Subban
Gill - Weber/Yemelin

Gill is great with a younger partner, and I think he would benefit from fewer minutes 5-on-5. Neither Gorges nor Subban should NEED Gill by their side this season.

Markov and Gorges have played together sparingly and make for a solid duo. Splitting Markov and Subban at 5-on-5 ensures more balance at even strength.

PP1: Markov - Subban
PP2: TOP 4 or Forward - Weber/Yemelin

PK1: Gill - Subban
PK2: Markov - Gorges
(and when it's critical, Gill - Gorges)

Dan K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2011, 09:17 AM
neofury*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Playmaker09 View Post
I definitely see him getting some preseason games next to Markov. If that doesn't work out, then we'll see the return of Gill-Subban and he should anchor the third pair with either Spacek/Weber.
Exactly. Like I said barring a complete disaster (i.e. showing up to camp 25lbs overweight )

Old
08-12-2011, 09:34 AM
swimmer77
Post Oates

I can't see Gill with Weber or Yemelin. I could very well be wrong but IMO Gill needs a d partner who is either established (Gorges) or exceptional (Subban). Gill has yet to prove he can actually babysit a lesser quality d-man than those two. Gorges makes few mistakes in his own zone and Subban was covering for Gill more than visa versa. And it's one reason why I wish Hamr would have been a priority over Gill. He had proven time and again he's a good, solid babysitter while contributing offensively too.

swimmer77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2011, 09:40 AM
irunthepeg
THE ONE WHO KNOCKS

Quote:
He's an actor from Jersey Shore, and yet you expect him to play hockey???

As if there isn't more recognition for this post. I hate JS but that post was great.

This thread just reminded me we lost Hamrlik but still have Spacek... why couldn't we have gotten rid of Spacek and kept Hamrlik for 1 more season...

irunthepeg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2011, 09:51 AM
neofury*

Quote:
Originally Posted by WordUp View Post

As if there isn't more recognition for this post. I hate JS but that post was great.

This thread just reminded me we lost Hamrlik but still have Spacek... why couldn't we have gotten rid of Spacek and kept Hamrlik for 1 more season...
I don't even watch the show just found out that was one of their "names" and found it really stupid.

That being said I'm not the type to draw responses from comments I seem to think are funny() but even I'm surprised you're the first to respond to that.

If we have the situation on D I think we're in a lot of trouble....

Old
08-12-2011, 10:07 AM
BLONG7

I think Emelin is going to be a pleasant surprise guys, he has been playing in a pro league, not the AHL or Junior...there will be an adjustment for him, but I think he is here to stay!

BLONG7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2011, 10:12 AM
irunthepeg
THE ONE WHO KNOCKS

Quote:
I don't even watch the show just found out that was one of their "names" and found it really stupid.

That being said I'm not the type to draw responses from comments I seem to think are funny() but even I'm surprised you're the first to respond to that.

If we have the situation on D I think we're in a lot of trouble....
Bro-fist his way to 600 PIM on the year

irunthepeg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2011, 11:04 AM
Blind Gardien
Global Moderator
nexus of the crisis

Quote:
There's no such thing as a 1-way ELC. He's on a 2-way contract. And there's no risk in it whatsoever... if he plays well enough to stay, great, if not, the team isn't out anything. So it would have been very much worth it even if the team was unsure if he was ready or not.

Quote:
I don't have any odds to go by at all. He'll play as he plays. Alexandrov or Zubarev or I don't know - pick your example - being a good young KHL defenseman doesn't automatically mean you are a good NHL defenseman straight away. And it doesn't sound like he's interested in putting in an apprenticeship. And Jacques Martin is his coach. I don't have any conclusions either, just a general sense that caution is probably warranted.

Blind Gardien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2011, 11:33 AM
neofury*

I see your point and I raise you a Diaz

That guy will definitely be there to light a match under Emelin's ass if he isn't playing well and if he defects back to Russia at the very least we have a guy who might be able to step in. Somewhat of an insurance policy, so I guess maybe it works both ways. Could be they weren't all that confident in Emelin, I just have a good feeling about him.

Old
08-12-2011, 01:10 PM
montreal
Go Habs Go

Quote:
Originally Posted by #11 Saku Koivu View Post
I would like to think there is still another move to upgrade our defense planned, but I guess it's unlikely at this point.

I think the idea would be to bring in a real top 4 defenseman, and then find a taker in trade for Spacek.
I hope so, would love to see us upgrade the defense although I'm not expecting it to happen. Can't say I like seeing Gorges on our top pairing, but we'll see what the pairings look like, wouldn't mind if they go back to the Gill Gorges pairing.

montreal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2011, 01:25 PM
WestIslander

Start the season with:

Markov - Gorges
Gill - Subban
Spacek - Emelin
Weber

End the season with:

Markov - Gorges
Gill - Subban
Weber - Emelin
Diaz

What I would love to see:

Markov - Gorges
Gill - Subban
Hannan - Emelin
Weber

WestIslander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2011, 02:12 PM
NewHabsEra*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blind Gardien View Post
I think some people forget about Diaz in the equation..

NewHabsEra* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2011, 04:59 PM
UniverStalinGraduate*

Quote:
Originally Posted by WestIslander View Post
Start the season with:

Markov - Gorges
Gill - Subban
Spacek - Emelin
Weber

End the season with:

Markov - Gorges
Gill - Subban
Weber - Emelin
Diaz

What I would love to see:

Markov - Gorges
Gill - Subban
Hannan - Emelin
Weber
How would Hannan be an improvement over Spacek?

Old
08-12-2011, 05:01 PM
neofury*

Gorges can be a top pairing D with Markov if Komisarek was able to be.

Old
08-12-2011, 05:02 PM
UniverStalinGraduate*

Quote:
Gorges can be a top pairing D with Markov if Komisarek was able to be.
People put too much stock in where in the line up someone is placed. I really believe Gorges would be a good partner for Markov, I'm not going to presume the team won't do anything next year because they have Gorges in their top pairing. The habs have the potential for 3 very solid pairings (4 actually) and I'm quite content with that.