HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Could Sergei lure Andrei here?

Old
08-12-2011, 07:46 AM
Legionnaire11
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by glenngineer View Post
We're $15 million under the top of the cap. If we added Parise we'd be $9 million under the cap. We have the room to make a move like this if we so choose.
not to mention whatever salary we'd be sending to NJ.

Legionnaire11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2011, 08:05 AM
David Singleton

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLake View Post
Just dreaming...

Patric Hornqvist - Mike Fisher - Andrei Kostitsyn
Sergei Kostitsyn - David Legwand - Martin Erat
Nick Spaling - Jerred Smithson - Jordin Tootoo
Colin Wilson - Cal O'Reilly - Niclas Bergfors
Zack Stortini - X - Matt Halischuk

Ryan Suter - Shea Weber
Jon Blum - Kevin Klein
Roman Josi - Jack Hillen
Teemu Laakso

Pekka Rinne
Anders Lindback

I think I like it...
Seth, is Andrei the one that can bring the puck into the zone and distribute it on that line? If not, I see a lot of Hornqvist/Fisher shooting the puck into the goalie's chest just inside the blueline in that dream. I also see a lot of Sergei and Leggy passing back and forth to each other as Erat plays ring-around-the-goalie before they all fall down with that second line.

lol

Just yanking your chain.

If the Kostitsyn brothers can co-exist without creating a toxic atmosphere in the locker room, Andrei's physicality and shoot-first mentality would be a good fit.

Does it take you to that proverbial "next level"? Don't know.

David Singleton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2011, 08:16 AM
AtlantaWhaler
Thrash/Preds/Sabres

This is becoming more and more a possibility...

Quote:
"My relationship with the coach is not too good."
http://tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=373617

AtlantaWhaler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2011, 09:11 AM
Jarnberg

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Singleton View Post

Does it take you to that proverbial "next level"? Don't know.
Improvement yes, next level... no

Jarnberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2011, 09:32 AM
Seth Lake

Send a message via AIM to Seth Lake
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stranger View Post
Improvement yes, next level... no
Agreed, but the question has to be asked...what would take us to the next level in August?

The way I see it, a mid-sized top-6 addition allows us the strength to be in the mix late in the season and the flexibility to add a piece or two later if/when needed...

Seth Lake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2011, 11:20 AM
David Singleton

Quote:
Agreed, but the question has to be asked...what would take us to the next level in August?

The way I see it, a mid-sized top-6 addition allows us the strength to be in the mix late in the season and the flexibility to add a piece or two later if/when needed...
Very possible.

There's less "safe" depth this season (i.e. depth is more dependent upon youth stepping up), so injuries like last season have the potential to hurt even more.

Unless the big 3 are signed prior to the season, it will be interesting to see how the team responds to any potential "distractions" that results. The players/coaches/management are all professionals, but they're also human.

If the big 3 play up to their level, and the two issues above turn out to be non-issues, Nashville should remain in the mix and provide more time for further improvement.

David Singleton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2011, 12:11 PM
predfan24

With the recent news if AK was available for a decent price I would hope Poile would look into grabbing him. Put him on the top 6 here and if he works out we would have quite a bit of leverage re-signing him with SK here.

Probably a pipedream but it would be worth the risk. If he doesn't work out you can always let him walk as a UFA.

predfan24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2011, 01:01 PM
RaiderDoug

DP should be working the phones for this right now.

Some guys just need a change of scenery. Montreal is not the easiest place to play hockey - like playing ball for the Yanks. His game fits the hole that we have

There's probably no one that's going to be available at the trade deadline that will be significantly better than this guy. It's going to be Ales Hemsky, a crazy-expensive Parise (with no chance of a re-sign), a bunch of riff-raff from the Panthers, and the usual junk. And they'll probably cost way more than a disgruntled redundant winger from the Canadiens.

Besides - i'm not a fan of the whole "lets wait until the trade deadline" thinking. Getting 82 games out of someone is a heck of alot better than 20 or whatever - we might be able to get some home games out of it rather than eeking into a bottom seed and having to travel to a higher seed. Maybe, just maybe, with our goaltending and defense and a little luck, we can take the division.

RaiderDoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2011, 01:16 PM
Seth Lake

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Singleton View Post
Seth, is Andrei the one that can bring the puck into the zone and distribute it on that line? If not, I see a lot of Hornqvist/Fisher shooting the puck into the goalie's chest just inside the blueline in that dream. I also see a lot of Sergei and Leggy passing back and forth to each other as Erat plays ring-around-the-goalie before they all fall down with that second line.

lol

Just yanking your chain.

If the Kostitsyn brothers can co-exist without creating a toxic atmosphere in the locker room, Andrei's physicality and shoot-first mentality would be a good fit.
That's why I paired him with Hornqvist (to rebound, Patric needs more shots on goal from his line), but as you said...is Fisher the right center? I don't know...

I liked the combination of Erat-Legwand-Kostitsyn that we saw in the playoffs last year and my other option (pending a training camp
turnaround by a young player) would be putting Wilson up with Fisher and A. Kostitsyn to serve as the playmaker and moving Hornqvist down to the 3rd scoring line (ie: 4th line) with O'Reilly and Bergfors to serve as the playmaker and shooter respectively.

A lot will be determined in camp, but adding A. Kostitsyn to the mix certainly opens up a lot more possibilities....

Old
08-12-2011, 01:32 PM
101st_fan
I taught Yoda

OK ... let's look at this opportunity. If we're to get AK, we probably send a NHL ready/experienced forward back along with a prospect or picks. Our glut of 3rd line talent might pay off here.

As long as Alex Henry isn't coming back our way as part of the deal .........

101st_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2011, 01:33 PM
Seth Lake

Quote:
Originally Posted by 101st_fan View Post
OK ... let's look at this opportunity. If we're to get AK, we probably send a NHL ready/experienced forward back along with a prospect or picks. Our glut of 3rd line talent might pay off here.

As long as Alex Henry isn't coming back our way as part of the deal .........
I was thinking Halischuk and a pick honestly...

Old
08-12-2011, 01:44 PM
TootooTrain
Bangers

I don't want to be a buzz kill, but am I the only one who thinks that just because a player doesn't like his coach it doesn't mean he'll be moved? I know he hasn't been playing up to expectations in montreal but he's the only real big forward on what is a very small team. I could only see it happening for an overpayment. I'd rather give the icetime to Wilson.

TootooTrain is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2011, 01:45 PM
101st_fan
I taught Yoda

Quote:
I was thinking Halischuk and a pick honestly...
I was leaning more O'Reilly and a 2nd or 3rd. Halischuk and a 2nd could work.

I keep having a hard time fitting Tootoo into the lines anymore. So many bottom six forwards with so few places to put them. The choices get even tougher if Smith has a good camp.

Old
08-12-2011, 01:57 PM
MrJoshua

Quote:
I was leaning more O'Reilly and a 2nd or 3rd. Halischuk and a 2nd could work.

I keep having a hard time fitting Tootoo into the lines anymore. So many bottom six forwards with so few places to put them. The choices get even tougher if Smith has a good camp.
Spaling-Smithson-Tootoo is about the only line I feel at all confident about. They seemed to gel together after Tootoo came back and played very well down the stretch and in the playoffs. I think that makes for a very good third/fourth line hybrid. They're defensively responsible, fast, gritty, and can play an energy role or a shutdown role.

MrJoshua is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2011, 02:14 PM
101st_fan
I taught Yoda

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrJoshua View Post
Spaling-Smithson-Tootoo is about the only line I feel at all confident about. They seemed to gel together after Tootoo came back and played very well down the stretch and in the playoffs. I think that makes for a very good third/fourth line hybrid. They're defensively responsible, fast, gritty, and can play an energy role or a shutdown role.
Except when Tootoo is moved up a line and Halischuk is the 4th line winger.

I know it is almost blasphemy to suggest, but, Tootoo can be moved. I doubt this is the time he gets traded, but, he is portable for the right return. We've all waited for him to evolve beyond a wrecking ball on skates, and he does show flashes of his junior and AHL level offensive ability ... but only flashes. For 1.35mil this year we need to see his game progress further.

Old
08-12-2011, 03:30 PM
Preds Partisan
Nothing

Quote:
Quote:
Except when Tootoo is moved up a line and Halischuk is the 4th line winger. I know it is almost blasphemy to suggest, but, Tootoo can be moved. I doubt this is the time he gets traded, but, he is portable for the right return. We've all waited for him to evolve beyond a wrecking ball on skates, and he does show flashes of his junior and AHL level offensive ability ... but only flashes. For 1.35mil this year we need to see his game progress further.
Completely agree with this position (actually for quite awhile). Tootoo isn't good enough offensively to be a top nine forward (even on this team) if the Preds are going to try and run three "scoring" lines, and his style of play and defensive ability isn't really what you're looking for on a true shutdown line. He's had his chances to prove himself, but with the current makeup of the team and this team's need to bolster the offense, I'm not sure where he plays and how the Preds get their money's worth in any case.

Got to believe that there are GM's out there that would find interest in Tootoo as part of a package over some of the other 3/4th liners we have to offer. Not sure if Mon. would want somebody like this in a package or not, but I could make the argument that Tootoo could add some punch to Mont. Maybe the wrong thread to discuss this, but since this is the first time this has come up in such a long time, wanted to give my full support to 101 for bringing this up.

Preds Partisan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2011, 04:17 PM
Paranoid Android
mug mug mug

Quote:
Originally Posted by glenngineer View Post
We're $15 million under the top of the cap. If we added Parise we'd be $9 million under the cap. We have the room to make a move like this if we so choose.
I'd love to be wrong, but I don't see us having that much payroll room. I'm more at $4-5M. And yea, we could trade away salary, but the only candidates I see (without a NTC) are Kostitsyn or Hornqvist. Would they be worth giving up for 1 year of Parise?

Paranoid Android is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2011, 04:28 PM
TMI
Global Moderator

I've held the opinion that Tootoo is expendable for a while, but I'm finding myself disagreeing now. Yes he has shown only flashes of the potential we all thought he had, but I'm still hung up. The plays he made after coming back, especially in the first round of the play offs, were pretty damn good.

Anyway, I wouldn't be saddened if he were dealt, but I don't think he's as big of an offensive obstacle as some might suggest. He had a problem that he dealt with like an adult. I'm hoping that this season shows that exorcized demon was his biggest hold up. I'm not expecting it, though.

TMI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2011, 10:12 AM
handtrick

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaiderDoug View Post
DP should be working the phones.
From past episodes, DP apparently doesn't work the phones, they have to call him....

handtrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2011, 11:25 AM
triggrman
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by handtrick View Post
From past episodes, DP apparently doesn't work the phones, they have to call him....
Too true.

triggrman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-15-2011, 11:15 AM
thomas magnum

Nobody is ready to crank up the Andrei to Preds rumors with him talking **** about the coach in MTL?

thomas magnum is offline   Reply With Quote