HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

The Visiting Fan's Guide to Philadelphia

Old
04-07-2011, 02:38 PM
tuckrr

vCash: 500
cant wait to get drunk here:
http://video.flyers.nhl.com/videocen...nsole?id=11220

should be a year until we have a HUGE bar, then another 2 until its fully up, but it will be worth it. Much nicer Bar, probably better food (probably expensive as hell, but a really nice option for those who can afford it)

tuckrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2011, 03:22 PM
flountown

If they try to seat you in the Play2 Lounge or whatever, tell them no. Or just get up and walk back to the other side, I have done it plenty of times.

flountown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2011, 06:47 PM
Smudger

Good evening.

I'm travelling from the UK and will be in Philadelphia from Wednesday evening. My friend and i would really like to catch the second playoff game. Can any fans provide me with some hints or tips on getting some half decent tickets without having to take out a loan and pay ebay or ticket reseller prices? Any information will be welcome and really appreciate the time anyone takes to respond.

Smudger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2011, 02:55 AM
HockeyIsEverything

Where to buy hockeygear?

I'm flying in from Norway to Philadelphia next month, and I'd like to know if there are any specific hockeyshops around that is recommended. Can I just walk into any sports shop and expect to find a wide variety of hockeygear?

I'm also into photography, so I appreciate if anyone can point me to any decent camerastore as well. Does Philadelphia have any shops like BH and Adorama in NY?

BTW, how about clothing and shoes...? I need to shop some of this as well

I will stay in Philly from May 21'st to May 26'th. Any chance to pick up a playoff macth as well, provided Flyers makes their way to the final? I do know the dates, nor where to find them.

HockeyIsEverything is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2011, 10:40 AM
Phileeguy
G's got good hands.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyIsEverything View Post
I'm flying in from Norway to Philadelphia next month, and I'd like to know if there are any specific hockeyshops around that is recommended. Can I just walk into any sports shop and expect to find a wide variety of hockeygear?
No, you really can't expect a good variety of hockey equipment if you walk into any sports shop. Obviously some are better than others though. Your best bet is probably a Skate Zone shop for that. There's a few in and around the city, and although I haven't been in a while I remember them having a decent set-up gear wise.
http://www.flyersskatezone.com/gearzone/
The Modells sports stores around here do carry some equipment as well, but it's hit or miss with some of their stores. There's also a store on South street called Schere's Hockey equipment, but I've never been and can't comment on their stock.

Quote:
I'm also into photography, so I appreciate if anyone can point me to any decent camerastore as well. Does Philadelphia have any shops like BH and Adorama in NY?
There's plenty around center city. I'm not a big camera enthusiast so I haven't been in many. Unless someone else here is one, I suggest you Google "Philadelphia camera stores" and check out their sites/reviews.

Quote:
BTW, how about clothing and shoes...? I need to shop some of this as well
Same deal as with the camera shops here. There's plenty in and around center city, it just depends on what you're after. If you're interested in hockey related clothing you can always check out the Skate Zone for that as well, any Modell's really and Mitchell & Ness in Center city.

Quote:
I will stay in Philly from May 21'st to May 26'th. Any chance to pick up a playoff macth as well, provided Flyers makes their way to the final? I do know the dates, nor where to find them.
Good luck.

Phileeguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2011, 12:24 AM
HockeyIsEverything

Thanks Phileeguy!

I navigated to the site you recommended, and it looks promising(at least it seems not to very expensive).

HockeyIsEverything is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2011, 09:55 AM
HANDZ 57
Trap = 4 letter word

vCash: 518
Single Game Tickets, When? (opposing bench, STL airfare)

Hey Guys,

I'm thinking about heading up there to visit my sister's family and to see the Blues V Flyers on Oct. 22nd. I was checking out the website for ticket info, but couldn't find any single game ticket information. When do those generally go on sale each year?

Also, In which sections is the opposing team's bench located?

Finally, does anybody have experience with airfare between STL and PHI? I was checking southwest and it looks like oneway is $104, which didn't seem too bad. Was wondering if I should wait a little bit to see if they drop, or if that was probably as good as it was going to get.

Thanks!

HANDZ 57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2011, 11:35 AM
MiamiScreamingEagles
Global Moderator
A Fistful of Dollars

vCash: 1064
Quote:
Originally Posted by HANDZ 57 View Post
Hey Guys,

I'm thinking about heading up there to visit my sister's family and to see the Blues V Flyers on Oct. 22nd. I was checking out the website for ticket info, but couldn't find any single game ticket information. When do those generally go on sale each year?

Also, In which sections is the opposing team's bench located?

Finally, does anybody have experience with airfare between STL and PHI? I was checking southwest and it looks like oneway is $104, which didn't seem too bad. Was wondering if I should wait a little bit to see if they drop, or if that was probably as good as it was going to get.

Thanks!
Individual ticket info is generally released around early September but 215.218.PUCK (7825) could be of further help for ticket info.

Flights: kayak.com or bing.com/travel are usually helpful.

MiamiScreamingEagles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2011, 04:06 PM
Derby
Pilsners in Prague

Coming in from out of town for a game and staying near the airport. Question is this: How is the public transportation? Can I get to the city from the airport, then to the arena for a game, and then BACK to the airport area to my hotel without renting a Car? We'll be in for less than 24 hrs.

Is renting a car a better option? Thanks! And you guys are gonna LOVE Jake Voracek.

Derby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2011, 04:40 PM
Phileeguy
G's got good hands.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derby View Post
Coming in from out of town for a game and staying near the airport. Question is this: How is the public transportation? Can I get to the city from the airport, then to the arena for a game, and then BACK to the airport area to my hotel without renting a Car? We'll be in for less than 24 hrs.

Is renting a car a better option? Thanks! And you guys are gonna LOVE Jake Voracek.
The public transportation in Philly is IMHO somewhere between okay and good, but not great. It is possible to get to the city and subsequently to the Wells Fargo Center from the Airport if you allot yourself the proper amount of time.

I know there's a regional rail line at the airport which would get you to the city. It takes you to 30th street station, where you can then hop on the Market-Frankfort (blue) line to the very center of the city and then you can take the subway (orange) line south to the arena.

There might be a more direct route that I'm not aware of offhand. Check out www.septa.org for routes, scheduling and prices.

As for renting a car, this alternative is probably easiest. The airport is just off I-95, and all you have to do to reach the sports complex where the arena is located is travel I-95 north to the Broad street exit. The drive from the airport to the sports complex is usually less than 15 minutes.

Phileeguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2011, 09:56 AM
Canadian_Brewtality

Coming to Philly

Hey guys,
Believe it or not, am a big philly fan in Montreal. Well, lets say Flyers are my 2nd team.
Im coming into town for 1 day.

If i had to "spend a day in philly" what area do you suggest i stay in? Would like to visit the museum of arts, eat a cheesesteak, and catch a phillies game.

Any other suggestions? And more importantly who has the best cheesesteak?

Thanks in advance for the info.

Canadian_Brewtality is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2011, 01:43 PM
FlyersFan61290

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadian_Brewtality View Post
Hey guys,
Believe it or not, am a big philly fan in Montreal. Well, lets say Flyers are my 2nd team.

If i had to "spend a day in philly" what area do you suggest i stay in? Would like to visit the museum of arts, eat a cheesesteak, and catch a phillies game.

I suggest checking out http://www.visitphilly.com/

as far as the cheesesteaks there are a bunch of good places but I personally like Chink's steaks and steve's prince of steaks but there not in the in the city. that question may very well start a flame war, lol. to be honest though most places are good but pat's and geno's are almost always busy before a philly sports game and are overrated imo.

FlyersFan61290 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2011, 03:47 PM
DumpyD

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyersFan61290 View Post
I suggest checking out http://www.visitphilly.com/

as far as the cheesesteaks there are a bunch of good places but I personally like Chink's steaks and steve's prince of steaks but there not in the in the city. that question may very well start a flame war, lol. to be honest though most places are good but pat's and geno's are almost always busy before a philly sports game and are overrated imo.
John's ainec. pat's and geno's are nothing but bad-decent prospects.

DumpyD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2011, 03:51 PM
JVR21
G

Quote:
Originally Posted by DumpyD View Post
John's ainec. pat's and geno's are nothing but bad-decent prospects.
They're more like the aging, overpaid, former Cup winners on 35+ contracts.

JVR21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2011, 05:40 PM
MiamiScreamingEagles
Global Moderator
A Fistful of Dollars

vCash: 1064
Quote:
Hey guys,

There are some options mentioned in the first post of this thread, too.

MiamiScreamingEagles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2011, 11:05 PM
FLYERSxGIROUX28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
I personally like Tony Luke's... they have the best bread, IMO. Pat's and Geno's are exceptional for showing up at around 1am and getting something to eat, as the people watching is immensely entertaining. However, I don't think there's anything exceptional about what they produce...

Jim's is the most intense ordering experience, I think... and the only place I've seen a Soup Nazi situation play out and two tourists were screamed at by the chef. Deer in headlights... was fantastic.
I like Geno's actually... but anyone visiting should take a look at Dalessandro's or Chubby's on Henry Ave in roxborough.... out of the way of the stadiums, but worth it.

FLYERSxGIROUX28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2011, 12:12 AM
DeadPhish5858
Rumham!

vCash: 200
Send a message via AIM to DeadPhish5858
Quote:
Originally Posted by FLYERSxGIROUX28 View Post
I like Geno's actually... but anyone visiting should take a look at Dalessandro's or Chubby's on Henry Ave in roxborough.... out of the way of the stadiums, but worth it.
Agreed all around. Fiesta and Barrys are also good in the area.

Do you live in Roxborough? I live a few blocks from these places and not alot seem to know them.

DeadPhish5858 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2011, 08:50 AM
Canadian_Brewtality

thanks alot for the info guys, I just booked a hotel near the philly museum of art. I basically have less than 24 hours to stay. Gonna catch the phillies on the saturday.

I did some research on the cheesestakes and wow, everyone has there fav spots. Ill have to just pick which is closer i guess.

In that area (near the museum) are their alot of sports stores? Wanna pick up some flyers gear.

Canadian_Brewtality is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2011, 12:25 AM
ChefTO

Areas to stay in Philly

Visiting Philly in Nov for a guys sports vacation.

What areas of Philly should I look to stay?

Ideally were looking to rent something for 4 or 5 nights.

Sorry if this is not the place to ask, pm if you have any advice or information.

Thanks

ChefTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2011, 12:32 AM
ShawnTHW
@ShawnTHW

Look at the Stickied Threads

Mod edit:^ The first post has a few suggestions, too.

Last edited by MiamiScreamingEagles: 08-09-2011 at 08:38 AM. Reason: Merged threads.
ShawnTHW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2011, 05:30 AM
flountown

Quote:
thanks alot for the info guys, I just booked a hotel near the philly museum of art. I basically have less than 24 hours to stay. Gonna catch the phillies on the saturday.

I did some research on the cheesestakes and wow, everyone has there fav spots. Ill have to just pick which is closer i guess.

In that area (near the museum) are their alot of sports stores? Wanna pick up some flyers gear.
Not much in the way of sports stores in that area, your best bet is to head to the Market East/Gallery Mall and visit Modell's, and then head to Center City to visit Mitchell and Ness. Also, for your travels, purchase an Independence pass. 11 bucks for unlimited travel on Subways and buses for the day.

flountown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2011, 12:12 PM
HANDZ 57
Trap = 4 letter word

vCash: 518
I've got another question fellas. Per Stub Hub, the Flyers shoot twice at the end between, section 104 and 110. I'm guessing the Flyers bench is the one by sections 123 and 124 then? I just want to be sure before I get my tix. Thanks in advance!

HANDZ 57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2011, 12:38 PM
Jray42

vCash: 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by HANDZ 57 View Post
I've got another question fellas. Per Stub Hub, the Flyers shoot twice at the end between, section 104 and 110. I'm guessing the Flyers bench is the one by sections 123 and 124 then? I just want to be sure before I get my tix. Thanks in advance!
You'd be correct

Jray42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2011, 03:07 PM
PuckBoy33

Decent, reasonable accomodations

Hey boardmates. If you are in Philly you should try the Skyview Hotel @ 23rd and Pennrose Ave. Right near the Linc., CBP and WF Center. Great rates. Safe, clean.

Last edited by PuckBoy33: 08-12-2011 at 03:08 PM. Reason: editing
PuckBoy33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-26-2011, 09:49 AM
phillyfanatic

I read the first post - awesome! Thanks.

Question, is there any particular thoughts on where to sit in the WFC? I noticed that there is only 2 levels (100 and 200's), I am used to booking in the 200's but that is in a stadium with three levels. We are thinking 200's near center ice and at a row around 10 or less. Cheers.

phillyfanatic is offline   Reply With Quote