HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Wojtek Wolski for Andrei Kostitsyn

Old
08-12-2011, 09:10 AM
NYR Viper

vCash: 500
The (1) thing that is very nice about AK is that he can play either wing and he plays a physical brand of hockey. He may not be a prototypical power-forward, but he most certainly should be lumped into that category.

NYR Viper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2011, 10:17 AM
BBKers

Send a message via Skype™ to BBKers
Both players with some luggage and high potential ceiling in contract years. This thread should make for an interesting read in April (will remember to bounce it then...)
I would hesitantly pull the trigger here, doubt Montreal would without us adding a mid prospect/pick though. Still I would do this, especially as the Oracle RB has proposed it. Didnīt Eklund say something about Montreal being interested in Christ? Say AK + 6th/7th 2012 for WW & Christ. Just do it!

FORWARDS
Andrei Kostitsyn ($3.250m) / Brad Richards ($6.666m) / Marian Gaborik ($7.500m)
Brandon Dubinsky ($4.200m) / Artem Anisimov ($1.875m) / Ryan Callahan ($4.275m)
Brian Boyle ($1.700m) / Derek Stepan ($0.875m) / Ruslan Fedotenko ($1.400m)
Sean Avery ($1.937m) / Michael Rupp ($1.500m) / Brandon Prust ($0.800m)
Mats Zuccarello-Aasen ($1.750m) / John Mitchell ($0.650m)

Plenty of other alternatives here too...

DEFENSEMEN
Marc Staal ($3.975m) / Daniel Girardi ($3.325m)
Ryan McDonagh ($1.300m) /Mike Sauer ($1.250m)
Tim Erixon ($1.750m) / Pavel Valentenko ($0.850m)
Steve Eminger ($0.800m)

GOALTENDERS
Henrik Lundqvist ($6.875m) / Martin Biron ($0.875m)

BUYOUTS: Chris Drury ($3.716m)
CARRY-OVER BONUS PENALTY: $527,000

SALARY CAP: $64,300,000
CAP PAYROLL: $63,622,834
BONUSES: $2,125,000
CAP SPACE (23-man roster): $677,166

ME LIKE!!!

Last edited by BBKers: 08-12-2011 at 10:28 AM.
BBKers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2011, 10:24 AM
PuckyTheWhale

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJBergy86 View Post
well I say stay with Wolski. I think he might break out and score 60+ this season
I agree with this only if Torts lets him play with Richards and Gaborik.

PuckyTheWhale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2011, 11:16 AM
vipernsx
Flatus Expeller

Now that it's not only in Belarus but his comments have been plastered all over Canada, Montreal is in a position of wanting to move Kostitsyn a heck of a lot more than NY is looking to move Wolski. If the players were an even swap, which I believe Wolski already has the better talent, NY would be even further ahead in the value department. This is a good opportunity to make a trade for a player who better fits NY's system, make a bit more cap space, and squeeze Montreal for a little extra to rid them of their problem and get a solid player in return.

Why should NY, be so willing to help them out when we need to compete for a playoff spot?

Wolski, Samuel Noreau, 5th
for
Kostitsyn, Magnus Nygren, 2nd

vipernsx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2011, 02:04 PM
Calad
Section 422

Wolski has shown he is putting a LOT of effort into his game this offseason, that plus the sweet hands this kid has makes me lean towards holding onto him.

Calad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2011, 02:19 PM
azrok22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calad View Post
Wolski has shown he is putting a LOT of effort into his game this offseason, that plus the sweet hands this kid has makes me lean towards holding onto him.
Are some people under the impression that NHLers spend all summer on the beach sipping margaritas and don't worry about hockey until training camp?

Every single NHL player, from Sidney Crosby all the way down to Paul Bisonnotte spends a significant portion of the summer working out in preparation for the next year. Some players do it with Gary Roberts, others with Barb Underhill, and others with other notable hockey figures or their own personal trainers. Regardless, they all are doing it.

I think we really need to back away from giving a guy like Wolski credit for doing exactly what he should be doing.

Maybe Wolski shows up for camp with a summer improvement similar to Boyle made last year. If he does, then he deserves the credit. Believe me, I'd be thrilled if that was the case. However, doing exactly what is expected of a professional athlete does not warrant accolades, imo.

azrok22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2011, 02:29 PM
Black Tank

We appear to have a very solid lockerroom going into the new season as well as most of the players returning to build on last year's chemistry. What's AK going to do to that when Torts has his ass planted in the pressbox or the 3d line?

If we knew this answer, I'd be for this move.

Black Tank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2011, 02:33 PM
azrok22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Tank View Post
We appear to have a very solid lockerroom going into the new season as well as most of the players returning to build on last year's chemistry. What's AK going to do to that when Torts has his ass planted in the pressbox or the 3d line?

If we knew this answer, I'd be for this move.
I should clarify that I'm torn on making this proposed trade. From what I've seen of AK, he definitely plays with more fire than Wolski (not that that's saying much). However, it should be empasized, that at least with with AK, you don't know if his ass would be planted in the press box or the 3rd line by Torts. With Wolski, we've already seen exactly that happen, and believing next year will be different is a leap of faith until proven otherwise.

Maybe Wolski has an epiphany about the way he plays the game this summer, and I certainly hope that is the case, but I certainly would not operate under the assumption that it is going to happen. Especially not on the basis of the fact that he's working out during the summer.

azrok22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2011, 04:24 PM
Ola

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruckus View Post
I just don't see this organization bringing in potential malcontents at this point unless they're a sure fire upgrade. I don't see that here. This organization is being built on character.
Or its exactly the opposite, with a strong room we can afford to bring in a malcontent or two.

Ola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2011, 05:06 PM
DekeR

For the time being I would like to see WW stay and see if the potential begins to expose itself with Richards as a teammate,(it doesn't get much better than that). If both players struggle(WW& Kostitsyn) I would pull the swap at mid season just to give a change of scenery to each player, since they both will fly the coop at seasons end.

DekeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2011, 05:33 PM
Watsatheo
Error 503 Service

As a Habs fan, I'd rather keep Kostitsyn. They are both about the same age and both known to be high skilled with consistency issues. The thing about Kostitsyn that makes him more intriguing is his hitting (check out first part of video). This is also the first time Kostitsyn has complained to the media. He's stayed in the AHL for 3 years without any complaints. Heck last season wasn't even the first time he's been regulated to the 3rd/4th line as Martin did it in 2009/2010 as well. Unlike his brother, he rarely says anything so to me that interview is a bit of a surprise.

Watsatheo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2011, 05:55 PM
MacTruck
In Gordie We Trust

I would take this deal every day of the week.

MacTruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2011, 06:31 PM
DrSutton*
Given Up

as much as I wouldn't mind this happening, I think we are going into training camp with this squad - don't think any moves will be made till Sather's usual mid-season shake up.

DrSutton* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2011, 06:51 PM
ruckus*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ola View Post
Or its exactly the opposite, with a strong room we can afford to bring in a malcontent or two.
I understand the thought process, but I don't believe that this team is at that point in the process yet.

I also don't believe if they were, that AK would be the guy worth doing that for.

ruckus* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2011, 07:22 PM
howztheglass

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emma Royd View Post
The last time I remember RB proposing we go after a player, it was Tim Erixon. Are you gonna be 2 for 2, RB? I'd prefer Kostitsyn to Wolski. I think he's a better fit in our system.
If it does happen for the second time everyone will believe that Rangerboy really is Glen Sather--just as shoe shine boy was to Underdog and Clark Kent was to Superman.

I do like what WW has been doing this offseason but if it's a straight swap of players AK is a better player both offensively and defensively--plus he's a more physical player of the 2,less of a chance AK would get bumped off the top 2 lines just because of that.

howztheglass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2011, 07:33 PM
hpNYR
HF Forecaster

I think I rather keep Wolski.

hpNYR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2011, 07:35 PM
N9Y4R
Bleed Blue

I make this trade in a heartbeat. Kostitsyn would be a great compliment on Richard's wing or Anisimov's wing. His physical presence combined with his skill would be a welcome addition to our top 6. He is certainly no more of a ? than Wolski IMO.

Montreal would have to be desperate to move him for this to go down. We would have to add.

N9Y4R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2011, 08:05 PM
hpNYR
HF Forecaster

If Wolski can use his big body sometimes he would be a PERFECT fit on that 1st line. He already loves standing in front of the net and many of his goals have come from there. Just needs to use his size a little more.

hpNYR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2011, 08:29 PM
Florida Ranger
Bring back Torts!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PuckyTheWhale View Post
I agree with this only if Torts lets him play with Richards and Gaborik.
And if he keeps up with both of them.

Florida Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2011, 06:36 AM
Superstar Carwash

Wolski got more upside talent wise, doesn't whine and cry as soon as things aren't going his way, he wants to stay and makes an effort to get better and more consistent for next season.

Kostitsyn is more physical and scores at about the same pace as Wolski, but he's a whining me-first crybaby and I can't for the life of me not see how this guy would get along with Torts.

I can understand why people go all hate on Wolski. He's inconsistent and at times you wonder if he's even on the roster, but he's been with us for half a season. Give the guy at least one full season before going into nuclear-hate mode. Going by raw talent, this guy can probably be a PPG player in the NHL, he just need to get his **** together while having the coach's trust.

Superstar Carwash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2011, 11:16 AM
GWOW
Two Pucks, One Cup

Both players have baggage, except WW isnt a cancer or malcontent. he just underperforms sometimes. AK is a yapper on and off the the ice.

No thanks.

GWOW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2011, 11:50 AM
Vitto79

trade Rozy then we do and now its trade Wolski. Let the guy play for his next contract this yr and regardless of his play I am sure they do not qualify him next with all the good young F in the system

Vitto79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2011, 01:27 PM
gotmonte

I would LOVE it but I can see Tortorella now.. "You dont like to play for your coaches? You went into the media to talk $hit about your coach? Oh ok. I got something for your @ss.. Here is the press-box. You will sit there 3 games, play the 4th line 2 games, and then you will be put on waivers to see if we can clear half your cap right now, mr. I dont like to play for my coaches"

lol

gotmonte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-11-2011, 08:30 PM
Gaborikthebeast
THE CLAW

thought about the same thing but why not add christensen and ask for ryan white or a prospect in return since reports say montreal wants EC

Gaborikthebeast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-11-2011, 09:32 PM
n8
WAAAAAAA!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaborikthebeast View Post
thought about the same thing but why not add christensen and ask for ryan white or a prospect in return since reports say montreal wants EC
the hell? one month thread bump out of nowhere.

n8 is offline   Reply With Quote