HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Hockey News predicts Habs will finish 8th in East

Old
08-12-2011, 03:05 PM
Narg98

vCash: 500
YOU think they are overated, THEY think they're not. Depending of the point of view, I think it's a fair and logical ranking even if I think MTL will finnish higher.

You know, I also believe that the habs are overated around here ...

Narg98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2011, 03:14 PM
neofury*

All I care about is making those smug Sabres fans who posted here look stupid. Not the cool ones like Stasis, the ones that were talking a bunch of **** right out of their *****.

Also I have heard of Richards. But have you ever heard of the rest of the NYR squad which is ****?

neofury* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2011, 03:19 PM
irunthepeg
THE ONE WHO KNOCKS

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcv View Post
I'm not good at doing this, but they do have 6 proven 20 goals scorer. I'm not talking about some 1 time fluke, but year in, year out 20 goals scorer.

I think this team could get aroung 230 goals. Which gives them 2.8 GPG. With Carey having a GAA of about 2.2 it will be great!
Ah okay, so I'm not totally off by thinking this too. Speaking of fluke...

Quote:
Originally Posted by neofury View Post
All I care about is making those smug Sabres fans who posted here look stupid. Not the cool ones like Stasis, the ones that were talking a bunch of **** right out of their *****.

Also I have heard of Richards. But have you ever heard of the rest of the NYR squad which is ****?
I never really thought of this. They're largely the same squad besides adding Richards, are they not? Who's to say that Gaborik won't have another poor year. The same people who say Gomez will suck again next year are probably the same ones saying Gaborik will rebound...

irunthepeg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2011, 03:31 PM
McDonagh27

Quote:

I'm sorry to interrupt, but do you watch any games besides MTL games?

Gaborik (all star) , Staal (all star), Dubinsky (would have been second on your team in scoring), Callahan (same), Lundqvist (all star, gold medal winner)??!?!!?

I believe both teams are about equal, but to be mad because one is ranked above the other is a complete joke!!

McDonagh27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2011, 03:35 PM
Stop Winnin
TANK ON BOYS

Quote:

How is the rest of the NYR squad ****? Gaborik isn't playing with a scrub anymore, and they had a better offense than Montreal last year without Richards and a ****** Gaborik. They are certainly better if anything.

Stop Winnin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2011, 03:36 PM
Lafleurs Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by HabsUnited View Post
Again? It seems that every year our best case scenario is 8th, so this would be it. Now cue the 10 other magazines who rate us out of the playoffs. Screw 'em all, I say we beat 8th.
Every year we finish 7th or 8th... Can't blame them if that's where they've put us.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs23 View Post
LOL you guys crack me up! One publication keeps putting us 8th & you guys think it's written in stone. Where else do you think we belong 2nd? Toronto keeps getting placed 10th, ask them what they think.

Anyway somethings gotta give, because I seriously doubt Jersey has another bad year, they are way to good.
NJ could come roaring back and knock somebody else out. Carolina always seems to be there at the end too. I actually think NJ will make it and Buffalo won't.

This season though, I think we're actually underrated and I have us in 5th.

Lafleurs Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2011, 03:41 PM
MikeyPeenz

pretty safe and fair assumption about the habs if you ask me, we are usually rated between 6-8 over the past few off seasons, id give Florida a bit more lee-way though
and see them finishing between 10-12

MikeyPeenz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2011, 03:41 PM
habcat

I don't see the Flyers making the playoffs I think they've totally screwed the team up. Sabres, meh, we'll have to see.

habcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2011, 03:43 PM
BLONG7

If the Habs can stay healthy, they will finish in the top 4 if they have any key injuries as we have the last couple of seasons we finish in the bottom 4 or even 9-10th......staying healthy for a change is key...

BLONG7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2011, 03:46 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habsfan18 View Post
...according to their annual yearbook.

1. Washington (Stanley Cup Champs)
2. Pittsburgh
3. Boston
4. Philadelphia
5. Buffalo
6. Tampa Bay
7. New York Rangers
8. Montreal

9. Carolina
10. Toronto
11. New Jersey
12. New York Islanders
13. Winnipeg
14. Florida
15. Ottawa

Plus, here's our current top 10 prospects according to them:

1. Louis Leblanc
2. Nathan Beaulieu
3. Jarred Tinordi
4. Danny Kristo
5. Alexander Avtsin
6. Michael Bournival
7. Aaron Palushaj
8. Joonas Nattinen
9. Mark MacMillan
10. Brendan Gallagher

edit: There's also an article on Subban/Gill.
That seems accurate...if Markov blows another ACL and at least one of our core forwards misses 6-8 weeks.

THN is so predictable, they look at who made the biggest additions and boost them up the standings. Not sure why they didn't drop Phillie to 7th or 8th after losing the core of their team plus Pronger is approaching dinosaur stage.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLONG7 View Post
If the Habs can stay healthy, they will finish in the top 4 if they have any key injuries as we have the last couple of seasons we finish in the bottom 4 or even 9-10th......staying healthy for a change is key...
Last year they had a pile of injuries and still finished 6th.

Last edited by Habsfan18: 08-12-2011 at 04:17 PM. Reason: merged posts
Monctonscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2011, 03:58 PM
Player 61
#Winning

Send a message via AIM to Player 61
I'm predicting a Boston Hangover, a healthy Habs(knock on wood) team could win the division!

Player 61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2011, 03:58 PM
neofury*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kishire View Post
How is the rest of the NYR squad ****? Gaborik isn't playing with a scrub anymore, and they had a better offense than Montreal last year without Richards and a ****** Gaborik. They are certainly better if anything.
Never said they weren't better with Richards, I just see their D as garbage personally and don't think they'll go really far. Yeah they're better but Gaborik is Gaborik and Richards didn't exactly get Dallas into the post, he isn't going to carry that team entirely like people think. Anyways it's an opinion anyways, we'll wait and see. I don't feel adding Brad Richards alone makes them that much better a team. In my eyes their team already needed quite the face lift.

Aside from the 1st line Marc Staal and Lundqvist they don't impress me in the slightest and Marc Staal is extremely overrated as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anisimov42 View Post

Gaborik (all star) , Staal (all star), Dubinsky (would have been second on your team in scoring), Callahan (same), Lundqvist (all star, gold medal winner)??!?!!?

I believe both teams are about equal, but to be mad because one is ranked above the other is a complete joke!!
Gaborik - injury prone player who hasn't clicked in NYR
Staal - overrated more by the NYR fanbase than Gorges is by ours.
Dubinsky - good but overrated
Callahan - good but the most overrated player other than Staal in NYR
Lundqvist - awesome

You're the same ****** team you were last year except you've added Richards while everyone else got a lot better and were a flaky team to begin with. Easily could have seen rags not making it last year. Just because you added Richards is no guaranteed thing. Anyways wait for the season to start before disecting posts in threads on another teams fan forum. Frankly the Rags are garbage and I stand by that statement because I know they will be this year too. If it were the main forums I'd understand but why is it anytime a poster in this section posts stuff about an opposing team their little white knighter QQers have to come in and bash the opinion or defend it. I see them being the 8th place team and that's at best. Adding Richards a good player doesn't automatically make a bad team good. It isn't like you're going to change my opinion and just for the fact that you did that if NYR does suck I will rub it in using your post just because you felt the need to white knight in the habs section.

Lundqvist has been carrying that team for years now. How long can he do it for? Gaborik is an injury prone shadow of his former self who sucked for NYR. He used to produce at PPG pace in Minnesota. What part about him no longer doing that and looking like absolute **** on the ice is so hard for people to see?

Last edited by Habsfan18: 08-12-2011 at 04:17 PM. Reason: merged posts
neofury* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2011, 04:05 PM
Hackett
HF Needs Feeny

If I remember correctly, this is the 3rd straight year they picked montreal to finish 8th.

Montreal should be contending for the division this year. But with the parity in this league, I suppose that could even mean 8th, but I expect somewhere around 3-6.

The thing that makes me so confident is their ability to play compete when injuries arise, and I have a hard time believing that 2 of their top d-men will go down for the season by november again, never mind the other injuries. I also believe Carey Price stacks up with any other goalie in this league.

Hackett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2011, 04:05 PM
Patccmoi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lafleurs Guy View Post
Every year we finish 7th or 8th... Can't blame them if that's where they've put us.
You know, in the last 4 seasons where we made the playoffs, we finished 1st-8th-8th-6th. Not sure how that sums up to "always finish 7th or 8th".

Not to mention that the 2nd of these 4 seasons, we were #1 for a good while, and just totally collapsed after the all-star break, it's not like we were a team fighting for the 8th position all year long. And last year we were 6th, but we fought for the 3rd position most of the season and were never in any real danger of falling 8th-9th (except in the paranoid minds of some fans where they imagine a bad streak of 2-3 games stretching for 20 and a good streak of 2-3 games for another team meaning they won't lose till the end of the year).

The only season in the last 4 where we "fought" for the 8th spot most of the season is 2 years ago with an all new team, and that's actually the season where we got to conference finals.

Might be time to get over that stereotype of "being a 7th-8th place team". I think we did get past that point. Will see next season, in the end injuries remain the key factor for actual ranking these days.

Patccmoi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2011, 04:07 PM
Player 61
#Winning

Send a message via AIM to Player 61
The Rangers are the team most similar to us, so under/overeating them also means doing the same to the Habs. With that said, I'd take Marc Staal any-day of the week, right now even!

Player 61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2011, 04:07 PM
BLASPHEMOUS
**** THE KING

Who did they pick to face Washington in the final? Chances are that team will probably win the Stanley Cup.

BLASPHEMOUS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2011, 04:08 PM
Stop Winnin
TANK ON BOYS

Quote:
Never said they weren't better with Richards, I just see their D as garbage personally and don't think they'll go really far. Yeah they're better but Gaborik is Gaborik and Richards didn't exactly get Dallas into the post, he isn't going to carry that team entirely like people think. Anyways it's an opinion anyways, we'll wait and see. I don't feel adding Brad Richards alone makes them that much better a team. In my eyes their team already needed quite the face lift.

Aside from the 1st line Marc Staal and Lundqvist they don't impress me in the slightest and Marc Staal is extremely overrated as well.
Their defense allowed less goals than Montreal as well. I'm not saying they will be incredible or anything, but saying that their squad is ****** is kind of ignorant. If NY and Montreal compares rosters, they are actually very similar. Defensive minded systems with great goaltending and some questions on offense. If NY is ****** what is Montreal? But yeah, I guess we are all antsy for the season to start already.

Stop Winnin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2011, 04:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anisimov42 View Post

I don't know...I get the feeling next July 1st, the Rags will be trying to figure out how to unload more players to fit in the next big UFA to hit the market. Rangers have some good pieces on their team, but Sather operates that team like a kid on a PS3.

417 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2011, 04:19 PM
Habsfan18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Endersoldier View Post
Who did they pick to face Washington in the final? Chances are that team will probably win the Stanley Cup.
They have Washington beating Chicago in the Cup Finals.

Habsfan18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2011, 04:34 PM
JGRB
#EllerThugLife

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habsfan18 View Post
They have Washington beating Chicago in the Cup Finals.
I have yet to see anything out of Washington that leads me to believe they can be legitimate contenders. To me they are the San Jose of the Eastern conference, they always get proclaimed a top team if not contenders in the conference, always have a stellar regular season and ultimately always fizzle out in the playoffs.

I think if anything Pittsburgh is the one that is going to destroy the East, they did very well last season without their two best centers.. Imagine what they can accomplish while adding 2 100-point players and now have James Neal to compliment one or both of them. Very very dangerous team if Crosby returns to 100%.

JGRB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2011, 04:40 PM
Protest the Hero

Buffalo always manages to get the benefit of the doubt from these things, and Montreal is always the one they're pessimistic about.

Protest the Hero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2011, 04:44 PM
Hackett
HF Needs Feeny

Quote:
Originally Posted by JGRB View Post
I have yet to see anything out of Washington that leads me to believe they can be legitimate contenders. To me they are the San Jose of the Eastern conference, they always get proclaimed a top team if not contenders in the conference, always have a stellar regular season and ultimately always fizzle out in the playoffs.

I think if anything Pittsburgh is the one that is going to destroy the East, they did very well last season without their two best centers.. Imagine what they can accomplish while adding 2 100-point players and now have James Neal to compliment one or both of them. Very very dangerous team if Crosby returns to 100%.
their off season moves made them bigger, deep, stronger, and most importantly, much better and more proven in net.

I think they had the best off season out of anyone, and if boudreau cant bring this team together... say goodbye to him.

Hackett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2011, 04:51 PM
TheBuriedHab

I like our team. I say we will be competing for the division till the very end barring major injuries.

TheBuriedHab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2011, 05:04 PM
JGRB
#EllerThugLife

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hackett View Post
their off season moves made them bigger, deep, stronger, and most importantly, much better and more proven in net.

I think they had the best off season out of anyone, and if boudreau cant bring this team together... say goodbye to him.
To each their own. I'm not drinking the Kool-Aid.

At the end of the day it's going to hinge on certain players stepping up in the playoffs.

JGRB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2011, 05:46 PM
Ozymandias
#firetherrien

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kishire View Post
Their defense allowed less goals than Montreal as well. I'm not saying they will be incredible or anything, but saying that their squad is ****** is kind of ignorant. If NY and Montreal compares rosters, they are actually very similar. Defensive minded systems with great goaltending and some questions on offense. If NY is ****** what is Montreal? But yeah, I guess we are all antsy for the season to start already.
I see the Habs as more well-rounded. While both teams have good defensive systems and a great #1 goalie, the Rags have nothing to compare in the back end to what Markov and Subban can provide and IMO that's the key position in today's NHL, and while the Habs do not have high end elite talent like Richards and Gaborik up front, they do have more depth offensively and don't lack firepower, which evens out the contribution compared to NY.

Overall, there aren't that different, but IMO the Habs have the definitive edge.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JGRB View Post
To each their own. I'm not drinking the Kool-Aid.

At the end of the day it's going to hinge on certain players stepping up in the playoffs.
Me neither.

While, they did improve in the last 13 months on their most obvious flaws, which was defense and goaltending, I've never believed in the leadership core that was in place, primarly because of Ovy. If they do manage to get further this time around, I think a lot of the credit will have to go to Hamrlik, as he'll probably be of great help to their leadership issues.

Although will that be enough to bring them to promised land? I doubt it.

Last edited by Habsfan18: 08-12-2011 at 05:57 PM. Reason: merged posts
Ozymandias is offline   Reply With Quote