HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

van Riemsdyk head of the new pack of power forwards

Old
08-10-2011, 06:53 PM
tuckrr

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by tymed View Post
The participation in this thread has gotten out of hand...I would expect so from the official board crybabies, but Hfboards are usually a lot better.

If I could make a few points without quoting;

-It is okay to discuss a players' upside before he has shown it, or consistency for that matter. Just about every player ever to play the game at this level lacked consistency before they didn't...imagine that.

-JVR is going to be great. Anyone who doesnt see him as as 30-35+ scorer will be made pleasantly suprised. Anyone saying he his a 40+ lock will likely be unpleasantly put back on earth.

-Last year the only player to net 50 was Corey Perry....yes, the same Corey Perry who's previous career high was 32. These two aforementioned seasons also make up the only times he has eclipsed the 30 goal mark.

After seeing his performance this past spring, I am 100% sure that great things are to come from #21. He stepped onto that next plateau hard and long enough to realize how he was doing it and what it takes of him to do.

A player's statistics will always be directly correlated to the players around him and well....Giroux just happens to already be one of the best playmakers in the game and there is no denying that.

Someone with as little amount of question marks as JVR has left will have no problems at all finding the back of the net for 30+ a year. With 50 being no more out of the question than it would have been for Perry only a year ago.

He has the set to be one of the league's best wingers. but will he put it all together? I think so. Clearly there are plenty who don't.

Go Flyers.
wow. stop making so much sense, it hurts my brain!

tuckrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2011, 07:58 PM
Jim Schennson
Bros.

When/Where did Pronger say that JVR has 50 goal potential? Is there an article out there about it?

Jim Schennson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2011, 09:01 PM
esuhock22

My point in this thread is very simple and very easy to understand. JVR is not the most dangerous offensive threat on the Philadelphia Flyers, whether the Carter and Richards trades happened or not. Could he score 50 goals sure, could he never reach 30, sure. I'm not going to argue that, but he simply is not the most dangerous offensive player this team has.

esuhock22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2011, 09:29 PM
hockeyfreak7

And I havent heard the Pronger quote, but knowing Pronger, my guess is that he was being a little facetious.

hockeyfreak7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2011, 11:29 PM
tymed

I saw the quote from pronger...although looking back briefly i cant find it again.

the whole thing i dont get about this thread is how so many people dont give their own top prospects the benefit of the doubt.

while i dont think jvr is any kind of next generation talent, i think hes going to be great. and what excites me the most is that i see him as a fantastic go to guy with giroux especially 5 on 5. got a good feeling about them together they seem to be developing solid chemistry. im glad these 2 guys are being handed flagship because richy and carter never could play together in philly. even on the pp too. our powerplay will be a better place without them. god bless their souls.

heres to hoping...and already seeing that giroux and jvr could be go to guys together for us.

tymed is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2011, 11:43 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beefitor

vCash: 156
I don't doubt JVR's talent, I'm just not sure that this will be his monster season. I think he'll have a good season, but I think he still has a little more maturing to do.

In my opinion, the best case scenario is that he begins really putting it together towards the end of the season and starts showing some dominance.

With Richards and Carter gone, there's a lot more pressure on him to produce. Luckily, with Richards and Carter gone, he's going to get more opportunities to do so.

edit: as an example, it took Leclair about 5-6 seasons to really get rolling. I can see JVR taking 4-6 seasons to really hit his stride as well.

Last edited by Beef Invictus: 08-10-2011 at 11:52 PM.
Beef Invictus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2011, 01:33 AM
Dykhuis26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gert B Frobe View Post
JVR is not a true power forward like Ryan Clowe because he doesn't fight.

I don't use smileys
Leclair never dropped the gloves, but I would certainly categorize him as a power forward.

I still shudder thinking about how JVR absolutely dominated game 3 against the Bruins. If he plays like that half as often as Carter showed up he's going to have a hell of a year. 35-40 goals.

Dykhuis26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2011, 03:21 AM
Spongolium*
Potato Magician

People get way to caught up in the Power Forward argument. You don't need to fight to be a power forward. Lucic doesn't fight often either

Spongolium* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2011, 06:20 AM
BernieParent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spongolium View Post
People get way to caught up in the Power Forward argument. You don't need to fight to be a power forward. Lucic doesn't fight often either
While I agree with your first statement, I don't know why you picked Lucic to make your point. He had 7 fights last season and 34 in his career (source: hockeyfights.com). Compare that to Erik Cole, another in the PF class, who fought 7 times over 6 seasons.

BernieParent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2011, 09:35 PM
BobbyClarkeFan16

I think it's possible JVR could be the next Brian Propp - a multiple 30 and 40 goal scorer. The playoffs were his coming of age party. One season ago it was Giroux who had his ascension party and he had an excellent year this past season. I expect the same of Van Riemsdyk. There's no reason to believe that he can't be a 70+ point player next season. I'm just thinking of how good that line of JVR - Giroux and Jagr is going to be......

BobbyClarkeFan16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2011, 10:48 PM
esuhock22

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyClarkeFan16 View Post
I think it's possible JVR could be the next Brian Propp - a multiple 30 and 40 goal scorer. The playoffs were his coming of age party. One season ago it was Giroux who had his ascension party and he had an excellent year this past season. I expect the same of Van Riemsdyk. There's no reason to believe that he can't be a 70+ point player next season. I'm just thinking of how good that line of JVR - Giroux and Jagr is going to be......
I agree, especially him playing with Giroux I feel that even helps his chances. But I'm still not banking on him coming out this season like so many are. It's certainly no guarantee.

Old
08-12-2011, 03:06 AM
Spongolium*
Potato Magician

He certainly formed some chemistry with G down the stretch last year, and co-incidentally played his best hockey.

Spongolium* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2011, 03:21 PM
BobbyClarkeFan16

Quote:
Originally Posted by esuhock22 View Post
I agree, especially him playing with Giroux I feel that even helps his chances. But I'm still not banking on him coming out this season like so many are. It's certainly no guarantee.
Well, it's certainly going to help that he's going to get more than 14:23 of ice time per night this upcoming season. He'll also get more than just table scraps as well when it comes to Power Play time. This is a big year for JVR and I think he realizes it. There's a reason why when the season ended that the first thing he did was start planning his off season workouts with a strength and conditioning in northern New York. If Laviolette gives him crap for ice time again, then Laviolette needs to be canned.

BobbyClarkeFan16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2011, 04:19 PM
Ironmanrulez
Rookie Mistake

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=5...id=DL|NHL|home

Quote:
James van Riemsdyk, Philadelphia Flyers -- The Flyers took the 6-foot-3 New Jersey native with the second pick in the 2007 Entry Draft, one pick after Chicago grabbed Patrick Kane. But unlike the Hawks, who brought Kane to the NHL right away and have seen him turn into a star, the Flyers have been extremely patient with van Riemsdyk, who spent two seasons at the University of New Hampshire and has been allowed to mature gradually on a Philadelphia team loaded with talent up front.

Van Riemsdyk had 20 goals in a limited role last season and pumped in seven more in 11 playoff games. With the departures of Mike Richards and Jeff Carter, he figures to emerge as one of the Flyers' go-to players up front. He appears to have the maturity and confidence to go with his physical gifts, and the Flyers are expecting him to grow into the latest in their line of dominant power forwards.
One of seven candidates NHL.com mentioned as breakout players....

Hope so

Ironmanrulez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2011, 04:59 PM
esuhock22

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyClarkeFan16 View Post
Well, it's certainly going to help that he's going to get more than 14:23 of ice time per night this upcoming season. He'll also get more than just table scraps as well when it comes to Power Play time. This is a big year for JVR and I think he realizes it. There's a reason why when the season ended that the first thing he did was start planning his off season workouts with a strength and conditioning in northern New York. If Laviolette gives him crap for ice time again, then Laviolette needs to be canned.
If he plays with Giroux he will probably have to face the other teams top guys, which I'm curious to see how both handle.