HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

The Hockey News predicts Habs will finish 8th in East

Old
08-12-2011, 04:53 PM
UniverStalinGraduate*

vCash: 500
I don't see the habs finishing 8th. If injuries go really horribly for them they could miss the playoffs, but if they're healthy they'll be a top 4 (maybe even top 2) team in the East. 8th makes zero sense to me.

UniverStalinGraduate* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2011, 04:56 PM
Hackett
HF Needs Feeny

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozymandias View Post
Me neither.

While, they did improve in the last 13 months on their most obvious flaws, which was defense and goaltending, I've never believed in the leadership core that was in place, primarly because of Ovy. If they do manage to get further this time around, I think a lot of the credit will have to go to Hamrlik, as he'll probably be of great help to their leadership issues.

Although will that be enough to bring them to promised land? I doubt it.
The same questions were being asked of the red wings from early to mid 90's. It got to the point where Yzerman was on the brink of being traded as he was the whipping boy for all the previous failures.

But the big difference here is that the wings had bowman while the caps have boudreau.

Even if they might not have strong leadership (I'm not in the lockeroom), I think the goaltending upgrade alone can go a long way.

Hackett is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2011, 04:58 PM
macavoy

vCash: 243
Quote:
Originally Posted by JGRB View Post
To each their own. I'm not drinking the Kool-Aid.

At the end of the day it's going to hinge on certain players stepping up in the playoffs.
what, you don't believe Vokoun is more proven in net? He's been a beast in his 11 playoff games in 12 NHL seasons.

macavoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2011, 05:01 PM
UniverStalinGraduate*

Quote:
Originally Posted by macavoy View Post
what, you don't believe Vokoun is more proven in net? He's been a beast in his 11 playoff games in 12 NHL seasons.
Ahh, the age old argument of blaming a goalie for a lack of playoff success.

Always makes me chuckle with how illogical it is.

Vokoun is a very solid goaltender and his lack of playoff success shouldn't be placed on him at all.

Old
08-12-2011, 05:07 PM
Subban76

Habs finished 6th last year with a ton of big injuries to key players and an off year by many players and they add Cole and we are going to drop to 8th? Ya, really reliable this magazine

Habs are going to fight for 1st in the North East and I predict a 1st place finish in the division and a top 3 in the eastern conference if they avoid the big injuries to key players.

Subban76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2011, 05:10 PM
Habs

lol, you guys are like a bunch of little kids who got their feelings hurt, and now they don't want to play anymore. God help anyone who rates the Habs as an average team, which is exactly what we are.

Habs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2011, 05:14 PM
macavoy

Quote:
Originally Posted by UniverStalinGraduate View Post
Ahh, the age old argument of blaming a goalie for a lack of playoff success.

Always makes me chuckle with how illogical it is..
It's about as logical as blaming the last 2 playoff exits for the caps on goaltending. Goaltending hasn't been their problem the past 2 years. Their goalies have played as well in the playoffs as they have in the regular season.

Washington's problem in the playoffs have been their other players disappearing to a degree.

Getting minutely better in net doesn't solve that problem.

Old
08-12-2011, 05:17 PM
Miller Time

any prediction btw 5-10 is fairly easy to justify imo...

top-4 & out of the playoff picture (10+) are stretches either way and would require either everything going right or everything going wrong.

given the normal amount of injuries, positive performances/disapointing perfomances, our team is probably looking at another 6-8 finish, strong/deep enough to weather some tough stretches and remain a playoff team, but not strong/deep enough to contend for a home-playoff seed unless things go remarkably well.

we definitely have advantages due to goaltending (Price is one of top 2-3 goalies in the conference), chemistry (our opening day roster should be only minimaly different from last season), and a pretty strong system of play that gets the most out of the group (if not out of the individuals).

but our 5 on 5 scoring depth and overal team toughness is still questionable, our defensive depth is thin (2 players back from serious injury, 2 veterans on their last legs, 2 unproven young players) and we still lack that consistent offensive precense up front.

still not a contender, but with enough solid pieces to be considered a strong bet to make the playoffs and potentially upset some teams once we get there.

Miller Time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2011, 05:21 PM
UniverStalinGraduate*

Quote:
Originally Posted by macavoy View Post
It's about as logical as blaming the last 2 playoff exits for the caps on goaltending. Goaltending hasn't been their problem the past 2 years. Their goalies have played as well in the playoffs as they have in the regular season.

Washington's problem in the playoffs have been their other players disappearing to a degree.

Getting minutely better in net doesn't solve that problem.
In no way is it a minute improvement having Vokoun over Varlamov/Neuvirth/Holtby.

Washington is a weird team, that sweep to Tampa was one of the closest 4 game sweeps ever.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs View Post
lol, you guys are like a bunch of little kids who got their feelings hurt, and now they don't want to play anymore. God help anyone who rates the Habs as an average team, which is exactly what we are.
Why are the habs just an average team?

Old
08-12-2011, 05:35 PM
Habs

Quote:

Why are the habs just an average team?
They are an average playoff team, nothing spectacular. Injury problems with our forwards, Gomez is a mystery, which Cammallerri will show up this year, still a small team...

Lots of questions once again this year...

I think our defense is going to be an issue, Gill will get too much ice time, so will Spacek.

Old
08-12-2011, 05:37 PM
UniverStalinGraduate*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs View Post
They are an average playoff team, nothing spectacular. Injury problems with our forwards, Gomez is a mystery, which Cammallerri will show up this year, still a small team...

Lots of questions once again this year...

I think our defense is going to be an issue, Gill will get too much ice time, so will Spacek.
Sounds like a pessimistic way to look at things.

Injury problems with our forwards? Name me a team without that problem.

Gomez is a mystery? Indeed, but considering the injuries the team had and still mad the playoffs, if he can even be a 50 point guy than the team is looking a lot better

Which Cammalleri will show up this year? Probably the same beast who has been with the habs for 2 years now. Worth every cent of his 6 million

Defence might be an issue, or it might be an asset.

By the way, in terms of having nothing spectacular...Carey and Pernell wholeheartedly disagree with your statement.

Old
08-12-2011, 05:41 PM
Dean Ambrose
Just a little crazy

vCash: 133
Nothing new. Seems we're always there. With a healthy lineup, I can easily see us in the top 6 of the East this year.

Dean Ambrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2011, 06:29 PM
Habs

Quote:
Sounds like a pessimistic way to look at things.

Injury problems with our forwards? Name me a team without that problem.
This team seems to enjoy extended injuries to key players, year after year.

Quote:
Gomez is a mystery? Indeed, but considering the injuries the team had and still mad the playoffs, if he can even be a 50 point guy than the team is looking a lot better
Basing any hopes around Gomez is clearly not a good idea.

Quote:
Which Cammalleri will show up this year? Probably the same beast who has been with the habs for 2 years now. Worth every cent of his 6 million
Really? This is what we agree is acceptable for 6 million? 19 goals? Beastly? He is averaging 50 points, is that a good deal for 6 million? This is what we have come to appreciate in Montreal? Worth every cent? I like Cammy, but lets not pretend he hasn't been a little weak in the regular season, for that price tag.

Quote:
Defence might be an issue, or it might be an asset.

By the way, in terms of having nothing spectacular...Carey and Pernell wholeheartedly disagree with your statement.
Does Price play on the blueline now?

Old
08-12-2011, 06:35 PM
Player 61
#Winning

Send a message via AIM to Player 61
Who really knows whats happening with Markov-Gorges-Pax, they won't either until Exhibition season starts. Some people have them penciled in like robots, no issues with their bodies at all. Yemelin is also a ? he's unproven. They will make the playoffs & that's all that really counts.

Does it really matter if you finish 1st or 8th, home ice is nice, but sometimes it could be less pressure to start on the road.

Player 61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2011, 07:06 PM
neofury*

I'd be so happy if we had a healthy year! Would really stick it to the bashers and haters

neofury* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2011, 11:06 PM
BLASPHEMOUS
**** the King

vCash: 447
By any chance, does anyone know who they put in the top 10 players for the upcoming season?

As for the Habs ranking at number eight, I don't think it was ridiculous, on the contrary I find it's too conservative, as if THN can't get out of their comfort zone. Montreal does have an interesting team. It lacks a a defining star on offense, its defense is full of question marks, and a lot of Montreal's hopes ultimately fall upon a goalie who was at one point derided by the fans.

On the positive side, Montreal could very well have three good scoring lines, so long as some bouncebacks are made in the top-6. Defensively, they have a unit with tons of potential. And in nets, if Price keeps it up from last year, they have one of the game's best in nets.

So quite frankly, THN going with 8th place is an eye-roller.

BLASPHEMOUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2011, 11:15 PM
Lafleurs Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patccmoi View Post
You know, in the last 4 seasons where we made the playoffs, we finished 1st-8th-8th-6th. Not sure how that sums up to "always finish 7th or 8th".
You're not sure eh?

That 1st place season sticks out like a sore thumb and we were tied for sixth last year dude... Please don't nitpick for the hell of it. We've been a bubble team for a long time now. And btw, not sure why you're cherrypicking only the last 4 years. Go back further... we're 7th-9th and usually wind up with somewhere around 92 points. Please don't come here and pretend like the analysts have been way off the mark...
Quote:
Not to mention that the 2nd of these 4 seasons, we were #1 for a good while, and just totally collapsed after the all-star break, it's not like we were a team fighting for the 8th position all year long. And last year we were 6th, but we fought for the 3rd position most of the season and were never in any real danger of falling 8th-9th (except in the paranoid minds of some fans where they imagine a bad streak of 2-3 games stretching for 20 and a good streak of 2-3 games for another team meaning they won't lose till the end of the year).
Every team goes through hot and cold streaks... we've just been more bipolar than most. Spin it any way you want, we've been a bubble team and more often than not the analysts have been right about us. What matters is where you finish and we usually finish on the bubble.

We get picked 8th and people here take it as some kind of insult...

Quote:
The only season in the last 4 where we "fought" for the 8th spot most of the season is 2 years ago with an all new team, and that's actually the season where we got to conference finals.
With 88 points we had no business being in the playoffs to begin with. We were an awful team and it took Godlike goaltending to get us in the postseason to begin with. And without the Dryden like performance of Halak that year, we don't make it past the first round. You certainly can't blame the analysts for not believing in us. We didn't give them any reason to and ultimately, we've proven them to be mostly right.
Quote:
Might be time to get over that stereotype of "being a 7th-8th place team". I think we did get past that point. Will see next season, in the end injuries remain the key factor for actual ranking these days.
If you bothered to look, I have us in 5th this year.

But for those who are 'insulted' by the analysts taking us 8th, I'd say those folks need to give their head a shake. We're not locks to make the playoffs and it's going to be tight, esp if you believe (as some do) that NJ is going to be better this year. All the teams that are cited by THN could finish ahead of us and there's NJ to worry about. Although I'm more optimistic about our chances I can certainly see where they're coming from here.

Last edited by Lafleurs Guy: 08-12-2011 at 11:35 PM.
Lafleurs Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2011, 11:18 PM
sammy d

7th or 8th sounds just about right.

sammy d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2011, 11:26 PM
Lafleurs Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hackett View Post
The same questions were being asked of the red wings from early to mid 90's. It got to the point where Yzerman was on the brink of being traded as he was the whipping boy for all the previous failures.

But the big difference here is that the wings had bowman while the caps have boudreau.

Even if they might not have strong leadership (I'm not in the lockeroom), I think the goaltending upgrade alone can go a long way.
90s Wings and today's Caps are a good comparison. Unfortunately, the same might also be said of today's Caps and the Sens who were a great team but never became Cup champs. You make a good point though, the Sens never had anyone as good a Vokoun in nets and that should help.

If I were to put money on it, I'd bet on the Caps getting a cup with OV someday. Love to see it happen this year.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miller Time View Post
any prediction btw 5-10 is fairly easy to justify imo...

top-4 & out of the playoff picture (10+) are stretches either way and would require either everything going right or everything going wrong.
As usual, you're correct.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miller Time View Post
given the normal amount of injuries, positive performances/disapointing perfomances, our team is probably looking at another 6-8 finish, strong/deep enough to weather some tough stretches and remain a playoff team, but not strong/deep enough to contend for a home-playoff seed unless things go remarkably well.

we definitely have advantages due to goaltending (Price is one of top 2-3 goalies in the conference), chemistry (our opening day roster should be only minimaly different from last season), and a pretty strong system of play that gets the most out of the group (if not out of the individuals).

but our 5 on 5 scoring depth and overal team toughness is still questionable, our defensive depth is thin (2 players back from serious injury, 2 veterans on their last legs, 2 unproven young players) and we still lack that consistent offensive precense up front.

still not a contender, but with enough solid pieces to be considered a strong bet to make the playoffs and potentially upset some teams once we get there.
Price and Subban make me optimistic enough to rank us 5th. I think we'll do better than most expect.

But we could absolutely miss the playoffs if we have one of our classic slumps (which we were in the middle of doing last year before we picked up Wiz and he saved our season.)

Lafleurs Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2011, 12:29 AM
Analyzer
#WeAreBoston

Were there any readable articles, or just their usual steaming pile of **** ?

Seems they've been turning out worse and worse articles.

I'd tell you to stop getting them, but you collect them.

Analyzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2011, 01:08 AM
macavoy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Analyzer View Post
Were there any readable articles, or just their usual steaming pile of **** ?

Seems they've been turning out worse and worse articles.

I'd tell you to stop getting them, but you collect them.
How does that saying go again? I can't remember so I'll paraphrase, collectible **** is just ... Well **** when it comes down to it.

Old
08-13-2011, 01:36 AM
NewHabsEra*

So many things may happen.. Is Crosby doing well? How will Malkin react after a such injury? How will the Flyers react to the lost of Richards and Carter this year? How if Gomez comes back with a decent season and that our 3rd line can support our top 2 lines? What if Markov comes back at a good level? What if one of Emelin Diaz improve every game? I think alot of things may affect the standing, I see the Habs among the best teams in the East, anything may happen, especially with a goaltender like Price in the net and a growing superstar like Subban at the blueline.. At the moment I think we lack a top 4 defenseman but I wouldnt be surprised to see one of our kids being close to assume this role.. We lack top end talent down the middle and some size on the fourth line but thats it, we have alot of depth up front and I think our chances are good to be a top 5 team in the East..

NewHabsEra* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2011, 06:02 AM
Gally11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Narg98 View Post
Ok, so I guess you think it's statu quo for New York and Buffalo. Have you heard of a guy named Brad Richards ? Maybe Regehr, Leino, Kotalik and Ehroff ring a bell.
Defense is nice but you need to score goals.. In NYR case it's the opposite, they're pretty thin on D.. We are too but at least our top 2 D have elite talent and potential elite talent for the upcoming season

Gally11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2011, 06:58 AM
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackZap View Post
shocker...lol but if Lombardi is healthy wouldnt be surprised if Leafs squeak in. That was a weird trade from Nsh
They cleared money to sign Weber

Those are the 8 teams I see in the playoffs when it's all said and done, Devils and Leafs will push hard as well

Habs 4 Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2011, 08:23 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs23 View Post
The Rangers are the team most similar to us, so under/overeating them also means doing the same to the Habs. With that said, I'd take Marc Staal any-day of the week, right now even!
Staal is a solid d-man but he isn't in the same stratosphere as Markov or Subban skillwise. His overratedness borders on Lucic-like.

Monctonscout is offline   Reply With Quote