HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

[THE INSTIGATOR] Open letter to Geoff Molson

Old
08-11-2011, 07:17 PM
Dutchy

vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to Dutchy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Habsterix View Post

Either Chris Higgins gained a **** load of weight or he has a fatter brother? (guy in the middle)

Dutchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2011, 09:14 PM
Habsterix*
@Habsterix

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozymandias View Post
I didn't know journalists had to be part of a conspiracy to do some yellow journalism, especially since most Russian journalists don't miss a turn in taking a shot at the NHL. It's called common ideology, and has absolutely nothing to do with conspiracy theories, only someone trying to fog arguments would use this term. Your use of the term is extremely childish. Grow-up, buddy.

I'll give you a quick lesson in playing with words :

Journalist : Did you get along with Jacques Martin?

AK : We didn't always see eye to eye, but I respected his decisions.

Journalist writes 'AK and Martin don't get along'

What you buy and don't buy into, all has to do with your personal bias. I can prove that with many solid arguments, but it would be a waste of time, because you'll again try to brand it with a catch phrase instead of trying to retort to the actual logic behind it. Case in point, you offer NOTHING to counter it. Just plain statement of your 'belief'.

I don't have a bias. I look at facts, patterns, underlying ideological currents, and this kind of news is to be taken with a grain of salt. Only someone with an agenda would take this for actual cash. Case in point, all the people coming out of the woodwork to either bash AK or Martin, or both.
That's quite ironic, especially the part I've put in bold.

Here's a concept that might just be as truthful as what your fabrication, what you're trying to create:

What if the interview was conducted exactly like it was reported? How dare people reporting what's being said, right? Doesn't it have as much (if not more) weight as making things up?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutchy View Post
Either Chris Higgins gained a **** load of weight or he has a fatter brother? (guy in the middle)
LMAO!

Habsterix* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2011, 09:29 AM
neofury*

The guy in the middle looks like he could be related to them. Do most Belarussians look like doofuses?

neofury* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2011, 09:43 AM
Fozz

The Instigator? Be original man... It's been done before.

Fozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2011, 10:13 AM
Habs10Habs
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Haha, thanks Dutchy. You definitely made my day.

08-12-2011, 10:34 AM
habfan1968

vCash: 50
AK destined for 3rd linde duties?

After reading most of this thread and how most of you seem to believe in AK so much I wondered if I was wrong in not having the same belief. I think AK will be playing on the third with Eller for most of the season, effectively giving us 3 offensive/defensive forward lines. I had hoped to see a little more balanced scoring threat by rolling 3 and having White Moen + on the 4ht for a bit of a tough energy line. I can't see AK getting a crack at the top 6 unless injuries happen, he would be the first winger to move up though.

So, all that being said, I checked into the "what would your last moves, projected lineup be" thread. Overwhelmingly, posters put AK on the third line with Eller, as I had as well. That says to me even though there is much criticizing him, we are planning the same thing Martin is planning, which according to most of the posters on this thread is mishandling AK and using him incorrectly.

In that thread posters, in the first 10 pages only, placed AK on the third line 30.5 times and placed him on the 1st line with pleks 2.5 times. the .5 comes from a poster that projected 2 line ups with AK going from the 3rd to in one line up and on the 1st in his other line up.

habfan1968 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2011, 10:38 AM
Erik Estrada
One Country United!

Quote:
Dutchy you're a genius. lol

Erik Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2011, 10:55 AM
Habsterix*
@Habsterix

@habsinsideout1: I say, put AK46 in coach Martin's foursome for #Habs golf tournament next month. A nice 18-hole chat for some bonding.

Old
08-12-2011, 01:00 PM
Ozymandias
#firetherrien

Quote:
That's quite ironic, especially the part I've put in bold.

Here's a concept that might just be as truthful as what your fabrication, what you're trying to create:

What if the interview was conducted exactly like it was reported? How dare people reporting what's being said, right? Doesn't it have as much (if not more) weight as making things up?
That's exactly what you don't get. I'm not trying to create anything. If you remove yourself from the equation, remove your ego, you will find that they're can be two sides to this, effectively making any conclusion completely based upon your bias.

I don't use bias, I don't even conclude anything on this, I see known facts and ideologies and know that concluding over this would just be use of bias.

The true irony is the actual argument you gave, that it has happened before. It's ironic, because, yes, it has happened many many times before where Russian sports media write their articles with the KHL angle in mind.

The proof is in the pudding, as you regard this as 'making something up", whereas the actual thing I'm doing is an appeal to some restraint in people's conclusions, as Russian media have conclusively shown negative bias towards the NHL and positive bias towards the KHL.

Instead of understanding this, taking it in and acknowledging it for what it is, you again try to paint it as something else, just like I predicted you would.

You know nothing about being objective, nothing about how to remove yourself from the equation for a true analysis. That much has always been clear.

The other telling sign that you won't remove your own bias, making your conclusion highly subjective in nature, is that you disregard ALL the other people who've said exactly the same thing as I did, to take this with a grain of salt, and that's my own 'restrained' conclusion, the only one I make. Yet you disregard it, and everyone of them, because having a little bit of restraint in your conclusion in this matter doesn't fit your bias, so you rather avoid the arguments, paint it for something it is not, and keep on basing a whole reality on something that can very well be false.

You don't want to recognize that the journalist might have a bias, because it would then eliminate your own conclusions based on your own bias.

So far, all you've done is act childishly. The way you try to paint what I say as something it is not.

Last edited by Ozymandias: 08-12-2011 at 01:07 PM.
Ozymandias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2011, 01:03 PM
overlords
Global Moderator
Jack Arse

Quote:
@habsinsideout1: I say, put AK46 in coach Martin's foursome for #Habs golf tournament next month. A nice 18-hole chat for some bonding.

I want them to do a 'nos canadiens' episode with andrei. I can feed off awkwardness in social situations, and this would make me unstoppable.

"overlords is one of my favorite people on this entire site." - Hfboards
overlords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2011, 05:02 PM
Habsterix*
@Habsterix

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozymandias View Post
That's exactly what you don't get. I'm not trying to create anything. If you remove yourself from the equation, remove your ego, you will find that they're can be two sides to this, effectively making any conclusion completely based upon your bias.

I don't use bias, I don't even conclude anything on this, I see known facts and ideologies and know that concluding over this would just be use of bias.

The true irony is the actual argument you gave, that it has happened before. It's ironic, because, yes, it has happened many many times before where Russian sports media write their articles with the KHL angle in mind.

The proof is in the pudding, as you regard this as 'making something up", whereas the actual thing I'm doing is an appeal to some restraint in people's conclusions, as Russian media have conclusively shown negative bias towards the NHL and positive bias towards the KHL.

Instead of understanding this, taking it in and acknowledging it for what it is, you again try to paint it as something else, just like I predicted you would.

You know nothing about being objective, nothing about how to remove yourself from the equation for a true analysis. That much has always been clear.

The other telling sign that you won't remove your own bias, making your conclusion highly subjective in nature, is that you disregard ALL the other people who've said exactly the same thing as I did, to take this with a grain of salt, and that's my own 'restrained' conclusion, the only one I make. Yet you disregard it, and everyone of them, because having a little bit of restraint in your conclusion in this matter doesn't fit your bias, so you rather avoid the arguments, paint it for something it is not, and keep on basing a whole reality on something that can very well be false.

You don't want to recognize that the journalist might have a bias, because it would then eliminate your own conclusions based on your own bias.

So far, all you've done is act childishly. The way you try to paint what I say as something it is not.
You're so way off base that you're not in the same ballpark. Is it possible that the reporter reported what Kostitsyn said, without bias?

The Kovalev stories proved, over time, to be true even if he denied them back in 2007. Yet, not having learned anything from it, he came back and went after Clouston and the Ottawa media. That's quite the agenda they have out there, isn't it? Did the reporters do that to get Kovy in the KHL? He was already signed there! But Kovy is innocent, just like AK. Bad, bad russian media!

As for the bias, I don't know how many times I have to repeat it for you to understand: I'm not taking sides as I dislike Martin more than Kostitsyn!

Last edited by Crimson Skorpion: 08-12-2011 at 07:21 PM. Reason: took out last part, no need for it
Old
08-12-2011, 07:11 PM
Ozymandias
#firetherrien

Quote:
You're so way off base that you're not in the same ballpark. Is it possible that the reporter reported what Kostitsyn said, without bias?
Saying your first sentence was easy, proving it is another thing, which you didn't do. As for the last sentence, if you read anything I said, you'd realize that I don't discount it either. I have to, again, state my main assertion, to take this report with a grain of salt, and like Neofury suggested, wait for us to have a direct translation from the audio tape. Why do you think people ask for caution over this? The answer is in the following part, in bold :

Quote:
The Kovalev stories proved, over time, to be true even if he denied them back in 2007.
His name is Andrei Kostitsyn, not Alexei Kovalev, it is also not the same journalist, and also, as much as Habs-basher and Kovalev-basher (in those years) extraordinaire, François Gagnon, always claimed that it was true, yet no one has heard the famous tape, yet.

What has been proven over time is that Russian journalists have a pro-KHL bias.

That's why people, not just me, but several posters have cautioned over this. In this thread, and the other one.

Quote:
Yet, not having learned anything from it, he came back and went after Clouston and the Ottawa media.
Kovalev made those comments AFTER he left Ottawa, and it's not the first time a player does that...

Quote:
That's quite the agenda they have out there, isn't it?
Being obtuse won't get you anywhere. You think you're smart, but all you're offering is a non sequitur here.

Kovalev making those comments about Clouston is 1- not proof that AK actually said what the journalist reported yesterday and 2- is not proof that Russian sports journalists don't have a pro-KHL bias

That's why it is a non sequitur. See what I did here? That's how mature adults do it. Mature adults don't try to disregard inconvenient arguments by using derogative labels (such as conspiracy theory) and adding nothing to support those claims. What mature adults do is respond point by point and offer substance to their assertions and rebuttals.

Quote:
Did the reporters do that to get Kovy in the KHL? He was already signed there! But Kovy is innocent, just like AK. Bad, bad russian media!
Never said Kovy was innocent. Again, I need to state the simple fact that his name is Andrei Kostitsyn, not Alex Kovalev. What one does, does not equate to the other. Only someone with a huge bias or something else I won't say, would make such a huge jump in logic. As for the last bolded part, you're still proving how childish you are. I never said neither were innocent and I never said anything about the Russian media, other than they had a pro-KHL bias. You're putting words into my mouth, and you're gonna pretend that it's not childish, right? Because it's just easier this way for you, you can pretend to yourself that you've actually proved something with proving anything.

The only point of relation between the two is negative comments reported by the Russian media while both played for the Habs. Don't become a lawyer, because all you're offering is conjecture here. Again, you're gonna try to defend this by twisting my words and intent, when all I'm doing is standing on the fense and telling you that your conclusions are driven by your bias, and that any conclusion should be forestalled because of the reasons stated before.

All you're also offering is a complete ignorance of what I wrote. Too lazy to read, or actually take the time to take in the information? Since it should've been clear by my last post that I don't discount the story, that my own conclusion is to take it with a grain of salt, and yet you infer that I don't take in the possibility it might be true. This proves just how little you pay attention to what I write, and you're only looking to validate your own bias.

And here is a fine example of your lack of attention :

Quote:
As for the bias, I don't know how many times I have to repeat it for you to understand: I'm not taking sides as I dislike Martin more than Kostitsyn!
Did you forget the part where I wrote that people use this as an excuse for their bias towards either AK, or Martin, or both.... I mean, how many times do I have to repeat that? Where did I write that your bias had anything to do with AK? Bias is a general word, y'know, and when I'm talking of your 'bias', you're the one concluding I'm talking of AK, yet bias is simply prejudice over an outlook, which you did. Saying that you have a bias towards this issue doesn't necessarily mean I'm talking of AK, but that the bias can be regarding something else, and in this case, quite probably Martin, but I won't go there, and haven't either, I don't care what your bias is centered on, all I know is that I do see bias from you, because you stubbornly refuse to look at the whole picture. People with a bias do that.

Last edited by Crimson Skorpion: 08-12-2011 at 07:20 PM. Reason: play nice
Ozymandias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2011, 08:15 PM
beowulf
Poster of the Year!

Send a message via MSN to beowulf
Quote:
Originally Posted by otto bond View Post
Nice read but it's missing something......a young sniper...or a potential 100pts player. We have our goalie and stud Dman but a young sniper????
Please tell me how many of these exist these days?

beowulf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-18-2011, 08:50 AM
Habsterix*
@Habsterix

NHL discipline: Possible solution

NHL discipline: Possible solution

Since the beginning of time, when hockey started becoming a competitive sport, there have been infractions. That’s how the rules evolved, based on events happening on the ice, in ways to try to improve on the quality of the spectacle. Some of those infractions were deemed “over-the-top” and that’s when suspensions started to be handed out.

Over the years, the NHL has been plagued with what seemed like unfair calls, and it became even more evident to fans when it came to suspensions. Sure that bias played a role in the fans’ claims, but some calls left many people scratching their heads. Who has not heard or read about the suspension handed to the Rocket Richard, leading to the well documented riot?

With technology being what it is now, every action by a player towards another is being examined, scrutinized, not only by the media but by fans as well. Videos pop on Youtube almost as quickly as instant replays, or so it seems. Debates amongst friends and foes follow suit in an attempt to determine if the action deserves a suspension or not.

For too long now, the NHL has relied on a single man to decide on the severity of a players’ action, and if he should or not be suspended, as well as how long this suspension should be. This has been controversial dating back as far as I can remember and it’s certainly no different today.

Read more: NHL discipline: Possible solution

Old
08-18-2011, 03:51 PM
macavoy

vCash: 243
There is one major flaw with your proposal, it's fine if you want a fair & just society but the NHL isn't an entertainment business and the businesses with hundreds of millions of dollars will need to put business ahead of fairness.

macavoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-18-2011, 09:40 PM
neofury*

That's a pretty twisted view though if I may say so. I mean that's not far off from just saying the NHL should be able to rig the game in order to make more money. Preposterous.

I don't think how much the NHL stands to make or lose should factor simply because then whose to say by one team winning the cup the NHL doesn't stand to make more money, they won't be fair for suspending one team but they will with the other? That's ridiculous really.

I know a lot of people agree a committee would be ideal.

Old
08-18-2011, 11:10 PM
Rscorpio
Epic Meal Time!

[QUOTE=Habsterix;35849007]

wonder if he's allergic to bees....

Rscorpio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-19-2011, 07:54 AM
macavoy

Quote:
Originally Posted by neofury View Post
That's a pretty twisted view though if I may say so. I mean that's not far off from just saying the NHL should be able to rig the game in order to make more money. Preposterous.

I don't think how much the NHL stands to make or lose should factor simply because then whose to say by one team winning the cup the NHL doesn't stand to make more money, they won't be fair for suspending one team but they will with the other? That's ridiculous really.

I know a lot of people agree a committee would be ideal.
You can call it a twisted or proposterous view but it's reality. There is a double standard, scrubs get significcantly longer suspensions than star players. It's not a coincidence. Those lots of people who want a committee but they don't have $100+m invested in the game.

Old
08-19-2011, 01:37 PM
Dutchy

Send a message via ICQ to Dutchy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs10Habs View Post
Haha, thanks Dutchy. You definitely made my day.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Erik Estrada View Post
Dutchy you're a genius. lol
Stop it guys, you're going to make me blush...

Dutchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-19-2011, 01:50 PM
neofury*

Quote:
Originally Posted by macavoy View Post
You can call it a twisted or proposterous view but it's reality. There is a double standard, scrubs get significcantly longer suspensions than star players. It's not a coincidence. Those lots of people who want a committee but they don't have $100+m invested in the game.
Whether or not it's the system in place I can't say, sure seems like it. But it's definitely preposterous to say the least because that 100$m+ shouldn't weigh into the decision on suspending a player or not.

Money is important for sure it is a business but sports aren't supposed to be rigged like that. I mean if that's the case that the NHL is willing to allow somebody not to be suspended in order to make money whose to stop them from just paying players to purposely suck and/or lose. Throw a game in other words. It's not like it's legal in boxing or UFC for somebody to throw a fight in order to make themselves more money, I certainly wouldn't deem it acceptable if they do so in order to make the UFC more money either. So why is it okay for the NHL to do the same thing but in terms of not suspending a guy who clearly deserved it.

Now luckily the hit wasn't in say 1st round game 3. But it definitely had an impact on our season and maybe even on the Bruins actually making it past the first round. We'll never know but if you agree with this kind of system I must say it is definitely twisted from a fan perspective. I think we can both agree that it really isn't fair to do that, now whether or not that's the reasoning I won't even argue it, I think it's one of the many potential reasons.

In this case I think it had more to do with bias than the $ they'd lose because Chara for 2-5 games in the regular season is meaningless to them. Those tickets are still going to sell.

I find that quite frustrating though honestly, how the NHL has favoritism toward certain teams and players. It really isn't right imo. Part of the reason I hate baseball is because of the fact that no salary cap = favors rich teams. Now obviously in the NHL finances cause problems for teams too even with a cap but without one it just limits the amount of competitiveness throughout the league. I don't like that how it's an 8 team game year after year and it's always the same 8 teams.

Old
08-21-2011, 09:27 PM
Habsterix*
@Habsterix

Quote:
There is one major flaw with your proposal, it's fine if you want a fair & just society but the NHL isn't an entertainment business and the businesses with hundreds of millions of dollars will need to put business ahead of fairness.
I want what's best for the game and what's good for the game certainly isn't what Bettman is thinking.

Old
08-22-2011, 08:47 AM
macavoy

Quote:
I want what's best for the game and what's good for the game certainly isn't what Bettman is thinking.
Well make a few hundred million dollars and buy a team so you can have your say then.

Old
08-22-2011, 10:03 AM
Habsterix*
@Habsterix

Quote:
Well make a few hundred million dollars and buy a team so you can have your say then.
Oh I see. We need to own a team to have an opinion now, and to voice our displeasure with the system currently in place?

Old
08-27-2011, 01:48 PM
Habsterix*
@Habsterix

What is the impact of local players on the Canadiens?

A never ending topic, a discussion coming back to the table periodically, is the one about the number of players from Quebec with the Canadiens as when they won Stanley Cups, the Quebecois contingent was always strong and many were important contributors. Last year, the Canadiens started the season with 3 local products in their ranks: Maxim Lapierre, Mathieu Darche and Alexandre Picard. We know the story with Lapierre and thankfully, David Desharnais saved the day although he only played 12 minutes per game on average. The year before, the Habs started the season with Guillaume Latendresse, Georges Laraque and Maxim Lapierre. Some fans did everything in their power to chase Latendresse and Laraque out of town and we know what happened. We can be “thankful” for Markov’s injury as that’s when Marc-André Bergeron was offered a contract, and the late call-up of Darche.

But why is this happening? Some “influent” people (and I put it in quotation marks as a decision maker is part of it, Jacques Martin) are meeting at a summit on hockey to discuss the topic. It is a fact that the QMJHL doesn’t seem to be competitive at the Memorial Cup, that there are less and less players from the “Q” being drafted for a few years now and that’s an issue that Gilles Courteau doesn’t take lightly, in collaboration with Hockey Quebec. It is also true that there are fewer and fewer Quebecois in the NHL but the teams who have them seem to appreciate being able to count on them. Whether it’s Luongo, Burrows, Brodeur, Gagné, Brière, Pominville, Bergeron (Patrice), Vermette, Robidas, Ribeiro, Bouchard, Bouillon, Lombardi, Vlasic, Demers, Perron, Lecavalier, St-Louis, Veilleux, Beauchemin, Bélanger, Stastny, Dupuis, Talbot, Letang or Fleury, we’re talking about players contributing to their team’s success!

But why this phenomena?

Is it due to the economy? Is it because kids now days have so many other choices of sports? The economy and the choices are similar in other provinces, and those provinces don’t seem to suffer as much looking at Team Canada Junior’s success, and the number of players drafted from the WHL and OHL. Unfortunately, some prefer crying discrimination, choosing to blame others instead of facing the problem by looking in the mirror.

I have my theory…

Read more: What is the impact of local players on the Canadiens?

Last edited by Habsterix*: 08-27-2011 at 02:04 PM.
Old
08-27-2011, 01:59 PM
Forsead

Quote:
[CENTER]

But why is this happening? Some “influent” people (and I put it in quotation marks as a decision maker is part of it, Jacques Martin) are meeting at a summit on hockey to discuss the topic. It is a fact that the QMJHL doesn’t seem to be competitive at the Memorial Cup, that there are less and less players from the “Q” being drafted for a few years now and that’s an issue that Gilles Courteau doesn’t take lightly, in collaboration with Hockey Quebec. It is also true that there are fewer and fewer Quebecois in the NHL but the teams who have them seem to appreciate being able to count on them. Whether it’s Luongo, Burrows, Brodeur, Gagné, Brière, Pominville, Bergeron (Patrice), Vermette, Robidas, Ribeiro, Bouchard, Bouillon, Lombardi, Bissonnette, Vlasic, Demers, Perron, Lecavalier, St-Louis, Veilleux, Beauchemin, Bélanger, Stastny, Dupuis, Talbot, Letang or Fleury, we’re talking about players contributing to their team’s success!
[/url]
Players in bold are either not Quebecois or total scrubs that should'nt be on your list.

Forsead is offline   Reply With Quote