HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Prospects
Notices

Prospects Discuss hockey prospects from all over the world and the NHL Draft.

WHL Dmen in 2012 - Official Thread

Old
08-04-2011, 05:28 PM
R S
Renegade Stylings

vCash: 4250
WHL Dmen in 2012 - Official Thread

The 2012 draft is going to be huge for blueliners...especially in the WHL. Even taking a look at this summer's Ivan Hlinka squad, 4 of the defenceman are from the WHL, Griffin Reinhart, Matt Dumba, Derrick Pouliot and Morgan Rielly.

That doesn't even touch on Ryan Murray, who played on the team last year as a very young 1993. He didn't look out of place at all, playing up to his competition during that event as well.

That also doesn't include players like Jaynen Rissling, Damon Severson, Dalton Thrower, Reid Gow and whoever else might make their way out of the woodwork. It also doesn't even touch on guys playing in other CHL leagues, the US or in Europe.

With those high calibre guys mentioned above, I wouldn't be shocked if there were 5 WHL defenseman taken in the top 12-15 picks next June.

Talk about a scary thought. I can't wait to see how it all unfolds.

Last edited by R S: 08-04-2011 at 05:43 PM.
R S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2011, 05:35 PM
StrongIslanders90

vCash: 500
Beasts.....Teams have a very good chance at getting a few future top 4's in the 1st round....With a few potential Studs....

StrongIslanders90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2011, 05:43 PM
Confound
-Vindicated-

I hope the Bruins draft another solid stud defenseman much like Hamilton, maybe he won't be as good potential wise but we need another D man in the pool.

Confound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2011, 05:45 PM
R S
Renegade Stylings

Quote:
Originally Posted by BewareoftheBear View Post
I hope the Bruins draft another solid stud defenseman much like Hamilton, maybe he won't be as good potential wise but we need another D man in the pool.
I think all of the big 5 in the WHL could have as much potential as Hamilton. A big statement, but it could very well be true.

Old
08-04-2011, 05:55 PM
AidanPhalen13*

Does anyone think Geoff Shemitsch is good enough play in the A this year?

AidanPhalen13* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2011, 06:03 PM
S E P H
@Krzysztof_WHL

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Renegade Stylings View Post
I think all of the big 5 in the WHL could have as much potential as Hamilton. A big statement, but it could very well be true.
Murray - Niedermayer (I would take over Hamilton)
Reinhart - Seabrook? (I would take over Hamilton)
Dumba - Phaneuf (Equal to Hamilton, but I think I would prefer Hamilton)
Pouliot - Cumiskey (I prefer Hamilton)
Rielly - JM Liles (I prefer Hamilton)

S E P H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2011, 07:11 PM
smokes lets go

Does anyone have any Ryan Murray videos'? There are next to none on youtube

smokes lets go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2011, 07:25 PM
S E P H
@Krzysztof_WHL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gripper View Post
Does anyone have any Ryan Murray videos'? There are next to none on youtube
Well I can tell you is he's a extremely smart player with very smooth skating and awareness that of a all-star playmaker.

Old
08-04-2011, 10:34 PM
prongertheman9

Could this years crop challenge the 2003 crop of Coburn, Phaneuf, Seabrook, Weber and Byfuglien? Now that is a scary thought!

prongertheman9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2011, 11:14 PM
CerebralGenesis

I might take Dumba over Hamilton, I really like Hamilton too

CerebralGenesis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2011, 12:08 AM
DangerMan
@danlizee

Those 5 Dmen (Murray, Reinhart, Dumba, Rielly, Pouliot) are probable first rounders, possibly even top 20. Its a good year to be looking for Dmen.

Plenty of players have been wrongly compared to Scott Niedermayer over the years, but Ryan Murray actually does look like Scott Niedermayer. Its uncanny. All the mannerisms are there.

DangerMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2011, 03:41 AM
pdxshark
@jmbradd

Another kid who has impressed me is Josh Hanson. He was kept on a very tight leash last season because I think the hawks want to develop him slowly.

Good kid, graduated high school with honors at 16 (prior to last hockey season). Not as flashy a player as the others but he's definitely a player i'd look out for if he gets more ice time and puts it all together.

Ryan Murray is nothing short of phenomenal. You hear the hyperbole year after year about how X player is a future superstar but I have not been as impressed with a prospect I've viewed live as I have with Ryan Murray. Complete defenseman and doesn't seem to lack in any area.

pdxshark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2011, 09:11 AM
Sore Loser
Since 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdxshark View Post
Another kid who has impressed me is Josh Hanson. He was kept on a very tight leash last season because I think the hawks want to develop him slowly.

Good kid, graduated high school with honors at 16 (prior to last hockey season). Not as flashy a player as the others but he's definitely a player i'd look out for if he gets more ice time and puts it all together.

Ryan Murray is nothing short of phenomenal. You hear the hyperbole year after year about how X player is a future superstar but I have not been as impressed with a prospect I've viewed live as I have with Ryan Murray. Complete defenseman and doesn't seem to lack in any area.
I'm glad you touched on Hanson, he's a guy that gets frequently overlooked on that deep Portland team. With a good enough season, Hanson could go as high as the second round. Very intriguing prospect.

I think Ryan Murray is going to be a franchise defenseman in the NHL - a guy who isn't going to dominate with his numbers, but will consistently show up on a nightly basis and just do everything right.

Sore Loser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2011, 10:19 AM
Sore Loser
Since 2009

A brief article

This is an article I just wrote with a sneak peak at our top-10 in the WHL for the upcoming season, as well as some honorable mentions to guys who could possibly work their way up.

http://www.thescoutingreport.org/201...draft-outlook/

Lots more to come on these guys as the season wears on.

Old
08-12-2011, 10:37 AM
R S
Renegade Stylings

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoChiefsGo View Post
This is an article I just wrote with a sneak peak at our top-10 in the WHL for the upcoming season, as well as some honorable mentions to guys who could possibly work their way up.

Nice piece.

Are you new to TSR? I know they recently had two scouts/writers leave them.

Old
08-12-2011, 11:30 AM
Pick Six
@Lafortune_FC

Quote:
With those high calibre guys mentioned above, I wouldn't be shocked if there were 5 WHL defenseman taken in the top 12-15 picks next June.

Talk about a scary thought. I can't wait to see how it all unfolds.
It should be interesting to see how it holds up to the 2008 Draft for OHL defensemen. 3 in the top 4. 5 in the first round, 6 if you include Carlson.

Pick Six is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2011, 11:46 AM
R S
Renegade Stylings

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pick Six View Post
It should be interesting to see how it holds up to the 2008 Draft for OHL defensemen. 3 in the top 4. 5 in the first round, 6 if you include Carlson.
I doubt we see 3 in the top 4 but I wouldn't be shocked at all to see 5 WHL defenders taken in the first round. I would be a large sum of money on it, in fact.

Old
08-12-2011, 12:08 PM
Pick Six
@Lafortune_FC

Quote:
I doubt we see 3 in the top 4 but I wouldn't be shocked at all to see 5 WHL defenders taken in the first round. I would be a large sum of money on it, in fact.
I'm sure that's the case now (I'd agree), and I don't doubt you when it comes to WHL prospects. But it's very early still, we'll have to see how the year plays out.

Pick Six is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2011, 12:12 PM
KingJet*
Welcome Back

Also watch out for Travis Brown of the Moose Jaw Warriors and Travis Hamonic of Tri-City, Brown was cut from the U-17 when he shouldn't of though.

KingJet* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2011, 01:02 PM
Manny*

I really want the Sens to draft a defenceman with their first pick. This past draft really did wonders for our forward depth with guys like Zibanejad, Noesen, Puempel and Prince.

A guy like Reinhart would really round out our defence prospects.

Cowen - Karlsson
Reinhart - Rundblad
Borowiecki - Wiercioch

Oh, and Matt Dumba is an absolute monster.

Manny* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2011, 07:35 PM
Sore Loser
Since 2009

Quote:
Nice piece.

Are you new to TSR? I know they recently had two scouts/writers leave them.
No, been there since just after it was started. I'm now the lead WHL contributor, due to our other WHL guy departing. I just try to keep a low profile

Old
08-12-2011, 07:41 PM
S E P H
@Krzysztof_WHL

Quote:

As you know I am not a Pouliot fan and I think Brendan Leipsic should be a bit higher, but overall great list.

Old
08-12-2011, 09:35 PM
Sore Loser
Since 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by S E P H View Post
As you know I am not a Pouliot fan and I think Brendan Leipsic should be a bit higher, but overall great list.
Fair enough.

I'm a big fan of Pouliot, actually. I personally think that with a lesser team, he would likely be able to show off his talent a little bit more, and thus likely improve his draft stock. He gets buried a bit, and as a whole, that Portland team can struggle in their own end at times. While he is a developing player in his own end, I definitely don't think he's as bad as some people have made him out to be.

If Brendan Leipsic has a big year, there's no question that he could move up the list. It was hard to put him ahead of Bourke or Severson at this point though, and there's no way you can put him with any of Murray, Reinhart, Dumba, Rielly, or Pouliot ... he simply hasn't had the same success. I'm a huge fan of Leipsic though, he's a real competitor for a little guy, and really stands out on that team of big, lumbering forwards. He could have a similar year to the one Tyler Ennis had in his draft year, wouldn't surprise me at all. He scored some huge goals for them last year, really seemed to step his game up when it mattered most.

Old
08-13-2011, 04:25 PM
R S
Renegade Stylings

Quote:
Fair enough.

I'm a big fan of Pouliot, actually. I personally think that with a lesser team, he would likely be able to show off his talent a little bit more, and thus likely improve his draft stock. He gets buried a bit, and as a whole, that Portland team can struggle in their own end at times. While he is a developing player in his own end, I definitely don't think he's as bad as some people have made him out to be.

If Brendan Leipsic has a big year, there's no question that he could move up the list. It was hard to put him ahead of Bourke or Severson at this point though, and there's no way you can put him with any of Murray, Reinhart, Dumba, Rielly, or Pouliot ... he simply hasn't had the same success. I'm a huge fan of Leipsic though, he's a real competitor for a little guy, and really stands out on that team of big, lumbering forwards. He could have a similar year to the one Tyler Ennis had in his draft year, wouldn't surprise me at all. He scored some huge goals for them last year, really seemed to step his game up when it mattered most.
Did you consider Olsen as an honourable mention at all?

Old
08-13-2011, 11:51 PM
Sore Loser
Since 2009

Quote:
Did you consider Olsen as an honourable mention at all?
The other WHL guy had him at #13, I have him slightly lower. He's in the Eastern Conference so he has had more viewings than I have, though I have seen him play quite a bit. He's on my radar, but I'd like to see a bit more offensive production out of him this year for sure. I like his two-way game, think he would benefit from getting some more strength next year.

He'll be in a bigger role with the Blades, so I'm sure that won't hurt his numbers. Could move up as the season wears on.