HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

The Hockey News predicts Habs will finish 8th in East

Old
08-13-2011, 09:21 AM
Patty Roy

vCash: 500
Personally i think the Habs could end up anywhere between 5-8 so i don't really have a problem with the 8th place ranking.

Patty Roy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2011, 09:26 AM
Subban76

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs View Post
lol, you guys are like a bunch of little kids who got their feelings hurt, and now they don't want to play anymore. God help anyone who rates the Habs as an average team, which is exactly what we are.
lol at every single post you make.

Last edited by Subban76: 08-13-2011 at 09:32 AM.
Subban76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2011, 09:29 AM
Team_Spirit
Tinordi-Subban

vCash: 309
Quote:
Originally Posted by overlords View Post
Yes, because the hockey news predicted it, it will happen.
Well if we look back we usually finish around that spot.

Team_Spirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2011, 09:31 AM
Subban76

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs23 View Post
Who really knows whats happening with Markov-Gorges-Pax, they won't either until Exhibition season starts. Some people have them penciled in like robots, no issues with their bodies at all. Yemelin is also a ? he's unproven. They will make the playoffs & that's all that really counts.

Does it really matter if you finish 1st or 8th, home ice is nice, but sometimes it could be less pressure to start on the road.
Markov and MaxPac are healty and its documented and all over the net in the past weeks. No issues with these 2 for sure.

As for Gorges, we have not heard as much, but he appears to be healty and ready to go also. We are not penciling them in blindly, there are news and reports to support this, maybe you missed them????? The shakehead smilie should go to you on this one

Eller is ???? for the start of the season, but not the 3 guys you mentionned.

Old
08-13-2011, 09:42 AM
bsl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subban76 View Post
Markov and MaxPac are healty and its documented and all over the net in the past weeks. No issues with these 2 for sure.

As for Gorges, we have not heard as much, but he appears to be healty and ready to go also. We are not penciling them in blindly, there are news and reports to support this, maybe you missed them????? The shakehead smilie should go to you on this one

Eller is ???? for the start of the season, but not the 3 guys you mentionned.
Subban I admire your optimism but tell you what re Pax: Come over to my place, I'll break your neck, then you can go play in the NHL as a power winger in 6 months.

You might hesitate, hmmm?

The players aren't robots. You need to pass the physical AND mental test.

God bless him, I'm hoping against hope he comes back mentally. Let's cross our fingers. But to say he's 100% ready to go is a big assumption at this point.

bsl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2011, 09:59 AM
macavoy

Quote:
hf needs a like feature

macavoy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2011, 10:03 AM
Subban76

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsl View Post
Subban I admire your optimism but tell you what re Pax: Come over to my place, I'll break your neck, then you can go play in the NHL as a power winger in 6 months.

You might hesitate, hmmm?

The players aren't robots. You need to pass the physical AND mental test.

God bless him, I'm hoping against hope he comes back mentally. Let's cross our fingers. But to say he's 100% ready to go is a big assumption at this point.
I meant physically he is ready. He said so I'm self and even played a game not long ago for charity (not the same as the NHL, I know!). Therefore he will play for sure and we can insert him in the lineup. Will he be 100% mentally? That is another story. I just meant that he will be ready to start the season, that is all. We might not get the best out of him early on, but I have full confidence in this guy. He seems solid mentally and physically. Plus having Cole around won't hurt

Old
08-13-2011, 11:09 AM
Kriss E

Quote:
They are an average playoff team, nothing spectacular. Injury problems with our forwards, Gomez is a mystery, which Cammallerri will show up this year, still a small team...

Lots of questions once again this year...

I think our defense is going to be an issue, Gill will get too much ice time, so will Spacek.
You can't judge a team based on injuries.

Predictions were made a few days ago. If we were set to start the season without Price or Markov, or PK, or any other key player, for 2-3months, then yea, you can factor them in when predicting. But when everybody is supposed to be healthy, you don't make those predictions in thinking Markov will miss 40games, Cammy probably 20, etc..
It's predictions based on paper, we have a more than average team.
If you're going to base your prediction on past seasons, then there's no reason for Buffalo or NYR to be in front of us.

Ya, anybody can argue its way to Mtl being just average, but you can do the same for the majority of teams in the NHL. You can apply the same questioning to most teams.

Kriss E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2011, 11:15 AM
Habs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kriss E View Post
You can't judge a team based on injuries.

Predictions were made a few days ago. If we were set to start the season without Price or Markov, or PK, or any other key player, for 2-3months, then yea, you can factor them in when predicting. But when everybody is supposed to be healthy, you don't make those predictions in thinking Markov will miss 40games, Cammy probably 20, etc..
It's predictions based on paper, we have a more than average team.
If you're going to base your prediction on past seasons, then there's no reason for Buffalo or NYR to be in front of us.
I think Richards will make the difference in NY, and the Sabres are ready to make the leap forward.

Quote:
Ya, anybody can argue its way to Mtl being just average, but you can do the same for the majority of teams in the NHL. You can apply the same questioning to most teams.
I look at the NHL right now as a bunch of 'average' teams, with a few top tier clubs. I see a big log jam from 4-8 in both divisions, and then the usual suspects missing the playoffs.

Habs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2011, 11:17 AM
RC51

WOW just WOW.
what nuts again.
they predict 8th???
because of course, the habs best player will go down with yet another season ending injury after 3 games, of course the Habs most expensive player will get a total of 7-8 goals all year, of course Subban will have a complete OFF YEAR, of course habs solid d-man at number 3 will also be gone for the year in the second half, of course NO rookie will have any progression at all and Price will run out of gas after 50 games as Budaj lets in 50 goals per game, of course only 2-3 habs will get 20 goals and rest will average 6 goals, of course Martin won't have a clue how to coach any better then last year and Gauthier will make the leagues worst trades in NHL history, of course the MTL police will arrest Chara again after he nearly KILLS Patches yet again with another hit into the glass and somebody from Boston will Call someone who is related to somebody from Boston and somehow Chara gets off scot-free again, so IF I understand this right if ALL THIS HAPPENS AGAIN the Habs will finish 6th if they have an even worse year they will finish 8th and THN say YES to that???????????????/

RC51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2011, 11:35 AM
xposbrad

Quote:
Originally Posted by RC51 View Post
WOW just WOW.
what nuts again.
they predict 8th???
because of course, the habs best player will go down with yet another season ending injury after 3 games, of course the Habs most expensive player will get a total of 7-8 goals all year, of course Subban will have a complete OFF YEAR, of course habs solid d-man at number 3 will also be gone for the year in the second half, of course NO rookie will have any progression at all and Price will run out of gas after 50 games as Budaj lets in 50 goals per game, of course only 2-3 habs will get 20 goals and rest will average 6 goals, of course Martin won't have a clue how to coach any better then last year and Gauthier will make the leagues worst trades in NHL history, of course the MTL police will arrest Chara again after he nearly KILLS Patches yet again with another hit into the glass and somebody from Boston will Call someone who is related to somebody from Boston and somehow Chara gets off scot-free again, so IF I understand this right if ALL THIS HAPPENS AGAIN the Habs will finish 6th if they have an even worse year they will finish 8th and THN say YES to that???????????????/
I have no idea what you're saying but that's one damn long sentence!

xposbrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2011, 01:29 PM
Kriss E

Quote:
I think Richards will make the difference in NY, and the Sabres are ready to make the leap forward.
But why would Richards make the difference? NYR are counting on more youngsters than us. If we're full of questions, so are they. Why wouldn't Markov, Gorges and Cole make the difference?
Sabres have suffered their share of injuries as well over the years, they're no different than us in that aspect.
You can say you have a gut feeling they'll finish ahead, but really there's no reason to believe they have a better team than us, especially not on paper. Maybe the Sabres in terms of defense, but it's tight.

Quote:
I look at the NHL right now as a bunch of 'average' teams, with a few top tier clubs. I see a big log jam from 4-8 in both divisions, and then the usual suspects missing the playoffs.
Won't argue against that. I actually think only Washington is in a league of their own. All the rest of good teams imo could finish from 2nd-16th. Then there's the bottom teams that can finish any position outside POs.

Kriss E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2011, 02:04 PM
nyhabsfan
Waiting for #25.....

If we stay healthy this year, particularly our D, I can't see why we couldn't be challenging for the top spot in the North East Conference. We were 7 points behind Boston for the title and that's with Markov playing seven games and significant lost man hours to other key players.

Our offense should improve with not only Cole on the team but with Markov generating chances from the back end.

I think without significant injuries we are a top 4 team in the Eastern Conference.

nyhabsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2011, 02:32 PM
SPLBRUIN

Most fans tend to overrate their favourite team, all of the so called hockey experts
( i.e Hockey News, TSN, etc ) based in Canada tend to favour Canadian teams over US teams, that being said, if most of these so-called experts pick Montreal to finish below Boston & Buffalo it's because they view these teams as having superior rosters to Montreal, and to tell you the truth, I agree with that. However, as long as you make the playoffs, that's what really counts, and all 3 teams should make it.

SPLBRUIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2011, 02:46 PM
Roke

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyhabsfan View Post
If we stay healthy this year, particularly our D, I can't see why we couldn't be challenging for the top spot in the North East Conference. We were 7 points behind Boston for the title and that's with Markov playing seven games and significant lost man hours to other key players.

Our offense should improve with not only Cole on the team but with Markov generating chances from the back end.

I think without significant injuries we are a top 4 team in the Eastern Conference.
Regression toward the mean in shooting percentage should get the Habs at least another 3 wins next season... the Habs' players as a whole underperformed their career shooting% by 20 or so goals last season. Like you said, Markov will help a lot on offense (in addition to the regression). Having more than 5 top-6 forwards for over half the year will also help (Cole's addition and hopefully Pacioretty means the Habs have 7 top-6 calibre guys).

The Habs should do very well assuming they don't collapse in their puck possession. We'll get to see if last year was really when Martin's system gelled and Montreal stopped being a puck-possession blackhole or just a fluke. I believe it's the former and if that's the case 3rd or 5th place is fairly likely.

Last edited by Roke: 08-13-2011 at 02:55 PM.
Roke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2011, 02:51 PM
Habs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kriss E View Post
But why would Richards make the difference? NYR are counting on more youngsters than us. If we're full of questions, so are they. Why wouldn't Markov, Gorges and Cole make the difference?
Sabres have suffered their share of injuries as well over the years, they're no different than us in that aspect.
You can say you have a gut feeling they'll finish ahead, but really there's no reason to believe they have a better team than us, especially not on paper. Maybe the Sabres in terms of defense, but it's tight.
I think the difference is, we know what to expect with Markov and Gorges, what they provide. I'm really curious to see how the Rangers PP and PK improves with Richards.

Cole will help us, no question.

I just think the East is going to be so tight again this year, that 7-8th is a real possibility that will probably come down to 2 games as usual.

Quote:
Won't argue against that. I actually think only Washington is in a league of their own. All the rest of good teams imo could finish from 2nd-16th. Then there's the bottom teams that can finish any position outside POs.
Yup, it will be a traffic jam of average teams, once again. This doesn't mean the bottom teams won't have a great chance of knocking off the top teams, because I really see this as anyone's East this year.

I mean, Boston should be on top, with Washington, they have all the tools to do so, as does Pittsburgh. The top teams have a couple top forwards that separate them from the rest, in my mind.

Whether that means anything in the end, is anyone's guess but this is all we can base our predictions on.

Old
08-13-2011, 02:53 PM
Pavelec4MVP
MVP! MVP! MVP!

vCash: 50
is that the 4th year in a row for Washington to win the cup? hahahahahha

Most Valuable Player
Most Valuable Player
Pavelec4MVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2011, 02:56 PM
Habs

Quote:
Whats the matter, did I insult your idol PK at some point in time, and now you are holding a grudge?

Thanks for proving my point about the insecure fans. How's life working out for you? Do you just have issues with anyone you have a difference of opinion with?

Old
08-13-2011, 03:01 PM
SergeConstantin74
Always right.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPLBRUIN View Post
Most fans tend to overrate their favourite team, all of the so called hockey experts
( i.e Hockey News, TSN, etc ) based in Canada tend to favour Canadian teams over US teams, that being said, if most of these so-called experts pick Montreal to finish below Boston & Buffalo it's because they view these teams as having superior rosters to Montreal, and to tell you the truth, I agree with that. However, as long as you make the playoffs, that's what really counts, and all 3 teams should make it.
TSN favouring the Habs ?!

SergeConstantin74 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2011, 03:23 PM
onebighockeyfan

imo the flyers may disappoint this year. not clear he changes they made make them better or worst.

onebighockeyfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2011, 03:57 PM
Hackett
HF Needs Feeny

I dont think its a knock to call a team average anymore, the top tier and bottom tier are so small... alot of teams fall within the middle pack and there wont be many points separating them.

In, PG's 1st press conference as GM, he talked about how he wanted montreal to get into the next tier. This is his 2nd full season in charge, and I have to say that the organization has made a leap or two. For example, this team no longer crumbles after markov misses time like was the case a couple of years ago.

Its still a work in progress to get to the next tier, but the ship hasnt exactly been stagnant either. In addition to that, you dont necessarily have to be in that next tier to win the cup, as discovered in 2006, and this year with boston. What being the in the next tier does get you is the title of perennial contender ie) Detroit, San Jose, Pittsburgh, Washington

Last edited by Hackett: 08-13-2011 at 04:02 PM.
Hackett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2011, 04:57 PM
Habs

Quote:
Originally Posted by pelletier666 View Post
imo the flyers may disappoint this year. not clear he changes they made make them better or worst.
Probably have a down year, until that young talent they acquired makes an impact, which won't take long. Watch them have a poor year this year, get another top 3 pick next year, and be set for the next 7-8 years.

I like the gamble they took, something Serge Savard used to do often.

Old
08-13-2011, 05:29 PM
NewHabsEra*

Quote:
Originally Posted by King Woodballs View Post
is that the 4th year in a row for Washington to win the cup? hahahahahha
There are big Bruce Boudreau fans..

NewHabsEra* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2011, 05:48 PM
PaulSedin
#lydia2012

Quote:
Probably have a down year, until that young talent they acquired makes an impact, which won't take long. Watch them have a poor year this year, get another top 3 pick next year, and be set for the next 7-8 years.

JVR and giroux are expected to to have the best years of their career and a better goalie how can they have a down year

PaulSedin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2011, 06:42 PM
Hackett
HF Needs Feeny

Quote:

I agree with your post in general, but I dont think its going to get to the point where the flyers are going to be a lottery team. They should still be a playoff team and even though they got younger, they did upgrade in net. This is the best goalie they have had since hextall 1.0, and I think it will sort of offset the youth movement they have opted for.

But yeah, in the long run, I think the flyers are a better off than they were at this time last year.

Hackett is offline   Reply With Quote