HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Notices

NHL testing rule changes next week

Old
08-12-2011, 03:27 PM
jBuds
pretty damn valuable

vCash: 500
NHL testing rule changes next week

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=373620

Some of the proposed changes are kind of cool:

- 4 minute 4on4 OT, then 3on3...no more shootout. I hate the shootout, and would love 4 on 4...but 3 on 3 is bordering on "it's not hockey anymore" just like with the shootout.

- hybrid icing, where the linesmen judge based on the faceoff dots and who gets there first, not to the puck... I like this concept - but will "judgement calls" be a bad thing for the game?

- removing goalie trapezoid... doesn't do anything for us, because our goalie is not a puck handler...but does bring back a skill to the game that, for those fortunate enough to possess, is a real asset and a big-time alleviation on defensemen who get the **** kicked out of them going into the corners for every puck

Other ones suck, like:

- No icing the puck shorthanded.... might as well hand teams a goal instead of a PP opportunity...and might as well hand shot blockers like Volchenkov 8.5M$/yr deals. Is this a joke? Penalty Killing is a facet of the game, and a good penalty killer can clear the puck. How does this even remotely come close to bettering the game?

- No line changes for teams who go offsides. Why? Deliberate offsides is such a rarity, and when it does occur, it gets sent to the other zone more often than not.

Would love to see the trapezoid removed, the shootout removed, and a tweak to the icing rules... don't like the "no-icing SH" nonsense.

jBuds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2011, 03:30 PM
sabresfan3383

Send a message via AIM to sabresfan3383
One key change I want to see:
3 pts regulation win
2 pts ot win
1 pt so win

NO MORE LOSER PTS!

sabresfan3383 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2011, 03:35 PM
jfb392

My proposed change: sell tickets to the event, because I'd pay to see the prospects.

jfb392 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2011, 03:42 PM
ChibiPooky
Caps/Avs/Bills fan

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by jBuds View Post

- 4 minute 4on4 OT, then 3on3...no more shootout. I hate the shootout, and would love 4 on 4...but 3 on 3 is bordering on "it's not hockey anymore" just like with the shootout.

- hybrid icing, where the linesmen judge based on the faceoff dots and who gets there first, not to the puck... I like this concept - but will "judgement calls" be a bad thing for the game?

- removing goalie trapezoid... doesn't do anything for us, because our goalie is not a puck handler...but does bring back a skill to the game that, for those fortunate enough to possess, is a real asset and a big-time alleviation on defensemen who get the **** kicked out of them going into the corners for every puck

Other ones suck, like:

- No icing the puck shorthanded.... might as well hand teams a goal instead of a PP opportunity...and might as well hand shot blockers like Volchenkov 8.5M$/yr deals. Is this a joke? Penalty Killing is a facet of the game, and a good penalty killer can clear the puck. How does this even remotely come close to bettering the game?

- No line changes for teams who go offsides. Why? Deliberate offsides is such a rarity, and when it does occur, it gets sent to the other zone more often than not.

Would love to see the trapezoid removed, the shootout removed, and a tweak to the icing rules... don't like the "no-icing SH" nonsense.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sabresfan3383 View Post
3 pts regulation win
2 pts ot win
1 pt so win

NO MORE LOSER PTS!
3v3 is about as few players as you can put on the ice as far as I'm concerned. Remember that it could conceivably happen during the normal course of play, so it's not quite as much of a stretch as it seems.

I'm not a big fan of the hybrid icing idea. A player doesn't even have to be going for the puck, as long as he crosses the "line" first?

Goalie trapezoid, sure, get rid of it. Makes puck-handling goalies more valuable, which opens up more options for teams.

What would the rule be for the shorthanded icing? Icing can be called on clears even shorthanded? I can see that having a negative impact, especially in the second period with the long change. Teams would be forced to soft clear shorthanded, and in the second that is a tight window. IMHO this is to increase goal scoring.

No line change for teams committing offsides - meh. It's not like football where one team can really draw the other team offside to get that reward. This doesn't really do anything imo except for intentional offside where the faceoff comes all the way down. Then it can really, really hurt as it basically turns into an icing.

3 pts for a regulation win, 2 pts for a win after regulation, 1 point for a tie would be my preferred scenario.

ChibiPooky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2011, 03:49 PM
SackTastic
Embrace The Suck

Quote:

- The game is full of judgement calls already. In fact, there are WAY too many. They should just go full no-touch icing and be done with it.

- It's a great idea to improve offense. Makes defending on a power play significantly more difficult.

SackTastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2011, 04:03 PM
jBuds
pretty damn valuable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beechsack View Post
- The game is full of judgement calls already. In fact, there are WAY too many. They should just go full no-touch icing and be done with it.

- It's a great idea to improve offense. Makes defending on a power play significantly more difficult.
It eliminates the art of penalty killing. It's dumb. That reeks of change "for change's sake". Stop trying to force goals - the game is fine, and you won't win any new fans by eliminating the ability to ice the puck when you're down a man.

What happens on a 5-on-3? Come on.

jBuds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2011, 04:05 PM
THamps

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChibiPooky View Post
3 pts for a regulation win, 2 pts for a win after regulation, 1 point for a tie would be my preferred scenario.
I've always liked the idea of 3 points total always being awarded per game:

Win in regulation: 3pts
Loss in regulation: 0pts
Win after regulation: 2pts
Loss after regulation: 1pt

I haven't formed an opinion on how I think a winner should be decided after regulation... I don't like ties though.

THamps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2011, 04:34 PM
jflory81
Irken Elite

Send a message via AIM to jflory81
Quote:
Originally Posted by THamps View Post

I haven't formed an opinion on how I think a winner should be decided after regulation... I don't like ties though.
I'd rather have overtime wins count as regulation wins and shootout wins/losses the only situation that results in a split of points, but to the other point, I totally agree. I will vehemently dislike any system where different amounts of total points are given out per game.

I don't dislike ties, though. I wouldn't mind going back to the old 2-1-0 system.

The icing rule was instituted in the NCAA last year (used to be automatic icing there) and I really don't like it. It made for some very difficult calls as players are bearing down on the puck on different angles and I just don't think the risks involved with "touch-icing" are that significant that the NHL has to do away with it.

To the no icing while shorthanded rule. No. **** no. Special teams is already a significant portion of the game, with good power plays well over 20%. We don't need to give them that big of an advantage (especially when combined with the no change after an icing rule).

jflory81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2011, 04:43 PM
VaporTrail
GOODBYE D'arse !!!

vCash: 200
wow I don't think I like the no clear icing on penalty kills....How the hell are they ever gonna get off the ice when the bench is the far bench ? They might not be able to....

3-3 I agree that's bordering on non-hockey

VaporTrail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2011, 04:56 PM
CarlWinslow
@hiphopsicles

Quote:

HATE HATE HATE this. I don't understand why this league would consider removing the shootout when casual fans find it so entertaining. It's good for business and this is coming from me; a guy who loves O6 era hockey.

Quote:
No thanks. You are spot on with the judgement calls being bad for the game thing.

Quote:
Again, I hate this one too. These rule changes are steps toward pre-lockout, post early 90s hockey, which was putrid.

Quote:
Other ones suck, like:

Yep. Dumb rule.

Quote:
Yep. Completely unnecessary.

CarlWinslow is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2011, 07:25 PM
AdamsApple

No icing shorthanded is stupid. If the goal is to increase scoring, find a way to do that even strength. If you make penalty calls that much more important, I'm going to have a heart attack at some point because the referees in this league suck on a nightly basis. Puts too much importance on the way the game is called.

AdamsApple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2011, 08:00 PM
French Connection

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarlWinslow View Post
HATE HATE HATE this. I don't understand why this league would consider removing the shootout when casual fans find it so entertaining. It's good for business and this is coming from me; a guy who loves O6 era hockey.

No thanks. You are spot on with the judgement calls being bad for the game thing.

Again, I hate this one too. These rule changes are steps toward pre-lockout, post early 90s hockey, which was putrid.

Yep. Dumb rule.

Yep. Completely unnecessary.

All bad ideas except the so call trapezoid removal. To many D getting killed retrieving pucks.

The goalie is a player also, so who ever thought about restricting his puck handling should be sent to deep Siberia.

French Connection is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2011, 08:08 PM
gaf
Occupied Territory

Like the OT going to 3-3.. would it be 5 minutes of 4-4 and 5 min of 3-3?
Agree w/ soccer scoring. If its not a win then each team is awarded a point. 3 points for a reg/ot win.

Like the concepts to help scoring, but these ideas don't seem to work. The one I've floated out there is allow a team 3 (?) icings a period, after that its a 2 min delay of game penalty after that.. or some **** like that..

gaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2011, 09:43 PM
Afino
The Juice

You know what I'd rather see?

I'm not sure if they did this before, but how about a long change in the 1st and 3rd periods instead of the 2nd? There's something subtle for you that may pay off.

Afino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2011, 09:59 PM
CriminallyVu1gar
LGBTerrific

Some changes I'd like to see that I think the NHL is sorely in need of:
Start calling interference again, especially on players setting picks. This happens all the time.

Start calling penalties on all the crosschecking and spearing that goes on in front of the net. Tired of seeing Vanek get killed.

CriminallyVu1gar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2011, 10:57 PM
TyMy57
Enroth is God

Only one i like is the removal of the trapezoid. that was never a good idea. Goalies should be able to take the risk and go into the corner to play the puck.

TyMy57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2011, 11:06 PM
jflory81
Irken Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigZackKassian

I'm not sure if they did this before, but how about a long change in the 1st and 3rd periods instead of the 2nd? There's something subtle for you that may pay off.
I'd definitely be interested to see the scoring statistics in the NHL in the 1st and 2nd periods (discounting the 3rd because of the ENG effect) over the last few years, to see if that would actually affect things..

Old
08-13-2011, 12:52 AM
LGB24

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigZackKassian View Post

I dont think the league has a say in this. I dont think they can make a rule saying you must sit on this bench, im pretty sure the teams would just much rather sit on the closer bench. It prevents offsides, and its closer to the goalie to get the extra attacker out there for the 3rd period and on delayed calls. Also if you make a bad line change as the far bench youre absolutely screwed.

Quote:
Only one i like is the removal of the trapezoid. that was never a good idea. Goalies should be able to take the risk and go into the corner to play the puck.
Bang on. This is the only rule that should be changed. The trapezoid is completely unnecessary. the other rule changes dont make any sense. No icing on the PK, are you kidding me? Thats no minor tweak, that would completely change the game. offsides no change isnt a huge deal because you arent pinned in your own end, but theres really no point in making it a rule

LGB24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2011, 05:34 AM
Mike McDermott
blah blah blah

I pretty much agree with everything JB said in his OP about the proposed rules.

In terms of points some people have started bringing up (which we all know won't change any time soon... they are going to keep giving out bonus points)

My preferecnes in order would be:

1) A win is a win and a loss is a loss... no points at all or if you must have points a win is 2 points a loss is 0 points. Keep some way to have a winner every time (preferably not the SO)
2) If they must keep givng loser points go to... 3 points for regulation/OT win. 2 points for SO win, 1 point for SO loss. The only way a loser point is given out is in a SO loss.
3) Go back to the old way.

Mike McDermott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2011, 10:07 AM
joshjull

Quote:
Originally Posted by TyMy57 View Post
That rule was put into play to help teams establish a forecheck. It wasn't done to stop the small handful of goalies that can handle the puck well.

In the past many goalies (regardless of the puck handling ability) would kill a forecheck by going into the corners after a dump in and holding the puck for their dmen. Since goalies can't be touched it made it very difficult to retrieve the puck for the forechecking team. The goalie would basically shield the puck and/or their dman.

That rule forces the dmen to get the puck themselves without the help of the goalie shielding the puck or dman from a forechecker. The downside of course has been dmen getting killed by foecheckers.

joshjull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2011, 10:24 AM
ZemgusWho
Play for 2013+

Quote:

I love this rule change. The best penalty kills- the ones that get the most applause from the crowd, and the ones that absolutely frustrate the opponent are the ones where the defense plays keep-away. I think a change in PK strategy would a) increase scoring on the PP and b) increase the value of real defense on the PK. No longer can a guy just whale on the puck and be considered an effective penalty killer.

This rule would emphasize more skill and quick decision making- the kind of things that make hockey enjoyable to watch.

Anyway, I'd love to kill the trapezoid. Anything that gets the goalie out of the net and into the action I think is good. It changes defensive strategies- and offensive strategies too.

The risk of course is that it might make the neutral zone trap more effective, and dump ins less-effective. But we'll see. I hate the gimmicky overtime things. I might still be in a minority among NHL fans, but ties don't bother me one bit.

ZemgusWho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2011, 10:46 AM
Zip15

vCash: 50
Quote:

Just to be clear, it'd be four minutes of 4-on-4, three minutes of 3-on-3, followed by the shootout, which may go to a best-of-five format.

I like this idea. 3-on-3 is an exciting brand of hockey. I caught a couple games last year where teams took coinciding minors in OT, and the play was thrilling. This would enhance excitement, and I think we'd see resolution to many games that would've otherwise ended in a skills competition.

Quote:

Hate it. My mind's eye sees players diving towards opposite faceoff dots, as if it's half-race, half-lacrosse game (where the players race towards the end line after a missed shot). If you want to avoid the rare devastating collisions that result from icing races, just go to no-touch icing and be done with it. Besides, I think the minor penalty has helped to reduce the icing trainwrecks.

Quote:

Ambivalent about this one. On the one hand, it'll allow goaltenders who have the important hockey skill of puck distribution to use it. On the other, as JJ correctly pointed out, it'll hurt the forechecking area of the game, especially given the sacred-cow status of goaltenders. I could go either way on this one.

Quote:
Don't like it. Bald attempt to increase scoring.

Quote:
Don't really see the point. Especially when there's already a rule for intentional offsides

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabresfan3383 View Post
3 pts regulation win
2 pts ot win
1 pt so win

NO MORE LOSER PTS!
God no to the bolded. Some nights there will be one-point games, other nights there will be three-point games? Every game must be worth the same amount of points. I think that is currently the biggest problem in the NHL: that all games aren't worth the same amount of points.

Quote:
Originally Posted by THamps View Post

I agree with this. All games worth three points. I don't get bogged down in the talking points on the issue of rewarding a team for losing. This incentivizes teams to win in regulation--especially in interconference games where, currently, many teams don't care if they give one point to a team in a difference conference. Here, if you do that, your team is definitely sacrificing at least one point, and possibly two (rather than one) if they lose post-regulation.

Last edited by Zip15: 08-13-2011 at 10:51 AM.
Zip15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2011, 11:44 AM
joshjull

No icing on the PK is just gimmick to inflate the amount of goals scored. Further pussifying the sport. As well as further encouraging diving, embellishing and pest type play.

Just when we have physical and nasty players in the system. The NHL comes up with this chestnut.

joshjull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2011, 03:52 PM
funkymag77

Have yet to talk to someone who prefers ties over shootouts

funkymag77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2011, 04:15 PM
jflory81
Irken Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by funkymag77 View Post
Have yet to talk to someone who prefers ties over shootouts
If the choice is between using the current points system with the shootout, and going back to 2/1/0 with ties, then I absolutely would prefer ties.