HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Washington Capitals
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2011 Redskins Thread

Closed Thread

Old
08-13-2011, 12:35 AM
mrwarden
Nothing Witty

vCash: 500
2011 Redskins Thread

Last one: http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=844720

08-13-2011, 01:57 AM
EroCaps

...and let's not also forget the Skins played without their 2-time Pro Bowl TE and two starting stud safeties that let Wallace and Brown get open on the Steelers' two major passing plays.

The running game also had their way with an elite running defense and Bowen, Cofield and Kerrigan all made back-field stops.

The Skins negging is just banal.

Old
08-13-2011, 06:34 AM
strungout
Professional Killer

Quote:
Originally Posted by EroCaps View Post
it surreal reading your Redskins posts compared to Caps posts.

Old
08-13-2011, 07:34 AM
RandyHolt
Capitals Station

vCash: 50
That Hightower pickup looks great. Rex the rollercoaster will come back to earth. But he had guys in his face and he held up great and probably secured the starters job. I like how Kyle is designing his offense; lots of rollouts misdirection and play action. A guy like Zorn would design his entire offense mandating perfect pass pro, the QB sits in the pocket no matter what. When it failed, we had nothing, dead in the water. Our WR/RB groups are upgraded. Hankerson looked like Mickey Mouse with those white gloves. He needs to lose them, they are not helping him catch the ball. He looks afraid of contact over the middle to me, welcome to the west coast. The drops are all mental at this point. If we intend to keep him, we need to run some comfortable routes for him.

Banks may make me eat crow. I figured he would be cut in part based on the new kickoff rule taking his job. But I didnt know they added a roster spot which seems destined for a guy like him. No fumbles or injuries, he is a near lock after last night. Robinson bobbled his chance.

OTA's are a joke and completely unneeded to entertain football fans.

Old
08-13-2011, 08:35 AM
WetHog
Out to Lunch

Send a message via MSN to WetHog
Quote:
...and let's not also forget the Skins played without their 2-time Pro Bowl TE and two starting stud safeties that let Wallace and Brown get open on the Steelers' two major passing plays.

The running game also had their way with an elite running defense and Bowen, Cofield and Kerrigan all made back-field stops.

Lets keep things in perspective. It was the 1st pre-season game, and it was noticeable to me that a majortiy of starters on the Steelers D started to disappear as soon as Ike Taylor broke his thumb. The 3rd pre-season game is the one that counts, IMO.

Having said all that, I liked what I saw from a rhythm standpoint from the Skins. I didn't see a lot of rust, accept for the two drives that stalled in the red zone. I've watched a number of the other pre-season games the last 2 days and I've seen a lot of rust from starting units. Primarily the Crows. Considering the Crows didn't meet for player led workouts, and the Skins did, maybe they did some good.

More specific observations:

1. Rocky McIntosh is not an ILB in a 3-4. A couple piss poor pursuit angles on long Steelers runs back that up.
2. The O-line looked improved, all units. Hightower, Royster, and Helu ran good, and all of the O-line units were the reason.
3. Grossman looked like a QB heading into his 3rd year in this system. He played like I expected him to, but can he keep it up?
4. Banks looked good, and probably proved why he needs a roster spot on this team.
5. The new additions on the D-line looked real good. Jarvis Jenkins, for being a huge person, really moves good.

Old
08-13-2011, 08:46 AM
XDC-RES
Root for the Laundry

Send a message via ICQ to XDC-RES
Quote:
Originally Posted by strungout View Post
This!

Old
08-13-2011, 10:14 AM
Marshall
Too right, man.

Quote:
Originally Posted by strungout View Post

Old
08-13-2011, 10:41 AM
Ridley Simon

Quote:
Originally Posted by WetHog View Post
Lets keep things in perspective. It was the 1st pre-season game, and it was noticeable to me that a majortiy of starters on the Steelers D started to disappear as soon as Ike Taylor broke his thumb. The 3rd pre-season game is the one that counts, IMO.

Having said all that, I liked what I saw from a rhythm standpoint from the Skins. I didn't see a lot of rust, accept for the two drives that stalled in the red zone. I've watched a number of the other pre-season games the last 2 days and I've seen a lot of rust from starting units. Primarily the Crows. Considering the Crows didn't meet for player led workouts, and the Skins did, maybe they did some good.

More specific observations:

1. Rocky McIntosh is not an ILB in a 3-4. A couple piss poor pursuit angles on long Steelers runs back that up.
2. The O-line looked improved, all units. Hightower, Royster, and Helu ran good, and all of the O-line units were the reason.
3. Grossman looked like a QB heading into his 3rd year in this system. He played like I expected him to, but can he keep it up?
4. Banks looked good, and probably proved why he needs a roster spot on this team.
5. The new additions on the D-line looked real good. Jarvis Jenkins, for being a huge person, really moves good.
look at the schedule. 4 wins. Maybe 5.

fundamentals are important in the NFL, but its talent that wins those close games. Most NFL games are decided by a TD, and we dont have the talent to win the close games.

not yet at least.

Old
08-13-2011, 11:41 AM
TheFountainhead
Red Nation

By far the most important takeaway from last night for me was how much better Trent looked this year from a physical standpoint as opposed to last year. He's always been an athletic monster, but his work in the off-season might have him poised for a fantastic sophomore season. He looked like a complete stud yesterday, and if he maximizes his conspicuous abundant potential, he'll be a multi-time pro-bowler barring injury without question. A true foundational piece at one of the most important positions in the sport.

Old
08-13-2011, 01:45 PM
EroCaps

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridley Simon View Post
look at the schedule. 4 wins. Maybe 5.

fundamentals are important in the NFL, but its talent that wins those close games. Most NFL games are decided by a TD, and we dont have the talent to win the close games.

not yet at least.
1. It's impossible to "look at the schedule" and predict which teams are going to be strong. The *******s in the media convince you every year they can do it and they're always wrong.

2. You're right about talent winning close games... against elite teams. Like in every sport, it's coaching that separates the winners and losers and the Skins are well coached.

If anyone is wondering why my posts seem more upbeat about the Skins see #2.

Old
08-13-2011, 01:50 PM
Millhaus

Quote:
Originally Posted by WetHog View Post
The 3rd pre-season game is the one that counts, IMO...
I'd argue there isn't a single preseason game that matters in the least except for the injuries that come out of them.

Old
08-13-2011, 02:21 PM
CapitalsCupFantasy
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyHolt View Post
That Hightower pickup looks great. Rex the rollercoaster will come back to earth. But he had guys in his face and he held up great and probably secured the starters job. I like how Kyle is designing his offense; lots of rollouts misdirection and play action. A guy like Zorn would design his entire offense mandating perfect pass pro, the QB sits in the pocket no matter what. When it failed, we had nothing, dead in the water. Our WR/RB groups are upgraded. Hankerson looked like Mickey Mouse with those white gloves. He needs to lose them, they are not helping him catch the ball. He looks afraid of contact over the middle to me, welcome to the west coast. The drops are all mental at this point. If we intend to keep him, we need to run some comfortable routes for him.

Banks may make me eat crow. I figured he would be cut in part based on the new kickoff rule taking his job. But I didnt know they added a roster spot which seems destined for a guy like him. No fumbles or injuries, he is a near lock after last night. Robinson bobbled his chance.

OTA's are a joke and completely unneeded to entertain football fans.

Good to see my boy Banks still making heads turn. Hightower could very well be a breakout guy. He's got gamebreaking speed and moves.

Old
08-13-2011, 02:24 PM
CapitalsCupFantasy
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:

Relax Francis...it's preseason.

Old
08-13-2011, 02:25 PM
CapitalsCupFantasy
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
1. It's impossible to "look at the schedule" and predict which teams are going to be strong. The *******s in the media convince you every year they can do it and they're always wrong.

2. You're right about talent winning close games... against elite teams. Like in every sport, it's coaching that separates the winners and losers and the Skins are well coached.

If anyone is wondering why my posts seem more upbeat about the Skins see #2.
We all know you're a Shanny fanboy.

Old
08-13-2011, 02:36 PM
CapsWolverinesUSA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Millhaus View Post
I'd argue there isn't a single preseason game that matters in the least except for the injuries that come out of them.
Yes and no. Nobody should assume that Grossman will be a 70%+ passer this year. But it matters that the team looked well-conditioned, well prepared, and well organized. It tells me that people are buying in, even if the fanbase's patience with Shanahan is irrationally short.

Old
08-13-2011, 02:48 PM
EroCaps

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapsWolverinesUSA View Post
Yes and no. Nobody should assume that Grossman will be a 70%+ passer this year. But it matters that the team looked well-conditioned, well prepared, and well organized. It tells me that people are buying in, even if the fanbase's patience with Shanahan is irrationally short.
This. The pre-season doesn't mean a whole lot if you're Peyton Manning or 1 of like 3 elite teams with a well-established foundation.

For everyone else it can give you a glimpse at a few things.

Old
08-13-2011, 02:57 PM
Millhaus

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapsWolverinesUSA View Post
But it matters that the team looked well-conditioned, well prepared, and well organized. It tells me that people are buying in, even if the fanbase's patience with Shanahan is irrationally short.
Sure but until teams are competing at an equal level all that other stuff doesn't really matter with respect to actually evaluating your team. Teams that were poor the year before often go into preseason looking to make some kind of statement while teams like the Steelers, who know what they, are just going through the motions. Good teams go 0 or 1 for the preseason all the time because they know it means squat.

Skins fans for some odd reason often place a ton of value on the preseason. You would have thought the Spurrier preseason butt kickers would have cured them of that...

Old
08-13-2011, 03:14 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beefitor

vCash: 156
Judging by comments I've seen here and on facebook, the annual Redskins traditions has begun...something good happens in the preseason or in the first couple games of the regular season, and everyone gets disproportionately optimistic. Those hopes have never been fulfilled. I'm not falling for it again.

08-13-2011, 03:53 PM
RandyHolt
Capitals Station

vCash: 50
I look at individuals in preseason, not scores nor yards. THT and Jabar will bring some swagger and energy to our O. It seems like hockey, to be a game of momentum. Shanny calls it tempo. Rex bought into it but lol seemed gassed, and called that timeout otherwise I think we open with a 99 yd drive on their number 1 D. McNabb liked to slow the game down and presumably read more. He scrambled a lot so he has to take breathers more than Rex, who just guns it.

good lord I am still laughing when I think of that Shane Graham field goal attempt. It went farther sideways than forward. Maybe much farther. Of course he missed his next one too.

Old
08-13-2011, 06:28 PM
CapitalsCupFantasy
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyHolt View Post
I look at individuals in preseason, not scores nor yards. THT and Jabar will bring some swagger and energy to our O. It seems like hockey, to be a game of momentum. Shanny calls it tempo. Rex bought into it but lol seemed gassed, and called that timeout otherwise I think we open with a 99 yd drive on their number 1 D. McNabb liked to slow the game down and presumably read more. He scrambled a lot so he has to take breathers more than Rex, who just guns it.

good lord I am still laughing when I think of that Shane Graham field goal attempt. It went farther sideways than forward. Maybe much farther. Of course he missed his next one too.
They should have told him to take of his jersey right there and leave....walk of shame.

Old
08-13-2011, 06:39 PM
EroCaps

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beef Invictus View Post
Judging by comments I've seen here and on facebook, the annual Redskins traditions has begun...something good happens in the preseason or in the first couple games of the regular season, and everyone gets disproportionately optimistic. Those hopes have never been fulfilled. I'm not falling for it again.
Do you care to give examples or are you just (ironically) repeating the same cynical talking points w/regards to the Skins sucking?

They were dreadful at times last year in pre-season.

Old
08-13-2011, 08:20 PM
WetHog
Out to Lunch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Millhaus View Post
Let me clarify my remarks, of the worthless pre-season games, the 3rd has the most significance. Starters play longer on both sides of the ball. More of the game plan is used, and more chances for starters to get hurt.

Well I would be fine without pre-season games. I'd prefer controlled scrimages with other teams like what they used to do with the Steelers. Pre-season worries me, like when the Skins offensive starters stayed out and the Steelers starters started getting subed out, that opens the door for a 2nd/3rd teamer looking to make a name for himself by throwing a nasty hit on a starter and hurting them.

A whole mess of questions need to be answered before bold predictions can be made, but I liked what I saw out of the Skins last night. Not a lot of cobwebs.

Old
08-13-2011, 08:23 PM
WetHog
Out to Lunch

Quote:
Do you care to give examples or are you just (ironically) repeating the same cynical talking points w/regards to the Skins sucking?

There are people on both sides of the doom and gloom/over joyed spectrum, and some in the middle in regards to the Skins prospects. Makes for a nice diversity of opinions on here. Please continue.

Old
08-13-2011, 11:35 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beefitor

vCash: 156
Quote:

If you read closer, you'll see I included the first couple regular season games, too. I have quite a few friends who thought the Redskins were shoe-ins for the playoffs after they got off to a good start last year. I see it annually..something good happens early on, people get pumped, and then nothing comes of it. Disappointment sets in. I used to do the same thing, now I wait and see how things are going late in the season before I decide to get excited.

Last edited by Beef Invictus: 08-13-2011 at 11:41 PM.
Old
08-14-2011, 12:53 AM
mrwarden
Nothing Witty

If you actually believe this team, outside of QB, is anywhere remotely close to championship or even playoff caliber, the fact that they went into this season with Rex and Beck should make you even more furious.

How many rookie QBs lead their teams to a Superbowl (None)? To the playoffs? 2nd year (two won the Superbowl-Brady and Big Ben-, ever)?

If everything else is perfectly in place, you're still looking at 3 season before your QB is ready, and that's if he's an absolute stud and EVERYTHING else is in place.

Personally, I think this entire offense is scrap-heap worthy, but if you believe otherwise, you should be more mad than anyone.

Last edited by mrwarden: 08-14-2011 at 12:58 AM.
Closed Thread