HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Jagr expectations?

Closed Thread

Old
08-11-2011, 10:42 AM
DUHockey9

vCash: 500
I just find it funny that we are arguing over if we should expect someone to be an anamoly.

Quote:
Anamoly: Something that deviates from what is standard, normal, or expected
I'm not going to argue that Jagr is more likely than most to be an outlier, but it's still just funny.

Old
08-11-2011, 11:29 AM
jagrgodr

Remember, in the KHL they rarely ever give secondary assists. In the NHL they will try hard to make sure someone get's the secondary assist if his stick was anywhere near the puck. I am guessing jagr would have had 10-20 more points in the NHL, giving him around 1.2 ppg. That, plus it being a lower scoring game, and the fact that the ice was so much larger, i think will help Jagr still produce in 2011-12.

He is going to be awesome on the Power Play. Jagr will rack up assists.. if he gets 63 assists he'll pass mario on all time assists, or just get 47 to break 1000.. it could be a fun season. And also, if he gets 123 points (the most points he get as a ranger) he will pass mario in points, as a flyers! How funny would that be?

Old
08-11-2011, 11:40 AM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beefitor

vCash: 156
I imagine it would be hilarious.

08-11-2011, 11:43 AM
Flyerfan808

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovetheflyers8 View Post
Laviolette likes to keep playing a goalie as long as he is playing well, and Bryzgalov can perform well while playing a large number of games, so I think he is going to be the starter at least 60 times.

edit- Though perhaps Laviolette will change up his game plan now that he has two goalies who are potentially capable of being number one goalies.
I know Laviolette's tendency to ride the hot hand. Though I recall that Bryzgalov has publicly stated he was gassed (paraphrasing I don't have the exact quote) after 65+ starts during the regular season in PHX.

We have Bobrovsky who is a more than capable backup. If I were Laviolette, I would let Bob get in there for a good 25 games ease the workload on Bryzgalov a little and keep him fresh for the playoffs.

Bryzgalov: 56gp
Bobrovsky: 26gp

For me this would be ideal.

Old
08-11-2011, 11:52 AM
livewell68

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beef Invictus View Post
I imagine it would be hilarious.
What would be hilarious? That Jagr scores more at age 39-40 than the average or normal player at age 39-40?

Is it hilarious that Selanne, Oates, were outliers?

Is winning 5 Art Ross trophies in your prime average or normal?

Old
08-11-2011, 11:54 AM
livewell68

Quote:
Originally Posted by jagrgodr View Post
Remember, in the KHL they rarely ever give secondary assists. In the NHL they will try hard to make sure someone get's the secondary assist if his stick was anywhere near the puck. I am guessing jagr would have had 10-20 more points in the NHL, giving him around 1.2 ppg. That, plus it being a lower scoring game, and the fact that the ice was so much larger, i think will help Jagr still produce in 2011-12.

He is going to be awesome on the Power Play. Jagr will rack up assists.. if he gets 63 assists he'll pass mario on all time assists, or just get 47 to break 1000.. it could be a fun season. And also, if he gets 123 points (the most points he get as a ranger) he will pass mario in points, as a flyers! How funny would that be?
I love Jagr and I think he will more than surpass these low ball expectations people have placed for him but I don't think he would get more than 100 Pts. He might just be dynamite and top off at 100 Pts but I see him more realistically getting 70-82 games and 75-95 Pts.

Old
08-11-2011, 11:56 AM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beefitor

vCash: 156
Quote:
Originally Posted by jags6868 View Post
What would be hilarious? That Jagr scores more at age 39-40 than the average or normal player at age 39-40?

You should read the post above mine more closely, and then re-read mine.

I have no earthly idea where you got any of that.

Old
08-11-2011, 12:05 PM
DUHockey9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beef Invictus View Post
You should read the post above mine more closely, and then re-read mine.

I have no earthly idea where you got any of that.
He's defensive

Old
08-11-2011, 12:13 PM
irunthepeg
THE ONE WHO KNOCKS

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrinkFightFlyers View Post
This and nothing more:

Came in here to see what you guys were thinking he should realistically do and this was my favourite. I would cheer for the Flyers if Jagr came back with this. I WISH I had hair like that...

Points-wise, I think realistically he should aim for 50ish, although you never know (because it's Jagr) he could put up 80+

Without mullet: I hope he retires at the end of the season
With mullet: I hope he scores 100+ and stays for many years to come

Old
08-11-2011, 01:05 PM
Jester

Quote:

If he scores a single point this coming season he will have scored more at age 39-40 than the average or normal player does.

Quote:
I love Jagr and I think he will more than surpass these low ball expectations people have placed for him but I don't think he would get more than 100 Pts. He might just be dynamite and top off at 100 Pts but I see him more realistically getting 70-82 games and 75-95 Pts.
Man, you are comedic friggin gold. Does Jagr have a restraining order against you...? because he probably should.

Old
08-11-2011, 01:19 PM
Flyerfan808

Quote:

I think we all agree that Jagr will be a still be good player even at 40. Not everyone feels like he will still perform at PPG pace like you do. No need to get butt hurt about it.

Old
08-11-2011, 02:06 PM
jagrgodr

it appears in recent photos he may be growing the mullet......

Old
08-11-2011, 02:38 PM
Spongolium*
Potato Magician

Quote:
Originally Posted by jagrgodr View Post

That would be so epically funny. I think there would be riots in pens land.

Old
08-11-2011, 02:52 PM
Larry44

Quote:
Originally Posted by DUHockey9 View Post
I just find it funny that we are arguing over if we should expect someone to be an anamoly.

I'm not going to argue that Jagr is more likely than most to be an outlier, but it's still just funny.
What's even funnier is that you quoted what looks like a dictionary definition:
And still spelled 'anomaly' incorrectly!

Old
08-12-2011, 08:40 AM
DUHockey9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry44 View Post
What's even funnier is that you quoted what looks like a dictionary definition:
And still spelled 'anomaly' incorrectly!
haha oops

Old
08-12-2011, 02:54 PM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

vCash: 155
Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
Do people really think Jagr will score at a ppg pace? I mean I have high hopes for him, but even if he's on the top line w/ jvr and Giroux and plays 82 games I don't see that happening. He hasn't played against NHL competition in years. Its going to take him time just to get used to the pace. I'd say (full season expectaion) 60 pts is likely, 70 is possible, and 80+ is dreamworld. I think he will greatly help the PP and the line of jvr-giroux-jagr would deadly if he plays well, but even then I think jvr and Giroux would get most of the points on that line.

Old
08-12-2011, 03:05 PM
abev
HFBoards Sponsor

I think at minimum 20g/25 assists. He will play way bigger than those stats though. He *will* have some flashes of greatness - guaranteed against Pittsburgh. And against that random player who motivates him (for some reason Briere used to get him going).

I can't wait to see him play again. I hope he gets some good face time on 24/7. I can just hear Liev Schreiber now...

Old
08-13-2011, 10:20 AM
fredrikstad

vCash: 495
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gustafsson View Post
Oh really? Why is that? Are we talking about the same Jagr? The one who shredded Team USA in the WCs about 6 weeks ago? The Jagr who was considered one of the absolute best forwards at the 2010 Olympics? Yes, Jagr was playing in Russia (and certainly lost a step) but he still has awesome size and great hands. Jagr is 9th all-time in NHL scoring - and if he didn't leave for the KHL, he would currently be 4th or maybe 3rd. I didn't know Jeff Carter was Mike Bossy in his prime all of a sudden. I'll tell you one thing for sure - come playoff time, Jagr will surpass Carter's pathetic 0.4 points-per-game that he put up for Philly during his career.
Why did he left NHL for Russia anyway. Someone who know for sure?

Old
08-13-2011, 06:25 PM
flyersjamminontheone
In Claude we trust

Quote:
Originally Posted by fredrikstad View Post
Why did he left NHL for Russia anyway. Someone who know for sure?
I read an article where he said he made a verbal agreement with the khl teams manager or whomever that when his contract is up he would play in the k. Staying true to his word he left, north America and other offers from the nhl

Old
08-14-2011, 11:58 AM
Jester

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyersjamminontheone View Post
I read an article where he said he made a verbal agreement with the khl teams manager or whomever that when his contract is up he would play in the k. Staying true to his word he left, north America and other offers from the nhl
I think it was Rangers or KHL, and the Rangers didn't really offer him a contract.

Old
08-14-2011, 03:46 PM
livewell68

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
I think it was Rangers or KHL, and the Rangers didn't really offer him a contract.
They did offer him a contract. Sather was willing to give him 1 year for 7 million, the reports were that Jagr was looking for 3 years, 5 million a year.

Sather at the time would have rather given Naslund a 2 year contract so Jagr went to the KHL.

Old
08-15-2011, 10:52 AM
Jester

Quote:
They did offer him a contract. Sather was willing to give him 1 year for 7 million, the reports were that Jagr was looking for 3 years, 5 million a year.

Sather at the time would have rather given Naslund a 2 year contract so Jagr went to the KHL.
Actually, I think Sather discussed a 1-year contract but they ultimately went a different route and didn't actually offer a contract. That was the summer he signed Redden, for example. They certainly were talking through June, but ultimately parted ways.

Old
08-15-2011, 11:50 AM
livewell68

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
Actually, I think Sather discussed a 1-year contract but they ultimately went a different route and didn't actually offer a contract. That was the summer he signed Redden, for example. They certainly were talking through June, but ultimately parted ways.
That's one of the most frustrating things about Jagr. He equates contracts and terms to being wanted.

This bodes well for the Flyers this year because Jagr is happy they were interested in him and offered something he wanted.

Back on topic

Jagr will play 70-82 games and score 75-95 Pts.

Old
08-16-2011, 09:18 AM
livewell68

FYI.

Quote:
Day-by-day it's so much pressure," said Jagr. "I don't know how to describe it. If I would have been on the third or fourth line, I would probably stayed in the NHL because you don't have to produce every night.

"After a while, you just need a rest. You know, clear your head."

It was something he first got to experience while splitting his time between the Czech and Russian leagues during the NHL lockout in 2004-05.

He had 54 goals and 123 points the following season for the Rangers.

"I think when I came back I was playing the best hockey in awhile," said Jagr. "I almost won the MVP, I finished second, even the scoring (title). Mentally, it's tough in the NHL -- you have to produce on a high level and everybody expects you to because you make a lot of money.

"I never minded it, I always wanted to be that guy. But it's not easy to play in the NHL for 82 games plus playoffs in such pressure."

Jagr was above point-per-game player for Omsk this season, finishing with 19 goals and 51 points in 49 games. He's also been the top Czech player at the world championship even though he's more than three years older than any of his teammates.

All and all, he doesn't look or sound like a guy that is ready to pack it in.

"I love the game, this is no problem," said Jagr. "I work harder than I ever did in my life, this is no problem."

He won five scoring titles and a Hart Trophy during an NHL career that saw him amass 1,599 career points. Jagr was also a three-time winner of the Lester B. Pearson Trophy as league MVP according to the players.

The most memorable experiences of his career were the two Stanley Cups he won in Pittsburgh.

Jagr wore one of his championship rings while speaking to a group of reporters in Kladno on Monday night.

"I've still got it for luck," he said of the ring.

It sounds like one of the few things that could keep him from trying to make a return to the top of the NHL scoring ranks are injuries.

"I'll be ready to dominate if I stay healthy," said Jagr. "I've got no problem with it because I'm practising a lot harder than I ever did in my life. I want to be the guy again"

Last edited by livewell68: 08-16-2011 at 10:01 AM.
Old
08-16-2011, 09:34 AM
MrHockey1982

Quote:
FYI.

I like the sound of this.

Closed Thread