HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Dallas Stars
Notices

Based on camp and exhibition games, with what squad would you open the season with?

Closed Thread

Old
09-26-2005, 01:48 PM
Ajacied
Remember #9

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohio Jones
Off the top of my head, it might be because both are offence-first defencemen whose defensive zone coverage is not stellar, neither of whom establishes any physical presence.

That's just a guess, though.

Of course, both are valuable, they just need the right pairing to be effective. Try them out together on the PP, by all means, (and it seems there's bound to be a lot of that this season...), but 5 on 5 I'd rather see them paired with Klemm and Boucher... but then that leaves Robidas and Skoula as third pairing. I hate to say it, but Robidas doesn't fit. Skoula needs someone with more sandpaper to their game. Maybe Erskine bumps Robidas to 7th man?
Robidas has been very good in camp. He's probably been the Stars 3rd best defensemen (after Zubov and Boucher). He's currently superior to Erskine.

Zubov is just fine in his own end, Daley however is not, but he's still young and has the skills to improve his defensive qualities. I wouldn't pair them up right now though.

Old
09-26-2005, 06:18 PM
Kritter471

Send a message via AIM to Kritter471
I only suggested Zubov-Daley because that's what it appears they've been running with recently.

If I could do anything, I'd do something like....

Zubov-Skoula
Boucher-Daley
Klemm-Robidas

The thing is, the Stars really only have two "Defensive defensemen" (unless you want to count Erskine and I still don't trust him). And heck, Zubov has worked well in a two-offensive-D pairing before when he and Sydor were paired forever. Yeah, it's unconventional but it works.

Don't want to pair Robidas-Daley because it's the Smallest. D-Pair. Ever.

And as for Morrow possibly on the third line, it really depends what you want to do with Jokinen. Miettinen is starting off on the Arnott-Guerin wing from every indication in the preseason. Jokinen is apparently staying up. Do you want him on your third line? I wouldn't mind, but he just reminds me a lot of Polak in the sense that the more ice time he gets, the more effictive he'll be. And Modano-Lehtinen have played very well before with a scorer (which is what they're banking on Jokinen being) on their other wing. And Morrow is much like Lehtinen in that he makes the line he's on better, so putting him wtih Kapanen might really shore up that third line and make it a force.

That said, I don't mind Jokinen there either. Jokinen playing with Kapanen-Barnes or whoever that wing is will get 12-14 minutes a night, which is not like he's sitting on a bench all game. Morrow has a solid history with Modano-Lehtinen and is one of the team's top-five all around forwards.

Old
09-26-2005, 06:32 PM
txomisc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kritter471
I only suggested Zubov-Daley because that's what it appears they've been running with recently.

If I could do anything, I'd do something like....

Zubov-Skoula
Boucher-Daley
Klemm-Robidas

The thing is, the Stars really only have two "Defensive defensemen" (unless you want to count Erskine and I still don't trust him). And heck, Zubov has worked well in a two-offensive-D pairing before when he and Sydor were paired forever. Yeah, it's unconventional but it works.

Don't want to pair Robidas-Daley because it's the Smallest. D-Pair. Ever.

And as for Morrow possibly on the third line, it really depends what you want to do with Jokinen. Miettinen is starting off on the Arnott-Guerin wing from every indication in the preseason. Jokinen is apparently staying up. Do you want him on your third line? I wouldn't mind, but he just reminds me a lot of Polak in the sense that the more ice time he gets, the more effictive he'll be. And Modano-Lehtinen have played very well before with a scorer (which is what they're banking on Jokinen being) on their other wing. And Morrow is much like Lehtinen in that he makes the line he's on better, so putting him wtih Kapanen might really shore up that third line and make it a force.

That said, I don't mind Jokinen there either. Jokinen playing with Kapanen-Barnes or whoever that wing is will get 12-14 minutes a night, which is not like he's sitting on a bench all game. Morrow has a solid history with Modano-Lehtinen and is one of the team's top-five all around forwards.
Excellent post. Daley is more like Sydor than anyone else whos been paired with zubov and i think that pair worked well. I have a feeling there is going to be alot of rotation as far as who is paired with Zubov. I really dont think anyone else can play the huge minutes Zubov is accustomed to, i certainly dont trust guys like daley and skoula for 30 minutes a night.

Old
09-27-2005, 08:45 AM
RoyIsALegend*

Not a Dallas fan, but...

Zubov - Boucher
Skoula - Klemm
Erskine - Daley

Good balance.

Old
09-27-2005, 09:26 AM
Ajacied
Remember #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoyIsALegend
Not a Dallas fan, but...

Zubov - Boucher
Skoula - Klemm
Erskine - Daley

Good balance.
It might be, but then you have Robidas scratched whereas in fact he's miles better than Erskine and arguable Skoula as well.

Old
09-27-2005, 10:20 AM
Pepper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starsdude
Guerin will scrap. Ott will take on anyone. Klemm is tough as is Morrow. They are tough enough without sacrificing talent for the likes of Erskine and Burnett
Guerin, Ott, Klemm and Morrow will get killed against any of the tougher guys of the league.

Those four won't scare anyone, guys like Avery and Ruutu have open season on Stars skilled players because they can beat any one of those 4.

Old
09-27-2005, 11:50 AM
Burke's Evil Spirit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ott = Snott
It might be, but then you have Robidas scratched whereas in fact he's miles better than Erskine and arguable Skoula as well.
Robidas always looks good in pre-season.

Old
09-27-2005, 12:05 PM
Ajacied
Remember #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burke's Evil Spirit
Robidas always looks good in pre-season.
We've had Robidas before and he was a fan favorite voer the likes of Erskine, Daley (at the time) and more. He should be a regular..

Old
09-27-2005, 02:18 PM
brewstarz03

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pepper
Guerin, Ott, Klemm and Morrow will get killed against any of the tougher guys of the league.

Those four won't scare anyone, guys like Avery and Ruutu have open season on Stars skilled players because they can beat any one of those 4.
Avery is scarier than Guerin or even Ott? I'd put Avery and Ott together since they are about the same height. Avery is more than a pest than a scary guy on the ice, just like Ott. Morrow and Klemm and Guerin are just as tough as Ruutu or anyone out there.

Old
09-27-2005, 02:55 PM
Icey

Quote:
We've had Robidas before and he was a fan favorite voer the likes of Erskine, Daley (at the time) and more. He should be a regular..
Since when is the line-up determined by being a fan favorite? Robidas was signed as the #7 defensemen. He knew that when he signed. He's a good player but he certaintly is the the third best defensemen on the team. Once regular season starts he'll be thrown around like a rag doll at times. I am sure depending on the team they may dress 7 defensmen.

Old
09-28-2005, 01:56 PM
pmb1290

You don't want Guerin and Morrow to be fighting every game... And when it comes to the game's real fighters, nobody on the team has a chance. I like Robidas, and I'll be happy with him if somebody gets injured,but he isn't the kind of player the team needs this year. Erskine gets my vote.

Old
09-28-2005, 02:07 PM
Pepper

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewstarz03
Avery is scarier than Guerin or even Ott? I'd put Avery and Ott together since they are about the same height. Avery is more than a pest than a scary guy on the ice, just like Ott. Morrow and Klemm and Guerin are just as tough as Ruutu or anyone out there.
I don't think you have seen Ruutu fight too much. I know, you're going to tell me about the fight with DiMaio but trust me, Ruutu has much better fights against tougher players. Same goes for Avery.

Old
09-28-2005, 02:44 PM
Burke's Evil Spirit

Quote:
Who cares how much the fans like him? Dave Tippet doesn't. Unless Erskine has taken a huge step backwards, Robidas is the #7 in Dallas.

Old
09-28-2005, 02:47 PM
Ajacied
Remember #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burke's Evil Spirit
Who cares how much the fans like him? Dave Tippet doesn't.
Uhm yes he does.. I'm absolutely positive Dave Tippet has Stephane Robidas in much higher regards than John Erskine. Erskine won't see much icetime, and I'm a fan of his. He isn't showing to be a capable NHL defenseman. Stephane Robidas is.

Old
09-28-2005, 03:55 PM
Burke's Evil Spirit

No, I meant Dave Tippet doesn't care who the fans like. Of course he likes Robidas. Who'll still play less than Erskine

Old
09-28-2005, 04:34 PM
Icey

Quote:
Uhm yes he does.. I'm absolutely positive Dave Tippet has Stephane Robidas in much higher regards than John Erskine. Erskine won't see much icetime, and I'm a fan of his. He isn't showing to be a capable NHL defenseman. Stephane Robidas is.
Erskine and Robidas play a different game. How exactly are you postive Dave Tippett holds Robidas in higher regards? He didn't last season when he traded him to Chicago. Everyone likes Stephane there is no question about that, but Erskine can and will do things that Stephane can't. Stephane is the #7 defensemen. That's what he was bought in here to do, and that's his role.

Old
09-28-2005, 06:47 PM
Dr GLU

The coach doesn't trade anyone last I checked.

And Robidas can do something Erskine will never be able to do: skate. Looks to me like mobility on the blueline is at a premium this year, and that's more Erskine's problem than anything else.

Old
09-28-2005, 10:15 PM
Starsdude

Both Robidas and Erskine have agood game tonight. Would not suprise me if Daley sits some

Old
09-28-2005, 11:15 PM
Icey

Quote:
Originally Posted by GLU
The coach doesn't trade anyone last I checked.

And Robidas can do something Erskine will never be able to do: skate. Looks to me like mobility on the blueline is at a premium this year, and that's more Erskine's problem than anything else.

Sorry didn't realize the coach was a puppet. You see I actually thought the coach had a little say, silly me.

Old
09-28-2005, 11:45 PM
Dr GLU

The coach has some say, but they still aren't involved in trade discussions. I bet you Tippett just asked for a stronger defensive defenseman, and the Klemm-Robidas deal was a way to accomplish that without giving up a core guy or prospect. It's really no indication of Robidas' standing in the organization.

He's a depth guy that could be useful if the game opens up because he can skate well, and he's not bad defensively, just undersized. I like him better as the #6 than Erskine, but that's me. Both have their advantages, and they may be rotating in that final spot depending on the opponent.

I'd rather have Sweeney back than either of them though.

Old
09-29-2005, 01:05 AM
Kritter471

Send a message via AIM to Kritter471
I'd rather have Sweeney back too, but if it opens up a role for Daley or Erskine (pleaseohpleaseohpleasedon'tsuck), then I can understand it. You want a safety net, and Robidas looks to be quite adept at playing the "new" NHL. But you want to develop your future, especially with Boucher being a FA next year along with two other fairly large peices (Arnott, Turco).

I like Robidas over Erskine as well, mostly because of the skating ability and the increasd recover-ability it leads to. But Erskine will get his shot this year too, mostly because the Stars really want him to succeed (and have for many years, only to have him flounder).

Old
09-29-2005, 09:30 AM
Famous Flames

Roster so far:

Morrow - Arnott - Guerin
Jokinen - Modano - Lehtinen
Ott - Barnes - Lessard (what a pesty line)
Miets - Kapanen - Tjarnquist
Svoboda/Burnett

Zubov/Klemm
Boucher/Skoula
Daley/Erskine (I like Robi better, but this pairing needs size)
Robi

Lines and pairings not set is stone, but I'd like to see these to start. I think Miets could probably play on Mo's line as well, but I like Jokinen better to start because he just seems to have better offensive instincts (and not that Miets are bad at all). Nice problem to have having 2 potential top 6 six prospects that look ready to contribute.

Old
09-29-2005, 10:38 AM
Starsdude

Probably does not mean much but he was the lines posted on the stars telecast
The blanks were inserted by them

Miets-Arnott-Guerin
Morrow-Modano-Lets
x-Barnes-Kapanen
ott-x-x

Interesting that they had Kapanen at wing. Jokinin could easily fill the line with Barnes and Kaps.

I like Hagos and Lessard to fill the fourth line with Oliver and svoboda as subs hoever Burnett may have a chance to stick if they feel they need an enforcer. Personally, erskine should do

Old
10-01-2005, 04:32 AM
Ajacied
Remember #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kritter471
I'd rather have Sweeney back too, but if it opens up a role for Daley or Erskine (pleaseohpleaseohpleasedon'tsuck), then I can understand it. You want a safety net, and Robidas looks to be quite adept at playing the "new" NHL. But you want to develop your future, especially with Boucher being a FA next year along with two other fairly large peices (Arnott, Turco).

I like Robidas over Erskine as well, mostly because of the skating ability and the increasd recover-ability it leads to. But Erskine will get his shot this year too, mostly because the Stars really want him to succeed (and have for many years, only to have him flounder).
Apparantly, Robocop has impressed the staff enough to the degree he might be used in a top 4 role.

Quote:
Robidas understands it so well, he leads the NHL in preseason plus-minus at plus-8. Stars coach Dave Tippett said he has been one of the team's best defensemen.

"He's been at the top of our D for the whole camp," Tippett said. "What he has done is push himself into the top four."

When the season opens Wednesday against Los Angeles, there's a good chance Robidas will be partnered with Philippe Boucher. He may even return to the 20 minutes a game he averaged with Chicago. The 5-11 Robidas is the Stars' lightest defenseman at 188 pounds, but Tippett said he could be helped by the rules changes.

"He's an honest, hard-working player with quick feet," Tippett said. "He's strong positionally and he's very smart. He's been terrific."

Old
10-01-2005, 11:13 AM
txomisc

Quote:
Apparantly, Robocop has impressed the staff enough to the degree he might be used in a top 4 role.
With the way he has played, he deserves it. Most impressive defensemen during the preseason.

Closed Thread