HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Hockey News predicts Habs will finish 8th in East

Old
08-13-2011, 07:46 PM
guest1467

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by paul123 View Post
JVR and giroux are expected to to have the best years of their career and a better goalie how can they have a down year
I doubt Giroux has a better year than last eating up the toughest minutes on the team.

guest1467 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2011, 07:58 PM
Habs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hackett View Post
I agree with your post in general, but I dont think its going to get to the point where the flyers are going to be a lottery team. They should still be a playoff team and even though they got younger, they did upgrade in net. This is the best goalie they have had since hextall 1.0, and I think it will sort of offset the youth movement they have opted for.

But yeah, in the long run, I think the flyers are a better off than they were at this time last year.
I guess I meant they should still be solid, but they have this way of having a really bad year and drafting another franchise player.

Odd how the other Pennsylvania team has a way of getting a great pick every 20 years, when these franchise players just pop up as well....

Habs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2011, 08:07 PM
Lafleurs Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by SergeConstantin74 View Post
TSN favouring the Habs ?!
Not sure why you're laughing here. They haven't had reason to favour Montreal... Can't blame them for seeing us as a bubble team for the last several years because that's what we've been...
Quote:
Originally Posted by pelletier666 View Post
imo the flyers may disappoint this year. not clear he changes they made make them better or worst.
The Flyers could absolutely suck. I think they'll be in the playoffs but I actually think they'll finish lower than we do.
Quote:
Originally Posted by buddahsmoka1 View Post
I doubt Giroux has a better year than last eating up the toughest minutes on the team.
I think JVR will have a good year.

Lafleurs Guy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2011, 08:47 PM
FF de Mars

My pipe dream is that the Flyers miss the playoffs and trade Pronger to us at the deadline.

FF de Mars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2011, 08:19 AM
JGRB
#EllerThugLife

Quote:
Originally Posted by FF de Mars View Post
My pipe dream is that the Flyers miss the playoffs and trade Pronger to us at the deadline.
So that we can have that albatross contract that doesn't leave once he retires? Not interested simply because of this. He also has a NMC and his wife probably wouldnt want him to play here.

JGRB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2011, 09:45 AM
xposbrad

Quote:
Originally Posted by pelletier666 View Post
imo the flyers may disappoint this year. not clear he changes they made make them better or worst.
In the long run they come ahead with the young talent they got and drafted. Meanwhile, they still have a very decent looking team this year.

xposbrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2011, 09:46 AM
toshiro
HFBoards Sponsor

Send a message via Yahoo to toshiro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miller Time View Post
any prediction btw 5-10 is fairly easy to justify imo...

top-4 & out of the playoff picture (10+) are stretches either way and would require either everything going right or everything going wrong.

given the normal amount of injuries, positive performances/disapointing perfomances, our team is probably looking at another 6-8 finish, strong/deep enough to weather some tough stretches and remain a playoff team, but not strong/deep enough to contend for a home-playoff seed unless things go remarkably well.

we definitely have advantages due to goaltending (Price is one of top 2-3 goalies in the conference), chemistry (our opening day roster should be only minimaly different from last season), and a pretty strong system of play that gets the most out of the group (if not out of the individuals).

but our 5 on 5 scoring depth and overal team toughness is still questionable, our defensive depth is thin (2 players back from serious injury, 2 veterans on their last legs, 2 unproven young players) and we still lack that consistent offensive precense up front.

still not a contender, but with enough solid pieces to be considered a strong bet to make the playoffs and potentially upset some teams once we get there.
Emerging youth will play a big factor. Emelin, Eller, Pacs, DD, Weber are not kids and could have breakout seasons. Management seems to have faith that they will. If they continue to develop the Habs would have unprecedented depth. Markov, Subban, Price are stars. Cammi, Plecs, Cole, Gionta arent chickenfeed. Gomez may click with his linemates. I suspect that Pacs will play with Gomez and pacs can play the give and go, make plays as well as score. If Gomez rebounds the Habs can play with any team.

toshiro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2011, 09:59 AM
Subban76

Quote:
Originally Posted by xposbrad View Post
In the long run they come ahead with the young talent they got and drafted. Meanwhile, they still have a very decent looking team this year.
I disagree. By the time this young talent (all at forward, nothing at D) matures, Pronger and Timmonen will be done (already on the downhill side) and their D will be terrible with no quality prospects in sight. Also, that young talent as no guarantee to develop properly.

Although they got decent return in their 2 trades, it did not match the team's needs and where they were in terms of challenging for a cup.

And Bryz for 9 years??? I don't see them having a better opportunity down the road then what they had now.

Stupid trades if you ask me. Did not match where the team was and what it needed.

Subban76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2011, 10:10 AM
icerocket

Lol @ Washington winning the SC.

They are the Sharks of the East.

icerocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2011, 10:29 AM
BLONG7

Quote:
Originally Posted by icerocket View Post
Lol @ Washington winning the SC.

They are the Sharks of the East.
If the Caps and Sharks can't get to the finals this year, both coaches/teams will be in for major changes....

BLONG7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2011, 10:48 AM
gusfring

8th seems right. Team has not been improved much.

gusfring is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2011, 11:25 AM
le_sean

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLONG7 View Post
If the Caps and Sharks can't get to the finals this year, both coaches/teams will be in for major changes....
I've always been down on the Sharks, but I think this is their year.

Thornton is now showing up when it counts, he's been carrying that team in the playoffs the last two seasons. Burns is a great acquisition, Boyle can only do so much for a team. Speed is what killed them against the Canucks so they traded their slowest forward (Heatley) for more speed.

If they can get themselves a decent scorer for their 3rd line, I think they will be set.

le_sean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2011, 11:50 AM
overlords
Hfboards

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLONG7 View Post
I still can't believe boudreau hasn't been fired.

overlords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2011, 11:59 AM
JGRB
#EllerThugLife

Quote:
Originally Posted by le_sean View Post
I've always been down on the Sharks, but I think this is their year.

Thornton is now showing up when it counts, he's been carrying that team in the playoffs the last two seasons. Burns is a great acquisition, Boyle can only do so much for a team. Speed is what killed them against the Canucks so they traded their slowest forward (Heatley) for more speed.

If they can get themselves a decent scorer for their 3rd line, I think they will be set.
I agree, always been a downer on the Sharks but I actually love the moves they made this off-season. Boyle-Burns is probably the best 1-2 in the league on defense right now in my opinion. Havlat is a better overall player than Heatley is in my opinion as well, yes Heatley is a better pure sniper but I seriously question his commitment to the game when the chips are down and he has not been as good since seperated from Spezza/Alfie. No question Havlat is better defensively, it's not even close. The only potential knock on him is health, but he seems to have that beat now.

As for our standing in this prediction, ultimately it all comes down to health and what kind of progression we see from our youngsters and if Gomez and to a lesser extent Cammy can have improvements on their down years. If we have Markov/Subban healthy all year we are making the playoffs, if our youngsters (Weber, Emelin, Patches, Eller, DD) progress at a moderate-to-good level we will finish well above 8th. If Gomez and Cammy can return to their previous career-high levels of play we will be winning the division.

That's just my take. On the flip side, if Markov goes down and we have a couple significant injuries up front think: Pleks and Cammy, then I think we miss the playoffs altogether. So my official stance on their prediction is that it's a safe bet all variables considered. It can easily be as high as 3rd if all things fall into place (think 07-08 health) and as low as 10th if we get hit particularly hard. My official bet is 6th, again.

JGRB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2011, 12:32 PM
bcv
My french sucks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nittany View Post
8th seems right. Team has not been improved much.
So, they improve a bit and they finish lower than last year?

Makes sense.

bcv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2011, 12:36 PM
Subban76

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcv View Post
So, they improve a bit and they finish lower than last year?

Makes sense.
Of course, it makes perfect sense And if you had the improvement and progress of our many talented young players, you are GUARANTEED to regress.

Subban76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2011, 12:52 PM
Lafleurs Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subban76 View Post
Of course, it makes perfect sense And if you had the improvement and progress of our many talented young players, you are GUARANTEED to regress.
Right... because only Montreal has made changes. Every other team has stayed the same right?

Obviously we're GUARANTEED to go up. Markov is going to stay healthy all year, we'll have no injuries to anyone else and Subban is going to win the Norris. We couldn't possibly fall regardless of what else is going on...

Again, I think that the sportswriters are wrong on this too, but to sit there and freak out about them having us in 8th is silly.

Lafleurs Guy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2011, 01:22 PM
Habs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lafleurs Guy View Post
Right... because only Montreal has made changes. Every other team has stayed the same right?

Obviously we're GUARANTEED to go up. Markov is going to stay healthy all year, we'll have no injuries to anyone else and Subban is going to win the Norris. We couldn't possibly fall regardless of what else is going on...

Again, I think that the sportswriters are wrong on this too, but to sit there and freak out about them having us in 8th is silly.
Well said, but don't expect to hammer any sense into some of the fanboys here.

Habs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2011, 01:53 PM
Pedro McGuire*

It seems about right...plus I would rather they predict 8th and we make it to 6th or 5th than they predict us to be 3rd and we end up ninth......Much better to be underestimated than over estimated basically.

As we all know though so many things can come into play, injuries on other teams...injuries on ours....our best players playing like crap...their best players playing like crap etc.. I dont know what their predictions were last year but im sure they were wrong in many ways. For now, 8th seems about right.

Pedro McGuire* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2011, 02:31 PM
FF de Mars

Injuries will happen to all the other teams too.

FF de Mars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2011, 02:34 PM
xposbrad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subban76 View Post
I disagree. By the time this young talent (all at forward, nothing at D) matures, Pronger and Timmonen will be done (already on the downhill side) and their D will be terrible with no quality prospects in sight. Also, that young talent as no guarantee to develop properly.

Although they got decent return in their 2 trades, it did not match the team's needs and where they were in terms of challenging for a cup.

And Bryz for 9 years??? I don't see them having a better opportunity down the road then what they had now.

Stupid trades if you ask me. Did not match where the team was and what it needed.
Disagree all you want, they have a good set of young prospects mixed with emerging players. When pronger/timmonen are done, they can sign free agents, trade, etc.. You can say the same thing about our prospects at forward, it's not like we have A talent up front in the minors. But Schenn/Couturier are some great prospects to build around and you add in all the other guys they have. Bryz for 9 years was their only bad signing, but, I think they have an all around solid team to not have to rely on their goalie as much like our teams usually do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs View Post
It seems people forget other teams have prospects (better ones than us) and developing players too, and guys coming back from injuries.

Last edited by Habsfan18: 08-14-2011 at 02:39 PM. Reason: merged posts
xposbrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2011, 03:35 PM
haburger

predictions are useless.

haburger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2011, 03:43 PM
UniverStalinGraduate*

Quote:
Originally Posted by xposbrad View Post
Disagree all you want, they have a good set of young prospects mixed with emerging players. When pronger/timmonen are done, they can sign free agents, trade, etc.. You can say the same thing about our prospects at forward, it's not like we have A talent up front in the minors. But Schenn/Couturier are some great prospects to build around and you add in all the other guys they have. Bryz for 9 years was their only bad signing, but, I think they have an all around solid team to not have to rely on their goalie as much like our teams usually do.

It seems people forget other teams have prospects (better ones than us) and developing players too, and guys coming back from injuries.
Philadelphia wil lbe improved in a couple of years most likely, but their window to win a cup is about 2 seasons, and at that point Timmonen and Pronger will either be gone or salary cap dead weight. They don't have the high end players right now to win, or the cap space to improve in the next year or two (they need to re-sign JVR after this year). Overall I thought their moves in the summer were kind of illogical when placed together.

UniverStalinGraduate* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2011, 05:30 PM
bcv
My french sucks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs View Post
Everything he said could be said about any team, so yeah, you know.

bcv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2011, 05:35 PM
Subnordi

I see us around 6th or better, I mean, our best player Markov was out all but 7 games, and if he's healthy we'll have a lot more offense. Also we now have Erik Cole to make space for Cammy and Pleks, so expect more from that line.

Subnordi is offline   Reply With Quote