HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

[Neo Habs Generation] Yannick Weber - The Calm Before the Storm

Old
08-13-2011, 11:03 PM
neofury*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Talks to Goalposts View Post
Weber doesn't have the defense to play 5 on 5 with Markov although they could work together on the PP if they wanted to. You wouldn't be doing Weber a favour by playing him with Markov anyway, best spot is as a soft minutes 3rd pairing guy like last year where he acquited himself very well.
Offensively I think they'd work well together on the powerplay.

neofury* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2011, 08:11 AM
bostone737

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrimsonSkorpion View Post
CBC covered it during an intermission report. Really cool story actually. But I agree, once you put on different jerseys, your best of friend or even your own brother becomes your enemy.
there is also an interview on ATV with Marchand where he said they are friends and talked about the hit subban put on him and that Brad will be looking for him a little bit

bostone737 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2011, 11:27 AM
Celtic Cross

Quote:
Originally Posted by neofury View Post
There's the problem cause I never watch CBC I'm always an RDS guy.

If CBC started airing more Habs games and got some actual Habs analysts I'd be happy. I just can't stand Cherry though even if he just does it all for ratings.
You kidding me? I know people either like or don't like Don but Cmon for the ratings? No. He's the host of a shoe. The show won't get rid of him because he is the show. Canada loves him so gtfo

Celtic Cross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2011, 11:33 AM
Celtic Cross

Show* damn auto correct lol. However your article was a good read. And I agree Weber has a great chance of breakout year. If he starts showing it at the begining he's likely traded by Deadline habs are here to compete and need some mature responsible bottom 6 players to add size and compete. Like I've said Jordan caron be the best fit for mtl. As someone brought up on trade boards so would Eric Tangradi whose PK Subban buddy from belleville bulls days as was zack rinaldo of phillidelphia flyers

Old
08-14-2011, 12:18 PM
JGRB
#EllerThugLife

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celtic Cross View Post
Show* damn auto correct lol. However your article was a good read. And I agree Weber has a great chance of breakout year. If he starts showing it at the begining he's likely traded by Deadline habs are here to compete and need some mature responsible bottom 6 players to add size and compete. Like I've said Jordan caron be the best fit for mtl. As someone brought up on trade boards so would Eric Tangradi whose PK Subban buddy from belleville bulls days as was zack rinaldo of phillidelphia flyers
I doubt Weber becomes trade fodder if he breaks out, if anything we need as many solid offensive defenseman as possible going forward. Markov is not getting any younger and his health is of relative concern to the majority of the fanbase and I'm sure management has some small concerns as well.

He might become expendable if Emelin breaks out offensively, but I'm totally unsure what to expect from him. I think Weber's progression is going to be very interesting to follow, and he's one player I am going to watch very closely next season.

JGRB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2011, 02:51 PM
Hank Scorpio

Quote:
Originally Posted by JGRB View Post
I doubt Weber becomes trade fodder if he breaks out, if anything we need as many solid offensive defenseman as possible going forward. Markov is not getting any younger and his health is of relative concern to the majority of the fanbase and I'm sure management has some small concerns as well.

He might become expendable if Emelin breaks out offensively, but I'm totally unsure what to expect from him. I think Weber's progression is going to be very interesting to follow, and he's one player I am going to watch very closely next season.
I think his value to the team depends on his willingness to accept the roles he is assigned on the team as he can be a huge asset if he is willing to play forward this season (as well as defence). Weber can fill a bottom pairing role (possibly more) on Defence this season, be used on a checking line (or fill in on D should someone falter), effectively replace Pyatt on the PK, and man the point on the power play.

For these reasons, I don't see him as expendable, regardless of the development of other players with the exception of maybe Diaz, unless he is unwilling to play forward. The only defenceman at risk of being expendable by the deadline this season, in my opinion, is Spacek who is very likely done with this team after this season anyway.

Hank Scorpio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2011, 03:26 PM
UniverStalinGraduate*

Quote:
Originally Posted by JGRB View Post

I really don't think Weber will become expendable at any point in the next 2 seasons. You can't stress enough how valuable a guy who is young and cheap and versatile is for a team like the habs. I think he will be a very valuable player for the habs both now and in the future.

UniverStalinGraduate* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2011, 03:34 PM
neofury*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hank Scorpio View Post
I think his value to the team depends on his willingness to accept the roles he is assigned on the team as he can be a huge asset if he is willing to play forward this season (as well as defence). Weber can fill a bottom pairing role (possibly more) on Defence this season, be used on a checking line (or fill in on D should someone falter), effectively replace Pyatt on the PK, and man the point on the power play.

For these reasons, I don't see him as expendable, regardless of the development of other players with the exception of maybe Diaz, unless he is unwilling to play forward. The only defenceman at risk of being expendable by the deadline this season, in my opinion, is Spacek who is very likely done with this team after this season anyway.
Same here and I hope they don't trade him. Only excuse for trading him would be landing a player who would make us a strong contender. One Stanley Cup is the only way I see him being expendable and they'd have to be really confident in our team to make that move.

I could see him being our next Streit, they don't play exactly the same game I actually think Weber could be better defensively and more creative offensively. I think for a straight up shot from the point Streit will likely be better but he's the type of player I could see Markov finding on the right side pretty easily. Markov is a very gifted passer and from what I saw in those two playoff goals the one thing Weber did absolutely right was get in the right place. He showed some very good IQ on those two plays.

Now obviously youtube can make any rookie appear to be Gretzky so I'm taking it with a grain of salt. Hopefully it is just the beginning though. And one point about Weber's development I'd like to make is having Markov and Subban to show him the ropes is incredible. Markov because he's a veteran two-way D in the league. Subban because he's gotten to where Weber wants to be. I think we have a very solid group of vets and youth this year and it will make for some great success. I'm surprised this year of all years THN etc are underrating us. Have they not learned their lesson about us by now? We're the wild card in the East.

Old
08-14-2011, 03:40 PM
UniverStalinGraduate*

Quote:
Same here and I hope they don't trade him. Only excuse for trading him would be landing a player who would make us a strong contender. One Stanley Cup is the only way I see him being expendable and they'd have to be really confident in our team to make that move.

I could see him being our next Streit, they don't play exactly the same game I actually think Weber could be better defensively and more creative offensively. I think for a straight up shot from the point Streit will likely be better but he's the type of player I could see Markov finding on the right side pretty easily. Markov is a very gifted passer and from what I saw in those two playoff goals the one thing Weber did absolutely right was get in the right place. He showed some very good IQ on those two plays.

Now obviously youtube can make any rookie appear to be Gretzky so I'm taking it with a grain of salt. Hopefully it is just the beginning though. And one point about Weber's development I'd like to make is having Markov and Subban to show him the ropes is incredible. Markov because he's a veteran two-way D in the league. Subban because he's gotten to where Weber wants to be. I think we have a very solid group of vets and youth this year and it will make for some great success. I'm surprised this year of all years THN etc are underrating us. Have they not learned their lesson about us by now? We're the wild card in the East.
Agreed, the habs could be a very dominant team next year. Nobody seems to be talking about it, it's quite odd.

Weber has great offensive instincts and to me when he plays on defence he doesn't usually look out of place. Him and Spacek played very well for stretches last year. It will be very interesting to see who gets the 6th spot out of camp.

Old
08-14-2011, 03:46 PM
Ozymandias
#firetherrien

Quote:
You kidding me? I know people either like or don't like Don but Cmon for the ratings? No. He's the host of a shoe. The show won't get rid of him because he is the show. Canada loves him so gtfo
So the problem is bigger than we all thought...

Ozymandias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2011, 03:47 PM
neofury*

Quote:
Originally Posted by UniverStalinGraduate View Post
Agreed, the habs could be a very dominant team next year. Nobody seems to be talking about it, it's quite odd.

Weber has great offensive instincts and to me when he plays on defence he doesn't usually look out of place. Him and Spacek played very well for stretches last year. It will be very interesting to see who gets the 6th spot out of camp.
I have a feeling he will outplay Spacek I just wonder what Jacques Martin will do if he does. I really would prefer him on D than as a forward. We need to start playing this kid so he can develop. If he reaches the potential I think he can reach it would be very stupid to bunt him around the line-up or press box. At this point Spacek is in the twilight of his career and imo should play against weak teams and when there's an injury. Weber to me should be in full time. We'll need to see how camp goes but you know who I'm betting my money on. I just wonder how JM will handle it if Weber does clearly outplay some of the top 6 guys.

Old
08-14-2011, 03:52 PM
UniverStalinGraduate*

Quote:
I have a feeling he will outplay Spacek I just wonder what Jacques Martin will do if he does. I really would prefer him on D than as a forward. We need to start playing this kid so he can develop. If he reaches the potential I think he can reach it would be very stupid to bunt him around the line-up or press box. At this point Spacek is in the twilight of his career and imo should play against weak teams and when there's an injury. Weber to me should be in full time. We'll need to see how camp goes but you know who I'm betting my money on. I just wonder how JM will handle it if Weber does clearly outplay some of the top 6 guys.
Yeah, I dunno...everyone complains about how weak the habs defence is, but the problem I have is that they have 7 guys (assuming Emelin can be a top 6 guy) for 6 spots. I know injuries will occur but odds are come opening night the habs will be almost completely healthy.

And then there's Diaz, who I doubt is going to be in the line up opening night but they obviously saw something in him and who knows what he comes in and possibly does.

If the line up does remain healthy, I could definitely see a rotation of sorts happening, where SPacek and maybe even Gill take a night off every few games. Keep them fresh and let the youngsters play.

All I know for certain is...that I'm about done with Summer and want the season here NOW

Old
08-14-2011, 03:54 PM
neofury*

Quote:
Yeah, I dunno...everyone complains about how weak the habs defence is, but the problem I have is that they have 7 guys (assuming Emelin can be a top 6 guy) for 6 spots. I know injuries will occur but odds are come opening night the habs will be almost completely healthy.

And then there's Diaz, who I doubt is going to be in the line up opening night but they obviously saw something in him and who knows what he comes in and possibly does.

If the line up does remain healthy, I could definitely see a rotation of sorts happening, where SPacek and maybe even Gill take a night off every few games. Keep them fresh and let the youngsters play.

All I know for certain is...that I'm about done with Summer and want the season here NOW
Agreed. See me personally I'm excited about our D and think signing Hammer/Hannan would be a waste and just another "Spacek". Okay Hammer wouldn't be but he'd be taking somebody like Weber's spot. I want Weber/Diaz to get a shot if injuries happen.

When will this summer end

I believe some people said it's arguable that Diaz is already better than Weber. Given his age it would make sense but I can't wait to see him play regardless.

Old
08-14-2011, 04:02 PM
UniverStalinGraduate*

Quote:
Agreed. See me personally I'm excited about our D and think signing Hammer/Hannan would be a waste and just another "Spacek". Okay Hammer wouldn't be but he'd be taking somebody like Weber's spot. I want Weber/Diaz to get a shot if injuries happen.

When will this summer end

I believe some people said it's arguable that Diaz is already better than Weber. Given his age it would make sense but I can't wait to see him play regardless.
Yup, it shocks me how people complain that the habs didn't sign Hannan. Every day of the week i'd rather see a guy like Nash out there playing some minutes than a washed up has been like Hannan. Besides, the habs will just trade a 5th round pick for Mara midway through the season anyways

Old
08-14-2011, 04:11 PM
neofury*

Quote:
Yup, it shocks me how people complain that the habs didn't sign Hannan. Every day of the week i'd rather see a guy like Nash out there playing some minutes than a washed up has been like Hannan. Besides, the habs will just trade a 5th round pick for Mara midway through the season anyways
I think Nash will actually make the NHL surprisingly. Hadn't really heard much about the guy until I saw him play and I think he can and will be better than Picard. Might already be. Just needs some time. Defense is the last thing this squad needs to worry about until maybe January.

Old
08-14-2011, 05:00 PM
Celtic Cross

Quote:
I think Nash will actually make the NHL surprisingly. Hadn't really heard much about the guy until I saw him play and I think he can and will be better than Picard. Might already be. Just needs some time. Defense is the last thing this squad needs to worry about until maybe January.
You mean until October? Season opener is in ACC Markovs last few games there didn't end so well

Old
08-14-2011, 05:45 PM
neofury*

Quote:
You mean until October? Season opener is in ACC Markovs last few games there didn't end so well
Remember I'm an optimist