HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Starting ice hockey in Finland

Old
08-14-2011, 07:34 AM
Puhis
@Puhis46

vCash: 50
Send a message via MSN to Puhis Send a message via Skype™ to Puhis
Starting ice hockey in Finland

Okay, here goes nothing.

I've been thinking of starting ice hockey for a long time. Even though I'm young (19), I don't think I'd make it in any competitive league. Last time I put on skates was 2 years ago or so, I'm quite rusty stick handler and I'm not exactly a powerhouse, either.

Also, I have about 200 euros or so of monthly budget to spend. That will change if I get a job, but it's so far that.

I don't have any equipment.

Where do I start? Some figures and stuff that should be mentioned about me:

Height: 6'1" (186cm)
Weight: 220lbs (~100kg)
Body shape: Long legs, short back, short-average reach, bit chubby but not fat.
Advantages: I'm rather good hitter, I play with a lot of heart and I'm fast to accelerate when I'm on skates.
Disadvantages: Everything else. Literally.

About my skating, I never knew how to skate backwards. I know there have been some guides here, but I don't think I'd learn it, at least not very well. That being said, I'd most likely play as RW Grinder type, since I shoot left. I've been thinking this for a long time, and I've been also thinking what should I get and how much to spend on each piece. And then I stop and wonder: What do I do after I get my equipment? How do I contact "beer league" teams? Where do I get to practice hockey, even?

And that's where you, my fellow HFBoard members, come into the picture. Tips, suggestions and from Finns, teams and practice schedules/locations. For the record, I live in Espoo. Any tips are welcome. I love this sport, and I would love to learn it.

Thank you in advance.

Puhis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2011, 02:30 PM
Antaris
Totally Trustworthy

vCash: 500
Perhaps not as much advise as support - I'm in the same position as you, somewhat.

I'm 24 and picked up playing hockey just last winter. I've always been a fan but finally decided to take the step.

Here's what i've done to try and get my self into it :

Youtube, howtohockey and other medias are god sent gifts for picking up the theoretical basics.
I spent alot of time looking at gear, going to the sports stores, trying stuff out, trying to find what i thought was the most comfortable, within a reasonable pricerange.
I firstly bought a helmet, gloves, skates and a stick, and focused on getting the fundementals down, after learning from Youtube lessons.

Here in Sweden, I'd have two (three-ish) options. Open day at the skate rink, rent that sucker for an hour or two, or wait till the winter sets and skate at open air rinks.

I'm not sure as to the beer leauges in Finland, but im certain you must have a similar system to our "Korpen" and through that find the local beer teams.

Best of luck to you!

Last edited by Antaris: 08-14-2011 at 02:31 PM. Reason: bear leagues? Oh english, you amuse me!
Antaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2011, 05:31 PM
AIREAYE

Jarick has a great guide to beginner gear, shoot him a PM

AIREAYE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-15-2011, 03:33 AM
Fred89

Quote:
Originally Posted by AIREAYE View Post
Jarick has a great guide to beginner gear, shoot him a PM
I'd like to get it too! Gonna PM him later, or if Jarick reads here, please send a copy also to me! Thanks

Fred89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-16-2011, 05:37 AM
Sharppi
Nothing to see here

This team is extremely relevant to my intrests. I will (so I have decided) playing hockey this autumn, and any/all tips are appreciated. I'm located in Hyvinkää although I go to school at Espoo.

Sharppi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-16-2011, 08:59 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Here's the gear guide

At some point in time I'll update the recommended models for the new stuff that comes out.

No clue on the league structure over there, but most of the time you want to work on skating first, second, third, fourth, fifth, and sixth. Usually there's no hitting in rec leagues. See if you can find beginner classes, good way to make some friends and find a team/league.

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-16-2011, 12:50 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Okay, made the updates. Went a bit cheaper on the beginner stuff, since I keep forgetting that beginners typically don't injure themselves aside from falling (i.e. probably don't need heavy duty gloves and shin pads).

Old
08-16-2011, 01:30 PM
Fred89

Thank you Jarick!

By the way i think i'll invest a little bit more on shins and elbow pads since i've knees and elbows already stressed and occasionally injured from years of basketball

Other than that i'll follow your hints to buy my first equipment set!

Old
08-16-2011, 01:33 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

No problem and have fun!

I will say the recommendations are a jumping off point. Hopefully if you've got a hockey shop around you can try it all on and see what is comfortable and makes sense.

Old
08-16-2011, 02:05 PM
Fred89

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarick View Post
No problem and have fun!

I will say the recommendations are a jumping off point. Hopefully if you've got a hockey shop around you can try it all on and see what is comfortable and makes sense.
There's one, i need to see how much pricey it is on protective gears (since for skates is really expensive), otherwise luckily, i've found a couple of great german online stores that are quick and cheap enough!

Thank you again for the guide man, much appreciated!