HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Prospects
Notices

Prospects Discuss hockey prospects from all over the world and the NHL Draft.

Next great Swedish defenseman?

Old
08-14-2011, 05:24 PM
Kershaw

vCash: 50
Larsson
Ekman-Larsson
Hedman
Karlsson
Erixon
Rundblad

Kershaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2011, 05:29 PM
jbeck5

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColonialsHockey10 View Post
No I read the thread, that credibility comment jumped the gun so much I had to chime in. Not every comment needs to be justified.

And I agree I think Hedman will be the best, followed closely by Larsson. Hedman has left me wanting so much more, but he has a great foundation and a ton of room to grow.
If you make an argument, it's probably best to explain why...or else it's a piss poor argument. I don't know why wanting an explanation on a off the map pick is jumping the gun so much that you had to chime in. Isn't it completely normal to want an explanation? All he had to to was was explain his pick like most good posters on here do. Why are you crying about it?

jbeck5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2011, 05:36 PM
t3hg00se

Send a message via AIM to t3hg00se
It's anybodies game to be honest.

t3hg00se is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2011, 05:43 PM
Asquaredx2

I think the most likely candidate for greatness is OEL just based on the package and overall hockey IQ he brings to the table.

Asquaredx2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2011, 06:03 PM
ErikKarlsson
The Best (per IOC)

OEL
Larsson
Karlsson
Hedman
Runblad
Erixon

ErikKarlsson is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2011, 06:26 PM
Afro Thunder*

Hedman is seriously the most over hyped player in this board, seriously people do you watch any Tampa games at all? This guy is ****ing lackluster and soft as butter for a dman he reminds of a young Philip Kuba with somewhat of a brain.

If this guy was selected 24th overall and based on his NHL play so far, he won't even be even considered at all.

Afro Thunder* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2011, 06:38 PM
ColonialsHockey10

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbeck5 View Post
If you make an argument, it's probably best to explain why...or else it's a piss poor argument. I don't know why wanting an explanation on a off the map pick is jumping the gun so much that you had to chime in. Isn't it completely normal to want an explanation? All he had to to was was explain his pick like most good posters on here do. Why are you crying about it?
Are you his other username? For christs sake, the guy said Brodin, he responded by saying he had lost his credibility, and I said that was a little over the top. You are correct, it is completely normal to want an explanation. Telling someone they lost all credibility is the complete opposite end of the spectrum, however. Can you differentiate between the two? Seems like you're crying about it.

Off the map pick? Brodin was picked 10th overall, ahead of both Erixon and Rundblad in their perspective draft years, and slightly behind OEL. It's not like he said some swedish no name, Brodin's a blue chip prospect.

ColonialsHockey10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2011, 06:58 PM
Vikingstad
**** the King

Klefbom has all the tools to be great, size, grit, bomb of a shot, leadership, and not too shabby of a skater either. We will see if he can put it all together.

Vikingstad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2011, 07:06 PM
xking23
Petersson

Quote:
Are you his other username? For christs sake, the guy said Brodin, he responded by saying he had lost his credibility, and I said that was a little over the top. You are correct, it is completely normal to want an explanation. Telling someone they lost all credibility is the complete opposite end of the spectrum, however. Can you differentiate between the two? Seems like you're crying about it.

Off the map pick? Brodin was picked 10th overall, ahead of both Erixon and Rundblad in their perspective draft years, and slightly behind OEL. It's not like he said some swedish no name, Brodin's a blue chip prospect.
This sir, is ridiculous. When asked (for the most part) Which of the swedish stars is going to be the best, and the first reply is "Brodin, Book it" with no explanation of why, it seems like major homerism. And yes, those short "my player wins" type posts do lose some sort of credentials in peoples eyes. Now you are insulting a poster, and frankly it does make you look petty, especially when it was explained later in the thread. As well draft position argument is pretty weak, Subban was picked in the second round, he is not second round talent. Different scouting teams have different perspectives and such, where St.Louis might have gotten a player in their top 10 at the 16 spot. meaning any comparison is frankly useless.

Anyway off of Potential:

Rundblad
OEL
Larrson
-----
Brodin
Karlsson
Klefbom
----
Hedman
Erixon

Off of most likely to hit potential

Hedman
Karlsson
----
Larrson
OEL
Brodin
Erixon
Klefbom
----
Rundblad

Mixture

OEL
Larsson
Karlsson
---
Brodin
Hedman
---
Rundblad
Erixon
Klefbom

xking23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2011, 07:10 PM
shortshorts
The OG Kesler Hater

Edler and Hedman

shortshorts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2011, 07:12 PM
ohheyhemsky

vCash: 50
Klefbom

ohheyhemsky is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2011, 07:36 PM
Shanny
Coming In Hot

OEL
Karlsson
Hedman
Larsson
Rundblad

all have the potential to be beyond great.

Shanny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2011, 07:44 PM
ColonialsHockey10

Quote:
Originally Posted by xking23 View Post
This sir, is ridiculous. When asked (for the most part) Which of the swedish stars is going to be the best, and the first reply is "Brodin, Book it" with no explanation of why, it seems like major homerism. And yes, those short "my player wins" type posts do lose some sort of credentials in peoples eyes. Now you are insulting a poster, and frankly it does make you look petty, especially when it was explained later in the thread. As well draft position argument is pretty weak, Subban was picked in the second round, he is not second round talent. Different scouting teams have different perspectives and such, where St.Louis might have gotten a player in their top 10 at the 16 spot. meaning any comparison is frankly useless.
And then the guy goes to explain how he has watched all of the prospects in person and he thinks Brodin was the best and everything is jolly and dandy again. It seems like this had very little to do with the guys opinion, he just didn't give the right answer. Every Oiler fan that has ranked Klefbom on their lists has destroyed their credibility as well I'm assuming? Do you fail to see how ridiculous that sounds? Maybe people have watched these guys many times up close in person, and like Brodin's potential over Hedman's soft, uninvolved play (me ranking him first is solely based on his potential and physical attributes. I feel if Victor Hedman is going to arrive, he certainly hasn't yet). If there's a Getzlaf vs. Staal poll and I say Staal, do I need to give you a detailed write up of why I think one is better then the other? Nearly every poll on this forum is followed by one word answers, hopefully you don't go over there too much. I even said in my first post, disagree with the guy all you want, but don't just say he loses credibility. Sorry for backing him up.

I'd love for you to show me where I insulted the other poster. I even agreed with him. I never made a snide remark, I just thought his response was totally unnecessary.

Not to mention you completely missed the boat on the draft ranking part. My point is Brodin isn't exactly an unknown. Nearly every scouting service had him ranked in the 1st round. That is not off the map one bit. Certainly not to the point where one can lose their credibility for thinking he will be the best.

Could this have anything to do with a Swedish poster ranking Brodin ahead of Karlsson and Rundblad?

ColonialsHockey10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2011, 07:46 PM
Strong Island

Quote:
Some of us actually want to discuss and learn about prospects on this board. There have been way to many "one liner" homer/condescending/pointless posts on these boards lately, so it's certainly fair of Jason to call out someone for doing so. Thankfully the poster stepped up and explained his opinion.

Strong Island is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2011, 08:27 PM
bassassin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Afro Thunder View Post
Hedman is seriously the most over hyped player in this board, seriously people do you watch any Tampa games at all? This guy is ****ing lackluster and soft as butter for a dman he reminds of a young Philip Kuba with somewhat of a brain.

If this guy was selected 24th overall and based on his NHL play so far, he won't even be even considered at all.
Tampa fan here, watched Kuba and Hedman. They arent comparable.

Hedman is a 2nd year pro who logged over 20 minutes a night on a team that made the Eastern conference finals. Kuba was never a top 2 dman, for Tampa at least, Hedman is that already.

And as to why he is soft, he is being forced to learn his positional game before the coaching staff are willing to let him roam, that being said I never expect him to be a bruiser.

Last edited by bassassin: 08-14-2011 at 08:33 PM.
bassassin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2011, 08:38 PM
sg58

Quote:
Originally Posted by Afro Thunder View Post

I gotta agree with a lot of this. A large part of the hype and his dominance throughout the junior years has been his early development to a giant of a man. As have been pointed out by others, his hockey sense and hands are not close to some of the other players up for discussion here. Hedman's size and skating will still make him - and is making him now - a useful player, but his top-end ability is most likely going to be below the level of many of the guys mentioned.

In terms of the #1 Swedish D when Lidstrom retires, Enstrom, Karlsson and Edler will battle it out, at least at first. Right now it's Enstrom, though. I really believe in Oliver Ekman out of the guys that haven't already established themselves. Ekholm will surprise many, as well.

sg58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2011, 09:52 PM
Matsens15

Rundblad look so good offensivly!

Rundblad-Karlsson

On the 1st pp unit

Wow!

Matsens15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2011, 10:04 PM
His Beardliness
#SireBabcock

vCash: 1125
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matsens15 View Post
Rundblad look so good offensivly!

Rundblad-Karlsson

On the 1st pp unit

Wow!
Only problem with that is that they're both right shooters.

His Beardliness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2011, 10:12 PM
sg58

Quote:
Originally Posted by His Beardliness View Post
Edler-Ehrhoff, Markov-Streit, Markov-Souray, Green-Ovechkin are just some of the combos that have been effective over the past few years on the PP. It's not a necessity to have a left and a right shooter up high.

sg58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2011, 10:22 PM
jbeck5

Quote:

I meant off the map as in not on the list provided by the OP.

jbeck5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2011, 10:54 PM
Rumcajs

Karlsson may get nominated one day, similar to a Mike Green finish.

Rumcajs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2011, 11:55 PM
Manny*

Ekman-Larsson.

Manny* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-15-2011, 01:29 AM
thomast

Quote:
Originally Posted by xking23 View Post

Anyway off of Potential:

Rundblad
OEL
Larrson
-----
Brodin
Karlsson
Klefbom
----
Hedman
Erixon

Off of most likely to hit potential

Hedman
Karlsson
----
Larrson
OEL
Brodin
Erixon
Klefbom
----
Rundblad

Mixture

OEL
Larsson
Karlsson
---
Brodin
Hedman
---
Rundblad
Erixon
Klefbom
First of all, i don't have favourite team in NHL, i cheer for the underdogs like nashville, blues. I don't have favourite team in sweden aswell, i'm from finland but i can watch SEL games via TV. 0 homerism here. Brodin has unique hockey sense, he keeps his head up most of the time with the puck, similar to Nicklas Lidström, Gives excellent and fast first passes which help to get out of the own zone to the offensive zone. Very good defensively, haven't proved much offensively because he didn't have chance to play at his senior club. Excellent skater. Needs to bulk up and his shot have to get better. Most of these other young swedish defensemen are more NHL-ready but i think that Brodin is the most talented one.

thomast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-15-2011, 01:38 AM
TheOriginalSilf*
@real_saundies

Quote:
Originally Posted by His Beardliness View Post
Karlsson's shot is MUCH more lethal. He'd get priority.

TheOriginalSilf* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-15-2011, 08:09 AM
MoreGore

I do not know what the Swedes put in their breakfast, but apparently what ever it is it makes great defensemen.

It is really hard for us fans to know in enough detail how the kids will stack up. A few guys get accolades due to their high draft selection, others due to recent accomplishments, others due to potential.

In the end, I simply have no idea who will be better. Heck the list will change every year as one guy puts up a career year, and another will tumble.

MoreGore is online now   Reply With Quote