HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The need for Lucic

Old
08-14-2011, 11:35 PM
Thirty One
portnor, pls

vCash: 420
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sting36e View Post
Lucic = overrated. Trade proposal = makes zero sense for either team.
It certainly makes sense for one team...

Thirty One is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2011, 11:36 PM
Machinehead
ActingLikeAStempniak

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by -31- View Post
It certainly makes sense for one team...
I'd have to agree. Staal + Chara = Profit.

Machinehead is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2011, 11:46 PM
chip chipperson*

big ass negative. not only is it an overpayment, but its downright retarded. if this happened it would equal the stupidity of the redden contract.

chip chipperson* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2011, 11:47 PM
Kershaw

Rangers need more Serbs, but I wouldn't do this. Lucic is probably an ideal piece to our forward corps however. He'd sell so many jerseys in the garden.

We picked Sanguinetti over him.

Last edited by Kershaw: 08-14-2011 at 11:51 PM. Reason: added crying icon
Kershaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2011, 11:49 PM
chip chipperson*

we do need more serbs. i agree with you sir

chip chipperson* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2011, 11:56 PM
wolfgaze
Interesting Cat

Milan Lucic isn't going to be the diffrence maker in the playoffs when we're up against a team with excellent offensive depth. A #1 shutdown defenseman like Staal who is going to log 25-30+ minutes in games like that, will be... No, I don't make that hypothetical trade...

wolfgaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-15-2011, 12:07 AM
Kershaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dubedo View Post
Agreed.
Lucic is an ugly overrated scrub.
By the time he is 30, he will be like Neely in terms of being an overrated gimp, but unlike Neely, never a true all pro.

We do not need Lucic, a healthy Callahan is better.
No he isn't.

Old
08-15-2011, 12:11 AM
Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Boyle View Post
Moving Staal for Lucic makes the Rangers a significantly worse hockey team.

I get that Lucic is big, tough, and has a good shot, but he really isn't all that effective on most shifts. He's extremely streaky, is a bad skater, and handles the puck like a grenade.

He's a good complimentary winger, but, honestly, I'd rather have a player of Wolski's ilk on the 2nd line than Lucic. I'm not saying I would rather have Wolski than Lucic (I wouldn't, I've made that clear), but I think a player with as much offensive skill as the former has is a better fit with Anisimov/Callahan next season than a 'crash and bang' type in Lucic.

Especially when the team already has a better version in Brandon Dubinsky on the top line.
This trade has no shot of happening since both players are more important to their current teams than they'd be to their new teams...but the rest of this post is shake your head material.

Lucic is younger, has already scored more goals in a season (30 goals by a 23 year old power forward!), has been less streaky than Dubi and is more physical. There's no contest as to who the better "version" is. I can't predict the future but there's no logical reason to expect Dubi to get better and Lucic to get worse.

Chief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-15-2011, 12:14 AM
Callagraves
Block shots

I wouldn't do this trade if it was Lucic and a 1st.

Not a chance.

Callagraves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-15-2011, 12:15 AM
Machinehead
ActingLikeAStempniak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kershaw View Post
No he isn't.
As good. A healthy Callahan, say 79 games, is good for exactly 30 goals at last year's pace. Exactly what Lucic scored.

Old
08-15-2011, 12:18 AM
JeffMangum
~Dylan~

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief View Post
but the rest of this post is shake your head material.

Lucic is younger, has already scored more goals in a season (30 goals by a 23 year old power forward!), has been less streaky than Dubi and is more physical. There's no contest as to who the better "version" is. I can't predict the future but there's no logical reason to expect Dubi to get better and Lucic to get worse.
Lucic scored a few more goals and points, but it doesn't offset Dubinsky's far superior defensive and all-around game. They're relatively equal in the 'physicality' department, but because Lucic's hits are more noticeable, he gets more credit for them.

People like to rag on Dubinsky for scoring so many empty netters, but Lucic scored even more empty netters than Dubinsky last season.

Also, you say Lucic isn't as streaky as Dubinsky, but he has just as many, if not more stretches of ineffective play than Dubinsky does. When he's not scoring or hitting, he's pretty useless. He goes through stretches where he just coasts around the ice, creating nothing. Dubinsky does that as well, but at least he can kill penalties and play on the defensive side of the puck, unlike Lucic.

Look, I'm no fanboy, but I don't understand the obsession with certain players. Lucic being one of them. He's a complete product of his environment.

Everything about you is bringing me misery.
JeffMangum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-15-2011, 12:20 AM
Inferno
HFB Partner

if im trading a #1 defenseman about to hit the prime of his career...i better get a #1 forward about to hit the prime of his career...imho Lucic is nowhere near a #1 forward. hes a 2nd line winger that will almost assuredly never sniff 30 goals ever again.

Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-15-2011, 12:23 AM
Kershaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Machinehead View Post
As good. A healthy Callahan, say 79 games, is good for exactly 30 goals at last year's pace. Exactly what Lucic scored.
On pace is not equal to actual goals. I think last year Latendrasse was on pace for 40 goals with the Wild.

Talk to me when Callahan actually does break 30 goals or wins a stanley cup or plays with broken foot and sinus infection in the playoffs. Lucic is younger, bigger, more physical and has a better shot.

Old
08-15-2011, 12:27 AM
Clowes Line
Cally's Chicken Parm

Quote:
On pace is not equal to actual goals. I think last year Latendrasse was on pace for 40 goals with the Wild.

Talk to me when Callahan actually does break 30 goals or wins a stanley cup or plays with broken foot and sinus infection in the playoffs. Lucic is younger, bigger, more physical and has a better shot.
Please don't tell me you just criticized Callahan for not playing with a broken foot... That could easily be one of the stupidest things I've ever heard come out of anyones mouth

Clowes Line is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-15-2011, 12:29 AM
JeffMangum
~Dylan~

Quote:

How does being 'younger' and 'bigger' make Lucic a better player? Those two traits are irrelevant when discussing the overall effectiveness and caliber of a player. Playing with injuries doesn't make him any better either, especially given the fact that Lucic was terrible in the playoffs.

He isn't a player of Callahan's caliber. He is not nearly as effective. He doesn't need to 'break 30 goals' to be better than Lucic - although, he definitely could have done so had he not gotten injured, but I won't judge him on an 'if'. Still, Callahan uses his body more efficiently, is significantly better defensively, and creates more offensively. The only thing Lucic has on Callahan is fighting skill, and shot. Callahan's shot is perfectly adequate, though, and either way, it wouldn't be enough to offset the other assets Callahan is superior to Lucic in.

Here's a fun stat - goals scored with a goalie in net last season:

Callahan: 23 in 60
Lucic: 25 in 82

Last edited by JeffMangum: 08-15-2011 at 12:35 AM.
JeffMangum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-15-2011, 12:31 AM
Clowes Line
Cally's Chicken Parm

Quote:
How does being 'younger' and 'bigger' make Lucic a better player? Those two traits are irrelevant when discussing the overall effectiveness and caliber of a player. Playing with injuries doesn't make him any better either, especially given the fact that Lucic was terrible in the playoffs.

He isn't a player of Callahan's caliber. He is not nearly as effective. He doesn't need to 'break 30 goals' to be better than Lucic - although, he definitely could have done so has he not gotten injured, but I won't judge him on an 'if'. Still, Callahan uses his body more efficiently, is significantly better defensively, and creates more offensively. The only thing Lucic has on Callahan is fighting skill, and shot. Calla's shot is perfectly adequate, though.

Callahan: 23
Lucic: 25

Difference doesn't look too significant anymore, does it?
Yea but he didn't play with a broken foot. He let his team down.

Old
08-15-2011, 12:33 AM
Kershaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by HagelinForPresident View Post
Please don't tell me you just criticized Callahan for not playing with a broken foot... That could easily be one of the stupidest things I've ever heard come out of anyones mouth
Not criticizing him at all.

Old
08-15-2011, 12:35 AM
BlueshirtBlitz
Rich Nash

Quote:

Conversation over.

I take Callahan over Lucic any second of any day of any week. I like Lucic, he's a good top 6 player, but he's being so overrated.

BlueshirtBlitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-15-2011, 12:37 AM
Clowes Line
Cally's Chicken Parm

Quote:
Not criticizing him at all.
Well then what does "tell me that when... and when Callahan plays thru a broken foot and sinus infection" means

Old
RangerFan10

Send a message via AIM to RangerFan10
Quote:
No he isn't.
Yes, he is. Callahan probably would've eclipsed Lucic's numbers last season if he played the 19 games Lucic had on him. Callahan is the much more complete player.

RangerFan10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Machinehead
ActingLikeAStempniak

The way Callahan throws his average-at-best weight around, just imagine the damage he'd cause if he was Lucic's size

Old
08-15-2011, 12:47 AM
surf
Wheres the Reggae?

Its fun to blow the board up every now and then.Everyone take a deep breath..Staal will be a Ranger for life..As for Cally>Lucic? I think every GM in the League would disagree..

surf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-15-2011, 12:48 AM
Kershaw

Quote:
Being bigger definitely does give him an edge. He can pretty much use his size to muscle players off pucks and work behind the net. Lucic was probably a stretch when he was drafted by the Bruins since scouts saw him as a goon, but Bruins saw him with a player with size. Size does have a factor in being a better player, especially with Claude Julien's style of coaching. Lucic really didn't play to expectations in the playoffs this year, but the years past he was the Bruins best forward. He scored 2 goals in game 7 vs. Philadelphia last year and scored the tying goal vs. Carolina in the previous year's game 7.

Quote:
He isn't a player of Callahan's caliber. He is not nearly as effective. He doesn't need to 'break 30 goals' to be better than Lucic - although, he definitely could have done so has he not gotten injured, but I won't judge him on an 'if'. Still, Callahan uses his body more efficiently, is significantly better defensively, and creates more offensively. The only thing Lucic has on Callahan is fighting skill, and shot. Callahan's shot is perfectly adequate, though, and either way, it wouldn't be enough to offset the other assets Callahan is superior to Callahan in.
Wow this post is just wrong. Milan Lucic, they player who scored more points than Callahan last year and has a higher career PPG isn't in the same caliber as Ryan Callahan? Lucic has better P/60 mins + has a better GA/60 mins than Callahan. Lucic is being underrated defensively, he's not as good as Callahan but it's not like he's a liability. Lucic creates more offense, scores more goals in less playing time. Lucic is dominat on the cycle game, an ideal winger for Brad Richards and was one of the main reasons the Krejci line had a lot of success.

Quote:

Goals are goals. Lucic was on the ice to seal game winners at the end of close games. As was Dubinsky with the Rangers, no need to discredit a player for it.

Old
08-15-2011, 12:51 AM
surf
Wheres the Reggae?

Talk to Espo in the Hall about his garbage goals..God forbid Lucic doesn't score pretty video goals you all want and crave..

Overrated goon?? Really? Quit while your even.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dubedo View Post
Exactly.
Cally has leadership, defense, and a solid all around game.

Lucic? Garbage goal scorer, overrated goon on Boston=everybody thinks he's god gift to hockey

Callahan is better.

surf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-15-2011, 12:52 AM
Kershaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by HagelinForPresident View Post
Well then what does "tell me that when... and when Callahan plays thru a broken foot and sinus infection" means
Responding to the overrate goon garbage that gets labeled with Lucic. Guy is also a heart and soul player.