HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Notices

Crosby's Health -- Latest update Post #632

View Poll Results: When will Crosby play, and play effectively?
Crosby is ready to go now, and his concussion is behind him. 23 7.82%
Crosby will be ready, but symptoms will linger for a couple months. 66 22.45%
Crosby will be ready for the first regular season game. 47 15.99%
Crosby will be out for at least the half of the year, but will return this year. 90 30.61%
Crosby will be out for this year, but will return to play eventually. 25 8.50%
Crosby will attempt to comeback, but his career is over. 43 14.63%
Voters: 294. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old
08-14-2011, 08:09 PM
HellasLEAF
Komarov has cometh..

vCash: 500
isn't he doing 2-a-days and training/approaching the season like he normally would? surely he wouldn't be doing these things if there was a problem...

Old
08-14-2011, 08:20 PM
Dupree13

The info that's come out has been sufficiently vague that none of us really know what the true situation is.

Old
08-14-2011, 08:56 PM
Freeptop

Quote:
Originally Posted by azrok22 View Post
Rimer is the producer for NHL Home Ice on XM Radio. No idea how reliable his sources are, but Puck Daddy retweeted him, and I don't see this posted elsewhere.

Terrible news if true.
Rimer also tweeted after that about how he knew that Crosby was still skating in Halifax.
Quote:
JoshRimerHockey Josh Rimer
@
@four1six6 I know he's training too.....I just heard he still gets headaches....he's skating in halifax right now
7 hours ago
Considering the last time he had headaches they were worried might be concussion-related, he got shut down from skating, I'd have to say this isn't anything to get worried about.

Especially considering that Rimer isn't willing to say anything about his sources - serious journalists will at least say, "anonymous sources within Crosby's camp" or "someone from within the Penguins' organization said on condition of anonymity", etc. He's not willing to say anything at all, so questioning the credibility of his sources is perfectly valid. If none of his sources are from Crosby's immediate family, the Penguins, or Creative Artists Agency (Crosby's agent's company), then they really don't have any way of knowing anything for certain.

Old
08-14-2011, 09:54 PM
azrok22

vCash: 50
Quote:
Penguins coach Dan Bylsma is expected to address the status of superstar center Sidney Crosby today during an appearance as a guest instructor at the team's annual summer youth hockey school at Robert Morris University's Island Sports Center.

Neither the team nor members of Crosby's camp are commenting on a Twitter post from an "NHL Home Ice" radio producer on Sunday that stated Crosby would not be ready to play when the Penguins open the regular season Oct. 6 at Vancouver.

Neither Crosby nor his agent, Pat Brisson, could be reached for comment Sunday. However, multiple sources within Crosby's camp said the Penguins would be the party to address Crosby's status.
http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/penguins/s_751631.html#.TkiGdW3dw5Y.twitter#ixzz1V3vQnRrC

I would think a simple denial of the report wouldn't require official word from the team, but it could just be a case of Crosby's camp wanting to wash its hands of the speculation. Guess we'll find out tomorrow.

To be clear, from that article, Rimer is sticking with his original report.

Quote:
"I stand by my Tweet," Rimer told the Tribune-Review late Sunday night, though he would not identify his sources.
However, I should also clarify that I disagree vehemently with the following statement from an above poster:
Quote:
Especially considering that Rimer isn't willing to say anything about his sources - serious journalists will at least say, "anonymous sources within Crosby's camp" or "someone from within the Penguins' organization said on condition of anonymity", etc. He's not willing to say anything at all, so questioning the credibility of his sources is perfectly valid.
Serious journalists would not identify their sources at all. Protecting the anonymity of a source is of paramount importance if you want to have that source share anything with you in the future.

Old
08-14-2011, 09:59 PM
Coach John McGuirk
Bylstarded

I won't worry until TSN, the Official Pens site, or Crosby himself come out and say he's regressed and is having symptoms again.

That said, if one of those outlets do come out and say it, I'll be ******** bricks.

Old
08-14-2011, 10:03 PM
Zbynek

Not feeling that great after reading that Trib article.

Old
08-14-2011, 10:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freeptop View Post
Especially considering that Rimer isn't willing to say anything about his sources - serious journalists will at least say, "anonymous sources within Crosby's camp" or "someone from within the Penguins' organization said on condition of anonymity", etc. He's not willing to say anything at all, so questioning the credibility of his sources is perfectly valid.
It's fine if you question his sources, but the rest simply isn't true. Serious journalists do whatever they can to protect their sources if the sources wish to stay anonymous.

I have a degree in journalism and I was told by sources for various stories to give no indication of who they were. That's how writers lose sources, and sources lose jobs.

Old
08-14-2011, 10:47 PM
Pitt's Best #87 #66

@RobRossi_Trib Advice to #Pens fans following #Crosby stuff: Don't go to bed yet...

I hate this man.

Old
08-14-2011, 10:53 PM
Get To Our Game
HFBoards Sponsor

Which is why I stopped following him after the Jagr ordeal. And I haven't missed anything. More of the same from him, it seems.

Old
08-14-2011, 10:56 PM
Mario_is_BACK!!
ACK! ACK ACK! ACK!!!

Send a message via AIM to Mario_is_BACK!! Send a message via MSN to Mario_is_BACK!!
Rossi is a sensationalist turd.

Old
08-14-2011, 10:56 PM
froods
Millerrrrrrr!!!

Unreal, he is the Jagr of journalism. Just wants attention. Such a hack.

Old
08-14-2011, 10:57 PM
Uncle Jorgi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mario_is_BACK!! View Post
Rossi is a sensationalist turd.
This.

Old
08-14-2011, 11:00 PM
OnMyOwn
Extremist

If sid is still ****ed.....might be time to really worry about his and the pens future.

I pray its put to rest tomorrow

Old
08-14-2011, 11:03 PM
Coach John McGuirk
Bylstarded

Agreed.

Old
08-14-2011, 11:04 PM
Mario_is_BACK!!
ACK! ACK ACK! ACK!!!

Send a message via AIM to Mario_is_BACK!! Send a message via MSN to Mario_is_BACK!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dubedo View Post
Well at least he posts, I don't see ANY PG Staff on twitter or ever updating stuff.
Probably because they're busy not manufacturing news stories.

Remember him saying the Pens had a handshake with Jagr just to take it back? Or him saying Jagr was on a plane to the US when he was really at Wimbledon? The good reporters don't do that.

Old
08-14-2011, 11:09 PM
KaylaJ
Tungsten!

Seriously though. I expect nothing more than a write up about how its August and we won't know what's going on til the people in the know say, yada yada yada.

Old
08-14-2011, 11:10 PM
Uncle Jorgi

Quote:
Well at least he posts, I don't see ANY PG Staff on twitter or ever updating stuff.
He posts, and 3 quarters of the stuff he posts is pointless. Most of the time he might as well be posting "I don't know anything about current issue X that everyone is on pins and needles about, but i really want to look like the foremost Pens insider, so let's pretend"

Old
08-14-2011, 11:17 PM
Mario_is_BACK!!
ACK! ACK ACK! ACK!!!

Training camp is one month from tomorrow. The regular season is two months away. Even one set back will not automatically rule him out for the start of the regular season, let alone the start of training camp. He's been seen doing full bore in work outs. The only thing we haven't seen in contact and that's because quite frankly it's his off season, there's no reason for it.

Some people need to start smoking something to quit worrying so much. One unfounded report does this to you? Geez.

Old
08-14-2011, 11:26 PM
Mario_is_BACK!!
ACK! ACK ACK! ACK!!!

From Shero: Sid pushed himself a little too hard, had a minor set back, has not been shut down. They're in no rush to try to get him started by the start of camp or the season, letting it come as it may.

Old
08-14-2011, 11:40 PM
Uncle Jorgi

Shocking.

Old
08-14-2011, 11:41 PM
Mario_is_BACK!!
ACK! ACK ACK! ACK!!!

Article

Quote:
The occasional recurrence of concussion symptoms has not forced Penguins superstar center Sidney Crosby to "shut down" his offseason training, general manager Ray Shero said late Sunday.

"There are going to be some symptoms with this injury, but nothing where he's had to shut it down or anything," Shero said, noting that he was in contact with Crosby over the weekend. "He's pushed himself, which is good."

Crosby, who last played an NHL game Jan. 5 and was diagnosed with a concussion the next day, has not been cleared for contact by Dr. Michael Collins of UPMC — though Shero stressed that clearance is not expected to be sought until at least a week before training camp opens Sept. 16.

"There's never been a situation where he's needed to be cleared to play," Shero said.

Crosby remains cleared to train regularly, except for contact, and he has engaged in workouts at various rinks near his offseason home in Halifax, Nova Scotia, since mid-July.

He will not be "pushed" to join the Penguins for on-ice practices at the start of camp or even when the regular season opens at Vancouver on Oct. 6, Shero said.

"I'm only interested in making sure he's comfortable when he returns to play, end of story," Shero said. "I'm about the bigger picture with this thing."

Crosby has "seemed good" during their conversations, Shero said.

Neither Crosby nor his agent, Pat Brisson, could be reached for comment.

Shero did not plan to address Crosby's status, but the Internet was abuzz with speculation after a Twitter post by "NHL Home Ice" radio producer Josh Rimer yesterday that stated Crosby would not be ready to start the season.

On his Twitter page (@JoshRimerHockey), Josh Rimer is identified as an "NHL Home Ice Producer on SiriusXM Radio & Hockey Blogger for www.nextsportstar.com." As part of his Twitter bio, Rimer "also (sets) up Player Signings for AJ Sportsworld."

Rimer posted this message just before noon Sunday: "Also hearing from 3 sources now that Sidney Crosby won't b ready 2 start season. I hope its not true because the NHL needs its best players!"

Other hockey web sites, including the official site of NBC Sports, picked up Rimer's tweet and based stories on it. "I stand by my Tweet," Rimer told the Tribune-Review late Sunday night, though he would not identify his sources.

Old
08-14-2011, 11:41 PM
TravisUlrich
Eternal Optimist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mario_is_BACK!! View Post
From Shero: Sid pushed himself a little too hard, had a minor set back, has not been shut down. They're in no rush to try to get him started by the start of camp or the season, letting it come as it may.
Your source on this is... Ray Shero?

-nevermind, see article... reading now...

Old
08-14-2011, 11:44 PM
SomeDude

Quote:
Originally Posted by TravisUlrich View Post

Rossi tweeted some quotes. Sheros comments were not exactly that, he essentially said nothing new.

Old
08-14-2011, 11:47 PM
Mario_is_BACK!!
ACK! ACK ACK! ACK!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TravisUlrich View Post

I do know him, just not that intimately.

Old
08-14-2011, 11:49 PM
TravisUlrich
Eternal Optimist

Quote:
Basically, Sid is fine.
This is ALL an overreaction, to nothing.
False alarm, carry on....
I think I spent all last season being the "it's all going to be okay" guy yet we've gone from "Crosby has a minor concussion, out maybe 10 days" to "Crosby might not start the 2011-12 season".

It's frustrating as hell.

Closed Thread