HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Habs Sign defenceman Jeff Woywitka (1 year/2-way)

Old
08-15-2011, 11:18 AM
edsqu

vCash: 500
Habs Sign defenceman Jeff Woywitka (1 year/2-way)

http://canadiens.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=586080

edsqu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-15-2011, 11:19 AM
Andy

Whoa...out of no where.

Decent depth D man.

Andy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Agalloch

Jeff Woywitka signs with Habs (1 year)

Quote:
MONTREAL – Montreal Canadiens general manager Pierre Gauthier announced today the signing of defenseman Jeff Woywitka to a one-year, two-way contract for the 2011-12 season. As per club policy, financial terms of the agreement were not disclosed.

Agalloch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
alexandre

Canadiens sign defenceman Woywitka to one-year deal.

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=373832

How do we feel about this? Two way deal for a guy who hasn't played in the AHL for a couple seasons.

alexandre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
S1C1L1AN78

habs sign defenceman Jeff Woywitka comfirmed with link

i don't know much about him all i do know hes 6ft3 and shoots left . can anyone do a run down of how he plays etc . thank you

S1C1L1AN78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Roke

Woywitka, Diaz, Mitera. Hamilton's going to have a pretty nice group of defenders, aren't they?

Roke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Le Tricolore
Boo! Booooo!

Nice. We're set if Markov goes down!

Le Tricolore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-15-2011, 11:20 AM
Andrighetto Fabolous
Ghetto

Decent depth defenseman signing, upgrade over Picard from last year.

Andrighetto Fabolous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-15-2011, 11:20 AM
Pierre Dagenais
RIP Mr. Hockey

I guess this means Gorges is leaving

Pierre Dagenais is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-15-2011, 11:22 AM
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses

vCash: 256
Good depth, hopefully our guys stay healthy and we don't need him much

Habs 4 Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-15-2011, 11:22 AM
JimmyDarmody

Good team guy but nothing more than a #6-7.

JimmyDarmody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-15-2011, 11:23 AM
Coldplay
Courage

Meh.

This is fine for Hamilton, but I think he's a weak call up candidate at this point in his career.

Coldplay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-15-2011, 11:25 AM
le_sean

Good guy to have in the pressbox. Highly regarded prospect a long time ago. Part of the original Pronger trade to Edmonton IIRC.

le_sean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-15-2011, 11:28 AM
Stephaaane

Like this signing, if one or both of Emelin and Weber are terrible, Woywitka could do the job has a 6th D. I'm more comfortable with him than anyone else for the first call-up (depends on how Diaz develops himself).

Stephaaane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-15-2011, 11:31 AM
Andy

Montreal is getting close to the 50 contract limit are they not?

I believe this is contract 49. We still are missing a depth forward...so expect that soon or a trade.

Andy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-15-2011, 11:33 AM
Blind Gardien
Global Moderator
nexus of the crisis

I've been hoping the Habs would sign another D for depth... Woywitka is kind of at the shallow end of my hopes, but at least he's something. Even if the young guys pan out, there are going to be injuries, and we will need a #8 guy. And probably a #9, maybe a #10. So for a minimal cost and a 2-way contract, Woywitka is a decent option. Not sure that he's actually better than Picard, but in the same category, and overall I'm happy with what we got from Picard last season.

I guess my lament remains that I had hoped for more for this year's D. I'm content *at this stage* that we signed Woywitka. We needed the depth. I just wish the team had gone for a more prominent guy long before reaching this stage. Oh well.

Blind Gardien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-15-2011, 11:33 AM
Markowicz
Simple Jacques

This is another rather smart pick up by Gauthier. He gets a guy that averaged almost 18 min/game of ice time last year with a +5 rating to really make Emelin and Weber and maybe even Spacek earn their spots out of camp. He's not an over the hill d-man by any standards (only 28), is an ex first round pick, and logged huge minutes for Dallas last year at times (25:30 one game). Like someone else said, he's a replacement for the role Picard played last year, but what looks like a better version of. Glad we didn't someone like Hannan, who would have just complicated things too much. Getting a proven NHler willing to take a 2-way contract is really impressive by Gauthier, imo.

Markowicz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-15-2011, 11:36 AM
Patccmoi

I'm fine with that.

To me what this indicates is that they have confidence that Yemelin, Diaz and/or Weber will be up to the task this year or next. So they just signed a depth D for 1 year in case they struggle more than expected next season. They expect Markov-Gorges-Subban-Gill to be our top 4, and Spacek + whoever else that seems best at the time to be our 5-6 (and maybe if more than 1 go well, Spacek could be 7th, but I don't really expect Martin to do that). Ofc there will be some injuries, so you need more depth.

I would be very surprised to see any other signing on D before the year starts. Personally I have no issue with it, I think we have enough players there that are borderline NHL to suitably fill in our roster every night, and in theory we should have enough depth (Spacek, Yemelin, Weber and Woywitka as D 5-8) and call-up that could likely handle the NHL for a few games (Nash, Diaz) that we would need a LOT of injuries to truly be in trouble and needing to trade.

Ofc we'd be screwed losing say Subban + Markov at the same time, but there's practically no team that isn't screwed if their top 2 D are injured.

Patccmoi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-15-2011, 11:39 AM
Markowicz
Simple Jacques

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blind Gardien View Post
I've been hoping the Habs would sign another D for depth... Woywitka is kind of at the shallow end of my hopes, but at least he's something. Even if the young guys pan out, there are going to be injuries, and we will need a #8 guy. And probably a #9, maybe a #10. So for a minimal cost and a 2-way contract, Woywitka is a decent option. Not sure that he's actually better than Picard, but in the same category, and overall I'm happy with what we got from Picard last season.

I guess my lament remains that I had hoped for more for this year's D. I'm content *at this stage* that we signed Woywitka. We needed the depth. I just wish the team had gone for a more prominent guy long before reaching this stage. Oh well.
See i don't get that thinking. When you have Markov, Subban and Gorges who are definitely going to log big minutes, and Gill, Spacek, Weber, and Emelin not too far behind, where are you fitting in a prominent guy? To me, I'd rather give our homegrown guys every opportunity to be that "prominent guy" before going out and buying a new one.

Markowicz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-15-2011, 11:45 AM
EveryDay

TOP 5 Markov-Subban-Gorges-Yemelin-Gill

6-7-8 Spacek-Weber-Woywitka(6.3 227)

If healthy this sqad will be fun to watch!!!

EveryDay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-15-2011, 11:46 AM
Blind Gardien
Global Moderator
nexus of the crisis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pierre Jr View Post
See i don't get that thinking. When you have Markov, Subban and Gorges who are definitely going to log big minutes, and Gill, Spacek, Weber, and Emelin not too far behind, where are you fitting in a prominent guy? To me, I'd rather give our homegrown guys every opportunity to be that "prominent guy" before going out and buying a new one.
I'd rather get "a new one" for free as a free agent than trade for one. Then if I find I have a surplus, maybe I can even trade him/somebody else for something later on. As opposed to being forced to trade for one later, like the Habs did 3 times last season. I also consider major injuries to be an inevitability. Perhaps that is overly cynical. It's also not my money and I don't pretend to try to save it. Keeping Hamrlik and the rest of our current D would have been the most ideal solution to me. But like I said, considering the path we've found ourselves on, I'm content with the Woywitka signing. If we end up with a surplus he plays on Hamilton or gets lost on waivers at some point, as opposed to opening up a trade option, but that was never really an important part of the thinking anyway. Just having the depth to overcome injuries/struggles of youth is the key. I don't think a contending team can afford to give *every* opportunity to a young guy. At a certain point, you have to go for the wins.

Blind Gardien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-15-2011, 11:47 AM
Ra
satan is my homie

Anyone knows which number will he wear? I need a new a jersey.

Ra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-15-2011, 11:49 AM
Ghetto Sangria
The implication

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pierre Jr View Post
This is another rather smart pick up by Gauthier. He gets a guy that averaged almost 18 min/game of ice time last year with a +5 rating to really make Emelin and Weber and maybe even Spacek earn their spots out of camp. He's not an over the hill d-man by any standards (only 28), is an ex first round pick, and logged huge minutes for Dallas last year at times (25:30 one game). Like someone else said, he's a replacement for the role Picard played last year, but what looks like a better version of. Glad we didn't someone like Hannan, who would have just complicated things too much. Getting a proven NHler willing to take a 2-way contract is really impressive by Gauthier, imo.
This. Wel said Pierre, I wanted Colin White because I know he is still effective, but it could have hampered Weber and Emelins progression. Woywitka is a proven bottom pairing dman who can play in the NHL in case, and we got him at a 2-way contract. Not bad at all.

Ghetto Sangria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-15-2011, 11:56 AM
Tuggy

Definitely seems like a Picard replacement. #7 D who can sit in the pressbox while the younger (better) players/prospects get to play minutes in Hamilton.

Tuggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-15-2011, 11:57 AM
Kriss E
HFB Partner

Great paper plane maker.

Kriss E is offline   Reply With Quote