HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Report: Sidney Crosby might not be ready for the start of the 2011-12 season

Old
08-15-2011, 08:06 AM
kicksave27

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by sobrien View Post
If, god forbid, we lose him to concussion problems for his career...do you think that's the final straw for the NHL before they make drastic changes to the hitting and fighting in the game? They'd be losing the face of the game.
It was the 2 quick minor hits in a row that did him in, not some matt cooke sniper elbow to the head. So I'm not sure Crosby's situation alone would be the driving force. Savard's started with a blatant cheap shot. Crosby was just an accidental collision. The league could probably clean up the game just by some judicial suspensions to known repeat cheapshot artists like cooke. Like 20 game, 40 game, and lifetime ban. 3 strikes your out. The NHL can still be a very physical game without all the headshots and late hits. It should also be a warning sign to both trainers and players, to err on the side of caution, since frequency can be as harmful as severity.

kicksave27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-15-2011, 09:20 AM
BrindamoursNose

That's really a shame.

BrindamoursNose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-15-2011, 09:24 AM
PhillyCurt12

all his work in the community was making it very difficult for me to dislike him. he's a great talent, and while most people in philly love to hate him, i personally hope he makes a full recovery.

PhillyCurt12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-15-2011, 10:05 AM
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!

Bad for hockey and for him in his personal life. I only dislike Crosby against the Flyers for the most part but can't knock him for his commitment to the game, his superstar skills and all his accomplishments. Nobody wants to see a player of his caliber have to endure what he is enduring or face a possible shortened career.

Having said all this I'm sure Pitt will be getting the next once every decade or two superstar anyway ...

FreshPerspective is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-15-2011, 10:37 AM
SolidSnakeUS

Curious has anyone else of Crosby's talent ever had their career shortened this much if he can't play again?

SolidSnakeUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-15-2011, 10:58 AM
PhillyFlying
F1eyrS

here's hoping sid the kid makes a full recovery; but in the process he forgets how to light up the flyers at the farg every single time he's here.

PhillyFlying is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-15-2011, 11:09 AM
Midnight Oil

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrindamoursNose View Post
That's really a shame.
A Shame? Where's the sarcasm? It's great news for us that we don't have to play the best player in the league.

Midnight Oil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-15-2011, 11:12 AM
PhillyFlying
F1eyrS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Countdowntoimpact View Post
A Shame? Where's the sarcasm. It's great news for us that we don't have to play the best player in the league.
it's bigger than hockey.

PhillyFlying is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-15-2011, 11:20 AM
Midnight Oil

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhillyFlying View Post
it's bigger than hockey.
I wish him no harm and hope he recovers, I just think if he were out for a couple of months at the beggining of the season it would be to are advantage.

Old
08-15-2011, 11:37 AM
Vikke
FHM 13 researcher

Quote:
I wish him no harm and hope he recovers, I just think if he were out for a couple of months at the beggining of the season it would be to are advantage.
Of course it would be, it'd still suck. Personally, I want to see him tear up the league like he did for the first half last season, it's amazing for the NHL and hockey in general. As long as we beat the Pens if we face them in the playoffs, I'm happy for him if he wins the Art Ross and Hart.

Vikke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-15-2011, 11:40 AM
Hollywood Couturier

Quote:
Originally Posted by SolidSnakeUS View Post
Curious has anyone else of Crosby's talent ever had their career shortened this much if he can't play again?
The other "Next One"

"I Came Here To Bury Caesar, Not Praise Him" - Roy Halladay
Hollywood Couturier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-15-2011, 11:44 AM
PALE PWNR

vCash: 1050
Quote:
Haha your a Flyers fan right? Do you know who The Next One is? I'll give you a hint he wore 88 and played his entire productive career in Orange and Black.

PALE PWNR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-15-2011, 12:04 PM
sobrien
RAFFLCOPTER

Quote:
A Shame? Where's the sarcasm? It's great news for us that we don't have to play the best player in the league.
I want the Flyers to beat the Penguins, in the playoffs, with a healthy Crosby so they can get over that mental hurdle. If they beat them and Crosby doesn't play (ala last season), it won't feel like as much as an accomplishment to me.

sobrien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-15-2011, 12:08 PM
Midnight Oil

Quote:
Originally Posted by sobrien View Post
I want the Flyers to beat the Penguins, in the playoffs, with a healthy Crosby so they can get over that mental hurdle. If they beat them and Crosby doesn't play (ala last season), it won't feel like as much as an accomplishment to me.
Fair enough, beating the Penguins with Crosby would be a great accomplishment and make the victory much sweeter.

Old
08-15-2011, 12:48 PM
Protest
C`est La Vie

Quote:
Originally Posted by PALE PWNR View Post
Haha your a Flyers fan right? Do you know who The Next One is? I'll give you a hint he wore 88 and played his entire productive career in Orange and Black.
He also played into his 30's. Crosby is 23 or 24.

Protest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-15-2011, 12:56 PM
SolidSnakeUS

Quote:
Originally Posted by PALE PWNR View Post
I swear, but I completely forgot about Lindros. But honestly, at least he still played into his 30s.

SolidSnakeUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-15-2011, 01:12 PM
ilovetheflyers8

Were these Crosby's first two concussions, or did he have some when he was younger? I know very little about concussions, but I'm surprised if it is that bad if those were his first two, though I'm sure the fact that they were so close together matters. I hope he is able to recover fully, but it is certainly worth it for him, to take more time if needed.

ilovetheflyers8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-15-2011, 01:18 PM
Hollywood Couturier

Lindros had his first concussion when he was 25 in March of 1998. A second in January of 1999.

While Crosby was only 23 when his concussions occurred, they were both in their 6th NHL season.

Not exactly that far apart. Although Lindros' concussions at that point weren't seen as something that could jeopardize his career.

Hollywood Couturier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-15-2011, 01:18 PM
sobrien
RAFFLCOPTER

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovetheflyers8 View Post
Were these Crosby's first two concussions, or did he have some when he was younger? I know very little about concussions, but I'm surprised if it is that bad if those were his first two, though I'm sure the fact that they were so close together matters. I hope he is able to recover fully, but it is certainly worth it for him, to take more time if needed.
It may have been reported otherwise, but I think he only had one. He got the concussion against WAS during the winter classic, and he was kept in the lineup (or brought back before he should have been) and took another hit less than a week later from Hedman. So I think it was just one concussion that increased in severity due to mistreatment.

sobrien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-15-2011, 01:28 PM
mirimon

I hope he recovers (and leaves Pens organization as soon as possible...). It would be a shame if another one of the best players in the game has his career ruined by concussions.

mirimon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-15-2011, 01:40 PM
BrindamoursNose

Quote:
Originally Posted by Protest View Post
He also played into his 30's. Crosby is 23 or 24.
As a shell of his former self

Old
08-15-2011, 01:41 PM
BrindamoursNose

Quote:
I don't root for players having concussions. I'm all about broken bones, bruises and fractures, but not concussions. I don't want a person, who is the face of the NHL, to be done because of something like this that will ruin his life, not just career.

I won't celebrate that.

Old
08-15-2011, 01:49 PM
Protest
C`est La Vie

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrindamoursNose View Post
As a shell of his former self
I get what you're saying, but the original questions was

Quote:
Lindros wasn't the same by any means, but he did play. That's why I made that statement.

Protest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-15-2011, 01:57 PM
Haute Couturier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyerfan808 View Post
I think they will be cutting down hard on certain kinds of hits: headhunting, blindside hits, hits from behind, boarding, etc. will probably earn you a Matt Cookesque type of suspension: 5-10 games and more depending on the severity. I also think that with Colie Campbell stepping down and Shanahan stepping in we will probably see blind justice, which I think is a good thing. I think the NHL may turn to the NFL's style of fines and suspensions where a player who commits the act is fined and suspended regardless of intent.

Fighting on the other hand I don't think will be taken out of the sport. Anyone who has ever played understands this.
I don't think fighting will be removed in the near future, but it will be eventually removed from the game if more former fighters die tragically and are found to have CTE. I think it's a matter of time.

Haute Couturier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-15-2011, 01:57 PM
litflyersfan

Quote:
You forgot the

I doubt this one incident is a career ender but he might turn into this guy if it keeps happening.

litflyersfan is offline   Reply With Quote