HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Ward info

Old
08-15-2011, 11:47 AM
Blades of Steel
log off.

vCash: 50
Ward info

Hey guys just curious as to your thoughts on Joel ward? What can we expect from him in d.c.? What will your team miss from losing him ? Thanks all.

Blades of Steel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-15-2011, 11:50 AM
Top 6 Spaling

vCash: 500
He is one the the best players along the boards I have ever seen. I would take him in a 1-1 puck battle over anyone. He's a gutsy guy, will give 100% every night. Likes to stand in front of the net and battle for pucks there.

Other than that, pretty useless. I honestly think you will be very disappointed. He's a good player, but not 3 million good. Like I said, a true heart and soul guy that you will love on your team, just not worth the cap hit.

Last edited by Top 6 Spaling: 08-15-2011 at 11:58 AM.
Top 6 Spaling is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-15-2011, 11:51 AM
thomas magnum

Quote:
Originally Posted by gopreds9 View Post
He is one the the best players along the boards I have ever seen. I would take him in a 1-1 puck battle over anyone. He's a gutsy guy, will give 100% every night. Likes to stand in front of the net and battle for pucks there.

Other than that, pretty useless. I honestly think you will be very disappointed. He's a good players, but not 3 million good. Like I said, a true heart and soul guy that you will love on your team, just not worth the cap hit.
You'll love him, You'll love him not, You'll love him, You'll love him not, You'll love him, You'll love him, You'll love him not, You'll love him, You'll love him not, You'll love him, You'll love him, You'll love him not, You'll love him, You'll love him not, You'll love him...

thomas magnum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-15-2011, 12:22 PM
triggrman
HFBoards Sponsor

If you need someone that can really lead a cycle, Ward is your guy. He's a big body with decent hands.

He's slow and does not transition to defense well.

triggrman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-15-2011, 12:22 PM
TMI
Mod Supervisor

He has a big body that's hard to move, so that makes him a good grinder. He can battle along the boards, but once he wins the puck it's really up in the air if he'll make a good play with it. He'll stand in front of the crease, but don't expect him to be another Holmstrom. Not very fast. He has just enough hands to make you think he can do something with the puck, but more often than not he'll look like someone put cement in his gloves. Great personality. Great locker room guy. Will play well in a third or fourth line grinder role, and maybe can occasionally be plugged into a top six role just to provide the board play. Don't expect play offs Ward, and don't expect the $3m price tag to look like a bargain. Honestly, don't expect it to look like anything other than an overpayment.

TMI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-15-2011, 12:27 PM
crossxcheck

Send a message via AIM to crossxcheck Send a message via MSN to crossxcheck Send a message via Yahoo to crossxcheck
Pretty much what everyone else said. Great heart and soul guy who gives it his all every shift. You'd be tickled pink if you'd signed him for $1m, but will be disappointed at what you get for a $3m price tag.

crossxcheck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-15-2011, 12:36 PM
RaiderDoug

Great guy.

But you just made the worst signing of this free agent period offering 3 mil for this guy.

Not kidding- he's a 4th line grinder who somehow got hot in the playoffs.

RaiderDoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-15-2011, 12:37 PM
roseyc

I think you'll be pleasantly surprised. He was on our checking line for most of the season and for the reason his stats didn't reflect well and when he was placed on a scoring line with Legwand that line clicked and rode the wave down the stretch and was one of the reasons we made the playoffs and in the playoffs you know what happen that he was one of the reasons we took Van to 6 games and he and Legwand did all our scoring during that series. 3 ml isn't a lot of money for any team that spends to the cap but for a team that imposes it's own cap it is a lot of money so you got a bargain. Ward won't lead any team in scoring but on a team like the Caps who need a power forward and someone in front of net on the pp he's your man with Green and Ovy and Semin and Backstrom and Knuble he'll give you grit that you've been missing

roseyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-15-2011, 12:46 PM
TMI
Mod Supervisor

I keep seeing that comment from you, rosey. That he spent most of his time on a checking line. The guy is a checker. That is his role. Just putting a guy on a scoring line isn't going to turn him into a scorer, even if he had a pretty good block of 12 games. He still is only likely to put up something between 10-15 goals. If Ward is playing top six minutes it's because you have injuries, not because he should be playing there.

Old
08-15-2011, 12:55 PM
Xavier Laflamme*

His situation reminds me of Max Talbots. Talbot was clutch in the finals against Detroit and basically got his payday off of that performance. A lot of the time post season success doesn't translate to regular season success.

Xavier Laflamme* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-15-2011, 01:02 PM
I Will Son
An Army of One

He doesnt lose often if at all on the Boards. He has the strength of an OX. He will get you 15 goals, maybe 20 if he plays on the PP with Ovie and Backstrom. But dont expect him to, hes more of a 15 goal 30 pt guy. Cant do much more than that, but very nice guy and guy you want on your team.

I Will Son is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-15-2011, 01:03 PM
Blades of Steel
log off.

vCash: 50
Thanks for the info guys, I was too seeing it as a over payment but just wanted to get a idea of what to expect. Hopefully he fits right in and helps make us tougher to play against in the playoffs.

Blades of Steel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-15-2011, 01:09 PM
TMI
Mod Supervisor

To add a little more, he is certainly strong, but he isn't a tough guy by any means. He will hit, but he won't throw those big hits that make other teams think twice before playing the puck. He won't mix it up between the whistles very much, if at all. The only grit he will add is his ability to grind along the boards. Definitely don't look for him to be a tough-guy type.

Old
08-15-2011, 01:13 PM
roseyc

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThirdManIn View Post
I keep seeing that comment from you, rosey. That he spent most of his time on a checking line. The guy is a checker. That is his role. Just putting a guy on a scoring line isn't going to turn him into a scorer, even if he had a pretty good block of 12 games. He still is only likely to put up something between 10-15 goals. If Ward is playing top six minutes it's because you have injuries, not because he should be playing there.
Is Legwand a checker he played most of the year on the checking line and his production increased when he was taken off the checking line. Ward's history was 17,13,10 for the 3 years he played here and not just a one year fluke in the playoffs he scored 2 goals in last years playoffs. The money is the reason he is not here. But for a team like Wash he will be on an offensive minded team and will play on the pk and he'll fly under the radar not counted on to score like he was needed to here..well anyone who can score here is counted on here. He'll help them ..we'll see if your correct

Old
08-15-2011, 01:27 PM
worstfaceoffmanever
These Snacks Are Odd

His biggest weakness is his skating, but he thinks the game well and generally makes good decisions with and without the puck. He takes his game to another level in the playoffs, as well, which is something Washington seems to be in short supply of.

Ward will win over fans with his attitude, though. I've never heard a bad word said about the guy off the ice in his time here. I think he said he wanted to be a teacher when he retired, which is something I have a lot of respect for.

worstfaceoffmanever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-15-2011, 02:20 PM
PredsV82
No

vCash: 130
Watching him play night in and night out you wont be disappointed.... but when you look at the stats after game 40 or so you will probably ask, "why did we pay 3 mil per for him?"

we will miss him, sentimentally, but I think we will replace his production rather easily

PredsV82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-15-2011, 02:36 PM
Viqsi
carrying the flag

Send a message via AIM to Viqsi
Quote:
Originally Posted by roseyc View Post
Is Legwand a checker he played most of the year on the checking line and his production increased when he was taken off the checking line.
By this impeccable logic, Jordin Tootoo will solve the Preds' scoring woes if only he was moved to the first line.

You need to be capable of playing at that level first. Legwand is. Ward, at present, isn't. He could possibly be a good tertiary scoring forward, but expecting any major increases in offense from him is a bit silly.

(And since when was he "counted on to score" here? Last I checked the guys being counted on were folks like Hornqvist, Erat, Wilson, Dumont, Sullivan, Kostitsyn when he arrived...)

Thanks, Howson, for cleaning up MacLean's toxic waste. Welcome, Kekalainen; let's get good things built!
Viqsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-15-2011, 03:24 PM
TMI
Mod Supervisor

Quote:
Originally Posted by roseyc View Post
Is Legwand a checker he played most of the year on the checking line and his production increased when he was taken off the checking line. Ward's history was 17,13,10 for the 3 years he played here and not just a one year fluke in the playoffs he scored 2 goals in last years playoffs. The money is the reason he is not here. But for a team like Wash he will be on an offensive minded team and will play on the pk and he'll fly under the radar not counted on to score like he was needed to here..well anyone who can score here is counted on here. He'll help them ..we'll see if your correct
O'Reilly went down with his broken leg in January. After that we never really had an option of playing Legwand on a checking line. Even still, the years in which Legwand played a checking line role he produced at a higher rate than Ward ever has. Legwand has also had a lower PPG% than Ward's highest (.44%) only once in his career, during his rookie season.

Again, I like Ward, but if Washington gave him $3m expecting anything more than a board battler who works hard on every shift and seems to be able to step his intensity up to match that of his opponents (i.e. stepping it up in the play offs) they will be disappointed. He is what he is, and a scoring line forward he is not. He needs to be on a checking line role. It's where he is best utilized. Legwand, on the other hand, is better utilized on a good two-way line, but can very effectively center of a strict shut down line, too. They just aren't comparable

Old
08-15-2011, 04:29 PM
DontCallPlayersStuds
It's weird and gross

bear in mind that rosey has bet me, for the upcoming season, that Ward will score more goals than Sergei Kostitsyn.

DontCallPlayersStuds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-15-2011, 04:41 PM
Viqsi
carrying the flag

Send a message via AIM to Viqsi
Quote:
Originally Posted by barrytrotzsneck View Post
bear in mind that rosey has bet me, for the upcoming season, that Ward will score more goals than Sergei Kostitsyn.
Do we get to see clown makeup again?

Viqsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-15-2011, 04:44 PM
Top 6 Spaling

Quote:
Only if Ward gets first line minutes with Ovi.....
and even then.....

Top 6 Spaling is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-15-2011, 05:14 PM
roseyc

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThirdManIn View Post
O'Reilly went down with his broken leg in January. After that we never really had an option of playing Legwand on a checking line. Even still, the years in which Legwand played a checking line role he produced at a higher rate than Ward ever has. Legwand has also had a lower PPG% than Ward's highest (.44%) only once in his career, during his rookie season.

Again, I like Ward, but if Washington gave him $3m expecting anything more than a board battler who works hard on every shift and seems to be able to step his intensity up to match that of his opponents (i.e. stepping it up in the play offs) they will be disappointed. He is what he is, and a scoring line forward he is not. He needs to be on a checking line role. It's where he is best utilized. Legwand, on the other hand, is better utilized on a good two-way line, but can very effectively center of a strict shut down line, too. They just aren't comparable
First of all Washington can afford to pay for a 3rd line player at 3ml we can't. I understand the price is too high I wasn't comparing Ward and Legwand other than Trotz played Legwand on the checking line. Which as I seen that Legwand shouldn't have been on the checking line. Both Legwand and Ward scoring went up when they were taken off the checking line is there a stat for that?

Old
08-16-2011, 12:13 AM
kypredsfan
Weber is OUR captain

Quote:

kypredsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-16-2011, 08:56 AM
ChibiPooky
Yay hockey!

Quote:
That would be both hilarious and awesome. Or terrible for Kostitsyn.

I think Ward will see mostly 3rd line minutes in Washington. He may see some spot second line duty as well, but I highly doubt he'll get first line minutes unless [something I can't talk about for fear of causing it to happen]. Highly doubt he will see any power play time either.

ChibiPooky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-16-2011, 12:09 PM
roseyc

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChibiPooky View Post
That would be both hilarious and awesome. Or terrible for Kostitsyn.

I think Ward will see mostly 3rd line minutes in Washington. He may see some spot second line duty as well, but I highly doubt he'll get first line minutes unless [something I can't talk about for fear of causing it to happen]. Highly doubt he will see any power play time either.
They didn't pay him 3ml to play on the checking line and other teams have injuries too. Despite the conventional thinking Wash pp wasn't that great