HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Howard Eskin To Retire From Radio Show

Old
08-15-2011, 02:34 PM
Hollywood Couturier

vCash: 500
Howard Eskin To Retire From Radio Show

http://www.philly.com/philly/blogs/p...ost-today.html

Not set in stone yet but supposedly he's done with his every day show.

Figured it warranted it's own thread even though everyone in the city hates him.

There is a god...

"I Came Here To Bury Caesar, Not Praise Him" - Roy Halladay
Hollywood Couturier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-15-2011, 02:45 PM
ShawnTHW
@ShawnTHW

Best news I've heard all day.

ShawnTHW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-15-2011, 02:49 PM
Phileeguy
G's got good hands.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollywood Couturier View Post
http://www.philly.com/philly/blogs/p...ost-today.html

Not set in stone yet but supposedly he's done with his every day show.

Figured it warranted it's own thread even though everyone in the city hates him.

There is a god...
But is God a benevolent God? Less Eskin is fine by me, but I've got a sneaky suspicion/hunch he's got something cooking on a bigger or national stage. He's been on various ESPN programs already and has filled in on the Dan Patrick show multiple occasions.

Worst case scenario is he goes up to Bristol and debates Skip Bayless daily. My head would explode.

Phileeguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-15-2011, 03:02 PM
OriginJM
watch out im smart

but whos going to break our blockbuster trades now

OriginJM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-15-2011, 03:49 PM
pelts35.com

Good riddence. I suspect that Missanelli kicking his a** in ratings has a lot to do with it.

I wonder if Jody Mac will take that spot, although I'd love to see WIP reunite Mac and Mac and push the Cuz to Eskin's spot with Ike.

pelts35.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-15-2011, 04:14 PM
Jray42

vCash: 91
Finally!

Jray42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-15-2011, 04:28 PM
JVR21
G

Now we won't have a ********* who hangs up on people when they've proven he's wrong or when he disagrees.

JVR21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-15-2011, 04:42 PM
Sawdalite
AbleWasIEreISawLupul

Sawdalite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-15-2011, 09:16 PM
Flyrs21

I can start listening to 610 again in the afternoon. probably haven't really listened to the afternoon show in about 8 years

Flyrs21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-15-2011, 11:48 PM
XS Chop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phileeguy View Post
But is God a benevolent God? Less Eskin is fine by me, but I've got a sneaky suspicion/hunch he's got something cooking on a bigger or national stage. He's been on various ESPN programs already and has filled in on the Dan Patrick show multiple occasions.

Worst case scenario is he goes up to Bristol and debates Skip Bayless daily. My head would explode.
Just heard a rumor he's the new play by play announcer for the Flyers on CSN. They've had him locked in a room for the last 5 hours while Jonesy tries to explain icing to him. He still doesn't get it...

XS Chop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-16-2011, 12:02 AM
Terence Peterman

I'd care, but I stopped listening to WIP years ago.

Terence Peterman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-16-2011, 06:27 AM
DeadPhish5858
Rumham!

vCash: 200
Send a message via AIM to DeadPhish5858
I don't listen to 610 much besides Flyers games, but this is great news. That guy was horrible.

DeadPhish5858 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-16-2011, 07:31 AM
chimrichalds18
the key

thaaaaaaaaaaaat's a shame

chimrichalds18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-16-2011, 04:14 PM
Hockeypete49
How you like me now!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Blaine View Post
I'd care, but I stopped listening to WIP years ago.
Same here. Just to corn ball for me.

Hockeypete49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-17-2011, 02:23 PM
youthoftoday

Quote:
Originally Posted by pelts35.com View Post
Good riddence. I suspect that Missanelli kicking his a** in ratings has a lot to do with it.

I wonder if Jody Mac will take that spot, although I'd love to see WIP reunite Mac and Mac and push the Cuz to Eskin's spot with Ike.
One of the articles I read did say ratings had a lot to do with it.
I loved Mikey Miss back in the day with Fredricks, but he did get really annoying at the end of his run. I still can't believe they paired him with Eskin. I assume they did it just because they wanted him to quit which he ended up doing.
Since he came back to 97.5, he's been way more tolerable. I think he reinvented himself to become the anti-Eskin. He definitely was less confrontational with the callers than he was years ago and obviously with Eskin stepping down, it worked.

While it never was really noticable on air, I don't think Glen got along with Jody towards the end. I like Jody, but he needs to be solo. BTW, how long has he been back at WIP? I heard him on there for the first time a week or ago when I was driving to the beach one night. I was actually shocked to hear him.
Rumor was that Glen and Cuzz would move into Eskin's spot. That should be interesting because I think Mike and Anthony are still pretty good friends.

Maybe Rob Ellis gets partnered with someone for the mid-day show. I like his work and he's another guy on the station that likes hockey!

youthoftoday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-17-2011, 03:02 PM
pelts35.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by youthoftoday View Post
One of the articles I read did say ratings had a lot to do with it.
I loved Mikey Miss back in the day with Fredricks, but he did get really annoying at the end of his run. I still can't believe they paired him with Eskin. I assume they did it just because they wanted him to quit which he ended up doing.
Since he came back to 97.5, he's been way more tolerable. I think he reinvented himself to become the anti-Eskin. He definitely was less confrontational with the callers than he was years ago and obviously with Eskin stepping down, it worked.

While it never was really noticable on air, I don't think Glen got along with Jody towards the end. I like Jody, but he needs to be solo. BTW, how long has he been back at WIP? I heard him on there for the first time a week or ago when I was driving to the beach one night. I was actually shocked to hear him.
Rumor was that Glen and Cuzz would move into Eskin's spot. That should be interesting because I think Mike and Anthony are still pretty good friends.

Maybe Rob Ellis gets partnered with someone for the mid-day show. I like his work and he's another guy on the station that likes hockey!
I think Jody Mac has been back for about 2 weeks or so.

Old
08-18-2011, 09:48 AM
Protest
C`est La Vie

Apparently they're also moving the station to 94.1 and getting rid of YSP.

http://www.rbr.com/radio/wip-am-to-a...simulcast.html

I used to love YSP back when I was in high school. Opie and Anthony, Mandatory Metallica, Rockers, Loud and Local... From what I've listened to lately, which admittedly isn't much, they play crappy 80's hair bands, and other overplayed music. You can pay Pearl Jam, but why the same 3 songs all the time?

Anyway, Gargano and Macnow are moving to the afternoon/evening, and Michael Barkann is doing the morning/afternoon with Ike Reese. The fact that Eskin is nowhere to be found is by far the best part.

Protest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-18-2011, 10:24 AM
might2mash
Post-apocalyptic

Send a message via AIM to might2mash
Quote:
Originally Posted by Protest View Post
Apparently they're also moving the station to 94.1 and getting rid of YSP.

http://www.rbr.com/radio/wip-am-to-a...simulcast.html

I used to love YSP back when I was in high school. Opie and Anthony, Mandatory Metallica, Rockers, Loud and Local... From what I've listened to lately, which admittedly isn't much, they play crappy 80's hair bands, and other overplayed music. You can pay Pearl Jam, but why the same 3 songs all the time?

Anyway, Gargano and Macnow are moving to the afternoon/evening, and Michael Barkann is doing the morning/afternoon with Ike Reese. The fact that Eskin is nowhere to be found is by far the best part.
I'll be happy that Eskin is gone, but this won't save WIP in my opinion. The lineup of 97.5 is better imo (except for national Football & Basketball in the Morning Show), and the demographics they're winning aren't really just because they're on FM...

might2mash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-18-2011, 10:31 AM
Hollywood Couturier

I really dislike Barkann.

Hollywood Couturier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-18-2011, 10:35 AM
Protest
C`est La Vie

Quote:
Originally Posted by might2mash View Post
I'll be happy that Eskin is gone, but this won't save WIP in my opinion. The lineup of 97.5 is better imo (except for national Football & Basketball in the Morning Show), and the demographics they're winning aren't really just because they're on FM...
I only listen during my commutes, but I'd rather listen to WIP in the morning then Mike and Mike because I prefer the local stuff and also because Keith Jones/Ricky Botallico/Morganti usually offset Cataldi's shtick for me.

I don't really like Missanelli by himself. He's a bajillion times better than Eskin, but I'm not big on how he is his biggest fan. I like him when's he's working with someone else because he reigns it in some.

I can't speak about the other shows, so I'll take your word for it.

Protest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-18-2011, 12:14 PM
kicksave27

Double fist pump. I hate howard, and get no AM reception in my area (power lines). Now i can finally clearly listen to the flyers clearly.

Kinda sucks for wysp's morning show, I liked Bonaduchi. The only "today's" music is 88.5 or 104.5 And I refuse to pay for XM, it's akin to bottled water for me.

I like the "color" guys more than the hosts. I like jonesy & Al more than Angelo; and I like Dutch more than whomever he is with. When mis had sir charles on, and lead into Dutch and they were trading stories, it was the best radio i've heard in a long time.

I liked Mac & Mac on WIP back in the day though. They were polite to callers and not self important. Too many pundents, especially howard thought they were just as or more important than the game.

Now if they can just get phillies games simulcast on an FM station I'll be set.

Last edited by kicksave27: 08-18-2011 at 12:20 PM.
kicksave27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-18-2011, 12:25 PM
Gert B Frobe

I wish they would pull Jones or Morganti off the morning show and put them on the mid-day slot. There are a few guys - like Jody Mack and Glen MacDonald that actually like hockey - not just the Flyers - but they don't really know the game outside of Philadelphia. Ray Didinger knows a hell of a lot more about hockey than most of the hosts on WIP.

The morning show is just plain awful - Citaldi is such a foul pervert. I feel so bad for the girls that come on that show for him gawk at. He's like an older, uglier, non-funny version of Stern. I have seen him a couple of times at the beach in Wawa - he keeps his sunglasses and a hat on so his "fans" won't harass him.

Gert B Frobe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-18-2011, 01:40 PM
Phileeguy
G's got good hands.

I don't know how much this will help WIP. Probably some at first, but I guess it'll end up to be just marginally positive.

Cataldi may be a jackass at times, but he's local and covers what we want to hear first thing in the morning for the most part, and your alternative is Mike and Mike on the other station, and Greeny can be pretty annoying in his own right. I think 97.5 cedes this timeslot, knowing it's not going to win this battle, for now.

The next show I think is most crucial to WIP's new programming in turning things around. Barkann is okay in my book, and a fair amount of people seem to like him so they're probably banking on some DNL fans tuning in earlier in the day to listen to him along with Ike. As for Ike himself, I'm kinda glad he got out of doing that 4 hour stretch with Eskin, perhaps it'll prolong his life. Unfortunately he's still got that voice that sounds a little too gravelly/grating to my ears so cutting him back to 3 hours is fine by me.

And since it's cut to 3 hours the afternoon show starts at 1pm, which undercuts the competitions afternoon show start by an hour. Which is why the 10-1 show is most important in my books in terms of keeping people interested up to the start of the next show and not turning them off until 2pm and the start of Missanelli. Still, as much as Gargano and Macnow's show is pretty much the polar opposite to it's decades long predecessor in terms of host personality, I do think that pairing needed a shakeup, not just a new time slot. Hopefully they've got some new show ideas to bring along.

Rob Ellis nightly starting at 6 is good for me. He's going to get cut off plenty of times during the year by various games, but what can you do? A guaranteed hour is better than nothing. If I had my druthers I would've preferred Ellis in the afternoon, and give Macnow back his solo evening slot, where that could actually be a haven for people who want to call and talk hockey again.

Phileeguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-18-2011, 01:48 PM
pelts35.com

I'm very disappointed by losing WYSP. I like 94.1 for music much more than 93.3. For a big city, I think Philly has the worst radio choices. To be honest, Scranton/Wilkes-Barre and Harrisburg have much better FM radio than Philly does.

Old
08-18-2011, 01:49 PM
might2mash
Post-apocalyptic

Send a message via AIM to might2mash
Quote:
Originally Posted by kicksave27 View Post
Now if they can just get phillies games simulcast on an FM station I'll be set.
Yeah, they really need to get on this. There's an HD radio simulcast which is nice, but it's easy to lose that signal where I live.

might2mash is offline   Reply With Quote