Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Minnesota Wild
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Analyzing 2012 and Beyond

Old
08-13-2011, 04:49 AM
thomast

vCash: 500
Play Granlund as a winger for 1 year, or if he rips it up at FEL keep him as a center.

1PP unit Heatley-Koivu-Granlund

That's IMO perfect PP-line. Koivu makes room and hustles, Granlund make's the plays. Granlund's passing ability+heatley's shot=pure gold.

Play Granlund and setogutchi together.

thomast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2011, 06:05 AM
Puhis
@Puhis46

Send a message via MSN to Puhis Send a message via Skype™ to Puhis
I think Granlund would actually be better as a winger, after following his play in FEL and WC.

Give him a goal-scoring center and he'd be magical.

Puhis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2011, 08:11 AM
forthewild

here is a great article on Brodin, he played limited time and no pp time last year with his SEL team, he was mainly used to shut guys down but his coach for WJC is gushing about him, what i love is that he is motivated and has the drive to be better.

this guy clearly doesn't like losing as it seems and goes the extra mile to be better. its hard to see a weakness in his game which is eerie to type for a 18 year old.

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=586052

Quote:
LAKE PLACID, N.Y. -- Jonas Brodin went all the way to Buffalo last year and he didn't even get a T-shirt out of it.

Brodin played in two exhibition games for Team Sweden prior to the 2011 World Junior Championship, but was left off the final roster prior to the start of the tournament, and had to follow the event from home as Sweden finished fourth.

Being so close motivated the 6-foot-1, 166-pound defenseman to improve his game, and he's done that to the point where he might be Sweden's most important player at the position heading into the 2012 WJC.

"We have different kind of defensemen, but he's definitely one of my best right now," coach Roger Ronnberg told NHL.com. "He's really a true quarterback out there. He's really leading his unit every time.

"He's smart with the puck but he's also really smart without the puck. He can shut down players and play the PK. He's a good overall defenseman."

Brodin had a goal and an assist Thursday in Sweden's 8-4 defeat of Finland. Through four games here at this week's junior evaluation camp, he has 2 goals and 4 assists.

"We got lots of good (defensemen), but I think he's the one with the most talent," teammate Max Friberg told NHL.com. "He's a great player."

Added Sweden captain Johan Larsson: "If you look out there, he's dominant. He's so smart, he's so good. So good with the puck. … It looks like now he's our best defenseman. He's really important. He's really good on the power play and good in the (penalty kill) box, playing 5-on-5."

Brodin felt he didn't play his best game Thursday, but overall he rated the experience here a good one.

"When I play with Farjestad (in Swedish Elite League), I play with men and I don't play power play," he told NHL.com. "But when I come here with the national team, I play power play, (penalty kill), get more ice time. I like to play power play. It's good."

It's certainly better than last year, when he came so close to making the team.

"I played two practice games last year, against Canada and Switzerland, then I went home," Brodin said.

The snub motivated him, and while he finished his season in Farjestad with just 4 assists in 42 games, he had 2 goals in 14 playoff games. Not bad for a 17-year-old playing limited time against grown men.

The Minnesota Wild certainly liked what they saw, and selected him with the 10th pick of the 2011 Entry Draft.

"Jonas Brodin is an elite-skating defenseman," said Wild Assistant GM Brent Flahr. "He's got really good puck-moving ability, really thinks the game well. He played in Farjestad on a championship team in the Swedish Elite League, played regularly for most of the year, and that's a huge step for a young player. To see his composure and sense, his natural ability to play the game ...

"I was over there watching in the championship series against Adam Larsson and those players, and he really played well. Then he joined the Under-18 team with Sweden partway through the tournament and really helped them out and got to the final game. He's a terrific skater and has a terrific mind for the game."

The Wild also wasted little time getting Brodin signed, agreeing to a three-year, entry-level contract that was signed July 12 -- Brodin's 18th birthday.

"It was a fantastic feeling," he said of signing his first NHL contract. "It was a dream come true. It's every guy's dream to sign an NHL contract."

Brodin will spend at least another season in Farjestad, where the goal is to add some muscle, which hopefully will improve a shot that already looks pretty good. He'll also see more ice time in his second season with Farjestad.

"Realistically, he needs to get physically stronger," Flahr told the Wild's website. "He's going to a very good program, a very good team. He'll play more this year and it will be a good place to develop. He'll hopefully get a chance to play over here during the world juniors. It should be a real good year for him. Hopefully he can come to camp next year and compete for a position."

The world juniors also is something that's on Brodin's mind. He said a spot on the team that will go to Calgary and Edmonton in December will be a driving force for him the first half of the season. But barring injury, he already has a spot locked up.

"I have problems with seeing something else," said Ronnberg. "Jonas is so good, and he's not just a skill guy. He also competes every night and he's going to be important player for this team."

forthewild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2011, 09:39 AM
heksagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puhis View Post
I think Granlund would actually be better as a winger, after following his play in FEL and WC.

That's what I have been thinking too. He was magical in the WHC where he was a winger.

Goal-scoring centers, eh? Imagine how would Granlund look with Stamkos!

"Great pass from Granlund to Stamkos, One-timer, Scores!"

heksagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2011, 09:50 AM
Foxlockbox
:laugh: is my period

Quote:
Originally Posted by heksagon View Post
That's what I have been thinking too. He was magical in the WHC where he was a winger.

Goal-scoring centers, eh? Imagine how would Granlund look with Stamkos!

"Great pass from Granlund to Stamkos, One-timer, Scores!"

Overdoing it.

Foxlockbox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2011, 12:11 PM
squidz*
dun worry he's cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigT2002 View Post
Can't we just move him down to 3rd/4th line like he wants with Granlund comes??

Koivu
Granlund
Cullen
Brodziak

He wants to be a grinder center anyways??
Brodziak is pretty much the definition of a third line center. He's capable of playing second line if needed, but I can't imagine he wants to play on a fourth line. If you're Brodziak and you're fairly confident you can find a third line center job on another team, are you really going to play fourth line minutes in Minnesota for the same pay? I don't want to see the front office paying him more than he's worth just to play a position he's better than. I'd love to keep Brodziak, but unless we find a way to move Cullen, I don't see how we can do it.

squidz* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2011, 12:16 PM
GopherState
Repeat Offender...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caior89 View Post
I think that Erik Haula will crack the NHL in two/three years and your guys will realize that the kid exist.

Thats all for me, hate predictions.
I know Erik Haula exists. Can't wait to see him exist some more this season.

"Will beats skill when skill doesn't have enough will."
-Doug Woog
1974 1976 1979 2002 2003 2014?
GopherState is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2011, 03:17 PM
saywut

Quote:
Originally Posted by rynryn View Post
If the team is chugging along at a relatively safe playoff pace I don't know if they'd pack off any of our starters for picks, and I really doubt they'd throw down a good prospect for what security we could get for him (aging vet UFA most likely) as the team's focus has shifted to Future mode.

Bubble team...Again I don't see us dishing our prospects for rentals. But if something enticing enough comes along I could see one or two expiring contracts moved for picks

Out of the playoffs...Expiring contracts will be shopped hard, obviously, and probably even safer RFAs like Latendresse if something looks horribly wrong on the ice this year.
Yeah if we're in the same position as last year Brodziak's unlikely to go. Zanon could though, Its debatable whether he'll be an everyday d-man for us and based on what Yeo's said about what he wants from his d-men, Zanon doesn't really fit.

I highly doubt we trade my personal top-5 prospects(Granlund, Scandella, Coyle, Brodin, Hackett), but I could see the rest in play for the right player, even if it is a rental. Fletcher has to be feeling some heat for expecting playoffs year one and missing them both of his first 2 years.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caior89 View Post
I think that Erik Haula will crack the NHL in two/three years and your guys will realize that the kid exist.

Thats all for me, hate predictions.
Well I expect him to play out his 4 years of college hockey, which will be 3 more years.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puhis View Post

I do feel he'd be better suited to wing, but all indications are that he's looked at as a center and will get a chance there. Coyle's(and to a lesser extent, Larsson's) talent and versatility are huge assets to allow us to play Granlund where he fits best.

saywut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2011, 04:21 PM
heksagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foxlockbox View Post

Overdoing it.
What? It was just a theoretical situation, I'm not saying that Granlund will end up as a Bolt or anything.

Old
08-13-2011, 04:23 PM
forthewild

brodziak should be able to fetch a 2nd rounder and he most likely will be traded unless he is willing to take a fair deal.

a lot of that depends on how almond, and mcmillan perform, if we can fill 3rd line center with one of them or even Powe brodziak might find him self a bit more expendable.

Old
08-13-2011, 04:30 PM
heksagon

By the way, who is expected to be the 4th line center next season? Powe, Gillies? I really don't know.

Old
08-13-2011, 04:40 PM
saywut

Quote:
By the way, who is expected to be the 4th line center next season? Powe, Gillies? I really don't know.
Well Nystrom and Powe both have limited experience at center, but by all indications they are better suited to the wing. Gillies has been developed exclusively at left wing so he's going to play there.

Cody Almond is my personal odds on favorite to be our 4th line center. Mike Yeo is very aware of Almond's game, and used him in all situations in Houston last year, as his go-to forward. I would agree he did not look very good in his brief stint with the Wild last season, but I'd argue Richards never gave him an defined role in a pressure filled situation.

Other guys who could be in the mix are Warren Peters, simply because of his face-offs, though he's valuable for the Aeros for leadership. Carson McMillan and David McIntyre both also play simple games and understand center responsibilities. Casey Wellman(and to a lesser extent, Rau) is not really an ideal fit for a 4th line center role so I don't think he would be in consideration.

saywut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2011, 05:36 PM
BLBarmada

This might be corny but.....

He's mean, he's gonna be dressed in green, he's Jonas Brodin !!!!

I find It kinda catchy.

BLBarmada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2011, 10:58 PM
Circulartheory
@danccchan

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTLjunior View Post

I find It kinda catchy.

You've got my mother's sense of humor...ugh...

Circulartheory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2011, 11:48 PM
Bullrun

Predictions:

Brodin is going to be better than we could have ever asked for with the way the draft fell

Granlunds 2nd line center spot is set in stone for October 2012 - December 21 2012

Bullrun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2011, 12:41 PM
BLBarmada

Quote:
Originally Posted by danccchan View Post

You've got my mother's sense of humor...ugh...
It's better then he's big he's bald he's alex auld.

Old
08-14-2011, 01:37 PM
Foxlockbox
:laugh: is my period

Quote:
What? It was just a theoretical situation, I'm not saying that Granlund will end up as a Bolt or anything.
We would have to pay miraclious amounts to ever get Stamkos. I'd rather have 3 solid players than one superstar.

Foxlockbox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2011, 03:57 PM
BLBarmada

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foxlockbox View Post
We would have to pay miraclious amounts to ever get Stamkos. I'd rather have 3 solid players than one superstar.
Depends who the solid players are:

Well if it's Granlund, Koivu and Seto Gouchi then it's a toss up,

But if it's Grabovski, Kessel and say Mac Arthur then Stammer easily.

Old
08-14-2011, 08:42 PM
Surly Furious

vCash: 728
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullrun View Post
Predictions:

Brodin is going to be better than we could have ever asked for with the way the draft fell
Could be true - last time I felt a similar bewilderment with the Wild's choice on draft day was when they went off the board and picked Brent Burns.

Surly Furious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-15-2011, 09:12 AM
forthewild

Quote:

I find It kinda catchy.
the only problem is he isn't mean, not a physical dman at all, positioning and mind are his game

Old
08-15-2011, 12:25 PM
nickschultzfan

Granlund should be used as a top-6 center unless Coyle, Larrson, or Wellman wrestle it from him.

nickschultzfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-15-2011, 04:01 PM
BLBarmada

Quote:
Originally Posted by forthewild View Post
the only problem is he isn't mean, not a physical dman at all, positioning and mind are his game
Ya... I didn't take that into account, if he could develop a mean streak........

Old
08-16-2011, 02:06 AM
EkiE

Quote:
Ya... I didn't take that into account, if he could develop a mean streak........
no chance in hell, Brodin sounds like a hairdresser

EkiE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-16-2011, 02:20 AM
BLBarmada

Quote:
Originally Posted by EkiE View Post
no chance in hell, Brodin sounds like a hairdresser
I love the last name though....

Brodin !!!!!!!!

Old
08-16-2011, 03:08 AM
Victorious Secret
Eyebrows Defcon 1

I'm almost 100% sure Terhaar can mispronounce it.

Victorious Secret is offline   Reply With Quote