HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Roster Thoughts and Offseason Speculation for the 2011-2012 Season III

Closed Thread

Old
08-15-2011, 03:55 PM
Maynard

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Maynard
Quote:
Originally Posted by cnshockey View Post
While he could, I always like to compare Lokti to Datsyuk. No, I'm not saying he is him but he is very comparable. Both are small Russian centers who see the ice incredibly well, have good hands (Datsyuks are far better though but not like Lokti has stone hands), both are playmakers moreso than goal scorers, and both are good defensively, with Datsyuk also having the edge here. I love Lokti but he needs to be used the right way and not be jerked around playing 3rd-4th line minutes/roles.
Are you aware that Datsyuk was developed on Detroit's 4th line for 2 seasons before he broke out?

Old
08-15-2011, 03:55 PM
CNS
A World Alone

Quote:
Originally Posted by KINGS17 View Post
If Loktionov can ever develop the upper body strength that Datsyuk has maybe, but he isn't there yet.
Detroits website lists him at 5'11 194 lbs. Lokti is listed on the Kings site at 5'10 180 lbs. If Lokti could add 5-10 lbs of muscle, I think it'd definitely change his game and allow him to be a better player. Hopefully he's been working in the weight room all summer.

Old
08-15-2011, 04:04 PM
CNS
A World Alone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maynard View Post
Are you aware that Datsyuk was developed on Detroit's 4th line for 2 seasons before he broke out?
Are we Detroit? No. We have no reason to use Lokti on the 4th line after two straight seasons cut short due to injury. Also, him on the 4th line means a very soft 4th line. I'll pass.

Either let him develop in the AHL and have a year where he stays healthy (knock on wood) and continues to progress or move him to LW at the AHL level and groom him to replace Penner next off season. 4th line minutes in Lokti's case do no good.

Old
08-15-2011, 04:09 PM
The Black1963
Grit & Character

Quote:
Kopi-Lokti-Williams

If Lokti isn't moved to LW, I'd prefer that. That's **** in my pants good.
What is your logic in replacing Kopi with Lokti?

And do you really think that kings/TM/DL would EVER entertain the idea of moving Kopi to LW?

Old
08-15-2011, 04:12 PM
Buddy The Elf
Kings!

I think Loktionov needs to play a full season of pro hockey without getting injured before we start having delusions of grandeur about what he is or what he might become.

I have no problem with him playing on the 4th line if he earns a spot but he is going to have to pry it from a guy who played the role fairly well last year and has a few years of development and physical maturity on him.

I don't mind keep Stoll around but you never know, Trevor Lewis could even make him expendable. As it stands now, we really don't have anyone to replace his face off prowess. I just wanted to say prowess.

Old
08-15-2011, 04:15 PM
KINGS17
Smartest in the Room

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buddy The Elf View Post
I think Loktionov needs to play a full season of pro hockey without getting injured before we start having delusions of grandeur about what he is or what he might become.

I have no problem with him playing on the 4th line if he earns a spot but he is going to have to pry it from a guy who played the role fairly well last year and has a few years of development and physical maturity on him.

I don't mind keep Stoll around but you never know, Trevor Lewis could even make him expendable. As it stands now, we really don't have anyone to replace his face off prowess. I just wanted to say prowess.
He really does need to do this. I don't see him at having a real shot at becoming a regular for the Kings until the 2012-2013 season when either one or both of Penner and Stoll are no longer with the team.

Trevor Lewis is the 4th line center at this point and time. Would love to see him gain some more confidence and goal scoring touch this season.

Old
08-15-2011, 04:17 PM
CNS
A World Alone

Quote:
Originally Posted by RH63 View Post

And do you really think that kings/TM/DL would EVER entertain the idea of moving Kopi to LW?
No logic. It won't happen. I know it won't. But I'd kill to see it. But hey everyone thinks Lokti should be the 3rd line center and have Stoll move to RW so why not just **** around and try this?

Who knows man. Maybe moving Kopi to wing would work for him and he could become an even better player. I know its not realistic so you can calm down.

Last edited by CNS: 08-15-2011 at 04:35 PM.
Old
08-15-2011, 04:22 PM
Johnny Utah

Some of you people are all over the place.

Kings have 4 NHL centers that will be playing center this year. Kopitar, Richards, Stoll and Lewis.

Murray said this summer that he wanted Loki and Lewis at center...so that pretty much shows Loki is headed for Manchester.

Now, next year is a different story...Stoll is a UFA, so do the Kings slide Loktionov into that 3rd line center spot or re-sign Stoll? Time will tell.

Old
08-15-2011, 04:25 PM
KINGS17
Smartest in the Room

Quote:
No logic. It won't happen. I know it won't. But I'd kill to see it. But hey everyone thinks Lokti should be the 3rd line center and have Stoll move to RW so why not just **** around and try this?

Who knows man. Maybe moving Kopi to wing would work for him and he could become an even better player. I know its not realistic so you can calm your **** now.
I am going to be in the minority on this, but Loktionov is much more creative with the puck on the rush and in the offensive zone than Kopitar.

The Kings very briefly tried Loktionov centering Kopitar last year. I'm not going to bother finding the quote, but Kopitar said he had no problem with it. I think Kopitar is a much better finisher than he is a set-up man. Kopitar isn't a bad passer, he just is too indecisive at times.

Old
08-15-2011, 04:26 PM
The Black1963
Grit & Character

Quote:

Who knows man. Maybe moving Kopi to wing would work for him and he could become an even better player. I know its not realistic so you can calm your **** now.
It's this kind of post that gets you thrown under the bus by loyal kings posters (i.e. NJ thread about Peter Harrold).

Old
08-15-2011, 04:35 PM
CNS
A World Alone

Quote:
I am going to be in the minority on this, but Loktionov is much more creative with the puck on the rush and in the offensive zone than Kopitar.

The Kings very briefly tried Loktionov centering Kopitar last year. I'm not going to bother finding the quote, but Kopitar said he had no problem with it. I think Kopitar is a much better finisher than he is a set-up man. Kopitar isn't a bad passer, he just is too indecisive at times.
This is what I was thinking behind it. Kopi has showed flashes of being a really good scorer. Lokti is primarily a setup man. Lokti feeding Kopi would be killer. The problem would be seeing how Kopi adjusts to a new position after spending his entire NHL career as a center. And then it would allow us to also keep Stoll as the 3rd line center (sorry Kurri) and if we kept Penner, we'd have a damn good 3rd line with him on it.

Quote:
It's this kind of post that gets you thrown under the bus by loyal kings posters (i.e. NJ thread about Peter Harrold).
Like I care what people on the internet think?

Old
08-15-2011, 04:40 PM
KINGS17
Smartest in the Room

Quote:
This is what I was thinking behind it. Kopi has showed flashes of being a really good scorer. Lokti is primarily a setup man. Lokti feeding Kopi would be killer. The problem would be seeing how Kopi adjusts to a new position after spending his entire NHL career as a center. And then it would allow us to also keep Stoll as the 3rd line center (sorry Kurri) and if we kept Penner, we'd have a damn good 3rd line with him on it.
This is exactly what I am hoping we see more of on the PP this season. They need to keep Kopitar off the half-wall and put him on the weak side shooting pucks.

I have said before that Williams on the half-wall, with Richards on the point QB'ing the PP, with Doughty and Kopitar on the weak side firing away would be pretty deadly. We have three guys that don't mind going to the front to clean up the garbage in Penner, Brown, and Clifford.

Old
08-15-2011, 04:43 PM
The Black1963
Grit & Character

Quote:
Like I care what people on the internet think?
If you didn't care, why would you question why our posters were throwing you under the bus in the NJ thread? The truth is, you do care. You care a lot more than you'll ever admit. And the thing is, my original post to you wasn't meant as a personal post. I was just really shocked that someone would think that Kopi would be replaced as our #1 center by an unproven rookie. But you had to go and make it personal.

In any case, I'm not interested in dragging this any further.

Just know that unless something drastic happens, our top 6 is set and Lokti will not be a top 6 and definitely not our #1 center.

Old
08-15-2011, 04:44 PM
CNS
A World Alone

Quote:
This is exactly what I am hoping we see more of on the PP this season. They need to keep Kopitar off the half-wall and put him on the weak side shooting pucks.

I have said before that Williams on the half-wall, with Richards on the point QB'ing the PP, with Doughty and Kopitar on the weak side firing away would be pretty deadly. We have three guys that don't mind going to the front to clean up the garbage in Penner, Brown, and Clifford.
If Kopi's going to score on the PP, the system needs to be changed. The crap Kompon runs is brutal. Standing around, passing forever, and shooting at shin pads will do nothing.

Old
08-15-2011, 04:48 PM
CNS
A World Alone

Quote:
If you didn't care, why would you question why our posters were throwing you under the bus in the NJ thread? The truth is, you do care. You care a lot more than you'll ever admit. And the thing is, my original post to you wasn't meant as a personal post. I was just really shocked that someone would think that Kopi would be replaced as our #1 center by an unproven rookie. But you had to go and make it personal.

In any case, I'm not interested in dragging this any further.

Just know that unless something drastic happens, our top 6 is set and Lokti will not be a top 6 and definitely not our #1 center.
This was my exact post. Go look it up. Page 3 of the thread.

Quote:
Wow people throwing me under the bus right and left. It's my opinion and I don't think he's a good NHL player but apparently thats just me...
See a question mark in that post? Okay then.

The way you posted it made it seem to me that you were trying to say my idea was dumb. Sorry if I misinterpreted that.

And FYI, I DGAF what anyone on the internet thinks of me. So don't ever try and put thoughts in my head and claim that I do.

Back on topic now...

Old
08-15-2011, 04:53 PM
BlackMarket*

Quote:
This was my exact post. Go look it up. Page 3 of the thread.

See a question mark in that post? Okay then.

The way you posted it made it seem to me that you were trying to say my idea was dumb. Sorry if I misinterpreted that.

And FYI, I DGAF what anyone on the internet thinks of me. So don't ever try and put thoughts in my head and claim that I do.

Back on topic now...
So defensive (for someone who doesn't care what people on the internet think.)

Old
08-15-2011, 04:56 PM
KINGS17
Smartest in the Room

Quote:
If Kopi's going to score on the PP, the system needs to be changed. The crap Kompon runs is brutal. Standing around, passing forever, and shooting at shin pads will do nothing.
I am not going to throw Kompon completely under the bus, but he does shoulder a lot of responsibility for the PP problems. I think the puck movement improved noticeably when they put Williams on the half-wall last season and moved Kopitar into the high slot area.

I believe Williams and Richards will make much quicker decisions with the puck. Kopitar rarely threatened the defense from the half-wall by skating into the faceoff circle or to the slot to get off a shot from the half-wall. That makes it very easy on the high man in the box on his side.

Old
08-15-2011, 04:56 PM
CNS
A World Alone

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackMarket View Post
So defensive (for someone who doesn't care what people on the internet think.)
Someone tries to claim to know me and what I think is one of my biggest pet peeves in the world. It's up there with people replacing "I have" in every sentence with "I've".

Old
08-15-2011, 04:58 PM
CNS
A World Alone

Quote:
I am not going to throw Kompon completely under the bus, but he does shoulder a lot of responsibility for the PP problems. I think the puck movement improved noticeably when they put Williams on the half-wall last season and moved Kopitar into the high slot area.

I believe Williams and Richards will make much quicker decisions with the puck. Kopitar rarely threatened the defense from the half-wall by skating into the faceoff circle or to the slot to get off a shot from the half-wall. That makes it very easy on the high man in the box on his side.
I will 100% agree that it's not all Kompon's fault for the PP but when you implement an absolutely horrible system and refuse to change it for over a year and a half, I'm going to cry foul. I definitely agree with having Willy on the half wall and Kopi in the high slot. Does Richards play the point on the PP though? Not sure how much I like that. I think he'll end up being somewhere else since our point on the PP is looking like Doughty-JJ on unit 1 and then Martinez/Voynov-Stoll on the 2nd.

Old
08-15-2011, 04:59 PM
Fishhead

Kopitar isn't moving to wing. He's getting near Selke level at his position - there is a reason he has the best +/- on the team by a good margin.

He may pot a few more goals, but anything gained on the offensive end would be lost on the defensive game. He is a dominating center, and I can't think of a case where moving him to the wing would have a positive expectation.

Powerplay, I could see it.

Old
08-15-2011, 05:00 PM
sweatypickle

Quote:

yup.

Old
08-15-2011, 05:03 PM
CNS
A World Alone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishhead View Post
Kopitar isn't moving to wing. He's getting near Selke level at his position - there is a reason he has the best +/- on the team by a good margin.

He may pot a few more goals, but anything gained on the offensive end would be lost on the defensive game. He is a dominating center, and I can't think of a case where moving him to the wing would have a positive expectation.

Powerplay, I could see it.
It's been said before already but Kopi could still be the guy with the down low coverage in our own zone as a winger. Also, people are criminally underrating Lokti defensively. He's obviously not the same level as Kopi but was Kopi in the Selke talk at age 20? Lokti is very capable defensively and is only going to get better.

Old
08-15-2011, 05:12 PM
KINGS17
Smartest in the Room

Quote:
I will 100% agree that it's not all Kompon's fault for the PP but when you implement an absolutely horrible system and refuse to change it for over a year and a half, I'm going to cry foul. I definitely agree with having Willy on the half wall and Kopi in the high slot. Does Richards play the point on the PP though? Not sure how much I like that. I think he'll end up being somewhere else since our point on the PP is looking like Doughty-JJ on unit 1 and then Martinez/Voynov-Stoll on the 2nd.
Yep, he does. Who knows what they will do personnel-wise with the power play, but I think we may see Johnson and Martinez on the 2nd PP unit.

Unless the Kings are having problems winning faceoffs (entirely possible), I think Stoll's PP time may be reduced this season.

Old
08-15-2011, 05:13 PM
KINGS17
Smartest in the Room

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweatypickle View Post
yup.
They kind of already did since it happened last season even if only for a short number of shifts.

Old
08-15-2011, 05:23 PM
CNS
A World Alone

Quote:
Yep, he does. Who knows what they will do personnel-wise with the power play, but I think we may see Johnson and Martinez on the 2nd PP unit.

Unless the Kings are having problems winning faceoffs (entirely possible), I think Stoll's PP time may be reduced this season.
To me, this is unlikely. Stoll is far and away our best faceoff guy. If nothing more he'll be on to start every PP to take the faceoff. Furthermore I think the coaches love his hard shot, even though it is inaccurate. I think Stoll's wrist shot, the one he used to go 9-10 in shootouts, is deadly and if Richards does play the point, Stoll could be moved to the high slot and be told to snipe right over the goalies glove like he did in the shootout all the time. Would be much better for him because while his slapshot is hard, a hard shot does nothing if it goes wide.

Closed Thread