HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

NHL testing rule changes next week

Old
08-15-2011, 07:10 PM
brian_griffin
Measured Intangibles

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by joshjull View Post
That rule was put into play to help teams establish a forecheck. It wasn't done to stop the small handful of goalies that can handle the puck well.

In the past many goalies (regardless of the puck handling ability) would kill a forecheck by going into the corners after a dump in and holding the puck for their dmen. Since goalies can't be touched it made it very difficult to retrieve the puck for the forechecking team. The goalie would basically shield the puck and/or their dman.

That rule forces the dmen to get the puck themselves without the help of the goalie shielding the puck or dman from a forechecker. The downside of course has been dmen getting killed by foecheckers.
"since goalies can't be touched"

That right there should be changed. I'd much rather have it where goalies can be touched, but keep the trapezoid so that they CAN'T be touched there, but can play the puck outside of that and are fair game to be checked. As for the other proposals, I'm against all of them.

How about bringing back PPs where the offender sat the full 2 minutes and the team had 5-on-4 regardless of how many goals they scored. The Habs proficiency caused that rule to change to today's version.

brian_griffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-15-2011, 09:42 PM
kirby11

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by brian_griffin View Post
"since goalies can't be touched"

That right there should be changed. I'd much rather have it where goalies can be touched, but keep the trapezoid so that they CAN'T be touched there, but can play the puck outside of that and are fair game to be checked. As for the other proposals, I'm against all of them.

How about bringing back PPs where the offender sat the full 2 minutes and the team had 5-on-4 regardless of how many goals they scored. The Habs proficiency caused that rule to change to today's version.
although i think the league would be against it because of the possibility of a dramatic rise in goalie injuries, i'd love to see that idea put in place-keep the trapezoid as a safe area and allow the goalies to play the puck elsewhere at their own risk. d men would sometimes be at less risk if the goalie could move the puck quickly.
another idea: when a penalty shot is awarded, the team should get to choose between either taking the penalty shot or having a regular powerplay. after all, if a 4th liner somehow gets a breakaway and gets hauled down, it's generally fairly easy for the goalie to stop that type of player on a penalty shot. if the goalie makes the stop, his team is back to 5 on 5 hockey and basically didn't suffer as a result of the penalty.

kirby11 is offline   Reply With Quote