HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Other Leagues > Canadian Junior Hockey > OHL

*OFFICIAL* Kitchener Rangers 2011-2012 season Thread

Old
08-12-2011, 10:06 PM
EvenSteven

vCash: 500
*OFFICIAL* Kitchener Rangers 2011-2012 season Thread

We're getting close so I thought I'd start this up since most other teams have already done so.

Going by the roster listed on the Ranger website, I'll put together how the lines could/should look to start the season.

1st line: Francisco - Marcantuoni - Rieder

2nd Line: Thomson - Catenacci - Crescenzi

3rd Line: Lorentz - Faksa - Ming

4th Line: Pederson - Sterk - Lesway

I see the 1st line as our top three offensive players at their positions. MM and Toby have spent some time together already last year and Francisco, I believe, will be given every opportunity to live up to the potential that he had coming into the league.

We have too many centermen so a couple of them will have to be moved to the wing. I chose AC and Zach.

AC is in his last year and as an OHL vet and NHL signed player, there is no way he spends the season centering the 3rd line - especially on a rebuilding team. It just can't happen. To play on this team's top six this year, he'll have to be moved to the wing. If that dosen't work out, then I can see him dealt for the same reason that Ryan Ramsay was a few years ago. Vet Ramsay was too good to play 3rd line behind Roy and Richards and we needed the winger (Campbell).

Moving AC to the wing allows Faksa to center the 3rd line where he should be. I don't believe that Spott will take import Faksa and play him out of his position on the wing and with his potential, he's too good to play on the 4th line. He'll be familiarizing himself with the North American game and way of life, schooling, etc, and won't need to play a different position as well.

I think that Sterk should get the opportunity to center the 4th line which would allow Zach to graduate to the 3rd line. He shouldn't have much trouble playing there with his style of play.

Also, with Fanelli still on the roster, I believe we're going to see him at training camp. There is nothing being said right now likely because the team doesn't want a media circus started until the last possible moment. IMO, I think he plays on our blueline this season.

Bottom line though, is that our team is very young with only four players (AC, Cat, Melch, and JJ) playing their "last season". This is a total rebuilding season IMO and a finish in the bottom half of the schedule is in the cards. I think we finish anywhere from 5th to 8th in the conference - the way we sit now.

EvenSteven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2011, 10:31 PM
Ward Cornell

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvenSteven View Post
Also, with Fanelli still on the roster, I believe we're going to see him at training camp. There is nothing being said right now likely because the team doesn't want a media circus started until the last possible moment. IMO, I think he plays on our blueline this season.
Not sure if you read the article about Fanelli but with he's got medical clearance to assume full contact hockey this summer
http://www.570news.com/news/local/ar...urn-to-rangers
So I expect him to be in camp. I doubt his parents would allow him to take it this far then stop him from attending. Spott said once he got the medical clearance for full contact he'll be invited.

Defence:
Murphy, Melchiori
Young, McEneny
Jasper, (see below)
Genovese Gilbert and Fanelli will alter for the 5th, 6th and 7th

I agree on the forwards but the wild cards still could be Zachary Aston-Reese or Matt Peca. In which if one or both does sign that AC will sent elsewhere.
While AC can be strong defensively he really does need to pick-up his play-making, having 11 assists total as a 18 year-old is intolerable. Having him play with Cat (who should be a 25+/- goal scorer) and Thomson (who came into the league with high offensive potential and a rated 2nd rd NHL pick) may hinder their offense.

Last edited by Ward Cornell: 08-12-2011 at 10:36 PM.
Ward Cornell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2011, 11:29 PM
RangerRed

I'd try and move Crescenzi with Morrison so that we can get a player back in a deal instead of simply draft picks. I really don't see AC as an offensive enough player for a top six role and we're going younger in a big way.with the prospective appearances of Matthew Peca and Zachary Aston-Reese, AC is expendable.

Brandon Francisco - Matia Marcantuoni - Tobias Rieder

I can agree that the offensive talent on this line should make it a formidable first offensive unit. Whether he's ready for it or not, Matia (along with Ryan Murphy) is now the face of this franchise. They'll sink or swim, but it's easy to see these three being one of the scariest Rangers trios since Azevedo/Halischuk/Spaling.

Ben Thomson - Michael Catenacci - Matthew Peca

When you consider how close Peca was to reporting to Kingston, Kitchener's odds of putting him in blue, white and red seem much greater. You can't put two midgets out on the ice without someone to give them a little room. Thomson has some offensive skill that he hasn't really had the opportunity to showcase since he's started his time in Kitchener. I think he's this year's David Clarkson.

Zach Lorentz - Radek Faksa - Eric Ming

I really like this line. Lorentz works his butt off on every shift. Faksa is supposed to be very offensively talented with size and hockey sense. I really liked the second half I saw from Eric Ming where he stopped expecting the ice time to be handed to him and started going out and working for it.

Brent Pederson - Zachary Aston-Reese - Brandon Lesway

Well, in the immortal words of Pete Townshend, the kids are alright. Pederson is the big body on this line with the talented Aston-Reese playing pivot. I really expect Lesway and Sterk to shuffle around a bit in the spot on the right side. The fourth line gives Spott options because he has some talent buried here that could be moved up if players above them don't perform.

RangerRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2011, 07:54 AM
dirk

The Rangers have also signed C Curtis Meighan (1994) although he is not listed on the roster, he is signed and will be there....

dirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2011, 10:08 AM
Hitman

Quote:

2nd Line: Thomson - Catenacci - Crescenzi

3rd Line: Lorentz - Faksa - Ming
I'd move Faksa to the wing on line two and drop AC to third line centre.
IMO both Thomson and Crescenzi have a lot of work to do if they want to earn second line minutes. To play there and stay there they have to chip in with a lot more points than they have in the past and I'm starting to feel all the potential Ben showed in his rookie year may not amount to much on the score sheet.

Don't get me wrong both can be quality contributors in other ways but line two needs a little more scoring punch than Thomson and AC can help provide. Also I think Faksa will prove to be far too valuable to only be playing third line minutes.

I have a feeling we'll see Aston-Reese in the line up as well but I'm not sold on Peca signing yet....we'll see.

Hitman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2011, 01:32 PM
Ward Cornell

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirk View Post
The Rangers have also signed C Curtis Meighan (1994) although he is not listed on the roster, he is signed and will be there....
He's impressed me at both rookie camps!

Old
08-13-2011, 08:36 PM
EvenSteven

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitman View Post
I'd move Faksa to the wing on line two and drop AC to third line centre.

And the minute you decide that AC has to be dropped to the 3rd line, you do what Ranger Red suggested and package him up in a deal with Morrison for youth and toughness. On a contender he may be a fit on the third line but in a rebuilding year, if he can't break the top two lines, he has to go.

I didn't factor in Peca or Aston-Reese and really can't until they are signed. I forgot all about Meighan - yet another center.

Faksa may very well prove to be too talented to stay in the bottom six but I thought that was where Rieder started last year didn't he?

Of course, this is an initial look. Everyone knows Spott will tweek the lineup here and there soon enough.

Old
08-14-2011, 10:01 PM
Hitman

Quote:
And the minute you decide that AC has to be dropped to the 3rd line, you do what Ranger Red suggested and package him up in a deal with Morrison for youth and toughness. On a contender he may be a fit on the third line but in a rebuilding year, if he can't break the top two lines, he has to go.

I didn't factor in Peca or Aston-Reese and really can't until they are signed. I forgot all about Meighan - yet another center.

Faksa may very well prove to be too talented to stay in the bottom six but I thought that was where Rieder started last year didn't he?

Of course, this is an initial look. Everyone knows Spott will tweek the lineup here and there soon enough.
Just haven't seen enough scoring from AC for him to be a second line guy, even on a rebuilding team.
Now maybe he steps it up. If so that changes everything and makes the Rangers a deeper team up front.

Like I said, both AC and Thomson do great things aside from scoring but if neither of them starts to put up some decent numbers then that second line's going to be pretty thin from a production stand point.

Hitman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-15-2011, 06:47 AM
SergeConstantin74
Always right.

Matthew Peca is in Quebec He's waiting for Kitchener to waive him so he can play with Quebec. We'll know tomorrow if Kitchener has agreed to waive him.

SergeConstantin74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-15-2011, 02:37 PM
BenchedGuy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ward Cornell View Post
Not sure if you read the article about Fanelli but with he's got medical clearance to assume full contact hockey this summer
http://www.570news.com/news/local/ar...urn-to-rangers
So I expect him to be in camp. I doubt his parents would allow him to take it this far then stop him from attending. Spott said once he got the medical clearance for full contact he'll be invited.

Defence:
Murphy, Melchiori
Young, McEneny
Jasper, (see below)
Genovese Gilbert and Fanelli will alter for the 5th, 6th and 7th

I agree on the forwards but the wild cards still could be Zachary Aston-Reese or Matt Peca. In which if one or both does sign that AC will sent elsewhere.
While AC can be strong defensively he really does need to pick-up his play-making, having 11 assists total as a 18 year-old is intolerable. Having him play with Cat (who should be a 25+/- goal scorer) and Thomson (who came into the league with high offensive potential and a rated 2nd rd NHL pick) may hinder their offense.
Just to play the devils advocate card. Would it surprise anyone if Fanelli went on the wing of the 3rd or 4th line? He would be a bit more protected in the fact that he would not have forwards barrelling down on him on the forecheck as a defenseman.

As for Peca, he would have to be put on waivers again and clear to leave the OHL. Dont see that happening right away anyways since Spott has been in Europe until recently. You would think Spott would want the opportunity to tell Peca what Kitchener has to offer first before putting him on waivers again.

BenchedGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-15-2011, 05:48 PM
SergeConstantin74
Always right.

I don't think it's about what 'Kitchener has to offer'.

For him, it's Quebec or Quinnipac.

Old
08-15-2011, 06:46 PM
methodfilter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SergeConstantin74 View Post
I don't think it's about what 'Kitchener has to offer'.

For him, it's Quebec or Quinnipac.
I'm not sure how well you know Kitchener, but they have a very successful record at changing players' minds and getting them to suit up for the Rangers.

A lot would have to happen for him to leave the OHL for the Q, and I don't believe he would do anything without talking to Spott first. But stranger things have happened.

methodfilter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-15-2011, 06:49 PM
methodfilter

By the way, has Faksa signed? Haven't heard much since the import draft.

Also, I have a feeling Gilbert will play more often then not. He has the same agreement Ben Thompson has. Gilbert had an NCAA scholarship for when he turned 18 but turned it down for ONLY Kitchener. He should have gone in the second round, but went to Kitchener in the 3rd as he told other teams he wasnt going to sign with them.

Old
08-15-2011, 06:57 PM
SergeConstantin74
Always right.

Quote:
Originally Posted by methodfilter View Post
I'm not sure how well you know Kitchener, but they have a very successful record at changing players' minds and getting them to suit up for the Rangers.

A lot would have to happen for him to leave the OHL for the Q, and I don't believe he would do anything without talking to Spott first. But stranger things have happened.
I know about Kitchener, I'm just saying it doesn't matter what they offer.

Old
08-15-2011, 08:21 PM
methodfilter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SergeConstantin74 View Post
I know about Kitchener, I'm just saying it doesn't matter what they offer.
Just curious how you know this well. If the Rangers don't waive him he cant go to the Q.

Everything I've read said it's a strong possibility, but far from a done deal. Especially since he has to be released first and Kitchener has yet to talk to him.

Last edited by methodfilter: 08-15-2011 at 08:26 PM.
Old
08-15-2011, 09:52 PM
EvenSteven

This Peca to Quebec thing, if it goes down, could start a disturbing precedent. It's one thing for a player to be waived through his respective league and, when nobody is interested in him, is then picked up by one of the other two leagues.

But once one player sets up a destination team in another league and simply organizes his being waived through his home league so he can play in the league of his choice is another thing altogether. Especially when said player is not willingly waived my the team holding his rights.

What if higher profile players from, say the Cornwall/Ottawa area is drafted by western conference teams and decides playing in western Quebec would be closer to home? Will Courteau and Branch put their heads together again to make it happen? You know what? They probably will because that player will still play CHL instead of NCAA and that is usually what it has taken to get Branch and Co to change/bend rules over the years.

For us Ranger fans out there, what if Derek Roy and Andre Benoit, both from the Ottawa area, held out to be waived through the league to play for nearby Hull? Maybe Kenora's Mike Richards wants to play in Brandon, which is closer. Maybe English speaking maritimers would rather play in the predominantly English speaking OHL. I know that these are extreme cases but you get my idea.

Now the Rangers have accomodated at least one player in the past with waiving him so he could play in the QMJHL. 2004 8th round pick Robert Slaney, a NFLD based player, approached the Rangers and asked to be waived through the OHL so he could play in the Q right after St.John's was awarded it's QMJHL team. He wanted to play closer to home.

But this situation is a lot different IMO. If Peca is currently in Quebec City, shouldn't there be tampering charges levied against the Remparts? If so, how are the Rangers compensated when things like picks can't go the other way.

What's the difference with this situation and the Wes O'Neill situation in Kingston a few years ago? IIRC, didn't he want to play for the Battalion? I don't remember the league or Branch or somebody putting pressure on the Fronts to waive or trade him so he'd play in the OHL. Branch shouldn't be putting pressure on the Rangers in this case either.

If I'm Spott, I demand the Remparts 2012 1st round import pick or I don't waive him period. End of story.

Old
08-15-2011, 10:13 PM
Tigers1992

Quote:
If I'm Spott, I demand the Remparts 2012 1st round import pick or I don't waive him period. End of story.
Import picks cant be traded between leagues.

Tigers1992 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-15-2011, 10:43 PM
Libbs

Quote:

What makes you think they'd be entitled to any kind compensation? Rangers didn't draft him or trade for him...they got his rights for free via waiver. The kid isn't going to report regardless.

Libbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-16-2011, 07:06 AM
Ward Cornell

Quote:
But this situation is a lot different IMO. If Peca is currently in Quebec City, shouldn't there be tampering charges levied against the Remparts? If so, how are the Rangers compensated when things like picks can't go the other way.
It wouldn't be tampering if when Peca was the property of Kingston they gave QC the right to talk with Peca (BIG IF THOUGH)!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Libbs
What makes you think they'd be entitled to any kind compensation? Rangers didn't draft him or trade for him...they got his rights for free via waiver. The kid isn't going to report regardless.
Why does it matter how they got his rights....draft, trade or waivers his rights are held by Kitchener.

Old
08-16-2011, 07:40 AM
methodfilter

I think its interesting that the Yahoo articles gives an impression that maybe Peca can't cut it in the OHL and his smaller size might be more beneficial in the Q. Obviously small, and very talented, players can do well in the OHL, but to me wouldn't you want to prove people wrong? Especially all the teams that passed on you 7 times in the draft?

If I was Tampa I would almost want him to play in the OHL. Kitchener is pretty good at turning out decent NHL players, more than the Ramparts I would say.

Maybe its the fact he wants to play for Roy? I dont know.

I just won't believe much until Spott has had a chance to sit him down and show him what there is to offer, regardless of what others are saying right now. For some reason or another, that meeting has changed a lot of pretty set minds before.

Old
08-16-2011, 05:07 PM
EvenSteven

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigers1992 View Post
Import picks cant be traded between leagues.

I understand that. If Peca wanted to play nowhere but, say, London, at least the Knights and Rangers could work out a deal. But the import draft has the only pool of players that all three CHL leagues draft players from.

Therefore, if Spott really wants too, he can dig his heals in and either make a team from another league who wants to poach a player off his roster somehow pay for that player, or Spott, Roy, Branch and Courteau can all sit over a beer and watch Peca play his first game with Quinnipiac.

If Peca wants to play CHL hockey, then make him report to Kitchener or another OHL team as that is where his rights are held. If Peca wants to play in a perseved "easier league" for a small player to play in, as the article implys, then that says a lot about his heart. It also sends quite the message to the people in Tampa. Gee, here's a guy looking for an "easy way out", for a way to pads his stats to perhaps get a better entry level contract. IF, that is really the reason, why he wants to go the the QMJHL.

If all this is true, perhaps he's isn't the type of player we need here in Kitchener after all. And, if all this is true, he best get to the NCAA and get his education cause he's gonna need it. OR, perhaps after all this speculation, he should save face and get his ass into the O and prove a lot of people wrong.

Or did Kingston give Roy permission to talk to Peca and if so, the resulting discussion caused the Fronts to waive Peca with their intention being, to allow him to go to the Q, but Spott jumped on him to try and get him to report?

If that was the case, and Spott knew that Peca was to be waived through the league to get him to the Q in a type of gentleman's agreement, much like the way the Rangers waived Slaney as I've mentioned above, then maybe Spott is taking a shot at signing him knowing that if he doesn't sign him right away, he'd agree waive him as well to allow him to go to the Q. Who knows?

Honestly, this article didn't do him any favours whatsoever. Roy should have kept his big yap shut til all the chips fell.

Last edited by EvenSteven: 08-16-2011 at 05:20 PM.
Old
08-16-2011, 05:11 PM
JSavoire

Not much noise out of Kitchener, could that be due to Spott's involvement with U18?

JSavoire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-16-2011, 05:15 PM
Ward Cornell

Quote:
I understand that. If Peca wanted to play nowhere but, say, London, at least the Knights and Rangers could work out a deal. But the import draft has the only pool of players that all three CHL leagues draft players from.

Therefore, if Spott really wants too, he can dig his heals in and either make a team from another league who wants to poach a player off his roster somehow pay for that player, or Spott, Roy, Branch and Courteau can all sit over a beer and watch Peca play his first game with Quinnipiac.

If Peca wants to play CHL hockey, then make him report to Kitchener or another OHL team as that is where his rights are held. If Peca wants to play in a perseved "easier league" for a small player to play in, as the article implys, then that says a lot about his heart. It also sends quite the message to the people in Tampa. Gee, here's a guy looking for an "easy way out", for a way to pads his stats to perhaps get a better entry level contract. IF, that is really the reason, why he wants to go the the QMJHL.

If all this is true, perhaps he's isn't the type of player we need here in Kitchener after all. And, if all this is true, he best get to the NCAA and get his education cause he's gonna need it. OR, perhaps after all this speculation, he should save face and get his ass into the O and prove a lot of people wrong.

Honestly, this article didn't do him any favours whatsoever.
My feelings exactly on all accounts!
If he wants to go to the Q maybe we can call him...Matthew "Tinman" Peca!

Old
08-16-2011, 06:58 PM
Tigers1992

Quote:
Or did Kingston give Roy permission to talk to Peca and if so, the resulting discussion caused the Fronts to waive Peca with their intention being, to allow him to go to the Q, but Spott jumped on him to try and get him to report?
Have heard this is the case

Tigers1992 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-16-2011, 08:28 PM
EvenSteven

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSavoire View Post
Not much noise out of Kitchener, could that be due to Spott's involvement with U18?

Right you are. Since the U18's are done, we can expect to hear something in the next day or so I'm hoping.