HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Nashville-Anaheim Series NHLN

Old
08-15-2011, 01:20 PM
Viqsi
carrying the flag

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Viqsi
I don't think we've blamed enough people yet.

Thanks, Howson, for cleaning up MacLean's toxic waste. Welcome, Kekalainen; let's get good things built!
Viqsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-15-2011, 03:28 PM
Adz
Eudora Wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viqsi View Post
I don't think we've blamed enough people yet.
It's Rick Nash's fault. And that funky looking cannon guy...

Adz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-15-2011, 05:10 PM
PredsChik

I get it Adzy. Last off season we were still chewing on the loss of game 5 and the depression of game 6 only to watch the ******** that we gave it up to take it all. For me personally, I was ready for our do over, for our vengence and even if it was all made up in my head, it was like the whole summer wer were waiting and ready for the new season. When I checked the boards or rumor sites or whatever, there was always something good happening that kind of made me think "wow, that sucked but they know it sucked too and are trying to fix it".

We traded Arnott, named Weber captain, changed the guard. The players that were preceived as older or in some cases "lazy" were gone or given a smaller role.

We picked up Lombardi and signed Kostitsyn. We didn't know what we were getting but the possibilities were endless. I was excited for something new to be added to our core that we already knew was envied and how it would translate on the ice.

This year, I'm meh and it sucks. I should be jumping off the wall waiting to see what this team is going to do. Counting down the days until training camp with every facebook status including "Is it time for hockey yet?" but I'm not. I'm actually in a mindset of dread. I'm dreading this season ending before it's even started. Instead of focusing on games next season, it'll be a waiting game to see what contracts are signed.

To touch on the just Weber not Shea Freakin' Weber. No, it's not all Weber's fault but last time I checked, this is his team and most signs are pointing to him not wanting to be here. It doesn't make a difference if its because of the city or team to me. The money was offered if he gave us years and we found out that his wanting to be here wasn't unconditional love like alot of us buit up in our heads. The only saving grace to me is that he chose 1 year instead of 2. Some of us, myself included, are too emotionally invested in this team. We know it's business but it doesn't change how we feel about the players or situations when they don't go the way they want them to.

We made strides as a team and as a franchise last year and the moves from the front office and Weber haven't done anything to build it up but everything to discount us.

PredsChik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-16-2011, 03:13 AM
sparkle twin
I luv u summertime

Send a message via ICQ to sparkle twin Send a message via AIM to sparkle twin
I'm as disappointed as everyone that Weber only got signed for one more year. But the more I think about it, maybe it's good. Maybe it forces DP to actually go seek out and get that piece (or pieces) that turns us from the "little franchise that could", into an actual true, year after year, contender. We started to have that 5 years ago, but then we had a sale that really set us back about 5 years. By all accounts we won't face that problem again (pray for never ever again). Back then we signed Arnott, Kariya, Dumont, traded for Sullivan, traded for Forsberg. We had the offense, but then Kariya, Radulov left and Dumont, Sullivan, Arnott all got injured and got older. Now our team is really built back up and we have our first real homegrown superstar in Shea Weber (plus Suter and Rinne) but we lack a threatening offense. And we all know what kind of driven player/person he is. He wants to win a Cup. And he knows he is going to get paid wherever he goes, so unless he is only about the money, why would he want to play here if we are never going to get the pieces to really compete for the Cup? Sure we might get lucky and have everything line up just perfectly, but chances are we won't win a Cup without some real scoring threats, not just one guy that gets 23 goals, once.

Quote:
Originally Posted by predfan98 View Post
Before they had my heart, freely given, win or lose........and now, well, prove you're deserving of our heart, boys....
Isn't that basically what Weber is saying? I want to be here, but prove that I can win a Cup here.

--

I could watch that game 6 over and over and over. It was so awesome. But so sad that it was our last home win of the season (although maybe that's a pretty good high to end on). I really loved everything they were saying about the building and fans. I love the crowd mics on TSN, you could feel the crowd through the TV. I wish FSN would get better or louder ones. I think Cuthbert and McGuire were really pulling for the Preds to get it done! It was just such an awesome night.

sparkle twin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-16-2011, 07:33 AM
predfan98

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparkle twin View Post
I'm as disappointed as everyone that Weber only got signed for one more year. But the more I think about it, maybe it's good. Maybe it forces DP to actually go seek out and get that piece (or pieces) that turns us from the "little franchise that could", into an actual true, year after year, contender. We started to have that 5 years ago, but then we had a sale that really set us back about 5 years. By all accounts we won't face that problem again (pray for never ever again). Back then we signed Arnott, Kariya, Dumont, traded for Sullivan, traded for Forsberg. We had the offense, but then Kariya, Radulov left and Dumont, Sullivan, Arnott all got injured and got older. Now our team is really built back up and we have our first real homegrown superstar in Shea Weber (plus Suter and Rinne) but we lack a threatening offense. And we all know what kind of driven player/person he is. He wants to win a Cup. And he knows he is going to get paid wherever he goes, so unless he is only about the money, why would he want to play here if we are never going to get the pieces to really compete for the Cup? Sure we might get lucky and have everything line up just perfectly, but chances are we won't win a Cup without some real scoring threats, not just one guy that gets 23 goals, once.

Isn't that basically what Weber is saying? I want to be here, but prove that I can win a Cup here.

--

I could watch that game 6 over and over and over. It was so awesome. But so sad that it was our last home win of the season (although maybe that's a pretty good high to end on). I really loved everything they were saying about the building and fans. I love the crowd mics on TSN, you could feel the crowd through the TV. I wish FSN would get better or louder ones. I think Cuthbert and McGuire were really pulling for the Preds to get it done! It was just such an awesome night.
nah, not to my mind. How can you "prove" to him that he can win a cup? Is he thinking "x" player or "y" player has to come. And how do you account for injuries....

we follow them win or lose....they are "our" team, the underdogs, the outcasts, and our stars.........and Weber is the captain.....and he said all along "i'm staying here, this is my team, blah, blah......so we believed him......and it seems as if he was saying......."well, i'll stay here "if"............there is the kicker.

so, he really was saying "show me the money" and "prove to me I can win the Cup" and then I'll stay.

I have no problem with Weber making as much money as he chooses, he just made decisions that seem contrary to what he was telling the media and fans all year....so he's just Weber now...

Come on suter, sign a long term........so we can add freakin to your name.

predfan98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-16-2011, 08:57 AM
golfmade
Go Preds Go

I personally don't like how they cut up the games being shown again on NHLN. I saw that they were showing game six and I DVR'ed it, watch it with glee knowing the outcome and the second the game is over, they end it and go straight to showing a Wings/Yotes game.

Silly me for deleting the original game six I had DVRed, with all the post game stuff and cheers and happiness.

golfmade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-16-2011, 09:52 AM
Adz
Eudora Wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfmade View Post
I personally don't like how they cut up the games being shown again on NHLN. I saw that they were showing game six and I DVR'ed it, watch it with glee knowing the outcome and the second the game is over, they end it and go straight to showing a Wings/Yotes game.

Silly me for deleting the original game six I had DVRed, with all the post game stuff and cheers and happiness.
They've been doing that for all the games and I agree. I wanted to see the handshakes in the Anaheim series. It was such a satisfying moment for us as fans to finally be on the receiving end.

Old
08-16-2011, 10:12 AM
Shea Weber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adz View Post
I think by this time last year we were already hearing how the guys were in Nashville and skating on their own...just chomping at the bit to get the season started. The passion also comes from the front office and marketing. It may have been later on, however, will concede that. See, I want that passion year around, though I will grant a one week hiatus in late July IF the FO has behaved itself.
Ya, I gotcha. I wasn't quite as involved the past few offseasons. I read articles when moves were made and I went to preseason games to see new faces, but I wasn't reading boards/discussing everyday like this summer. Obviously this offseason hasn't been as eventful as last....but I think the team will be fine (for at least this year, sigh).

The future of Weber, Suter, Rinne is pretty scary at this point, but I liked what Shea said in the conference call after arbitration, something like, 'I hope we can all get on the same page and play together for many years'. Granted he HAS to say something like that, which he has clearly done all along. I think Poile needs to really pull all three together in a face to face meeting and convince them that if they stay together he will build around them and can be something special. If they all get on the same page we could be in for some great years. :pray:

p.s. We (Preds) clearly need a :pray: icon.

Shea Weber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-16-2011, 10:51 AM
roseyc

Quote:
nah, not to my mind. How can you "prove" to him that he can win a cup? Is he thinking "x" player or "y" player has to come. And how do you account for injuries....

we follow them win or lose....they are "our" team, the underdogs, the outcasts, and our stars.........and Weber is the captain.....and he said all along "i'm staying here, this is my team, blah, blah......so we believed him......and it seems as if he was saying......."well, i'll stay here "if"............there is the kicker.

so, he really was saying "show me the money" and "prove to me I can win the Cup" and then I'll stay.

I have no problem with Weber making as much money as he chooses, he just made decisions that seem contrary to what he was telling the media and fans all year....so he's just Weber now...

So Suter doesn't want the money either ...come on all players want more money but most are realistic about their talents in the case of the big 3 they will get their money somewhere. All Weber is asking is that we get some offensive help what is wrong with that. If we can't sign our own players when they come up and develop into elite players then we need to lower our expectations when they win awards or get league wide recognition we need to trade them and make the best deal possible

roseyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-16-2011, 11:10 AM
PredsChik

Did she say Suter doesn't want the money? If he resigns with the Preds, hopefully before January 1st, he'll be worthy of a big "freaking" in his name. I'm praying to the hockey gods that he signs here because IMO, we're going to be in a situation where we have both of them or neither of them, not either/or and seeing how Weber is an RFA, their future together on this team is in Captain America's hands now.

Old
08-16-2011, 11:18 AM
TMI
Mod Supervisor

There is still the possibility that Weber wants to be sure that he, Suter, and Rinne are all on the same page before he commits longer term. That could mean he simply doesn't want to bother either of the guys with business while they take some time off, or it could mean there was a problem with one, or both, of them once the season ended. I dismissed the rumors that there was a problem between Trotz and Suter, but it is possible that one of those guys was hinting at wanting out.

I think Weber is smart enough to realize that Poile can only control so much. I don't doubt that he has had discussions with Poile about adding pieces on offense. Poile has more than hinted at it. Lately I've had a hard time believing that offense is the only hold up, though.

TMI is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-16-2011, 02:06 PM
roseyc

Quote:

I didn't mean to sound callous of my responce to what you've stated but I've conditioned myself to what these athlete's make as just part of the culture of sports. I understand your frustration in all of this. The emotions of that Anahiem series was like wringing a dishrag out I felt when Weber tied up the game in Game 5 I thought I was having a heart attack and then followed by Smithson's OT winner and then to have all of this business side is troublesome. But you do invest your emotions in all of this especially hockey more than any other sport that is why we root for them and go to the games and watch on tv and come this board to share thoughts and then they toss us aside like we were Andy's toys in Toy Story 3

Old
08-16-2011, 02:07 PM
Adz
Eudora Wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by roseyc View Post
So Suter doesn't want the money either ...come on all players want more money but most are realistic about their talents in the case of the big 3 they will get their money somewhere. All Weber is asking is that we get some offensive help what is wrong with that. If we can't sign our own players when they come up and develop into elite players then we need to lower our expectations when they win awards or get league wide recognition we need to trade them and make the best deal possible
I have no problem with Shea Weber being paid and paid well. I wanted him to take the (reportedly big) money offered to sign a long term deal HERE. $40 million for 5 years wouldn't have bothered me in the least--it would have made a lot of statements. I wanted no part of the meme that Nashville won't pay their guys and it's a training ground for the "real" NHL; I wanted no part of the rumors that Shea "really" wanted to play in Vancouver or Detroit. Now the rumors (or truth) will persist and it will be a distraction--exactly the reason why they "waited til after the playoffs" and then why the team elected arbitration--so the poachers wouldn't distract from the Preds negotiations with their offer sheets. I just feel deceived by the words and actions as compared to the results.

Old
08-16-2011, 07:19 PM
roseyc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adz View Post
I have no problem with Shea Weber being paid and paid well. I wanted him to take the (reportedly big) money offered to sign a long term deal HERE. $40 million for 5 years wouldn't have bothered me in the least--it would have made a lot of statements. I wanted no part of the meme that Nashville won't pay their guys and it's a training ground for the "real" NHL; I wanted no part of the rumors that Shea "really" wanted to play in Vancouver or Detroit. Now the rumors (or truth) will persist and it will be a distraction--exactly the reason why they "waited til after the playoffs" and then why the team elected arbitration--so the poachers wouldn't distract from the Preds negotiations with their offer sheets. I just feel deceived by the words and actions as compared to the results.
I think you said earlier in another post that if the Preds would have tried to attempt to sign or been involved with trying to get some offense then I think we could have signed Weber at 6ml and a long term contract...I added the last part but without knowing all the particulars I think that could have happened.

Old
08-16-2011, 10:29 PM
Adz
Eudora Wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by roseyc View Post
I think you said earlier in another post that if the Preds would have tried to attempt to sign or been involved with trying to get some offense then I think we could have signed Weber at 6ml and a long term contract...I added the last part but without knowing all the particulars I think that could have happened.
What I kept seeing was around a $7-7.5 m cap hit over 3-5 years. Who knows where they got their information--like me, they probably didn't have access to phone transcripts or dollar scribblings with Shea's name next to them. Anyway, yes, if DP had signed a hotshot sniper on July 1, I think Shea would have signed on the dotted line and we would have had some other controversy to shadow our summer. Because Nashville can't just sit around and be boring, no...they have to be boring and look bad to the hockey world at the same time.

Old
09-07-2011, 03:20 PM
TMI
Mod Supervisor

Ok so I didn't feel the need to start a new thread, but I am watching the Vancouver/San Jose series, and Ryan Kesler, the man who has had praise heaped upon him as if he is a warrior for all that is good and right in this world based on his play off disposition, just took a "high stick to the face", and sold it like snake oil...

****ing really? The same guy who sold the Weber "hook"? I hate that guy... a lot...

Again, I apologize. I will digress...

TMI is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-07-2011, 05:25 PM
JohniusMaximus
Digging the Sarchasm

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThirdManIn View Post
Ok so I didn't feel the need to start a new thread, but I am watching the Vancouver/San Jose series, and Ryan Kesler, the man who has had praise heaped upon him as if he is a warrior for all that is good and right in this world based on his play off disposition, just took a "high stick to the face", and sold it like snake oil...

****ing really? The same guy who sold the Weber "hook"? I hate that guy... a lot...

I hate him. I mean...he sank the Titanic.

JohniusMaximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-08-2011, 10:44 AM
Shea Weber

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThirdManIn View Post

He gels his hair. Enough said.

Old
09-08-2011, 11:11 AM
PredsChik

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shea Weber View Post
He gels his hair. Enough said.
you gel your hair.

Old
09-08-2011, 11:55 AM
Shea Weber

Quote:
Originally Posted by PredsChik20 View Post
you gel your hair.
DO NOT!

Old
09-08-2011, 01:09 PM
Viqsi
carrying the flag

Send a message via AIM to Viqsi
Lemme put it this way. I love RJ Umberger. RJ Umberger and Kesler, apparently owing to some bad blood from their OSU days and even more when they were both part of the Vancouver org, do not get along. Therefore Kesler is persona non grata to me.

...well, except during Olympics time. Then he's the hero who scored that empty-netter against Canada.

Viqsi is offline   Reply With Quote