HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Hockey News predicts Habs will finish 8th in East

Old
08-15-2011, 07:09 PM
Lafleurs Guy

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by FF de Mars View Post
It's obvious they will choose us over Toronto in the standings. They would look like fools otherwise.
They are offering their opinion on who will and won't make the playoffs and where they'll land. When it comes to us they've been pretty accurate outside of that fluke season where we came in first and the very next year they assumed we'd do it again...
Quote:
That they treat Montréal like outsiders.
How so? They consistently put us in the playoffs and are usually right about where we'll finish. On the other hand they consistently list Toronto as a non-playoff team.

How is Montreal treated as an outsider?

Lafleurs Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-15-2011, 07:22 PM
FF de Mars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lafleurs Guy View Post
They are offering their opinion on who will and won't make the playoffs and where they'll land. When it comes to us they've been pretty accurate outside of that fluke season where we came in first and the very next year they assumed we'd do it again...

How so? They consistently put us in the playoffs and are usually right about where we'll finish. On the other hand they consistently list Toronto as a non-playoff team.

How is Montreal treated as an outsider?
Because other teams are treated with the best case scenario.

FF de Mars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-15-2011, 10:07 PM
shello
@WShello9

Did you get the yearbook via mail or did you go buy it in the store? I'm asking because I want to go get it tomorrow but if you got it by mail I'll have to wait 3 days.

shello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-15-2011, 10:21 PM
hototogisu
Global Moderator
Poked the bear!!!!!

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by shello View Post
Did you get the yearbook via mail or did you go buy it in the store? I'm asking because I want to go get it tomorrow but if you got it by mail I'll have to wait 3 days.
I saw it on the weekend at a magazine store in the West Island so it should be out where you are too.

hototogisu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-15-2011, 11:18 PM
Lafleurs Guy

Quote:
Because other teams are treated with the best case scenario.
No they aren't. NJ and Carolina are treated with the worst case scenario.

As for 'best case' scenarios, didn't they pick us for 1st a few years back? Since then they've picked us 8th and that's pretty much where we've landed for the most part a couple of times just making the cut on the last day of the year.

And 8th is not the worst case scenario for us, 11th is. We might not even make the playoffs this year man. All the clubs ranked ahead of us could easily finish ahead and NJ and Carolina could pass us too. They could've easily ranked us 9th and put NJ in our spot.

I think we'll finish higher than 8th too but I can certainly understand why some folks would put us there. Two years ago our team was terrible. Last season it was better but we still didn't put too many goals in the net. You seem to think that we can ONLY improve... that's not the case. Price could have an off year and if that happens we're toast.

THN is just calling it as they see it.

Old
08-15-2011, 11:56 PM
HCH

Quote:
Originally Posted by montreal View Post
I have no fear of Kostitsyn turning into a LeClair sniper type. Imo he doesn't have the will to compete consistently night in and night out.
Apparently neither Gomez, Cammalleri have that will ... just to name a couple. But they ARE treated differently. I guess if you are a good interview, the lack of competitive drive is overlooked by the kindly old coach and others....

HCH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-16-2011, 12:19 AM
xposbrad

Quote:

As for 'best case' scenarios, didn't they pick us for 1st a few years back? Since then they've picked us 8th and that's pretty much where we've landed for the most part a couple of times just making the cut on the last day of the year.

And 8th is not the worst case scenario for us, 11th is. We might not even make the playoffs this year man. All the clubs ranked ahead of us could easily finish ahead and NJ and Carolina could pass us too. They could've easily ranked us 9th and put NJ in our spot.

I think we'll finish higher than 8th too but I can certainly understand why some folks would put us there. Two years ago our team was terrible. Last season it was better but we still didn't put too many goals in the net. You seem to think that we can ONLY improve... that's not the case. Price could have an off year and if that happens we're toast.

That's blasphemy on these boards!! We signed Eric Cole this year and no one else improved. We also have a huge signing of Wyotwhatever his name is, who Dallas did not want, but it's a 'depth' move even though he sucks.

xposbrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-16-2011, 12:49 AM
getyourselfsomerest

Quote:

hmm, a seemingly intelligent Habs fan These are predictions. They are fun to look at. I hate seeing the Leafs rated at tenth but I understand that they could very well be 10th. There have been reports that Connolly has worked harder than he ever has before this off-season. If he stays healthy and Reimer actually is the real deal then they definitely could make the playoffs. Same with the Habs. Yes they have Cole, Markov, and Gorges back, but a lot could go wrong. Cole didn't play well at all away from Eric Staal. Budaj isn't that much better than Auld leaving the potential for a top 10 pick in the draft should Price go down. Subban is in his sophomore year. Cammalleri has yet to play well in a season for the Habs. People act so butt hurt but they are just predictions. If you don't see how your team could end up 8th then get off the cherry kool-aid.

getyourselfsomerest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-16-2011, 03:17 AM
FF de Mars

Quote:

Some are, some aren't. The Flyers certainly don't seem 4th place worthy. And the Bruins finishing 3rd with deficient special units + SC hangover in a stronger division is far from objectivity... Buffalo has better odds than Boston... and so do we. They call penalties, during the regular season.

Old
08-16-2011, 08:56 AM
PricePkPatch

What I like this year is, it seems to me, there is a high volatility in the likely outcomes.

We could potentially end with the division if everything works REASONABLY well. And if things go reasonably bad, we miss the playoffs.

Will prolly be mid of the pack, tho.

PricePkPatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-16-2011, 09:04 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by PricePkPatch View Post
What I like this year is, it seems to me, there is a high volatility in the likely outcomes.

We could potentially end with the division if everything works REASONABLY well. And if things go reasonably bad, we miss the playoffs.

Will prolly be mid of the pack, tho.
Things went reasonably bad last year and we finished 6th. Almost none of our top players had big years(except Price). Gomez had a horrible year, Gio was average, Cammy was down, Pleks was average, Markov missed almost all year. Subban emerged 2nd half. AK was solid but had some dry spells.

The only question mark I see at this point is, can Markov stay reasonably healthy and can we find a 4th line faceoff/PK guy. We have enough depth up front that we can much better cope with a few injuries with guys like AK Eller and Desharnais along with "pinch hitter" Darche not in the top 6.

With Woywitka we have 10 potentially NHL calibre d-men(Markov Subban Gill Gorges Spacek Yemelin Weber Woywitka plus Mitera and Diaz AHL) to our disposal. That's about 3 more than we had last year.

Monctonscout is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-16-2011, 09:17 AM
habsrule22

Last year we started the season with Markov on IR. He will start this season healthy. PK will pick up where he left off last season. We have more depth on forwards, so much so that AK will start on the 3rd line. Gomez starts the season with something to prove, he has to have a better season and he knows it. Alot of things need to go wrong for this team to miss the play offs.

habsrule22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-16-2011, 09:18 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by habsrule22 View Post
Last year we started the season with Markov on IR. He will start this season healthy. PK will pick up where he left off last season. We have more depth on forwards, so much so that AK will start on the 3rd line. Gomez starts the season with something to prove, he has to have a better season and he knows it. Alot of things need to go wrong for this team to miss the play offs.
The only way I see us missing the playoffs is if Price takes a pretty big step backwards and Markov gets another major injury.

Old
08-16-2011, 09:29 AM
McSorleyStick
DECIMA-TING

LMAO Hockey News

And lol Caps Stanley Cup Champs

McSorleyStick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-16-2011, 10:00 AM
Kriss E

Quote:
Originally Posted by McSorleyStick View Post
LMAO Hockey News

Caps have done good moves. I don't think there's any questions as them being the favorites.

Kriss E is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-16-2011, 10:20 AM
Habs

Quote:
Originally Posted by McSorleyStick View Post
LMAO Hockey News

What's so funny about that? Caps are one of the most solid teams, they have all the tools, they are the logical team to pick as a favorite.

People have to get past the 'its cool to bash the Caps' at some point and give it a rest.

Habs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-16-2011, 10:21 AM
Mathradio
Go Roy Munson!

Quote:
Originally Posted by UniverStalinGraduate View Post
Once the bruins sign the rat they will in fact have considerably less cap space than the habs.

Also counter inthe fact that the Bruins are coming off a very long season (obviously) and had very good luck in terms of injuries for the season and playoffs I don't think the habs winning the division is out of reach at all.

To be honest I'm more worried about the Sabres than the Bruins next year. Although there's the chance that Seguin has a huge break out year.
The divisional title will be a season-long fight between the Sabres, the Bruins and us, with these teams as currently built.

Mathradio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-16-2011, 10:53 AM
29dryden29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habsfan18 View Post
...according to their annual yearbook.

1. Washington (Stanley Cup Champs)
2. Pittsburgh
3. Boston
4. Philadelphia
5. Buffalo
6. Tampa Bay
7. New York Rangers
8. Montreal

9. Carolina
10. Toronto
11. New Jersey
12. New York Islanders
13. Winnipeg
14. Florida
15. Ottawa

Plus, here's our current top 10 prospects according to them:

1. Louis Leblanc
2. Nathan Beaulieu
3. Jarred Tinordi
4. Danny Kristo
5. Alexander Avtsin
6. Michael Bournival
7. Aaron Palushaj
8. Joonas Nattinen
9. Mark MacMillan
10. Brendan Gallagher

edit: There's also an article on Subban/Gill.
Well unless Tinordi has a serious upswing in his game I am not to high on him. He didn't get PK or PP time much in London and only played less than 12 min a game in all the games I went to. He reminds me of Souray in all honesty he was not good positionaly and that says a lot on a rebuilding London Knights team.

29dryden29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-16-2011, 11:37 AM
McSorleyStick
DECIMA-TING

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs View Post
What's so funny about that? Caps are one of the most solid teams, they have all the tools, they are the logical team to pick as a favorite.

People have to get past the 'its cool to bash the Caps' at some point and give it a rest.
They are not winng the Cup this season

Maybe in 2013

McSorleyStick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-16-2011, 11:45 AM
Lafleurs Guy

Quote:
Some are, some aren't. The Flyers certainly don't seem 4th place worthy. And the Bruins finishing 3rd with deficient special units + SC hangover in a stronger division is far from objectivity... Buffalo has better odds than Boston... and so do we. They call penalties, during the regular season.
That's your opinion and you're entitled to it. That doesn't mean the magazine is against us, they simply don't agree with you on how things will shake out.

For the record, I agree that Philly is ranked too high and I also think we'll finish ahead of them. But that's a question of opinion not bias. I can understand why some folks would be higher on clubs like Philly than I am. Philly could suck or be awesome. Obviously the folks over there believe in Pronger, JVR, Giroux and the goaltending. There's certainly a lot of upside on that roster.

And Boston? Come on man, can you really sit there and blame the magazine for ranking them higher than us? Boston is coming off a cup win, have Godlike goaltending and were statistically better than us across the board last year. Yet, you sit there and talk like they have no business being ranked where they are... and yet, you claim that THN are biased?

Just because they don't rank us as highly as you do does not mean that they hate us or are playing us down. And your original comment on them favouring TO is completely off the mark.

Old
08-16-2011, 11:49 AM
Subban76

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kriss E View Post
Caps have done good moves. I don't think there's any questions as them being the favorites.
As long as Mr. Me my self and I Ovechkin is the leader of that bunch, yes there will be questions about them being favorites. Add Mr. I disapear in the playoffs Semin and Green and there are huge question marks about their leadership and capability of bringing it to the next level.

I'm not a believer in that group.

Subban76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-16-2011, 11:51 AM
Subban76

Quote:
Originally Posted by 29dryden29 View Post
Well unless Tinordi has a serious upswing in his game I am not to high on him. He didn't get PK or PP time much in London and only played less than 12 min a game in all the games I went to. He reminds me of Souray in all honesty he was not good positionaly and that says a lot on a rebuilding London Knights team.
Tinordi just had a great summer camp with the USA junior team. Huge massive D prospects usually take longer to develop. Just be patient, he is still growing into his body.

Subban76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-16-2011, 12:10 PM
29dryden29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subban76 View Post
Tinordi just had a great summer camp with the USA junior team. Huge massive D prospects usually take longer to develop. Just be patient, he is still growing into his body.
Well having hope is good I just do not see much for this kid unfortunatly as his dad was terrific.

29dryden29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-16-2011, 12:53 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kriss E View Post
A few good moves doesn't magically erase constantly being a playoff flop.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 29dryden29 View Post
You must have fell asleep during the games, I saw him play 12 or 13 times last year and he was between 20 to 24 minutes of ice time, with it going up in the 2nd half, he didn't get regular PP time but was a regular on PK.

Last edited by Habs 4 Life: 08-16-2011 at 12:59 PM.
Old
08-16-2011, 01:13 PM
FF de Mars

Quote:
That's your opinion and you're entitled to it. That doesn't mean the magazine is against us, they simply don't agree with you on how things will shake out.

For the record, I agree that Philly is ranked too high and I also think we'll finish ahead of them. But that's a question of opinion not bias. I can understand why some folks would be higher on clubs like Philly than I am. Philly could suck or be awesome. Obviously the folks over there believe in Pronger, JVR, Giroux and the goaltending. There's certainly a lot of upside on that roster.

And Boston? Come on man, can you really sit there and blame the magazine for ranking them higher than us? Boston is coming off a cup win, have Godlike goaltending and were statistically better than us across the board last year. Yet, you sit there and talk like they have no business being ranked where they are... and yet, you claim that THN are biased?

Just because they don't rank us as highly as you do does not mean that they hate us or are playing us down. And your original comment on them favouring TO is completely off the mark.
My point is that it could go either way for many teams, hence why I'm saying some are given the best case scenario. Like I said, using irony, Montréal is like another planet for those guys. They give the benefit of the doubt to other teams, but not to Montréal.