HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

[HabsHQ] All I Wanted for Christmas Is a New GM

Closed Thread

Old
08-15-2011, 12:20 AM
Coldplay
Courage

vCash: 500
Turtleneck Plek is a pro. The site's in good hands with him.

Old
08-15-2011, 08:43 AM
HH
GO HABS GO!

New blog up!

Wanted: A 13th Forward

http://habshq.com/2011/08/15/wanted-a-13th-forward/

Old
08-15-2011, 08:58 AM
bsl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turtleneck Plek View Post
The writing is being taken care of as we speak. Don't expect to see the mistakes in the first few articles happen again.
Did not mean to be harsh. The site is entertaining and interesting so far. And the writing has been decent. All I meant was do your editing, and it should be fine. Good Luck, I've got you bookmarked!

Old
08-15-2011, 09:25 AM
Turtleneck Plek
Real Life

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsl View Post
Did not mean to be harsh. The site is entertaining and interesting so far. And the writing has been decent. All I meant was do your editing, and it should be fine. Good Luck, I've got you bookmarked!
No problem. You weren't all that harsh, I just thought the criticism was unwarranted after less than a week. Harry has since let me take over the editing and while I'm not perfect, it'll raise the quality of the blog at least in terms of mistakes. Our writers have lots of potential, they just need to be guided in the right direction.

Happy you're sticking with us, hopefully within the next few weeks we'll be able to convince most people that we are legit.

Loudi, you should throw a PM HarryI's way. I could always use some help with editing, especially by a pro.

Shawn, awesome article!

Old
08-15-2011, 09:59 AM
neofury*

Glad to see no mention of Darche in that article.

Old
08-15-2011, 10:07 AM
WG

I'll throw in my unsolicited two cents on the 13th forward article. I generally liked it, and at least you offered a bit of opinion and analysis regarding UFA options like Mair, who I hadn't really considered much.

But in the Engqvist discussion, you made reference to Gomez being dealt and hell freezing over etc. IMO, if you want your blog to be viewed seriously, you cannot let personal biases creep in. For one, presence or absence of Gomez, the presumptive #2 centre, has nothing to do at all with 13th forward candidates. And for two, it is possible to raise the possibility of dealing Gomez and creating a spot for Engqvist without the editorial of flying pigs and such. That type of extra commentary looks bush league, sorry.

Lord knows we have enough threads on this site which end up as Gomez bashfests or complaints about 7.3M salary which had nothing to do with gomez to start with. And Lord knows the mainstream media covering the Habs already have a whole storehouse of axes to grind. You want to stand out from the crowd, keep up the reasoned, articulate analysis and leave the whiny stuff to others.

Finally, back to the point re. Gomez and Engqvist. If the Habs do trade Gomez, I still do not see that as having anything to do with Engqvist. Trade Gomez, free up 7.3M in cap, and then go with Plek-Eller-DD-Engqvist as the centre depth? Can't see it. Any trade of gomez will almost assuredly be followed by the acquisition of a clear top-9 centre who fits on a scoring line. Engqvist will make the team or not based on his ability to thrive in that 4th line checking/faceoff role.

Keep up the good work, though.

Old
08-15-2011, 11:02 AM
Crimson Skorpion
Global Moderator

vCash: 50
Awards:
Thanks for the advice. Generally I like adding in a little bit of humor with a wink and a nod, but if it detracts too much from the seriousness and makes it bush-league then I'll refrain from it in the future.

Old
08-15-2011, 01:37 PM
HH
GO HABS GO!

http://habshq.com/2011/08/15/welcome-jeff-woywitka/

Welcome Jeff Woywitka.

Scouts and ex coaches talk about him. Enjoy!

Old
08-15-2011, 01:56 PM
Crimson Skorpion
Global Moderator

Awards:
Solid work on that Woywitka article.

Old
08-15-2011, 01:59 PM
habitue*

Quote:
Originally Posted by WG View Post
I'll throw in my unsolicited two cents on the 13th forward article. I generally liked it, and at least you offered a bit of opinion and analysis regarding UFA options like Mair, who I hadn't really considered much.

But in the Engqvist discussion, you made reference to Gomez being dealt and hell freezing over etc. IMO, if you want your blog to be viewed seriously, you cannot let personal biases creep in. For one, presence or absence of Gomez, the presumptive #2 centre, has nothing to do at all with 13th forward candidates. And for two, it is possible to raise the possibility of dealing Gomez and creating a spot for Engqvist without the editorial of flying pigs and such. That type of extra commentary looks bush league, sorry.

Lord knows we have enough threads on this site which end up as Gomez bashfests or complaints about 7.3M salary which had nothing to do with gomez to start with. And Lord knows the mainstream media covering the Habs already have a whole storehouse of axes to grind. You want to stand out from the crowd, keep up the reasoned, articulate analysis and leave the whiny stuff to others.

Finally, back to the point re. Gomez and Engqvist. If the Habs do trade Gomez, I still do not see that as having anything to do with Engqvist. Trade Gomez, free up 7.3M in cap, and then go with Plek-Eller-DD-Engqvist as the centre depth? Can't see it. Any trade of gomez will almost assuredly be followed by the acquisition of a clear top-9 centre who fits on a scoring line. Engqvist will make the team or not based on his ability to thrive in that 4th line checking/faceoff role.

Keep up the good work, though.
The 13th forward spot will be given to Engqvist or Blunden depending if their performance at the Camp (or because injuries)

Old
08-15-2011, 01:59 PM
ROEN
HabsHQ

thanks ! still formatting it, I want it to look like it's a 3 part piece, the first being from around the web, the second from Brad Gardner and the third from his ex coach and GM.

It'll make it easier to read !

Old
08-15-2011, 03:49 PM
HH
GO HABS GO!

Seems he has potential but everyone said he does too many boneheaded plays.

Old
08-15-2011, 04:06 PM
capebretoncanadien

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sports1131 View Post
I think the reason people are being more critical about the content is that they can see potential. The site itself looks cleaner and more professional than some of the other blogs so I think people are giving it a more thorough look.
This guy gets it.

The people criticizing are bringing some good stuff to the table anyway.

The Woywitka report was exceptional.

Bookmarked

Old
08-15-2011, 04:47 PM
Natedawg
Lars Eller

Love the banner. The dynamic player image is a great idea.

Well done.

Old
08-15-2011, 07:39 PM
HH
GO HABS GO!

Quote:
Originally Posted by capebretoncanadien View Post
This guy gets it.

The people criticizing are bringing some good stuff to the table anyway.

The Woywitka report was exceptional.

Bookmarked
Awesome.

Old
08-15-2011, 08:20 PM
Capitano

Site is awesome guys...great work! It is definitely in my daily surfing routine now. Keep up the great work!

Old
08-16-2011, 12:07 AM
Analyzer
#WeAreBoston

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turtleneck Plek View Post
The article was well done and all, don't get me wrong.

As for criticism, I just made fun of Asterix's blog all the time. Shot it down and all. I was a dick then, but stopped doing that to him since he does put effort into it.

I didn't read Neo's, or Crimson's (No offense) I'm lazy like that. Though, when I saw it had a "staff" (I guess that's what you'd call it), videos, a guy who actually works on web hosting and whatnot (Jee You go, man!) I figured I'd check it out and try to help in my own little way.

As for the Bonneau- Conboy thing. I've done that a ton of times on here. A god damn ton.

Old
08-16-2011, 02:59 AM
99GoHabsGo99
MontrealCanadiens200

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natedawg View Post
Love the banner. The dynamic player image is a great idea.

Well done.
me too

Old
08-16-2011, 05:11 AM
Turtleneck Plek
Real Life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Analyzer View Post
The article was well done and all, don't get me wrong.

As for criticism, I just made fun of Asterix's blog all the time. Shot it down and all. I was a dick then, but stopped doing that to him since he does put effort into it.

I didn't read Neo's, or Crimson's (No offense) I'm lazy like that. Though, when I saw it had a "staff" (I guess that's what you'd call it), videos, a guy who actually works on web hosting and whatnot (Jee You go, man!) I figured I'd check it out and try to help in my own little way.

As for the Bonneau- Conboy thing. I've done that a ton of times on here. A god damn ton.
Hey no offense taken man, I was just riding for my side. And yeah, I don't spend much time thinking about AHL agitators so I tend to mix them up a lot.

Old
08-16-2011, 06:13 AM
Crimson Skorpion
Global Moderator

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Analyzer View Post
None taken. There's hundreds of people who create a blogspot or tumblr account and if you read them all, you wouldn't have much of a life.

But honestly, keep it up with the criticism. It's been constructive thus far and has helped.

Old
08-16-2011, 06:41 AM
loadie
Official Beer Taster

Good job. When the season starts is when you'll really earn your stripes.

The French Canadian rule: Read about it, go to bed smarter.

http://ultimatehockeynetwork.com/the...-or-fiction-2/
Old
08-16-2011, 09:07 AM
Pavelec4MVP
MVP! MVP! MVP!

cool site HarryI

Love the different banners. They are pretty sharp.

Most Valuable Player
Most Valuable Player
Old
08-16-2011, 09:21 AM
HH
GO HABS GO!

New story up!

Happy Birthday Carey.

http://habshq.com/2011/08/16/happy-birthday-carey/

Reflecting his time with the Habs. Enjoy.

Last edited by HH: 08-16-2011 at 09:41 AM.
Old
08-16-2011, 09:31 AM
macavoy

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryI View Post
New story up!

Happy Birthday Carey.

http://habshq.com/2011/08/15/happy-birthday-carey/

Reflecting his time with the Habs. Enjoy.
Link isn't working.

I will probably never bookmark the site but if you keep having regular contributions, it will end up in my frequent history and I'll keep visiting it more.

I really enjoyed the new dman article. You didn't really add a lot of your own content but you didn't need to, you going and digging up what other people said about him is really valuable. That is the type of thing that will keep me coming back.

As much as I love Apron Basu, I don't have his site bookmarked or read him daily, I merely wait until someone on HF posts about his article, then I usually find it a good read. With the HF partner system, I think with your group of contributers, you will really see this thread bumped often and become a mainstream for many people. I think your going to see continued growth for a while. But keep learning and keep up the good work.

I'm impressed with how much better your articles have gotten since your first article. I think the negative feedback about that article combined with the positive feedback about your other articles, will result in your writers realizing that trashing people unnecessarily won't make them popular and they better have the goods before they trash & bash.

Old
08-16-2011, 09:48 AM
HH
GO HABS GO!

Quote:
Originally Posted by macavoy View Post
Link isn't working.

I will probably never bookmark the site but if you keep having regular contributions, it will end up in my frequent history and I'll keep visiting it more.

I really enjoyed the new dman article. You didn't really add a lot of your own content but you didn't need to, you going and digging up what other people said about him is really valuable. That is the type of thing that will keep me coming back.

As much as I love Apron Basu, I don't have his site bookmarked or read him daily, I merely wait until someone on HF posts about his article, then I usually find it a good read. With the HF partner system, I think with your group of contributers, you will really see this thread bumped often and become a mainstream for many people. I think your going to see continued growth for a while. But keep learning and keep up the good work.

I'm impressed with how much better your articles have gotten since your first article. I think the negative feedback about that article combined with the positive feedback about your other articles, will result in your writers realizing that trashing people unnecessarily won't make them popular and they better have the goods before they trash & bash.
Link fixed. Sorry about that.

Also, thanks for the feedback. We are all working really hard to bring this together.

Closed Thread