HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

Jagr expectations?

Closed Thread

Old
08-16-2011, 09:43 AM
Codith

vCash: 500
If Richie and Carter can put up 60 points, there is no reason a healthy Jagr can't do the same.

It is hard to say how well he can adapt when he comes back, but he will be playing with some talented guys "Briere,Giroux,JVR,Voracek"

He has a ceiling that could reach 80 points if he plays the majority of the season.

The biggest benefit of having jagr is the knowledge and experience he brings to the younger players on this team. That kind of thing usually goes overlooked, but having Jagr+Pronger is definitely a benefit, even if they are passed their prime.

Old
08-16-2011, 10:24 AM
Start Leighton*

I think Jagr can go 30-30 but more realistically I think he goes 20-25g and 25 assists.

Old
08-16-2011, 10:36 AM
livewell68

Quote:
Originally Posted by Codith View Post
If Richie and Carter can put up 60 points, there is no reason a healthy Jagr can't do the same.

It is hard to say how well he can adapt when he comes back, but he will be playing with some talented guys "Briere,Giroux,JVR,Voracek"

He has a ceiling that could reach 80 points if he plays the majority of the season.

The biggest benefit of having jagr is the knowledge and experience he brings to the younger players on this team. That kind of thing usually goes overlooked, but having Jagr+Pronger is definitely a benefit, even if they are passed their prime.
I think if anything it's adapting to the team, finding chemistry with his teammates and adapting to the system that will be the only issue.

I think adapting to the NHL game again won't be a problem, he's already training in Kladno and he's doing drills that are fit for the NHL. He knows what to expect, this is a league he dominated for over a decade. He's a big, strong guy and has been relatively lucky for not having suffered any serious injuries (other than the dislocated shoulder that require reconstructive surgery but he's fully healed from that).

He's healthy now, he's more fit, he has trimmed down and that can only help his agility and quickness on his skates.

Most people that are expecting to get around 50-60 Pts think he's not going to be able to handle the physicality of the NHl and the grind of the season and that he's too slow to keep up with the rest of the NHL.

He was slow post-lockout and yet had 123, 96 and 71 Pts in that span and was above PPG in the 3 combined playoffs. That was due in large for being 245 lbs.

He's 225 lbs now, being more slim can only help his speed. The hands, passing, vision, stickhandling and shooting he possesses haven't left him just yet. His size will allow to win battles along the boards.

He's tailor made for the NHL.

Last edited by livewell68: 08-16-2011 at 10:49 AM.
Old
08-16-2011, 10:45 AM
livewell68

Quote:
Originally Posted by jagrfan420 View Post
I think Jagr can go 30-30 but more realistically I think he goes 20-25g and 25 assists.
I know I seem to always defend Jagr...

You are a Jagr fan right? Do you honestly see him getting less than 70 Pts?

Remember Jagr is a playmaker first and foremost. The Flyers have a lot of good offense and if Jagr has a hard time getting 30 goals, the assists will be there.

In New York in 2007-08 the team had terrible offense outside of Jagr and he still got 71 Pts. At the time he was 245 lbs, he was tired, was very slow and yet got those numbers and then dominated the playoffs with 15 Pts in 10 games.

I really don't see him getting less than 50 assists.

Old
08-16-2011, 10:54 AM
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline

Quote:
Originally Posted by jags6868 View Post

Remember Jagr is a playmaker first and foremost. The Flyers have a lot of good offense and if Jagr has a hard time getting 30 goals, the assists will be there.

In New York in 2007-08 the team had terrible offense outside of Jagr and he still got 71 Pts. At the time he was 245 lbs, he was tired, was very slow and yet got those numbers and then dominated the playoffs with 15 Pts in 10 games.

Is my sarcasm meter broken or do you actually believe this stuff is going to happen?

Old
08-16-2011, 11:11 AM
mm6492

Quote:

We get it, you love the dude. But just stop, other people can have there own (realistic) opinions on Jagr if they want too. Every time someone posts, you defend the dude.

Old
08-16-2011, 11:30 AM
Start Leighton*

Quote:

I hope he can break 70+ points and that it is in the realm of possibility. Although if I remember right he hasn't looked too good in international play the last couple of years and we all know that the KHL isn't near the talent level the NHL has.

Old
08-16-2011, 12:07 PM
livewell68

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Shafer View Post
Is my sarcasm meter broken or do you actually believe this stuff is going to happen?
Expecting a player who has led the league in assists 3 times, who has broken the 60 assists barrier 8 times (including 3 more times with a 60 + assists pace), gotten 80 assists or more twice, to get 50 assists is not believable? Playmaking ability doesn't regress as much as other skill sets and Jagr's passing and vision are still world class.

Do you know that playmakers usually tend to still rack up assists even as they age?

See Francis, Oates for examples.

Old
08-16-2011, 12:16 PM
livewell68

Quote:
Originally Posted by Start Leighton* View Post
I hope he can break 70+ points and that it is in the realm of possibility. Although if I remember right he hasn't looked too good in international play the last couple of years and we all know that the KHL isn't near the talent level the NHL has.
Jagr was named the best forward at the recent World Championships and had 9 Pts in 8 matches (including a hattrick agains USA) and outplayed guys like Ovechkin and Kovalchuk rather significantly in the tournament.

As for the KHL comment, it has already been discussed. We all agree that the KHL is an inferior league but regardless it is a different league. It's lower scoring and they are very stingy on counting secondary assists. Also the larger ice benefits smaller, pure finess guys a lot more than big, skilled players like Ovechkin, Kovalchuk and Jagr.

Jagr couldn't play his puck possession, cycling game in the KHL. He had to learn to play the game a lot more like he used in the early 90's. More one on one, more rushes and far less puck possession.

For Jagr to be at his best, he needs to be able to balance both styles out, cycling and if required to beat guys one on one, he can still do it as his hands are legendary.

Old
08-16-2011, 07:04 PM
It Was 4 to 1
Penguins MVPs

Quote:
Jagr was named the best forward at the recent World Championships and had 9 Pts in 8 matches (including a hattrick agains USA) and outplayed guys like Ovechkin and Kovalchuk rather significantly in the tournament.

As for the KHL comment, it has already been discussed. We all agree that the KHL is an inferior league but regardless it is a different league. It's lower scoring and they are very stingy on counting secondary assists. Also the larger ice benefits smaller, pure finess guys a lot more than big, skilled players like Ovechkin, Kovalchuk and Jagr.

Jagr couldn't play his puck possession, cycling game in the KHL. He had to learn to play the game a lot more like he used in the early 90's. More one on one, more rushes and far less puck possession.

For Jagr to be at his best, he needs to be able to balance both styles out, cycling and if required to beat guys one on one, he can still do it as his hands are legendary.
this is my expectation for jagr this season

Old
08-16-2011, 07:17 PM
YuioIklo

vCash: 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rompus Rex View Post
this is my expectation for jagr this season

Not that great, Jagr got back up.

Notice Ovechkin just looking at him score?

Old
08-17-2011, 01:48 AM
It Was 4 to 1
Penguins MVPs

Quote:
Originally Posted by YuioIklo View Post
Not that great, Jagr got back up.

Notice Ovechkin just looking at him score?
olympics > world championship

also wasn't ovechkin's man to pick up

Old
08-17-2011, 07:18 AM
livewell68

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rompus Rex View Post
olympics > world championship

also wasn't ovechkin's man to pick up
What did Ovechkin do in that Olympics btw? He had 4 Pts in 4 games, not that much better than Jagr who had 3 in 5. I also recall Ovechkin playing terribly in that 7-3 blowout suffered at the hands of Canada.

As for the Jagr goal, Ovechkin was the one that lost the puck, so any player's responsibility there would be to hustle back. Jagr skated with speed and scored a nice goal.

One hit doesn't define a player's career.

Jagr has 1599 Pts, I doubt that hit phased him. He got back up and actually continued playing really well in that game even after that hit.

Great players get hit sometimes too. Jagr admits he kept his head down and he got hit.

Sundin hit Jagr pretty bad in one game back in the late 90's. Did this hit define Jagr's career? Did he get hit like this all the time because for one time he got hit? If I recall, after this hit he won 2 more Art Ross trophies and 2 more Pearsons.

You watch and see what Jagr does this season.

Last edited by livewell68: 08-17-2011 at 07:50 AM.
Old
08-17-2011, 07:41 AM
DUHockey9

You have to be Jagr's mom or wife or relative of some kind. This is absurd.

Old
08-17-2011, 07:49 AM
Spongolium*
Potato Magician

Why are you such a jagr freak. Does he have a restraining order put on you?

You sound like some 12 year old kid with a crush.

Old
08-17-2011, 07:52 AM
livewell68

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spongolium View Post
Why are you such a jagr freak. Does he have a restraining order put on you?

You sound like some 12 year old kid with a crush.
Why does it matter if I defend him?

If someone goes and posts stupid clips of Jagr getting hit one time and claiming that this will be a trend, of course I'm going to defend him. He's my favorite player and I feel passionate about it when people insult him.

People that like Gretzky, Lemieux... do the same thing.

I'm doing it with my favorite player.

Old
08-17-2011, 08:10 AM
Giroux tha Damaja

Send a message via AIM to Giroux tha Damaja
This makes me want Tollefson back.

Old
08-17-2011, 09:33 AM
MrHockey1982

Quote:
Why does it matter if I defend him?

If someone goes and posts stupid clips of Jagr getting hit one time and claiming that this will be a trend, of course I'm going to defend him. He's my favorite player and I feel passionate about it when people insult him.

People that like Gretzky, Lemieux... do the same thing.

I'm doing it with my favorite player.

Dude you need to chill out. Everyone knows Jagr was a great player and will be in the HOF. I think it's cool to be passionate, see my arm lol. But imagine how much defending you would have to do if your favorite player were, say, Crosby?? You would have to defend him forever. Just believe that you are right about how good he will be and be fine with that. Most people on here will never change their mind about anything they believe anyways. So basically, you are just wasting your time and energy trying to convince them. I hope he does great but if he does as well as you think then just about everyone will be surpised.

Old
08-17-2011, 09:48 AM
Spongolium*
Potato Magician

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giroux tha Damaja View Post
This makes me want Tollefson back.
Please don't ever think like that again

Old
08-17-2011, 09:49 AM
livewell68

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrHockey1982 View Post
Dude you need to chill out. Everyone knows Jagr was a great player and will be in the HOF. I think it's cool to be passionate, see my arm lol. But imagine how much defending you would have to do if your favorite player were, say, Crosby?? You would have to defend him forever. Just believe that you are right about how good he will be and be fine with that. Most people on here will never change their mind about anything they believe anyways. So basically, you are just wasting your time and energy trying to convince them. I hope he does great but if he does as well as you think then just about everyone will be surpised.
Thanks, I really appreciate your feedback and your advice. I guess I tend to sound like a ****** bag sometimes and might rub some posters the wrong way. My bad.

BTW, that's a sick tattoo, it's great to see that some people are really passionate about hockey and their favorite teams.

Old
08-17-2011, 09:53 AM
Spongolium*
Potato Magician

Quote:
Thanks, I really appreciate your feedback and your advice. I guess I tend to sound like a ****** bag sometimes and might rub some posters the wrong way. My bad.

BTW, that's a sick tattoo, it's great to see that some people are really passionate about hockey and their favorite teams.
It's the fact that you are calling people out on everything and anything. You realise people have different opinions to you right?

Old
08-17-2011, 10:18 AM
livewell68

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spongolium View Post
It's the fact that you are calling people out on everything and anything. You realise people have different opinions to you right?
I do realize it yes. Again I'm sorry. Everyone is entitled to their opinion and I should respect other people's opinions. I guess if I were to argue, maybe tone it down.

In the end, we shall just see how well Jagr does. As mentioned, if he does as well as I think he will, all Flyers and Jagr fans will be happy.

Old
08-17-2011, 10:18 AM
MrHockey1982

Quote:

No problem I was a little bit like you when I was younger so it's understandable. Thanks for the compliment. My passion really shines through during playoff time and I let my emotions get the best of me so don't feel so badly.

But for instance, I live in the NYC area and play in several hockey leagues here. As you can imagine, almost everyone up here is a Devils and Rangers fan. I wear my Flyers hat every time I go play hockey and get dirty looks here and there. For a while I felt obligated to defend the Flyers wherever I went but it made no difference and just got me aggravated.

So now that I've been up here for over 5 years my friends are used to it. When they make a comment I just laugh it off and joke back about their teams with them. It's all in good fun you know? But when someone sees a reaction or you taking it too seriously, that's when they will continue to push your buttons. So as I suggested earlier, just be happy knowing that Jagr was and is a great player instead of trying to change everyone's mind. It's not likely to happen. That being said, if he does play as well as you say then you will look like a genius. I hope he does!

Old
08-17-2011, 11:48 AM
kicksave27

It's still going to be the weirdest thing in the history of ever when I see him step on the ice in a flyers jersey.

And he kinda screwed over the pens by signing with us, I'm all for the guy.

Old
08-17-2011, 11:52 AM
Hollywood Couturier

Just so you guys know, you can bash Peter Forsberg all you want, I won't defend him like crazy. I don't care if other people don't like my favorite player.

I can't believe we have a new Wolfy, except dare I say worse?

"I Came Here To Bury Caesar, Not Praise Him" - Roy Halladay
Closed Thread