HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Crowd in the crease (Leighton)

Old
08-15-2011, 12:17 PM
phillyfanatic

vCash: 500
I.....Nah

phillyfanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-15-2011, 12:23 PM
GoneFullHextall
Fire Berube

Leighton is the Jason Krog or Alexandre Giroux of goaltending.

GoneFullHextall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-15-2011, 03:14 PM
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoneFullHolmgren View Post
Leighton is the Jason Krog or Alexandre Giroux of goaltending.
Got to hand it to him though....I think he set a league record for definitively proving he is a career AHLer..not even a career NHL backup.

He's beaten consummate NHL backups Mike Smith, Dan Ellis, Boucher and even Jason "HannaBarbera."

FreshPerspective is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-16-2011, 08:22 AM
DUHockey9

Quote:
Originally Posted by phillyfanatic View Post
I.....Nah
Have you changed your tune on Leighton yet?

DUHockey9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-16-2011, 08:38 AM
Giroux tha Damaja

Send a message via AIM to Giroux tha Damaja
I hope he doesn't get the balls to complain about wherever they tell him to play. Guy damn near stole 600k a year for two years from the Flyers. It would be hilarious if he felt entitled to a job in the NHL just because he convinced someone to pay him like he was.

Giroux tha Damaja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-16-2011, 09:02 AM
pelts35.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giroux tha Damaja View Post
I hope he doesn't get the balls to complain about wherever they tell him to play. Guy damn near stole 600k a year for two years from the Flyers. It would be hilarious if he felt entitled to a job in the NHL just because he convinced someone to pay him like he was.
Safe to say that he won't. He could have gone down to Adirondack last year, sulked and went through the motions. Instead he played his a** off and put up amazing numbers on that putrid team.

pelts35.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-16-2011, 09:03 AM
Jester

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spongolium View Post
Grow up. Go find the quote of him "ripping" into the D. His attitude has never been the problem. It is just the fact that he sucks.
Multiple articles came out after the season discussing problems with Leighton... the most glaring being an insinuation that at some point he insinuated that he hoped one of Boucher/Bob got hurt.

Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-16-2011, 09:43 AM
JLHockeyKnight
IMA Real American

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
Multiple articles came out after the season discussing problems with Leighton... the most glaring being an insinuation that at some point he insinuated that he hoped one of Boucher/Bob got hurt.
Not disagreeing with you, but in all honesty, in his position, does anyone honestly expect a 3rd goaltender to NOT feel this way?

JLHockeyKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-16-2011, 09:49 AM
CSKA1974

On a side note: Bob got married today as per "Sovetskiy Sport". No more running to Canada for sex

CSKA1974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-16-2011, 10:37 AM
Jester

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLHockeyKnight View Post
Not disagreeing with you, but in all honesty, in his position, does anyone honestly expect a 3rd goaltender to NOT feel this way?
No, but I do expect you to be smart enough to avoid having that publicly known. I think it was Meltzer talking about how Leighton rubbed members of the team the wrong way with his attitude (believe Briere was specifically mentioned, but it was a while ago).

You can contrast that with Boucher and how he was clearly a fantastic teammate throughout all his travails here.

Old
08-16-2011, 10:58 AM
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!

All you Leigton and Zherdev haters are wrong! Both of them are professional NHL caliber players and all the criticism is just pure blind seething "hate."

Old
08-16-2011, 11:16 AM
tuckrr

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSKA1974 View Post
On a side note: Bob got married today as per "Sovetskiy Sport". No more running to Canada for sex
How does that affect his citizenship /Thursday ability to get a drivers license?

tuckrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-16-2011, 11:36 AM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beefitor

Well he isn't a citizen. He's just here on a work visa. I don't know exactly how it works with spouses, but I imagine it means she will have an easier time getting a travel visa to spend the season with him.

08-16-2011, 11:39 AM
tuckrr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beef Invictus View Post
Well he isn't a citizen. He's just here on a work visa. I don't know exactly how it works with spouses, but I imagine it means she will have an easier time getting a travel visa to spend the season with him.
oh she's in russia?

i missed that...

tuckrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-16-2011, 11:40 AM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beefitor

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuckrr View Post
oh she's in russia?

i missed that...
Yeah. I assume he's married his Russian girlfriend. She couldn't get a US travel visa to stay with him here, so they were meeting up in Canada.

Beef Invictus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-16-2011, 11:50 AM
BernieParent

Quote:
That was very insinuative. And plenty wrong, despite the natural inclination to want to play. I can, though, see the disparity between Boucher's situation -- ie, in the decline of his career -- and Leighton's, where he thought (and I can't stress this word enough) he could be breaking through to become a legit starter. But with the hidden back problems and the emergence of Bob, it's just too bad for Leighton that his average skill set didn't have a place on the big club.

Going by memory, I believe there was a quote where he tried to absolve himself of blame during the SC finals, and the one saying O'Donnell "has to make that play" to block the OT winner, IIRC. It is good of Leighton (no sarcasm here) that he took the high road and worked hard in Adirondack.

BernieParent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-16-2011, 12:15 PM
captainpaxil

i hope leights comes and really brings it in camp making the decision as hard as possible to send him down and see if he can help win us a calder cup this year.

captainpaxil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-16-2011, 12:32 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beefitor

That would be the worst possible outcome. The LAST thing we need is Homer and Lavi getting tricked into thinking that Leighton is a real NHL goalie again.

Beef Invictus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-16-2011, 12:45 PM
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!

Quote:
Originally Posted by captainpaxil View Post
i hope leights comes and really brings it in camp making the decision as hard as possible to send him down and see if he can help win us a calder cup this year.
Um his contract makes it pretty easy to bury him in the AHL..that and his suckitude....

Old
08-16-2011, 12:52 PM
pelts35.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by captainpaxil View Post
Unless Leighton puts up a 0.00 GAA and 1.000 save %age in preseason games and doesn't let in a single goal during TC, I don't see Homer and Lavi giving Leighton any consideration to making the Flyers roster.

There aren't many stone cold locks, but Leighton being in Adirondack with Bacashihua is as close to one as there is.

Old
08-16-2011, 01:31 PM
JLHockeyKnight
IMA Real American

Quote:
No, but I do expect you to be smart enough to avoid having that publicly known. I think it was Meltzer talking about how Leighton rubbed members of the team the wrong way with his attitude (believe Briere was specifically mentioned, but it was a while ago).

You can contrast that with Boucher and how he was clearly a fantastic teammate throughout all his travails here.
I'm in total agreement with you, I just don't like the shocked/surprised expressions when we hear about him wanting them to get injured. Cause I'd expected every 3rd goalie in the league to wish for the same thing.

JLHockeyKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-16-2011, 01:56 PM
Jester

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLHockeyKnight View Post
I'm in total agreement with you, I just don't like the shocked/surprised expressions when we hear about him wanting them to get injured. Cause I'd expected every 3rd goalie in the league to wish for the same thing.
In their heart of hearts... maybe. Wishing injuries on guys is *ing cold, though. Bad karma, and, more importantly, bad "team" attitude there.

Old
08-16-2011, 02:10 PM
JagerPuck

Send a message via AIM to JagerPuck
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrDoom View Post
All you Leigton and Zherdev haters are wrong! Both of them are professional NHL caliber players and all the criticism is just pure blind seething "hate."
You dont know ****.

JagerPuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-16-2011, 02:11 PM
pelts35.com

Quote:
In their heart of hearts... maybe. Wishing injuries on guys is *ing cold, though. Bad karma, and, more importantly, bad "team" attitude there.
If he had a bad "team" attitude, he wouldn't have played as well as he did in Adirondack. It would have been very easy for him to mail it in for the rest of the season, but he did anything but. For any goalie in 30 games on that putrid team to finish 5th in the AHL in GAA, save %age and 7th in shutouts could not possibly have a bad "team" attitude.

Old
08-16-2011, 02:51 PM
Jester

Quote:
Originally Posted by pelts35.com View Post
If he had a bad "team" attitude, he wouldn't have played as well as he did in Adirondack. It would have been very easy for him to mail it in for the rest of the season, but he did anything but. For any goalie in 30 games on that putrid team to finish 5th in the AHL in GAA, save %age and 7th in shutouts could not possibly have a bad "team" attitude.
So, you don't think there's any selfish motivation for players (especially demoted players) to play well?

I mean, seriously, do you not see the gaping hole in that theory? Go down there, pout, and play like ass and you have zero shot of getting back to the NHL.

Quite easy to have a bad "team" attitude and play well for selfish reasons... especially as a goalie.