HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

30 in 30

Old
08-15-2011, 07:52 AM
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses

vCash: 500
30 in 30

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=5...d-rr-headlines

Habs 4 Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-15-2011, 08:55 AM
Andy

Good read. It looks like who ever wrote this article actually watched the Habs play!

Andy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-15-2011, 09:10 AM
beowulf
Poster of the Year!

Send a message via MSN to beowulf
Good article that shows the potential for a good season is there but nothing is guaranteed.

beowulf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-15-2011, 09:36 AM
Protest the Hero

People seem to forget that aside from Goals Scored, the Habs are near the top of the league in every other category. Hopefully a full year of 100% Pacioretty and Cole can help our weakest asset.

Protest the Hero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-15-2011, 09:54 AM
11Goat11
Inside her

Very fair article. It is not cheerleading but it explains why some of us here believe the Habs will be a legit threat in the East this year.

Other than maybe goaltending the Habs aren't spectacular anywhere, just solid everywhere. I think Cole will help the 5 on 5 scoring and obviously having Markov and Gorges back should help the special teams, I think Gauthier did a good job addressing this teams needs. Can't wait for the season to start!

11Goat11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-15-2011, 11:47 AM
overlords
Global Moderator
Canada's Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Less Habitats View Post
People seem to forget that aside from Goals Scored, the Habs are near the top of the league in every other category. Hopefully a full year of 100% Pacioretty and Cole can help our weakest asset.
And having markov won't hurt

"overlords is one of my favorite people on this entire site." - Hfboards
overlords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-15-2011, 12:46 PM
Mathradio
Go Roy Munson!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Less Habitats View Post
The Habs are pretty solid on PP, PK, goaltending, but if, at the trade deadline the Habs were only one scorer away from going deep into the playoffs, who can likely be dealt?

Mathradio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-15-2011, 01:21 PM
FF de Mars

That writer went against the anglo media communist party line. Good for us ! I'm not saying it's wrong that every year we are underated. In the medias, we are kind of like an island. So it's normal. Only our rivals (the Bruins) seem to know how good we are.

FF de Mars is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-15-2011, 01:47 PM
eaglesmaster
HFB Partner

Quote:
On the flip side, Price had undoubtedly the best season of his career in 2010-11. He won 38 of the 72 games he appeared in, posting a 2.35 GAA and a .923 save percentage, all career highs. By all accounts, the 25-year-old should be able to maintain similar numbers going forward in his career.
Since when is price 25?

eaglesmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-15-2011, 02:33 PM
McNuts

Wow, reading this I just realized that Andrei Kostitsyn got 6 game winning goals.

If we stay relatively healthy, if Markov and Gorges can bounce back, if Price can maintain his excellence, if Andrei Kostitsyn and Pacioretty have good seasons, I think the Habs can actually be a top 8 contender.

I know that's a lot of ifs, but it's realistic.

McNuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-15-2011, 02:43 PM
Protest the Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by overlords View Post
And having markov won't hurt
Who? He must not be very good because he barely had any points last season and I don't hear about him as much as PK Subban...

It scares me that some people may actually think like the above statement.

Old
08-15-2011, 03:19 PM
Ozymandias
#firetherrien

Quote:
Originally Posted by 11Goat11 View Post
Very fair article. It is not cheerleading but it explains why some of us here believe the Habs will be a legit threat in the East this year.

Other than maybe goaltending the Habs aren't spectacular anywhere, just solid everywhere. I think Cole will help the 5 on 5 scoring and obviously having Markov and Gorges back should help the special teams, I think Gauthier did a good job addressing this teams needs. Can't wait for the season to start!
I highly disagree with that. We might be missing a bit of depth on D, but the core is spectacular, as the Habs first pairing is almost unmatched in the East, and is supported by very good and proven defensive Ds in Gorges and Gill, and some very valuable youth that can have an impact in Yemelin and Weber.

Ozymandias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-15-2011, 05:59 PM
dre

the potential is there for our d-corpse, but there are a lot of ifs.

Subban needs to continue to improve (unlike guys like doughty and myers who somewhat stalled last year)

Weber needs to establish himself

Spacek needs to reestablish himself

We know what we have with Gill and Gorges, but they shouldn't be overworked

dre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-15-2011, 06:15 PM
hogtownhabsfan

It's a fair article. There are quite a few question marks with the Habs, but if they balance about even we should be pretty comfortably in the playoffs. And if things go our way, we have the ingredients to make a run.

I expect Price to be every bit as good as last year, if he isn't we're in trouble, but I do expect it. Upfront we should be solid to good depending on how Pacioretty comes back, Cole fits in, and Eller develops.

On defense pretty much every player is a question mark but with upside. Subban could take the next step to superstar or he could sophomore slump. Markov could come back where he left off or he could be done if he got injured again. Gorges was looking like a great second pairing guy until he got hurt, while Emelin is likely the biggest unkown of them all! Gill should be Gill, and that's solid on a 3rd pairing, but there are question marks abound with our D. We also lack size and toughness, particularly on D.

All in all we should be better...

hogtownhabsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-15-2011, 08:53 PM
Fozz

Quote:
Originally Posted by McNuts View Post
Wow, reading this I just realized that Andrei Kostitsyn got 6 game winning goals.

If we stay relatively healthy, if Markov and Gorges can bounce back, if Price can maintain his excellence, if Andrei Kostitsyn and Pacioretty have good seasons, I think the Habs can actually be a top 8 contender.

I know that's a lot of ifs, but it's realistic.
Seriously, if all those things happen, the Habs will be fighting for the top of the conference, not for a mere playoff seed.

Fozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-15-2011, 09:20 PM
danyhabsfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by eaglesmaster View Post
Since when is price 25?
he's turning 24 tomorrow.

danyhabsfan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-16-2011, 01:22 AM
eaglesmaster
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by danyhabsfan View Post
he's turning 24 tomorrow.
thats my point , 24 =/= 25 last time I checked haha. It's a minor detail, but I always find it strange when mistakes like that are made when the information is so easy to find. took me what, all of 2 seconds to double check his age. And for a mistake like that to be on the nhl's home website is kinda silly.

eaglesmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-16-2011, 11:27 AM
ceciltaylor

Is it me or did they remove the 2 extra information boxes on the right? You had 'Players to Watch' and something else.. it's gone on all the pages.

ceciltaylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-16-2011, 12:06 PM
Protest the Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by ceciltaylor View Post
Is it me or did they remove the 2 extra information boxes on the right? You had 'Players to Watch' and something else.. it's gone on all the pages.
You're right, that's weird. I think Subban, Pacioretty and Eller were in the players to watch list but I didn't end up reading it.